User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2011, 02:23 AM   #691
GreaseGorilla
Banned

Oddometer: 415
Laugh

Note to Self - When in a steaming bad mood after a row with your girlfriend on holiday, DO NOT jump into the hire car (manual gearbox) put it in first and give it near full revs and dump the clutch in an attemp to wheelspin away and show how pissed off you are.......untill you have checked it is in first gear (reverse and first are next to each other on an Opel Corsa)

The guy in the BMW parked 6 feet behind me was not very impressed!
GreaseGorilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 12:43 PM   #692
tgeliot
Topher

Oddometer: 1,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvgonzo View Post
Never, ever, (again), leave a bungie hanging off the rear rack, unattached at one end while having a cold one with a bud.

Why is it suds erase short term memory?
Uhh . . . what happened?
1) Coroner's report is to read "Death by misadventure."
2) Dixieland jazz band at my funeral.
tgeliot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 10:31 AM   #693
Bounder
ExternallyDisplaced

Oddometer: 566
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestar2112 View Post
How true. I about puked from the smell and laughing so hard. Of course it was a rough semester for him, hell it was rough anytime we had a party and he would walk in the room. He manned up and took the abuse.
I was in a pub with a few mates, one of them got up looked at us all and said ' I just tried something and it didn't come off, I need to go home and change my pants' and left.
My stomach muscles still feel sore from laughing so hard.
Bounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 09:20 AM   #694
DrunkWombat
GS and Proud

Oddometer: 2,155
Note to self:
1: When stopping at McDonalds for a snack whilst out on a ride, make sure you put your wallet/keys/phone back in your pocket. Getting out to the bike and desperately going through your pockets and then realising you have thrown all your gear in the bin is almost as bad as having to confront one of the surly teenagers to help you find your keys and wallet that are now in the garbage.

DrunkWombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 09:52 PM   #695
murgatroid42
Great Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,185
Most bikes have kickstand switches that prevent the bike from moving if the kickstand is down. Disabling them is a standard dualsport mod, since a bouncing kickstand can sometimes cause the bike to shut down while riding over rough terrain.

However, after disabling the switch, ALWAYS REMEMBER TO CHECK that the kickstand is up before taking off. I've had no crashes yet because of a down kickstand, but I've done this too many times.
murgatroid42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 06:22 PM   #696
duck
Banned

Oddometer: 10,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkWombat View Post
Note to self:
1: When stopping at McDonalds for a snack whilst out on a ride, make sure you put your wallet/keys/phone back in your pocket. Getting out to the bike and desperately going through your pockets and then realising you have thrown all your gear in the bin is almost as bad as having to confront one of the surly teenagers to help you find your keys and wallet that are now in the garbage.
I did this with my MC key on the tray at a KFC buffet in Sedona, AZ one day. Digging through the bag of KFC buffet garbage to find them was NOT fun.
duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 07:07 PM   #697
xcgates
Whaaa?

Oddometer: 1,782
Quote:
Originally Posted by duck View Post
I did this with my MC key on the tray at a KFC buffet in Sedona, AZ one day. Digging through the bag of KFC buffet garbage to find them was NOT fun.
Keys get clipped to a belt loop when I'm out and around, or hung up on the hooks in the kitchen if I'm inside. I also make sure I have the house key in my hand at the same time I lock the garage door. Really just need to make another spare house key to keep outside.

Home is where the skid lid sits.
xcgates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 09:01 PM   #698
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by xcgates View Post
Keys get clipped to a belt loop when I'm out and around, or hung up on the hooks in the kitchen if I'm inside. I also make sure I have the house key in my hand at the same time I lock the garage door. Really just need to make another spare house key to keep outside.
How is a belt loop safer than a pocket?
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
6:10 to Yuma
trials and tribulations in the Mojave
Baja Blitz Yard sale
View Current Location via Spot Tracker
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 09:13 PM   #699
Tom S
Can I ride it?

