Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2013, 06:56 PM   #961
MiteyF
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,853
Quote:
Originally Posted by troidus View Post
No kiddin'. I flip it to Stop to kill the engine, then as soon as it quits spinning flip it back to Run. That's much easier, faster, and safer than reaching up for the key while trying to hold the bike still with the clutch in.
How so? If you can't support your bike with one hand off the bars, you have no place riding a motorcycle in the first place. I kill my bike while coasting to my parking spot, using the key. Never once had a mishap. Imagine that.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:26 PM   #962
troidus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiteyF View Post
How so? If you can't support your bike with one hand off the bars, you have no place riding a motorcycle in the first place. I kill my bike while coasting to my parking spot, using the key. Never once had a mishap. Imagine that.
Didn't say I couldn't do it, just that it's easier to stop the engine the other way.

Imagine being on a hill and trying to balance with a touring load aboard (960 pounds with me on it, last time I took it across a truck scale, and that's a good 100 lbs. under max gross), keep it from rolling down the hill with only the rear brake, and shut the engine off with the key with it in gear. Sure, you can do it that way, but why? It's easier to keep it still with the front brake and both feet on the ground and use your thumb to stop the engine. Then let out the clutch, ease off the front brake to take up the driveline slack, put the sidestand down, ease over onto it, then turn the key off and lock the fork.

Not everyone here rides a 200# dirtbike.
troidus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:34 PM   #963
Tom S
Can I ride it?

Oddometer: 4,200
Quote:
Originally Posted by duck View Post
How so? I've been using the kill switch for oodles and oodles of miles (as long as I can remember) and it's never "bitten" me yet.
Living in the cold country *forever* I have had more dead car batteries than I can count so I donít want my batts wasting away for one second longer than they have to. Just seen too many that forgot to turn their bike's key off & then walk away. Good luck to you. It is a rare occasion that I use the kill switch.
Some combination of neutral, brakes, key off, stand down but always key off & removed to kill it. Select first gear after off if on a slope. Key's in my pocket & nothing to forget. Ainít gonna argue about it.
Tom S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:35 PM   #964
MiteyF
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by troidus View Post
Didn't say I couldn't do it, just that it's easier to stop the engine the other way.

Imagine being on a hill and trying to balance with a touring load aboard (960 pounds with me on it, last time I took it across a truck scale, and that's a good 100 lbs. under max gross), keep it from rolling down the hill with only the rear brake, and shut the engine off with the key with it in gear. Sure, you can do it that way, but why? It's easier to keep it still with the front brake and both feet on the ground and use your thumb to stop the engine. Then let out the clutch, ease off the front brake to take up the driveline slack, put the sidestand down, ease over onto it, then turn the key off and lock the fork.

Not everyone here rides a 200# dirtbike.
I regularly ride a fully loaded Strom, 2 up with camping gear. And I weigh 140lb. If I can do it, anyone can.
Old 03-25-2013, 08:36 PM   #965
Tom S
Can I ride it?

MiteyF: ďAs NW as the US getsĒ Really? Youíre in Alaska?
Old 03-25-2013, 08:38 PM   #966
MiteyF
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom S View Post
MiteyF: ďAs NW as the US getsĒ Really? Youíre in Alaska?
nah, I'm in the NW corner of WA. Alaska isn't really the US, it's a world of it's own. Besides, adding "continental" in there just seemed excessive
Old 03-25-2013, 08:44 PM   #967
Tom S
Can I ride it?

Quote:
nah, I'm in the NW corner of WA.
Well, then ....
Old 03-25-2013, 08:49 PM   #968
sandsman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 422
Quote:
nah, I'm in the NW corner of WA. Alaska isn't really the US, it's a world of it's own. Besides, adding "continental" in there just seemed excessive

Last time I looked, there was still 50 stars on my flag........unless you know something I don't. Ask the the Alaska folks if they are US citizens.....just saying.
sandsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:53 PM   #969
MiteyF
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsman View Post
Last time I looked, there was still 50 stars on my flag........unless you know something I don't. Ask the the Alaska folks if they are US citizens.....just saying.
Alaska and Hawaii are what I would call "outliers"
Old 03-26-2013, 05:15 AM   #970
duck
Banned

Oddometer: 10,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom S View Post
Living in the cold country *forever* I have had more dead car batteries than I can count so I donít want my batts wasting away for one second longer than they have to. Just seen too many that forgot to turn their bike's key off & then walk away. Good luck to you. It is a rare occasion that I use the kill switch.
Some combination of neutral, brakes, key off, stand down but always key off & removed to kill it. Select first gear after off if on a slope. Key's in my pocket & nothing to forget. Ainít gonna argue about it.
If you're too stupid to turn off your bike and remove the key then you deserve a dead battery.
duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 08:51 AM   #971
troidus
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,450
Quote:
Originally Posted by duck View Post
If you're too stupid to turn off your bike and remove the key then you deserve a dead battery.
I don't know about deserving a dead battery, but ending up with one is not the fault of the kill switch.
troidus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:20 AM   #972
VTvfr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 410
NTS: The kill-switch discussion on a moto forum is just as volatile/pointless and will derail a thread as quickly as an oil discussion

'07 990 Adv
'07 250 XC-W
(plated)
'03 600RR
(track duty only now)
'94 VFR750 (sold)

VTvfr screwed with this post 03-28-2013 at 01:03 PM
VTvfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 08:49 AM   #973
Cpt. Ron
Advrider #128

Oddometer: 2,983
Just because the alternator light on your R1150RTP is glowing doesn't mean you have a charging problem. But go ahead and buy a new alternator anyway, only to find out the glowing light is still there.

By the way, it could also be your ignition switch....

"I don't know what you do, but I know what I do, and I don't do that." --Uncle Doug, R.I.P.
"Without the possibility of death, adventure is not possible"--Reinhold Messner
Cpt. Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 06:49 AM   #974
nuggets
Fries with that?

Oddometer: 1,661
Note to self: Use a locking nut on the bolt that attaches your custom made light/dash front subframe to the steering stem on your ratbike.

Otherwise your bolt might fall out, which allows the subframe to fall onto the fork tubes, which means you can't steer anymore, which means you are now busy crashing.

In my case I was lucky to only be going about 10mph when it happened.

Note to self: Wear shoes while using your angle grinder with cutoff wheel. It just might bind, breaking the cutoffwheel while yanking it out of your hands, then crashing down right next to your bare foot.

Note to self: No matter how bad your wheelie is going, do not stick your leg out to save it. Your boot might catch on the pavement, snapping your ACL in the process. You will have at least six months of rehab to think about the fact that tapping the rear brake is the better choice.
Old 03-30-2013, 07:32 AM   #975
elel
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Nts

Always switch your multimeter probes back from the current measurement shunt before testing an outlet. On the plus side, the tips of the probes burn off quick enough to prevent major damage to the meter.
elel is offline   Reply With Quote