User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-31-2009, 08:24 PM   #211
Wylie
Back in the saddle again

Oddometer: 2,234
Oops!

Didn't see this thread stickied and just posted the same title!

So anyways Zep Degreaser Cleaner is not very friendly to Aluminum.

Okay, screw it, stop the world I'm getting off.
Wylie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 10:15 AM   #212
Trust
I'll fix that

Oddometer: 1,217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wylie
Didn't see this thread stickied and just posted the same title!

So anyways Zep Degreaser Cleaner is not very friendly to Aluminum.
Note to Self: Look at stickies in sub-forums before posting new threads.
Originally Posted by focallength View Post
If you dont remember, sky, ground,sky,ground,sky, ground, treeeeeee! You passed out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post
YOOOOOOOOOLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!
Give me riding.
Trust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 05:36 PM   #213
murgatroid42
Great Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,185
Packing tips

Use some duct tape to secure the cap on a chain lube spray can. If you don't, and pack the can in a cardboard box, the cap will fall off and the other stuff in the box will press on the nozzle, emptying the can overnight in one's vehicle.

Remember those sturdy, plastic boxes with well-fitting lids that you bought on sale, that are just sitting in your basement? If you packed the motorcycle parts with them, instead of putting everything in a cardboard box, there would be no cardboard box to break, and stuff to fall on the chain lube spray can, which then emptied itself in one's vehicle.
murgatroid42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 07:46 PM   #214
Motoholic
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 369
Before you drain the oil out of your bike to do an oil change, make sure that the bottles of new oil on your shelf are not actualy the old empty ones you forgot to throw away the last time you changed the oil. Don't try to change oil the night before a big ride.
Old 06-12-2009, 10:56 PM   #215
liv2ryd
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Make sure you got the parts

When changing something major on a bike, say like an entire exhaust system on your wife's R1200R, unpack and go through the new system to make sure everything you need is there BEFORE you remove the stock system, start installing the new aftermarket system, and THEN discover that a crucial pipe hanger is missing! My dealer found me one on a used bike and took it off so I wouldn't have to wait for one to be shipped. So many of the previous threads brought back "been there done that" memories.
Old 06-13-2009, 07:32 AM   #216
JStory
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,587
Make sure there isn't a big ass file stuck to the magnets on the tank bag before you throw it on the bike.

"He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man." Dr Samuel Johnson.
JStory is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 07:26 PM   #217
nitsuj
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 397
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilClown
Didn't realize KTM made lawn and garden tools too.
I didn't realize they made anything but....
(Sorry, it was a good zinger, I couldn't resist. I know it's not true, I never let truth stop comedy.)

Ok, so I have 2:

When wearing steel toed boots, and using a hydraulic bike lift that slowly leaks down, keep your feet out from under the lift. Other wise what happens is the lift settles on your steel toes and your position in relation to the bike on the lift makes bending over to take off the boots impossible. Also makes reaching the "up" button impossible. Also be aware that the other motorcycle mechanics in the shop aren't going to run to your aid. They're going to stand just out of reach and laugh their asses off. And probably go get the parts guys to come see.

This little gem is hard to put into just one note. I learned several things. First year as a profesional motorcycle mechanic means you get the crap jobs. In this particular shop, that means you get snowmobile work. To move the sleds around, we had a 12" square piece of plywood bolted to a caster. Put the track down on the wood and you can move the rear around on the caster. With me so far? Ok, so I'm trouble shooting this sled. Carbs are off and in the dip tank. Can't for the life of me remember why, but I needed to make the sled run so I put a few drops of gas in each intake and went to pull the rope.

What happened next happend instantly. Keep that in mind as you read on.

Dummy me never thought about the fact that open intake equaled full throttle. And I probably put in a little to much gas. Maybe half a pull, the sled roars to life, shoots the caster out from under the track at the speed of sound, denting my nice new tool box 15 feet away. Sled tears off across the concrete floor of the shop, right towards a line of new Harleys. I'm still holding the now broken starter rope in my hand, with a look on my face I'm sure I could never replacate. Sled luckily stops short of the Harleys. Shop is filled with smoke, there I stand, start rope dangling from my hand looking awe struck.

Ok, notes to self:
Don't use so much gas.
Suspend rear of sled, stupid.
Let go of rope.
Find place to work where coworkers are concerned about your safety before falling to the floor with laughter.

Did I miss anything?
nitsuj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 08:09 PM   #218
autolycos
True vulgarian

Oddometer: 4,207
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitsuj
Find place to work where coworkers are concerned about your safety before falling to the floor with laughter.
Good coworkers and coworkers concerned about your safety are mutually exclusive in my experience.

Well... maybe fun, and concerned are mutually exclusive.
autolycos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 08:17 PM   #219
RPD1
We don't

Oddometer: 15,647
1. When the tie down you're using to balance the bike while you take the rear tire off isn't long enough to go over a ceiling beam, get a longer tie down. Don't loop the shorter one over the arm of the garage door opener. If you do put it over the arm don't be surprised when you tighten the lug nuts, exceed the limits of the arm's quick release and see the garage door come crashing down.

2. After you put the rear wheel on give the brake a couple of quick pumps instead of waiting until you are at a stop sign, facing up a steep hill, with a car behind you, to find out that when you step on the pedal it goes goes all the way down to the stop and you are still rolling backwards.

