Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-26-2011, 09:35 PM   #646
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestar2112 View Post
If you are a n00b and are talking to a local about how tough a trail is and he says it is intermediate, made sure he doesn't race professionally.

Took me three days to sh*t out the seat!
Lonestar, also remember that Trailtrick, Riceless, Tahoercr & DuneRat's "easy" are not human being "easy"
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
6:10 to Yuma
trials and tribulations in the Mojave
Baja Blitz Yard sale
View Current Location via Spot Tracker
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 09:41 PM   #647
Lonestar2112
Moran in training

Oddometer: 6,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic View Post
Lonestar, also remember that Trailtrick, Riceless, Tahoercr & DuneRat's "easy" are not human being "easy"
I was refering to me in Tahoe and listening to Tahoercr.
Old 04-26-2011, 10:24 PM   #648
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestar2112 View Post
I was refering to me in Tahoe and listening to Tahoercr.
Lol, I was having a fantastic ride, following him down a steep hill with a fair bit of speed into a riverbed. At the bank he hit a small jump and blipped the throttle.

Suddenly he's 25' in the air, doing a majestic little table-top thing pivoting the bike for a landing. I was just watching as a spectator like, wow man... that's so cool!

Suddenly I realized I was rapidly approaching that same jump, at the same speed, on a bike that was 100# heavier and no fuckin clue how to do what he just did.

BBBBRRRRRRAAAAAAAKKKKKKEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
Baja Blitz Yard sale
Old 04-30-2011, 08:59 PM   #649
Boomer84
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Not a specific one here just the one thing I have repeatedly have to relearn. If it's dark, you're cold/wet or angry it is not the time to be working on the bike. Go to the pub before you do more damage!
"Coming home from very lonely places, all of us go a little mad: whether from great personal success, or just an all-night drive, we are the sole survivors of a world no one else has ever seen." - John le Carre

http://www.motorcycleodyssey.co.uk
A fun and intriguing view of my ongoing RTW trip
Boomer84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 09:59 PM   #650
xcgates
Whaaa?

Oddometer: 1,782
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer84 View Post
Not a specific one here just the one thing I have repeatedly have to relearn. If it's dark, you're cold/wet or angry it is not the time to be working on the bike. Go to the pub before you do more damage!
First time I ever took off the alternator on my car, it was dark, cold, and drizzly, and for the life of me I just could NOT get the bastard off. Took off every bolt, everything I could see or feel. Went to sleep, and the next morning, saw one innocent looking bolt (the one that holds the alternator in place after tensioning) sitting there, and once it was loosened a tiny bit, the alternator all but fell off.

Now, however, I can replace the alternator in less than 10 minutes in the rain, and hand the still hot one to the surprised workers at an Autozone, simply from the experience I've gained swapping out busted alternators from AZ under warrenty.

Home is where the skid lid sits.
xcgates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 05:37 PM   #651
Skippii
Hookers, my lad.

Oddometer: 6,457
Note to self

If you're working on wiring up something, and the LM7805 chip is overheating, buy a 10-cent heatsink.
Do NOT look around for a thin piece of scrap metal that might work instead.
...Especially if the closest suitable small peice of metal happens to be a razor blade.

And most importantly, if you decide to go ahead anyway and use a razor blade as a heatsink, under no circumstances should you EVER attempt to drill a hole in the razor with your cordless drill while holding the razor blade in your other hand.

The blade WILL catch on the drill bit, and you WILL spend the rest of the day searching around the garage for your fingertips.

...I mean, holy shit! How the hell could I have been THAT stupid???? How could it have possibly not occured to me that there was no way that could end well????
Old 05-02-2011, 05:53 PM   #652
potatoho
Cheese and Rice!

Oddometer: 4,683
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skippii View Post
And most importantly, if you decide to go ahead anyway and use a razor blade as a heatsink, under no circumstances should you EVER attempt to drill a hole in the razor with your cordless drill while holding the razor blade in your other hand.
That sounds like a good Ren & Stimpy episode.
potatoho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 05:54 PM   #653
ER70S-2
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,603
Puke

Shit, that paints an ugly picture; you know, the part about looking around for your fingertips.

And, just for compassion, it's going to hurt worse every day for a week.

SUZUKI DR650SE INFORMATION INDEX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threewheelbonnie View Post
"BTW, I don't do style. It's a dirt bike, not some girlie dress-up thing." -
ER70S-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 05:57 PM   #654
xcgates
Whaaa?

Quote:
If you're working on wiring up something, and the LM7805 chip is overheating, buy a 10-cent heatsink.
...Especially if the closest suitable small peice of metal happens to be a razor blade.

The blade WILL catch on the drill bit, and you WILL spend the rest of the day searching around the garage for your fingertips.

...I mean, holy shit! How the hell could I have been THAT stupid???? How could it have possibly not occured to me that there was no way that could end well????
I can understand being frugal, but dude, some of the things you post make me wonder about your sanity.

Old 05-02-2011, 08:32 PM   #655
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

I once used the screwdriver bit in my powerdrill to tighten the screw on a utility knife with a brand new blade in it. It was accidentally on high speed and it sort of 'frisbee'd" out of my hand. I had the same WTF was I thinkin moment but got to keep the digits thankfully.
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
Baja Blitz Yard sale
Old 05-03-2011, 10:37 AM   #656
pachap
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 656
I worked on and off for two weeks putting a simple 3" rear drop on my bike (yeah I'm not that mechanically talented). Finally got the bike buttoned back up and my rear tire was scraping on something.

"Oh sh!t, how did I screw this up!"

Before you unzip the entire bike to see what you screwed up, make sure it's not something simple... like those long bolts that you used to mount your bags that are now rubbing on top of the rear tire.
pachap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 11:01 AM   #657
higworld
Bring Me Meat!

Oddometer: 840
Bt-dt

Quote:
Been there, done that. Only mine was an angled piece of steel that I truly believed I could hold against the torque of a power drill. Once I pried my mangled finger from between the bit and the steel, and met new friends at the ER, I realized the error of my ways. I now own a vice. LOL!

"Im lost. Ive gone to look for myself. If I should return before I get back, please ask me to wait."
higworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 07:39 PM   #658
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 47,871
Quote:
Originally Posted by xcgates View Post
I can understand being frugal, but dude, some of the things you post make me wonder about your sanity.
Even if it is not true, it makes for some damn entertaining reading!

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 08:11 PM   #659
xcgates
Whaaa?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden View Post
Even if it is not true, it makes for some damn entertaining reading!

Jim
It takes one to know one, I know my own best times are frequently only funny later, and require a certain lack of sanity on XCGates' part.

Old 05-07-2011, 02:42 PM   #660
SheRidesABeemer
Go Big or Go Home.

Oddometer: 1,848
Note to self...do not take the bike off the center stand, it can not be moved...please wait until rebuilt shock arrives and is installed
87 K75
Do what you love, and do it often.
SheRidesABeemer is offline   Reply With Quote