User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-01-2008, 07:37 AM   #1
Medic Maik OP
Desert Lover

Oddometer: 196
Ideal trip planning web-application and motorcycle travel blog

Ok, for a while now I have been disappointed by various blog sites and mashups presumably intended for trip planning and trip diary....

Since I often plan trips with people who live scattered across the country, what I am looking for is:
  • A trip planning web app where you can share a map for editing with multiple people. Different peoples markers are color coded. In the map you can put POI's, route suggestions, etc etc. Maybe upload previous GPS routes?
  • The trip planning section wiki-style editing
  • A section allowing me to blog travel reports
  • Display a map beside your blog entry showing either the waypoint or the stretch of road you are blogging about
  • Easy photo AND video integration into your blog
I am currently using a combination of google maps for the planning (can't really be shared for editing) and http://www.footstops.com/maikhassel/trips/936 for my trip reports (various shortcomings).

Winter is coming up and I may have a little spare time on my hands, sooo.....

QUESTIONS:
  • Am I the only one who is looking for this
  • Does anyone know of something like this already existing??? Why re-invent the wheel?
  • Would you use something like this, and if so: What other features would you like?
I am thinking of developing something like this for private (and maybe community) use... Just looking for ideas I might have missed...

BEFORE THE FLAMING STARTS, a little disclaimer:
  • I am NOT trying to create a commercial product (no time, no interest), heck it may not even be publicly available
  • I am NOT trying to make a competing product to ADV Rider - come on now...
Medic Maik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 12:55 PM   #2
olebiker
Old buzzard bait

Oddometer: 3,379
The mapping stuff would be interesting. It is something that I don't know a whole lot about.
olebiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 06:11 AM   #3
cjr9968
n00b

Oddometer: 1
That sounds like a great idea. Do you know anything about web development? I'd love to work on this.
cjr9968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 02:10 PM   #4
bike&run
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Google Maps Functionality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medic Maik View Post
I am currently using a combination of google maps for the planning (can't really be shared for editing)
Google maps can be shared for editing. I have several maps I share with others. If you create your own map (My Maps) you can allow others to view or view and edit (Collaborate). Assign colors to different people in order to differentiate. Or did I read this wrong and you're already taking advantage of this functionality but it isn't sufficient?
bike&run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 02:20 PM   #5
Honkey Cat
Tailights Fade!

Oddometer: 1,064
mapping

it would be great if you could add awesome rides you do to share.
Honkey Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 06:04 AM   #6
themotojourney
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Trip planning

I have found a similar lack of aggregated trip planning info.

For far flung destinations there sometimes just isn't the easy resource that you might expect in the developed world.

Try Garmin MapSource to create your route (and helpfully store waypoints!). A lot of users GPX files are available here and at the HUBB.

Then it's just a question of the details of where you are going to be: Lonely Planet, CIA Factbook, Tripadvisor, other blogs and wider Internet searching is still sometimes the best.
themotojourney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 10:43 AM   #7
jkdwings
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
Like bike&run mentioned, Google Maps does have a pretty useful collaboration tool. It certainly doesn't combine the other features you're looking for as a blog, but maybe it will work for you until you find something better. I started a map a while back looking for suggestions for routes and places to see along the way of a fly and ride I'll be doing soon. You can either invite specific people to collaborate with or do an open collaboration. Here is the map if you want to play around with it a bit and see if it's what you're looking for at all. Below is what I posted in another forum explaining how to use it. Feel free to add any points in just to play with it - I've got another map now that I'm using, so I don't care if you add random things.

Quote:
I've just started using Maps' collaboration tool which seems pretty cool so far, but this is my first time trying an open collaboration, so let me know if it works for you. I think it could be very powerful for putting together a route. It looks like you need to be signed in to your Google account to edit the map (if you have Gmail, it's the same login info); the login is in the top right. From the link, you should see a red button on the left that says "Edit". Click on that, then search for places as you normally would on Maps. To add to the map, click the placemarker of the location you just searched and click on "Save to Map", then select the map to save to, in this case "Buffalo to Saskatoon". A message will pop up at the top of the map saying that it was saved, and will have a link "View Map" that will take you back to the whole map, with your new point having been added.
jkdwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 07:37 PM   #8
TheBigSteve
I wish my name was Dick.

Oddometer: 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdwings View Post
Like bike&run mentioned, Google Maps does have a pretty useful collaboration tool. It certainly doesn't combine the other features you're looking for as a blog, but maybe it will work for you until you find something better. I started a map a while back looking for suggestions for routes and places to see along the way of a fly and ride I'll be doing soon. You can either invite specific people to collaborate with or do an open collaboration. Here is the map if you want to play around with it a bit and see if it's what you're looking for at all. Below is what I posted in another forum explaining how to use it. Feel free to add any points in just to play with it - I've got another map now that I'm using, so I don't care if you add random things.
Unfortunately google maps has quite a few limitations that do bring things down (I don't think markers have any sort of permissions beyond publicly editable vs not publicly editable, they don't retain any ownership, there is a limit to how many markers can be on a map, etc).

I'd love to develop an app like this (I'm a web developer), but I don't have the time right now. However, I'm planning a 1.5month trip all around the USA starting April 1st, and I'll be developing some bloggy software for my own usage in order to keep my ride public and entertaining. I quickly threw together a little page of my tentative stops ( http://bigtrip.stevensoconnor.com ), based on gmaps's API, in order to put my own spin on things without google maps's limitations.

What I'm trying to say, at least to the op, is that you're certainly not the only one who's found current online tools lacking in a big way, and some sort of trip-sharing site would be nice, though I'm not sure if there are any current solutions for that sort of thing. I'll be following this thread quite excitedly, hopefully some awesome stuff comes out of it :)
TheBigSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 12:26 AM   #9
DILLIGAFFF
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Blogs

We have used travelpod for a few years for our blog which is OK as a diary as you can upload photos and share it and is quite easy to use. There's also maps with it.
DILLIGAFFF is offline   Reply With Quote