Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > The Garage
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-30-2008, 08:38 PM   #106
ehatcher
Hello? Is this thing on?

Oddometer: 2,081
When removing the oil drain plug from your F650, make sure you use the right size socket. Not one that is 2mm larger, which will convert the hex to a nearly round shape that no socket will work on.

When attemping to remove the drain plug with the now nearly round hex, don't use a pipe wrench. The teeth on the pipe wrench will act like little files and make your nearly round former hex into a perfectly round stub that nothing will grab ahold of.

At this stage you should not use a channel lock to smooth it out even more.

Foul langauge, no matter how colorful and plentifull, will not remove a drain plug.

Supposing you went ahead and used the 2mm larger socket, then the pipe wrench and lastly the channel locks....PM me and I will loan you my special socket set, designed especially for idiots, that removes all manner of rounded nuts and only cost $70.

Happy wrenching.

"Mostly the animals understand their roles, but man, by comparison, seems troubled by a message that he cannot quite remember or has gotten wrong. Bereft of instinct, he must search continually for meanings." Loren Eiseley

My Dakar http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=197573
ehatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 01:01 PM   #107
wos
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,608
Don't weld in snowboots, especially if you tuck your pants into them.
Don't buy discount welding rods made by some Italian place that no one has ever heard of.
Don't try pulling the one inch long piece of welding rod out of the hole in your ankle with bare fingers.
wos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 05:52 AM   #108
je2000
Adventurer

Oddometer: 67
If you're going to drop a lit match into a bottle of "magic potion" you made as a kid, don't look directly down inside the bottle when you drop the match.

Unless having no eybrows or eyelashes is "cool".

While siphoning extra motor oil out of your bike, make sure you actually have somewhere to put the extra oil before you start.
Old 12-03-2008, 07:44 AM   #109
balance
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,239
Remove rotor lock before attempting to ride off center stand...
Old 12-07-2008, 05:50 AM   #110
rebake
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,005
Saw a friend do this.Make sure the trailer is firmly connected to your brothers brand new 40 thousand dollar truck before you try to load the bike.If you don't you can end up with a nice trailer hitch shaped hole in the tailgate of said truck.
rebake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 05:45 PM   #111
carternick79
Cami's Dad

Oddometer: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by balance
Remove rotor lock before attempting to ride off center stand...

That sucks but I would have liked to seen that in action...
Old 12-17-2008, 12:46 PM   #112
road_thing
chingadero

Oddometer: 36
Bomber--your grand-dad formulated road_thing's first rule of welding!!

I could tell you you about removing rear shock absorbers from an MGA--turns out they're permanently attached to the plate that secures the U-bolts that holds the rear axle tube to the leaf springs. When you take the last nut off the second U-bolt, the whole back-end of the car drops. It's best not to be laying on the ground underneath with a ratchet in your hand when that happens...

rt
road_thing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 06:16 PM   #113
UngaWunga
Mosquito bait

Oddometer: 6,674
Make sure to check that the petcock on your snowblower is turned on before disassembling snowblower's carb to find the reason why its not starting.

Do not weld in sandals.

Make sure to close your eyes when blowing dirt out of a crevice on a bike/car/wife/whatevery.
Old 12-18-2008, 05:41 AM   #114
MiamiMotorcyclist
used to be -MiamiUly

Oddometer: 1,854
Quote:
Originally Posted by UngaWunga
Make sure to check that the petcock on your snowblower is turned on before disassembling snowblower's carb to find the reason why its not starting.

Old 12-18-2008, 09:55 AM   #115
carternick79
Cami's Dad

Oddometer: 262
I love that movie...
Old 12-20-2008, 06:29 AM   #116
metlcutr55
LongGoneDaddy

Oddometer: 883
if your motor (sno blower in my case) siezes from sitting, and you fill the cyl up with pb blaster to free it, dont stand directly in front of the sparkplug hole when you hit the electric start, with no compression, the motor spins very freely and the pb blaster smells and tastes bad.

if youre in a park lot checking your newly tuned suspension over speedbumps, first look for any chains between posts that might be there, or you might have to walk across the park lot to pick up your bike, listen to a drunk on a porch nearby laughing his ass off, explain to someone how it hit their car, and explain to your friends the -0-0-0- black and blue on your neck.

if you wear bellbottoms and ride a kickstart mc, be sure the kick lever is not inside your bellbottoms when you ride off, or you might not be able to get your foot off the peg when needed.
I am what you may call the 8th wonder.
Hey look out boys, get out the way, ladies get in line.
I aint perfect but almost, I'm dyin' if I'm lyin'
metlcutr55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 04:51 PM   #117
pennswoodsed
lizards,bugs and me

Oddometer: 668
Eek video video !

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLboxeR
Youch! Then you get to deal with a sunburn when you're done welding in short sleeves

That reminds me of one that happened a couple of months ago:

If you are using a plasma torch, be sure and take your finger off the trigger when you lean against the welding table to adjust the workpiece.........otherwise one's pants zipper might ground against the table while you inadvertantly press the torches trigger resulting in , what I like to call, the "molten yyk zipper against my pubes and holy shit I almost burned my junk off with a plasma torch" dance

I will pay pal money right now to see that !
pennswoodsed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2008, 05:45 PM   #118
ibafran
villagidiot

Oddometer: 1,241
Sometimes broken plastic pieces can be pinned by pushing a preheated bit of steel rod (coat hanger wire?) through the plastic bits. If the pieces are small and the rod is very hot, note to self, use a thimble to prevent driving the super heated rod coated in very hot liquid plastic into my fingertip. Sweet Geebus! That hurts!
Old 12-28-2008, 06:01 PM   #119
ibafran
villagidiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by UngaWunga
Make sure to check that the petcock on your snowblower is turned on before disassembling snowblower's carb to find the reason why its not starting.....
Reminds of a time that I spent a long frozen evening in the street trying to figure out why my cage wouldn't start with plenty of batt and fuel. After damn near freezing to death, I gave up resolving to get an early start on it at first light. The next morning, I dragged my tool boxes out to the cage and had dressed for a subarctic day. I sat down behind the wheel hoping to get lucky before opening up the tools. Right off, I noticed that the autotrans lever was down in first instead of being in park. Sucker fired right up when shifted into park. One of the extremely few mistakes that I didn't have to re-learn since then.

edit; note to self; if in doubt, read the instructions.
Old 12-28-2008, 06:17 PM   #120
ibafran
villagidiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blinkerfluid
When using a grinder, the shower of sparks will set your clothes on fire.
Also the little bits of very hot grit and metal will melt into and speckle the plastic lenses in your prescription glasses. Note to self, always wear the dang safety glasses no matter how miniscule the job.