Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > The Garage
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-2009, 11:54 AM   #151
Wylie
Back in the saddle again

Oddometer: 2,234
Adjust chain while motorcycle is on the floor, not on the jack stupid! Now do it again, but get it right this time!
Try to remember to tighten the axel too, girlfriend gets all freaked out when the rear wobbles like that while following in her car.
Don't leave the 640 to warm up all by itself on a long smooth concrete incline, it will move itself, usually down hill, just follow scraps to find bike.
Do not do wrist excersizes while on bike in town, cops think it's just an excuse?

Okay, screw it, stop the world I'm getting off.
Wylie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 12:19 PM   #152
kamanya
Andrew to most

Oddometer: 1,222
Unexpectedly flushing some birds whilst on a bicycle being towed by a young, fit, strong gun dog on a path next to a barbed wire fence is not highly recommended.
Old 02-08-2009, 02:55 AM   #153
Welshman
B.U.F.F.

Oddometer: 1,164
The "instructions" for spoke tightening after doing the "ping" test, say "apply a little "WD40" or similar to the spoke threads before tightening".... in doing so, you will almost certainly get some WD40 on your discs, this you will discover as you brake for the first stop street .....
Welshman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 10:17 PM   #154
RyanE
Rocket Surgeon

Oddometer: 65
Do not ever pull up to a gate facing downhill and leave your truck in gear and forget to set the park brake. Even though you shut it off and left it in first.....As you fiddle with the lock on the gate you will hear a funny sound and realize that the truck is rolling in gear towards you at a rate that guarantees certain death unless you stick your steel toed boot in front of the tire........And you might have to wait 30mins until someone driving by recognizes your predicament and is kind enough to stop and move your truck off your foot!
1991 Yamaha WR250Z
1973 Yamaha AT3 125 Enduro
RyanE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 10:58 AM   #155
guinnessextreme
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
after painting your fuel tank and body parts and reassembling bike, do not forget to put the petcock back in the tank before pushing the bike a block down the street and fueling it up.

gas station owners do not find it amusing when you ask them to hold their finger over the hole while you run back to get the petcock
guinnessextreme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 06:34 PM   #156
duck
Banned

Oddometer: 10,404
Motor oil is not red. OR Don't remove the transmission drain plug when changing the oil in your dad's minivan.

Remember to tighten the caliper bolts once you have the rear end back together. Or in 100 miles one will fall out so that applying the rear brake rotates the caliper onto the teeth of the ABS ring. This will grind the face off of your ABS sensor, destroying it, and fault the ABS.

Don't buy a "new to me" K1100LT, put new tires on it, finish it's overhaul two weeks later, forget about the new tires and rip the throttle on the very first turn out of the alley when finally you get to ride it. Fortunately I saved it but it was close.

When the potential buyer test riding your bike with you behind him on another bike decides not to stop when rear master cylinder locks up, and then catches the paralever boot on fire from the intensely heated rotor next it, do not get distracted by the urgency of putting the fire out and put your entire right hand on a hot exhaust while concentrating on what your left hand is doing to put the fire out.

When wiping out the inside of a gas tank with "just a little gas" in it, do not put the drain outlet over your crotch. Next, when you feel moistness in your crotch, don't ignore it thinking "it's just gas, I've had it on my hands and arms before. No big deal." Eventually it will start to BURN your naughty bits and you will soon be running to the basement sink tearing your pants off.

Friend of mine: When you've finally finished restoring a K75S from the ground up, do not put the electric lift table on "lower" and turn your back - forgetting that you left your work stool under one side of the lift. You will end up with a lift on it's side with a slightly mangled bike still clamped in.
duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 05:19 AM   #157
Solo Gato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 771
dont open the service bay door and walk off, especially when a customer is bringing in ther gl1800 for service- yes they "tried" to drive it up on the lift. and yes they made it up- onto-off of- and into the far wall of the bay.
Old 02-19-2009, 06:24 AM   #158
MiamiMotorcyclist
used to be -MiamiUly

Oddometer: 1,841
Quote:
Originally Posted by duck
Motor oil is not red. OR Don't remove the transmission drain plug when changing the oil in your dad's minivan.
Hey, I have that T-shirt too. Only it was my parents Saturn.

They put synthetic oil in this? Wait oil is not red...ahhhh crap, hustle, hustle, hustle- got the plug back in, found some fluid to add. Kick self in ass and carry on with changing the actual oil.
Old 02-20-2009, 07:51 PM   #159
anonny
What could go wrong?

Oddometer: 5,261
After washing the drum braked antique, drag the brakes until you actually have some brakes.

71- 450 Honda CL re & re

Just another pathetic sheep following the herd

anonny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 11:38 AM   #160
maloryII
more north, more wet

Oddometer: 3,682
Don't leave your heated handgrips on when you pull in for the evening.

And don't try to catch a little air with BOTH gas tank covers open.. only to land and wonder why suddenly you're wet and smell of gas.

"The pen & sword, in accord."
"It's never over in a Rover."
maloryII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 04:45 PM   #161
skeptic
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 283
When quickly backing down a cabin drive (clutch all the way out in reverse), don't ignore your wife as she suggests "Don't hit that tree behind us!" The comment "Huh? What tree?" will be quickly followed by wife's response: "Owwww, my neck! You #%$*&!"

skeptic screwed with this post 02-26-2009 at 04:58 PM
skeptic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 07:39 PM   #162
Watercat
Web Footed Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by duck

When wiping out the inside of a gas tank with "just a little gas" in it, do not put the drain outlet over your crotch. Next, when you feel moistness in your crotch, don't ignore it thinking "it's just gas, I've had it on my hands and arms before. No big deal." Eventually it will start to BURN your naughty bits and you will soon be running to the basement sink tearing your pants off.
:y ikes:yik es

" . . . discovery channel has been shit for over a decade . . . this (ADVrider) is actually good." - OldAndBusted

Expect the unexpected! - Skunked & DfunkD

2006 Husky TE 610
2005 Big Strom
2010 THRUXTON
Watercat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 09:27 PM   #163
Brainless_1
Loose Nut!

Oddometer: 1,686
Never ever purchase coiled (like a phone cord) test leads for your volt/ohm tester and if you do happen to have some of these test leads next time you grab your meter from your tool cart and you feel it hang up on something do not look down to see what the test lead is hung on because just as you look down it will free itself with tremendous force and go right through one of your eyeballs!

P.S. Safety glasses dont help they just get knocked out of the way before penetration.
Brainless_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 06:17 AM   #164
Twilight Error
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 22,264
Before calling your husband or wife for a rescue because your bike won't start, try shifting into neutral to first rule out sidestand switch interference.
Twilight Error is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 02:55 PM   #165
slomo510
what to ride today?

Oddometer: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by murgatroid42
Parking lots are not empty. Look behind you when backing up so you don't hit the light pole in the middle of the lot.
TRUE

Also to add....

ALWAYS use the right size socket on nuts/bolts
Fiberglass bodywork that just brushes against an exhaust pipe WILL catch fire
rear brake lines will also melt against an exhaust pipe, resulting in ZERO braking power
always wear safety glasses when spraying any kind of solvent, or anything under pressure for that matter
WERA#510
2013 R1200GSW

slomo510 screwed with this post 03-09-2009 at 03:21 PM
slomo510 is offline   Reply With Quote