Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-05-2008, 12:30 PM   #16
azkiwi
message in a bottle

Oddometer: 9,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by dad2bike
I've hade more get-offs on my 950 getting on and off of it than riding it. The best one was my wife mounting and throwing her weight to the far side. Over we went.
Thanks, hon!

At least you had someone handy to help pick up that mutha!
azkiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 02:11 PM   #17
addkid
ready to race!

Oddometer: 3
Hope this makes you feel better

I wouldn't feel bad dude.

I just got my KTM 990 Adv in May 2013, and not even 3 months later, this happened:

I was devastated at first, but a week later, it looks kinda "cool" and all my friend say it will happen again, so just remember, its those "battle scars" that give your bike character.

This is my first post (I think) and Im writing to you all the way from Sunny South Africa.

Here are some awesome photos I took shortly after my fall, makes it all worth it now doesnt it.

Enjoy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodi View Post
I was a little braver than I should have been on a large very steep hill climb and laid the bike down half way up the hill and got a few scratches on the orange tank plastics and also the back side plastics. SInce I was solo and half way up the hill it was a bit of a challenge to man handle the bike back into a position I could point it down the hill. Also broke both front and rear clear blinker plastics on left side but that is a easy fix.

I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions for buffing out the scratches. the ones on the tank aren't deep but the ones on the back plastics are pretty deep.

I can live with it and not worry but it sucks having a bike with little over 1k in miles looking so tough so quickly.

Also to add insult to injury I was getting hot in my Arai XD helmet and tried to put it down on the ground when I was holding my bike up and trying to keep the hand brake engaged. Needless to say that was a mistake and becuase the grade of the hill was so steep my nice helmet started rolling down the hill. It finally stopped after 300ft or so with some nice big dents and scrathes in it.. Hindsight is 20/20 I guess.

Bodi
addkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 02:38 PM   #18
przjohn
Adventurer

Oddometer: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfb View Post
Pretty much anything you try in terms of buffing, sanding, plastic welding, painting will make it cosmetically worse, not better.

Replacing the tank protectors if the scratches are low is cheap and fast.

New tanks would of course solve the problem but are uber-expensive, then you get to scratch them again.

Put a FYYFF sticker on and call it done...
The best advise yet. Hell, ya might as well throw an M80 in the tank with some of the tool box answers you get here. This place never ceases to amaze me at what folks wth absolutely no farkin clue tell you what to do.

Plastic is tough to bring back even for the most experienced restorers, it is not a simple rubbing compound job. Live with it or replace it, but plastic ain't cheap.
przjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 09:13 PM   #19
pfb
Riding, not skiing.

Oddometer: 5,368
Always weird to see something you posted five years ago quoted and brought back from the dark recesses of ADVrider...
Old 08-23-2013, 11:20 AM   #20
bigdon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,455
I try and buy all my bikes Pre Scratched !

Don't stop riding until you get to the crash , you might save it!
bigdon is offline   Reply With Quote