User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2015, 01:42 PM   #1
Russeller82 OP
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Trust nobody - double-check everything before driving away

I just wanted to share an interesting experience I had this morning.

I special ordered a Kendon trailer from a dealer in Tulsa. I live about 100 miles away, so I asked if they'd put it together for me. They quoted me 1 hour labor, which I was okay with because I didn't want to deal with getting rid of the packaging. Plus, I wanted to make a quick turn around and head home. They're a reputable establishment with a great shop, so I had no worries.

On my way out the door this morning, I grabbed my grease gun, torque wrench, and a few other tools. I'm happy I did. The parts guy was great. He had the shop bring the trailer out and hook everything up. Not necessary, but good service. The service writer told me the lugs were tight, air was in the tires, and grease fittings were topped off. I decided to double check the anyway. THE LUG NUTS WERE ONLY FINGER TIGHT! In fact, the tires were low and the grease had definitely not been checked. This could have been an absolute disaster. They were very embarrassed and apologetic, blaming the whole situation on a new hire. The parts guy squared up with me and I drove away happy. Overall, it was a very educational experience.

The lesson is to trust nobody when it comes to safety. Check everything yourself before driving away.
Russeller82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 01:50 PM   #2
rapidoxidationman
Easily trainable

Oddometer: 8,918
"trust but verify".

The mantra of success.
rapidoxidationman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 01:56 PM   #3
D.T.
Difficult but useful

Oddometer: 11,630
No wonder no one goes to the stealer anymore?

"If you want it done right, do it yourself." Seems to still be the case.
D.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 02:03 PM   #4
troidus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 15,708
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russeller82 View Post
The lesson is to trust nobody when it comes to safety. Check everything yourself before driving away.
U-Haul is bad about that. They insist on doing the initial hookup, and then often do it wrong. Chains cross under the tongue.
troidus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 04:01 PM   #5
GreaseMonkey
Preshrunk & Cottony

Oddometer: 5,329
LOL, story for another time but I once took a boat out for a maiden cruise after having a brand new engine put on at the dealer and the guy forgot to install the cotter pin on the prop nut.
GreaseMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 04:39 PM   #6
victor441
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 990
I had a similar experience that easily could have got me killed, bought a used Lotus 7 clone in L.A. and headed home 400 miles north, was enjoying the drive greatly until I hit a few expansion joints on I5, the car bounced HARD and ended up partly in the adjacent lane....after several of these hair raising experiences I got off the freeway and proceeded on secondary roads at lower speeds.
It turned out the tires were overinflated by 50% but the PO had bought the car new and owned it for several years so it didn't immediately occur to me to check this (these cars only weigh about 1300 lbs so the correct tire pressure is about 20 psi, was not aware of that when I bought it...no more terrifying bounces once I got it right)

victor441 screwed with this post 05-16-2015 at 04:44 PM
victor441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 07:27 AM   #7
Mambo Dave
Backyard Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,789
Have -anything- worked on by a shop that specializes in it from down here and south Florida, and you will learn a harder fact of life: do it yourself.
their motorcycles
." --
RyanR
Mambo Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 08:41 AM   #8
broncobowsher
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,787
Quote:
Originally Posted by troidus View Post
U-Haul is bad about that. They insist on doing the initial hookup, and then often do it wrong. Chains cross under the tongue.
A co-worker rented a U-Haul once. Turned it in and they wanted to charge for the blown rear inner tire. Could have hit something and didn't realize it. Nope, it was clearly stated on the rental form that the tire was blown when they picked it up. No charge for the damaged tire
Old 05-17-2015, 08:51 AM   #9
AlH
Adventurer

Oddometer: 26
Bought a new small travel trailer a year ago-
when picking it up the lights were checked and they said I had my truck wired wrong, left and right turn signals were swapped.
Told them NO WAY- I pull a lot of trailers with it and ALL the others are right.
They insisted I was wrong and besides the "factory pre-checks them all after production".
Long story short they found, after some argument, the wiring was flipped at a junction box under the trailer....dumbasses.
AlH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 10:22 AM   #10
broncobowsher
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,787
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlH View Post
when picking it up the lights were checked and they said I had my truck wired wrong, left and right turn signals were swapped.
Told them NO WAY- I pull a lot of trailers with it and ALL the others are right.
They insisted I was wrong and besides the "factory pre-checks them all after production".
Long story short they found, after some argument, the wiring was flipped at a junction box under the trailer....dumbasses.
I would have backed up to another trailer on the lot (different brand) and have them check that one as well.

When I check trailer lights on a truck or trailer I don't personally know, it gets each and every light checked in multiple configurations (turn signal with running lights, turn signal without running lights, brakes, brake with turn, etc.). But if I know the truck and trailer I just plug the two together turn on the headlights and hazards and do my walk around. Sounds like the factory did the quick check and all the lights worked, just not in the right order.
Old 05-17-2015, 05:34 PM   #11
ivancov
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Thumb

left and right turn signals were swapped.,,,
ivancov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 06:21 PM   #12
Grreatdog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,935
I bought a new Venture boat trailer and discovered somebody at the factory forgot to install a bearing race on my way home from the dealer on a Sunday with 4000 pounds of boat on it. Dealer's mechanic bailed me out. But you would think a company that builds trailers could at least get the bearings right.
Old 05-18-2015, 08:48 AM   #13
firstr8
Walter Mitty Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,270
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlH View Post

Well, with a trailer, you do have to turn left to go right, don't you? So switching the lights to match.... sorry, it was a lot funnier in my head...

firstr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 09:39 AM   #14
Jack90210
mindful

Oddometer: 15,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by broncobowsher View Post
A co-worker rented a U-Haul once. Turned it in and they wanted to charge for the blown rear inner tire. Could have hit something and didn't realize it. Nope, it was clearly stated on the rental form that the tire was blown when they picked it up. No charge for the damaged tire

"Yep, checks out good, tire's blown, sign here and drive safe."

I must say that my son has exposed a reservoir of love and of worry within me that I never knew existed. --nskitts, 9/2/12
Jack90210 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2015, 10:36 AM   #15
troidus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 15,708
Who accepts delivery of a vehicle with a blown tire?
troidus is offline   Reply With Quote