User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-2015, 06:10 AM   #1
adam728 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 336
Michelin auto tire cracking

Wife drives a 2012 GMC Terrain w/ the original Michelin Latitude Tour tires. They had some very small weather checking, but nothing out of the ordinary. Last week was the 1st big trip we were making with it this year. Checked tire pressures and gave everything the once over, all looked well and the tires looked the same as always. After the trip the sidewalls showed what I consider major cracking around the base of the shoulder treads, same on all 4 tires. Tire pressure was ~35 psi cold (gauge), 37-38 psi warm (dash display), rolling 75-ish mph for a few hours.

Figured it was just time for new tires, started comparing tires, prices, vendors etc, and stumbled across Michelin's tire warranty. Never even thought about that. Says it applies to OEM tires molded 2011 and newer. Off to the local Michelin dealer.

Not only did they say they wouldn't qualify for warranty ("too old"), they claimed the tires are find and the cracking is perfectly normal.
"If they aren't leaking, aren't vibrating, and you can't freely slip a quarter into the split, they are fine". I wanted to replace them anyway, warranty or not, and they even recommended against that, saying there is plenty of tread left and we should keep using them.

Is this even close to right? In my mind these tires are done for, I don't want to be running around 70 mph on the interstate with the family on these things. I was shocked the tire place said otherwise (even in the face of a $800-$1000 potential sale). Of course, they also claimed the tires are very old, but they are date coded 4811, which puts them at roughly 3-1/2 years old, not that "old" in my opinion. Michelin's warranty statement says it will cover OEM tires date coded 2011 and newer. Contacted Michelin, they say take it to another dealer, which I will do Saturday.

The kicker for me? My mother in law came over yesterday in her Equinox. Same tires, 1 year and 1 week older date code (4710 vs 4811), within 500 miles (33,2xx on ours, 32,740 on hers). Her's show some small cracking/checking, but not the "holy-crap-look-at-that" cracking ours have. Couldn't be on a more similar vehicle.

Any tire experts here with opinions? I think it's replacement time, but I am no expert.

Anyone ever deal with warranty on tires? Getting even just a little cost knocked off would be nice.

I will update after we get a 2nd dealer to look at these.

Our tires. Normal? Really?

Mother in law's

Just for comparison, 3710 coded Toyos on my truck that sits outside in the dirt 100% of the time.
(which should really help age the rubber)
adam728 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 06:36 AM   #2
mjydrafter
evil boy for life

Oddometer: 4,252
Are those the front or rear or is it all of them?

The slight cracking at the base of the tread blocks is normal, but I don't think the larger cracking above them is normal. The cracking in between the tread blocks worries me as well. It looks like the tread blocks will eventually fly.

I would probably run them on the rear, but I'm not sure I would run them as a steerer.

I have a set of Bridgestones on my Jeep that are getting pretty long in the tooth, but they don't look that bad. I think they are a decade or older. I need to replace them, but the Jeep doesn't see much highway use. And I'm a former KLR rider...
Yes! Whenever bicycles are broken, or menaced by International Communism, Bicycle Repair Man is ready!
mjydrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 06:38 AM   #3
trailer Rails
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,917
Ozone ages rubber, electric motors produce it, if the car is stored near a fan that runs all the time or the furnace, that could be the cause. I am not saying you should not go to the second dealer, I would pursue that option. I am just trying to explain the 3 differences in tires.