RPD1 screwed with this post 06-14-2009 at 09:23 PM
RPD1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 09:14 PM   #220
murgatroid42
Great Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,185
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPD1
2. After you put the rear wheel on give the brake a couple of quick pumps instead of waiting until you are at a stop sign, facing up a steep hill, with a car behind you, to find out then when you step on the pedal it goes goes all the way down to the stop and you are still rolling backwards.
That's good advice, since I just changed my rear wheel bearings and tire. (Oops. I quickly leave the computer, run into the garage, and give the rear brake a few pumps.)
murgatroid42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 09:34 PM   #221
RPD1
We don't

Oddometer: 15,647
Quote:
Originally Posted by murgatroid42
That's good advice, since I just changed my rear wheel bearings and tire. (Oops. I quickly leave the computer, run into the garage, and give the rear brake a few pumps.)
RPD1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 09:44 PM   #222
nitsuj
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPD1
1. When the tie down you're using to balance the bike while you take the rear tire off isn't long enough to go over a ceiling beam, get a longer tie down. Don't loop the shorter one over the arm of the garage door opener. If you do put it over the arm don't be surprised when you tighten the lug nuts, exceed the limits of the arm's quick release and see the garage door come crashing down.
That reminds me... If you're working in a battered old shed, removing the forks from your first street bike....be sure the shed is up to the task of suspending the bike from it's rafters if that is the method you choose to use.

Nothing is more sickening that sitting on the deck, taking a break and watching what I can only describe as the shed "deflating" like a balloon.
Old 06-15-2009, 08:41 AM   #223
Trust
I'll fix that

Oddometer: 1,217
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitsuj
That reminds me... If you're working in a battered old shed, removing the forks from your first street bike....be sure the shed is up to the task of suspending the bike from it's rafters if that is the method you choose to use.

Nothing is more sickening that sitting on the deck, taking a break and watching what I can only describe as the shed "deflating" like a balloon.

Not at the new place??!!
Originally Posted by focallength View Post
If you dont remember, sky, ground,sky,ground,sky, ground, treeeeeee! You passed out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post
YOOOOOOOOOLLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!
Give me riding.
Trust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 08:43 AM   #224
nitsuj
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trust

Not at the new place??!!
Years ago when I lived with my parents. It was their shed. I was 18 and had my 88 Ninja ZX600R hanging from the rafters. Luckily, the shed didn't come crashing down. It just sort of slowly lowered the bike to the ground. It was pretty funny actually.
Old 06-15-2009, 10:55 AM   #225
Welshman
B.U.F.F.

Oddometer: 1,172
The hydraulic bike lift

All credits to Beemerman on another forum.....

Well after much procrastination and My knees finally saying here and no more, I took the punge on Friday and rushed off to the lift supplier Craftsman tools in Wadeville, paid over the second bond to.. a very nice helpful Ian, and proceeded at breakneck speed back to Bling central to assemble the aforesaid purchase.
After having tossed the instructions to one side with haughty Ha! how complicated can this be after all, we are talikng about the King Of Bling and other such related mechanical things here!!

After a lot of Gosh!! tut tut like adjectives, the thing was ready, jumping on the Bling Machine I soon realized that riding a 200kg beast up a very narrow little ramp and deck was probably not such a bright idea, after a moment of pondering with a rude whiskey in hand, it was decided that pushing it on with the motor running and in gear was a good idea after fighting with the clamping wheel thingy, it also dawned on methat holding a 200kg beast with just the wheel clamp was

just downright stupid, what now?? Ah! after realizing tie downs were required I lept into action I have enough to make team Yamaha green with envy, secured the rear of the Beast. Then let for the compressor switch to whatch My Baby being lifted to what should be called a gentlemans working height, after hearing the satifying hiss of compressed air being released and the small pump making its required pumping noises, I became a little concerned with lack of a good gentlemans working height being rfeached and destinct un pump like sounds coming from the Hydraulic jack.
A few more tut tut like adjectives haveing been vented about cheap supplier's and there products, I took a closer look, and YES!! you guessed it I tied the whole bike up to the main frame and the poor distressed little pump tried its utmost to raise the deck against an imovable object, result two completely bent lifting arms.
When I released the tie downs and the groans had settled down from the Hydraulics onl the fron section of the ramp had lowered itself, now on My own I had to pull the Bling machine up the slope and then down the ramp, well how difficult can that be?
Well when the back wheel slips off the ramp a 200kg's of dead weight starts to fall, you become very thankfull that the back of the garge wall was only inches away, and the cushion that encompasses My waist was a wonderfull absorption agent for the asaid formentioned 200kg, now trapped with the bike half on me and on the ramp, the question then gets asked and what now.

I have no strapping sonstocome to the rescue, managing to get the cell phone out of My pocket a quick call to Thandi in the Kitchen quick come now to the garage, we managed to extricate Myself out of the spot and got the Bike back onto solid ground.

I will not describe the roaring gales of laughter from the supplier and then a friend of mine who has the same ramp.

Result one brand new never used bike ramp is now back at the supplier and the engineering shop to get straightened and repaired.

I promise to post a pic once its back and in place , I now going to retire to a nice dark spot, and hug a very rude whiskey
Welshman is offline   Reply With Quote