User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2014, 01:29 PM   #1
PETDOC OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,205
Sleeving for wiring harness

The plastic sleeving on the wiring harnesses from the hand grips on my 1150 GS is disintegrating. Everything under the gas tank is fine so I assume the deterioration is from UV exposure.
I ordered some TechFlex Flexo Wrap to replace the sleeving, but find it less than ideal and am now contemplating getting 4:1 Polyolefin Shrink Wrap to replace the shredded sleeving. The connector under the tank is 1.5 x 0.5". I'm hoping the 1.5 diameter tubing will fit over the plug.
If anyone has replaced this sleeving I'd really appreciate knowing what you used.
Old 09-13-2014, 03:05 PM   #2
sailah
Lampin' it

Oddometer: 5,359
Not on a GS but I have used "wrap around braided sleeving" from McMaster. It can be applied over a bundle in case you can't shove the wires through which is the case with anything already with a connector on it. I finish the ends with either electrical tape or the self fusing electrical tape wrap. The sleeving is really tough and accommodates a wide range. Plus it looks pro when you are done.

1459T15 part number should get you the 1" variety

Nessmuk
sailah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 04:06 PM   #3
Motopsychoman
Not a total poseur

Oddometer: 581
Eek

Don't use heat-shrink as it will become too stiff after it is shrunk to size. You want something that will remain flexible.
I'd use something like the standard wrap-around here, or the the full coverage wrap-around corrugated sleeving

http://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-ca...eeving/=tpl22j

Unfortunately, it won't seem to let me link directly to those product pages. They also have some cool hi-temp and extra sturdy stuff that would be good under the tank keeping those evil mice away from the wires.

Current Rides: '13 Sertao, '98 Bandit 1200, Currently a 1200 piece puzzle: '86 R80G/S PD
Past: '66 Suzuki T10, '72 CL350, '74 GT550, '80 GS750, '7? XT500, '83 RM250, '85 XT500
Motopsychoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 04:51 PM   #4
PETDOC OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motopsychoman View Post
. They also have some cool hi-temp and extra sturdy stuff that would be good under the tank keeping those evil mice away from the wires.
Thanks. Poof, the cat, takes care of any mice. He likes sleeping on the sheepskin butt pad.
Old 09-13-2014, 05:36 PM   #5
rarepartbuilder
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailah View Post
Not on a GS but I have used "wrap around braided sleeving" from McMaster.

+1 i used the same material for my rear brake wiring... same stuff just different supplier

http://www.princessauto.com/pal/en/L...eeve/8489221.p

Reaching for far less side stand rocks.... the PISTON MOD
rarepartbuilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 05:58 PM   #6
shiryas
Dragon with matches

Oddometer: 80
I can't tell you how good your timing is on this question. I also have a new to me 2004 1150GS Adv and it also has the OEM loom around the turn signals and instrument cluster that is just falling apart in pieces.

I wanted to use the woven type loom protector that you guys have pictured as opposed to the typical NAPA split type loom. I thought you would have to disassemble the plug connectors to install this type.

So you compress the weave and it expands over the connector then pull it taught once its over? Is this right?

Cheers, Chris
shiryas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2014, 06:42 PM   #7
Motopsychoman
Not a total poseur

Oddometer: 581
Look at the McMaster link. There are a number of types available. I was suggesting a wrap around type. There are mesh/weave kinds and plastic corrugated styles.

Sent from my YP-GI1 using Tapatalk 2

Current Rides: '13 Sertao, '98 Bandit 1200, Currently a 1200 piece puzzle: '86 R80G/S PD
Past: '66 Suzuki T10, '72 CL350, '74 GT550, '80 GS750, '7? XT500, '83 RM250, '85 XT500
Motopsychoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 04:06 AM   #8
sailah
Lampin' it

Oddometer: 5,359
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiryas View Post
I can't tell you how good your timing is on this question. I also have a new to me 2004 1150GS Adv and it also has the OEM loom around the turn signals and instrument cluster that is just falling apart in pieces.

I wanted to use the woven type loom protector that you guys have pictured as opposed to the typical NAPA split type loom. I thought you would have to disassemble the plug connectors to install this type.

So you compress the weave and it expands over the connector then pull it taught once its over? Is this right?

Cheers, Chris
They have both kinds. For new wiring where I haven't crimped on connectors, I'll use the continuous braid. It's thinner, cleaner looking, and cheaper. But for existing bundles, the wrap around is the way to go. It's "spring loaded' as a coil and when you unwrap it and stuff the wires in it'll spring back to it's stated dimension. You can also wrap it tightly an just use tape to secure it. I'd buy a couple different diameters that way you can pick the best fit.

Forget the plastic split loom stuff that's for RVs and has no place on a bike IMHO.

Nessmuk
sailah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 06:31 AM   #9
vtwin
Air cooled runnin' mon

Oddometer: 7,126
Try this place. But you may have to remove the pins out of the connector to slide them on.

http://www.cycleterminal.com/sleeve-tubing.html

"You only have too much fuel if you're on fire"
unknown
vtwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 04:01 PM   #10
vagueout
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,494
I went through this same episode a couple of years ago with my 2003 adv. I eventually went with lengths of heat shrink, the bad news was that i had to laboriously disassemble the connectors pin by pin, with a tiny jewellers screwdriver, paper clip and a magnifying glass, doing little rough sketches re which colour wire to which pin. I was truly frightened of farking up the connectors and perhaps cooking the whole harness but all went very well and has to date been flawless. Just takes time and PATIENCE.
Old 09-15-2014, 05:34 AM   #11
PETDOC OP
Beastly Adventurer

Vagueout,
I removed the pins from the very simple heated grip connector by using tiny jeweler's screwdriver and pushing flange down then pulling wire out. I'm curious why did you have to use both a screwdriver and paper clip on the multi wire electrical connectors for the wiring harnesses from the controls on the handgrips?
In thinking about this I believe for the sake of time for now I'll go with a split wrap as suggested above and this winter remove the connector pins and replace the harness sleeving with a more OEM style sleeve. I'm amazed at the excess length of the wiring harness. Under the tank it is folded up several times to take up the slack. Almost like it was an existing part for a car and they just adapted it to the motorcycle vs making a shorter harness.
Old 09-15-2014, 07:30 AM   #12
DJacobsen5116
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 117
+1 for http://www.cycleterminal.com/sleeve-tubing.html One stop source for motorcylce electrical fittings.
DJacobsen5116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 03:27 PM   #13
vagueout
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,494
Petdoc the screwdriver was a tiny jewellers type, used much like the unfurled paperclip, pulling the wires individually out of a switch block or a connector was a first for me, it was somewhat an experiment that actually worked (for a change!).
Old 09-17-2014, 09:41 PM   #14
firemanonabike
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
I was fixing fire suppression systems in transit busses. The original wiring was not protected and rubbing on moving parts. When the wire covering shorted out, the suppression system tripped. I asked the mechanics how they protected wires. They used clear poly tubing and GOJo mechanics hand cleaner, the kind w/o grit. This requires 2 sets of hands. Lube the wire harness with GoJo and feed it into the plastic tube. Lots of lube. When enough wire is run through the tubing, run the tubing, and use quality zip ties to sucure the tubing. Make your connections. The GoJO evaporates, dries and does not harm the tubing or wire insulaltion. At tiems we would run 25 feet of wire into the tubing. If it hung up, pull the wire and use more GoJo.
firemanonabike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 04:19 AM   #15
PeterW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,457
On the other hand, Spiral wrap is far and away the easiest and it's thicker than most of the tapes.

Pete
PeterW is online now   Reply With Quote