Rubber band dissolving in 30 seconds when exposed to ozone:

http://youtu.be/83mujVFqFqI
trailer Rails is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 07:14 AM   #4
adam728 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjydrafter View Post
Are those the front or rear or is it all of them?
As noted, all 4 tires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailer Rails View Post
Ozone ages rubber, electric motors produce it, if the car is stored near a fan that runs all the time or the furnace, that could be the cause. I am not saying you should not go to the second dealer, I would pursue that option.
  • Truck with fine tires sits outside on dirt.
  • Equinox with minor cracking spent most it's time outside on asphalt, now mostly in a garage.
  • Terrain with big cracks spends most it's time outside on concrete, some time on dirt, is sporadically in the garage for a day or two. Garage does have a fridge, but wife's previous summer car lived in there for 4 years and the (crap) Fuzion tires looked great (but drove and sounded like crap, no more cheap tires!).

adam728 screwed with this post 05-21-2015 at 12:54 PM Reason: Fixed list format
Old 05-21-2015, 07:22 AM   #5
darkstarmoto
Am I evil? Yes I am

Oddometer: 418
Well they did recall 100K tires recently of same model, but different date codes. Might be worth bringing up to the dealer.

http://www.tiresafetygroup.com/10000...north-america/
Old 05-21-2015, 07:22 AM   #6
Bounder
ExternallyDisplaced

Oddometer: 963
Michelin Car tyres are known to do that .
I have seen it a lot here in Europe on cars with cracked sidewalls, 90% of the time they are Michelin.
I cannot say I like the look of that even when the Michelin man says its OK.
It would be a terrible thing to have the tread leave the carcass like a retread.
Bounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 02:12 PM   #7
Bigger Al
Still a stupid tire guy

Oddometer: 7,998
Over the past 5 years Michelin has had issues with cracking. We've never received any explanation from them as to a cause, and we, as a Michelin dealer, have replaced quite a few tires under warranty because of it.
Personally, I would contact Michelin North America and explain your case to them. That tire is badly cracked enough to warrant replacement.

Steve McQueen

Bigger Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 02:21 PM   #8
adam728 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Just got back from the GMC dealer, they are sure they can cover it (pro rated of course). Problem is the guy to do it is on vacation already for the long weekend, so I go back on Tuesday.
Old 05-21-2015, 03:44 PM   #9
trailer Rails
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam728 View Post
Just got back from the GMC dealer, they are sure they can cover it (pro rated of course). Problem is the guy to do it is on vacation already for the long weekend, so I go back on Tuesday.
Can you get a different brand?
Old 05-21-2015, 04:41 PM   #10
adam728 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailer Rails View Post
Can you get a different brand?
Not sure. It goes under Michelin's warranty I'm sure no. If the dealer puts it under the bumper-to-bumper maybe (I can't imagine they would, but the employee I talked to seemed to think they'd pursue it that way first).

I've had nothing but great things to say about Michelin's in the past and would not hesitate to give them another try.
Old 05-21-2015, 05:19 PM   #11
trailer Rails
Beastly Adventurer

It seems from what you posted and other posted, they have a cracking issue, I'd be inclined to try something else. My decision would based on the discount they give.
Old 05-21-2015, 08:17 PM   #12
ragtoplvr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,638
My 4 year old Michelin tires on my car are cracked too. I will never buy Michelin again. They used some kind of crap rubber. But I love my PR4 on the bike, of course they never even last a year.

Rod
ragtoplvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 02:57 AM   #13
kirkkw
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 116
I would want to replace the front tires at a minimum.
kirkkw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 06:16 AM   #14
broncobowsher
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,890
My similar aged Michelins look like your mother in Law's.
They do stick fairly good, considering they show nearly no wear. The BFGs that were on there were bald in same mileage. At this rate the Michelins will last me 100k+. Which is why I got them in the first place, I can run them forever.

But if they start looking like the ones you have with the shoulder cracks we will be in the market for replacements. That's a bad place for a tire to start opening up.
Old 05-22-2015, 06:28 AM   #15
adam728 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

All 4 will be getting replaced. Just to wait till next week to see if anything will be done to help with that cost, and also what brand I might go with.

Like I said, I've had great luck with Michelins in the past, and they are all that my parents run anymore. My dad said no cracking like this on theirs, they are ~3 & 5 years old right now. We have 3 sets of Michelin bicycle tires that look great too, all probably at least 7 years old now (1 set yet to be used, the other two are on bikes that might only see a few hundred miles a summer, if that anymore).