Oddometer: 4,173
Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic View Post
+1
Snag it on something, drop it where you can't get to it or find it.
Tom S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 09:36 PM   #700
Lonestar2112
Moran in training

Oddometer: 6,344
Quote:
The keys hang up and don't go all the way way down, you sit down, don't hear the keys come out of your pocket, then you leave the area, realize you don't have the keys (house) and start looking for the &(!#()&%(&#(%&% keys.

DAMHIK.

From now on my keys end up in a zipped pocket in the R2P. That is where they always go, and it is always zipped shut. No more lost keys!
Old 07-31-2011, 10:12 PM   #701
xcgates
Whaaa?

Quote:
I've never had a keyring come off a carabiner. Granted I can't do that at work, but at work the keys go in the same pocket as my hat goes in, with the hat on top of them. When I leave, hat comes out, the keys shortly after.

I've had keys fall out of pockets if I lay down on a couch, crawl around down low to work on something, whatever. Usually the carabiner is not actually clipped to a belt loop, most of the pants I wear have a loop of some sort along the belt-line, above the right pocket.

Heck, I normally carry my nice pens actually clipped to an edge of a sleeve, collar (uniform has a handy space where the front buttons are), pocket. Never lost a pen that way either. The few things I regularly carry loose in a non-fastened pocket are small amounts of change and my flashlight.

You could probably turn me upside down and not much would fall. Please don't test that theory.

Old 07-31-2011, 10:17 PM   #702
xymotic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,364
Quote:
Originally Posted by xcgates View Post
I've never had a keyring come off a carabiner. Granted I can't do that at work, but at work the keys go in the same pocket as my hat goes in, with the hat on top of them. When I leave, hat comes out, the keys shortly after.

I've had keys fall out of pockets if I lay down on a couch, crawl around down low to work on something, whatever. Usually the carabiner is not actually clipped to a belt loop, most of the pants I wear have a loop of some sort along the belt-line, above the right pocket.

Heck, I normally carry my nice pens actually clipped to an edge of a sleeve, collar (uniform has a handy space where the front buttons are), pocket. Never lost a pen that way either. The few things I regularly carry loose in a non-fastened pocket are small amounts of change and my flashlight.

You could probably turn me upside down and not much would fall. Please don't test that theory.
I'm just thinking of falling on the key and getting stabbed as in the title of the thread. If anything I'd think a pocket is SAFER because the key is held flat before impact, whereas on a belt it could jiggle and orient like a nail before getting HAMMERED into your hip by pavement or whatever.
"Anyone who doesn't take truth seriously in small matters cannot be trusted in large ones either."
Albert Einstein

Baja trip to the tip
6:10 to Yuma
trials and tribulations in the Mojave
Baja Blitz Yard sale
View Current Location via Spot Tracker
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 10:30 PM   #703
xcgates
Whaaa?

Quote:
... orient like a nail before getting HAMMERED into your hip by pavement or whatever.
*knocks on wood* That's never happened to me, however I've stabbed myself in soft tissue many times from the sharp ends of pens/pencils in my pocket. Any time I fall, I normally don't do a face-first fall, which would be required to really land on the keys. They seem to stay nicely oriented in any case.

Since you mentioned that, my own "Note to Self" is to not carry sharp things in my pockets oriented a certain direction.

Old 07-31-2011, 10:45 PM   #704
Lonestar2112
Moran in training

Oddometer: 6,344
XC, I was delivering a bike for a buddy I has his spare set of keys taped toegther and then I taped them inside a secure pocket of my R2P.

They stayed that way until I pulled them out to deliver the bike.
Old 08-01-2011, 08:03 AM   #705
tgeliot
Topher

Oddometer: 1,341
I had my house key secure in the chest pocket of my Kilimanjaro. Got home, no key. Gaahhh. Climbed in through the kitchen window. Searched jacket again, the key was inside one of the many sub-sub pockets of that vest pocket. TOO MANY POCKETS!
1) Coroner's report is to read "Death by misadventure."
2) Dixieland jazz band at my funeral.
tgeliot is offline   Reply With Quote