User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-2014, 11:51 AM   #1
sailah OP
Lampin' it

Oddometer: 5,504
Moving a heavy hydraulic press...

I've always wanted a hydraulic press, even thought about building one. I have an extra 3 hp hydraulic power pack from my lift table experiment.

And I love auctions...well this little gem popped up an hour south of me so I decided to toss in a low ball bid and I went about my day of moving heavy machinery from one storage unit to the next.

I won. $75. Hoping I can rewire the motor to low voltage to get me down to 240 three phase or use my hydraulics. Thing is beefy as hell cripes.

So now I need to figure out how to rig this home. I called the auction house and they do not have a forklift for me to use. There is a possibility of using the bridge crane but that is not a guarantee.

My thoughts are to remove everything I can including the table, hydraulics, motor, electrical etc so I just have the bare frame.

Hopefully i can drive into the building with my trailer. I was thinking about rigging up a comealong to a beam and tipping it over then lowering it into the trailer. From there I really have no idea what I'm going to do with it.

Any and all wisdom welcome. There is a professional rigger I could call that is moving out the real heavy stuff but I have to think I could do this myself. And hopefully not kill myself. I have moved lots of heavy machinery up to about 3000# by myself but mostly lathes, big drill press, massive old woodworking machinery. Nothing this top heavy which is what has my a little concerned. If things just look dicey I could always pay the rigger to use their forklift I guess but I like a challenge.

For standard questions, I have come alongs, straps, slings, jacks, johnson bar. My trailer/truck combo is going to be my Tundra and a 5x10 utility trailer I know will hold 2700#. My truck has bags so I can put anything extra in it.

Guesses on weight? I'm thinking 2500#

Nessmuk
sailah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 11:58 AM   #2
larryboy
Chopper Rider

Oddometer: 14,259
You should have a steel sizes and weights handbook by now, right?

You can nail down the exact weight of this monster and for safety you really need to. 12" channel is about 30 pounds per foot.

Here, I searched for you:

www.coyotesteel.com/assets/img/PDFs/databook.pdf

A pipe fitters pocketbook is super handy to have too.
Old 11-20-2014, 12:19 PM   #3
sailah OP
Lampin' it

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryboy View Post
You should have a steel sizes and weights handbook by now, right?

You can nail down the exact weight of this monster and for safety you really need to. 12" channel is about 30 pounds per foot.

Here, I searched for you:

www.coyotesteel.com/assets/img/PDFs/databook.pdf

A pipe fitters pocketbook is super handy to have too.
I should, but I don't. Couple wild cards are how much the hydraulic cylinder apparatus weighs because I can't see it very well. And how much all the crap to left weighs. Also I don't know if the stuff to the left is bolted or welded on. Assuming welded.

I called the rigger and they want $250 to lift it and put it on my trailer. I thought that was a little steep considering they will be in there already and it's probably a 5 minute job. But I guess they got you by the short hairs on something like that.

I hope I can field strip it down to a reasonable number so my trailer can take the frame and I'll put everything else in the bed.

Also fun to know that I have no idea where I'm going to put this I can't fit it in my garage, I live in a rental at the moment that would never let me keep this thing anywhere. I'm calling everyone I know in RI/MA to see if I can drop it off somewhere. All of a sudden my $75 bid just got expensive.

But man what a sweet machine

Nessmuk
Old 11-20-2014, 01:15 PM   #4
gmk999
____ as a Rotax

Oddometer: 623
Can you not just bolt or weld it to skids (wood or metal) and slide it onto the trailer with a couple of comealongs? or heavy duty winch?
You can then bolt the skid to the deck for safer shipping.
#2500 or less

gmk999 screwed with this post 11-20-2014 at 01:20 PM
gmk999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 02:38 PM   #5
Wasser
Spilt my beer

Oddometer: 4,781
Wonder what it might cost to have a roll back tow truck move it for you?

If they can drag it up on the bed, strap it down and off you go.

When I left the exciting business of the automotive world, I had a flat bed wrecker pull my KRL1003 with a top box, up on the deck and tow it 35 miles to home. Cost $100

Worth every penny of my time & money.
Wasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 03:10 PM   #6
sailah OP
Lampin' it

The rollback was a thought but it's about 100 miles and I still need to pay the rigger to get it on the rollback. I'm feeling like the press purchase price was the cheap part of this, but if I can get it bought and delivered for $100 more than a Chicom special I'll be happy.

Anyone in New England was a long term soup can crusher loaner?

I can't wait to smash something with it

Nessmuk
Old 11-20-2014, 04:26 PM   #7
Wasser
Spilt my beer

Oddometer: 4,781
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailah View Post
I still need to pay the rigger to get it on the rollback.
Roll back truck/driver might have some car dollies that could be put underneath to get it up on the bed.

