User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-20-2015, 04:57 PM   #1
mefadv OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 811
Made me a Motorcycle Lift Table...

Yep... again tooo much time on my hands while recovering from Shoulder/Arm surgery

Have been reading the HF table thread and decided to do one the old fashioned way. Using whatever was around. A table is pretty much a table just need a wheel stabilizer. Oh yes... a lift mechanism!
Thought about this all week. Have a old beat-up, bent, shop table. Needed a little TLC and some extra supports that extended past the table edge for lift/ anchor points.

Here it is ready for the first lift, wheel chock I had lying around, yes I meant to extend it over the front... Little mule tape and chain hoist.

Did I mention I like things on wheels? Simple is good...

Raised the front first then the rear... should have taken another pic or two but kinda in a hurry the first time with my TL hanging in the balance!

Front view... please note the custom white colored wire holding the tire into the front of the chock. It wanted to slide back a little...

As I said before.... Too much extra time on my hands. However this project will likely see some use. I'll load the XR400 someday soon.
As it sits it is much more stable (actually very stable) than I would have imagined while on wheels.
mefadv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 07:28 PM   #2
Hybridchemistry

Oddometer: 336
This looks sketchy even by my standards, and I guarantee you, my standards are low. :L

Upon further review, slightly less sketchy, but I applaud your resourcefulness.
Hybridchemistry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 09:01 PM   #3
beemerkid
Do you ADV

Oddometer: 931
That'll do donkey, that'll do....so long as your lifting small bikes like that. Good job being bored!
beemerkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 10:34 PM   #4
BADDAD
" Bitter Clinger "

Oddometer: 354
Bonus points for proper use of a cool motorcycle.

PLAN B SUCKS

Sprinkles are for winners
BADDAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 10:14 AM   #5
panhead_dan
motorcycle addict

Oddometer: 822
Let me guess- any screws used were square drive, correct?
panhead_dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 01:12 PM   #6
kenstone
newb

Oddometer: 572
Caution

The base looks kind of narrow, and know with all eight wheels swiveling, any four on either side could tuck under and the table would fall to that side.
I had that happen with a tall load on a HF furniture dolly
jmo
Old 02-21-2015, 06:31 PM   #7
baloneyskin daddy
bikaholic

Oddometer: 2,102
When you're laying in bed some night and hear a loud crash at least you'll know what it was.
baloneyskin daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 08:16 PM   #8
barnyard
Verbal tactician

Oddometer: 10,983
Quote:
Originally Posted by baloneyskin daddy View Post
When you're laying in bed some night and hear a loud crash at least you'll know what it was.
I have seen it happen with 2 people sitting on one, at a wedding. I don't know that I would put anything heavier than that Honda on it.
Old 02-21-2015, 08:25 PM   #9
luckychucky
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,237
Gotta do What ya Gotta do

That will get her up there where you can work on it! Cool.
luckychucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 08:47 PM   #10
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,424
Nice work, but I think you're going to find that the height is way too high for anything other than work directly underneath the bike. I have a factory lift and it doesn't go nearly as high as yours and for 75% of work, it's too high.

I'm selling my lift (moving and I don't want to move the brute). Rather than buy another one, I'm also going to try and improvise something in my next house but it won't go very high - perhaps up 16" or so.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 05:52 AM   #11
trailer Rails
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,806
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn View Post
Nice work, but I think you're going to find that the height is way too high for anything other than work directly underneath the bike. I have a factory lift and it doesn't go nearly as high as yours and for 75% of work, it's too high.

I'm selling my lift (moving and I don't want to move the brute). Rather than buy another one, I'm also going to try and improvise something in my next house but it won't go very high - perhaps up 16" or so.

- Mark
Yea, he is gonna need a step ladder to change the spark plug. Being able to move the lift up and down as needed is very handy.

I have a stand like this (it looks like they have improved the rubber pad on top a bit since I got mine)

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...d=181631712397
trailer Rails is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 07:09 AM   #12
e.Rock
No Guts, No Story

Oddometer: 215
Quote:

- Mark
+ 1 on this. Depends on what you're working on, of course, but i think that will be too tall for most work. I have a couple of beat up banquet tables in my garage too and i love them for spreading out a big project, like a motor build. I use the furniture dolly under the legs too, but only on one end, so i can move it out of the way when I need to by picking up the non-wheeled end like a wheelbarrow. Setting it down on two fixed legs adds a considerable amount of stability.
e.Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 08:19 AM   #13
Cogswell
Spudly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,411
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnyard View Post
I have seen it happen with 2 people sitting on one, at a wedding. I don't know that I would put any bike that I really cared about on it.

ftfy

Mike
The good thing is, your damn motor can't read. If it says oil on the container, it's pretty much OK to dump in there.... ED.
Cogswell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 10:03 AM   #14
kenstone
newb

Oddometer: 572
Quote:

- Mark
There's a whole thread on DIY lifts and many designs here:
http://www.homemadetools.net/site/se...le+lift&Search
Old 02-22-2015, 10:56 AM   #15
HapHazard
Waiting for Gudenov

Oddometer: 2,258
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnyard View Post
I have seen it happen with 2 people sitting on one, at a wedding. I don't know that I would put anything heavier than that Honda on it.
I've got that table's brother on my back porch - it's developed a sway back like a 40 year old horse, and no one's even sat on it.
HapHazard is offline   Reply With Quote