Having a beer and thinking out loud.
Wasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 05:43 PM   #8
PineyMountainRacing
Oops....

Oddometer: 2,184
Any landscaper friends with a set of forks for their skidsteer? The landscapers and tree guys down here totally love to hook up with someone who can fabricate and weld.

Any way to get it jacked up and back your trailer underneath of it? Do you know how much is bolted and how much is welded? Be sweet if it all came apart, easier to store that way. Have you seen it or just pics?

Edit - I guess you've got to figure out a plan for what happens after you get it loaded, where you going with it, how you're going to get it off and how it's going to be stored. Crap, this sounds like something I'd get myself into.

PineyMountainRacing screwed with this post 11-20-2014 at 05:55 PM
PineyMountainRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 06:21 PM   #9
sailah OP
Lampin' it

Quote:
Originally Posted by PineyMountainRacing View Post
Any landscaper friends with a set of forks for their skidsteer? The landscapers and tree guys down here totally love to hook up with someone who can fabricate and weld.

Any way to get it jacked up and back your trailer underneath of it? Do you know how much is bolted and how much is welded? Be sweet if it all came apart, easier to store that way. Have you seen it or just pics?

Edit - I guess you've got to figure out a plan for what happens after you get it loaded, where you going with it, how you're going to get it off and how it's going to be stored. Crap, this sounds like something I'd get myself into.
Yeah I have no idea what I was thinking. I have no idea how much it weighs, how much is welded/bolted. I've seen it as much as you have from the pic. It looks like I can unbolt the cylinder, that probably weighs a few hundred pounds by itself. I hope most of the loose parts can come off too.

I live in a condo complex at the moment and I don't want it in my garage so I was trying to think of a way to shove it in my storage unit. But that will be an ordeal because how the hell am I supposed to get it off at the unit? I know I could get creative with floor jacks and pipe rollers. But then it takes up a ton of space and it would be blocking everything.

I live near a shipyard and keep my boat here. It's getting hauled soon anyways. I always tip the yard guys and know them pretty well as I just went on a boat rescue mission during the last nor'easter. Thinking I could throw a tenner their way and have them forklift it off and stuff it somewhere until I figure out what to do with it. Can't really hurt it being outside for awhile. That would solve the reloading problem too when it comes time to move.

Hmmm lots to think about. I love stuff like this

Edit: I wonder if that's too tall to strap upright going down the center of my 5x10 trailer? Sure would save a lot of screwing around when I get it to the yard as the guys can grab it with their big 15k forklift. I just worry it's so top heavy and the consequences of that thing tipping over on I95 is not something I want to consider but maybe I'm over thinking it?

Nessmuk
Old 11-20-2014, 06:26 PM   #10
gmk999
____ as a Rotax

Oddometer: 623
It’s heavy but not so heavy that it couldn’t be dragged with a good winch. You may have to put a bolt or two in you shop floor to get it off your trailer. but it can be moved.
You can always put pipe rollers under it if need be.
Old 11-20-2014, 06:29 PM   #11
kiwi_outdoors
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
sell it now for $1

you made a mistake

we all have , at one time or another
kiwi_outdoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 07:16 PM   #12
PineyMountainRacing
Oops....

I guess even if you pay 250 to have it loaded (bend over) and you get it to the boatyard, have them offload it and store it in a corner of the lot, spray it down with acf50 or corrosion X, double wrap the hydraulics / electrical with tarps and you've got a hell of a piece for 325 bones. Anything else is going to take you all day and then some. If you get a warm day go back and take the "brains" off and store them in your garage. It easily can sit there for a year until you decide where you want it. If you decide it's too much trouble, put it up on the FM under "other." As is, where is LOL.

I'd be nervous about the trip home. When I brought my tire changer I had it strapped down well, took all back roads and drove slow, but still felt like it was going to fall over before I got there. And I only had a 3 mile trip from where I got it off the truck to my place.

Any place close to where it is currently where you could store it, even outside, until you can get your ducks in a row? Come get it when you've got your new shop set up?
Old 11-20-2014, 07:37 PM   #13
ragtoplvr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,879
offer to give it to the rigger. They make extra money from selling stuff someone bought and then did not want.

Rod
ragtoplvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2014, 07:43 PM   #14
PineyMountainRacing
Oops....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragtoplvr View Post
offer to give it to the rigger. They make extra money from selling stuff someone bought and then did not want.

Rod
Oh he wants it alright...
Old 11-20-2014, 07:53 PM   #15
villageidiot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,549
i once moved a 40' shipping container 60 feet with a floor jack a 6" pipe and a one ton come-a-long.

anything is possible.
villageidiot is offline   Reply With Quote