ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2013, 03:10 PM   #22816
LadyDraco
KillerSmileIHazIt !!

Oddometer: 28,073
Oh man I wish we could .. HB would love him some Elpaso

I'm making homemade turtles and 100grand bars..

Check it from time to time as I'm always adding to it..
My Rides and life on the Farm
LadyDraco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:19 PM   #22817
tuffstuff
Livin' Life

Oddometer: 514
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloochdog View Post
anybody up for a burger at Jack Brown's massanuthin or Elpaso tonight... here another night and do not feel like cleaning up the kitchen again.
Damn - I would have tried to round up a Cville contingent to come meet you for this if I had seen it earlier. I would have put off house chores to another time. After riding this afternoon I had no motivation to do anything productive and from everyone's comments it sounds like these places need to be on my list to try!

LD - I wish you and HB lived closer.
Old 02-12-2013, 08:43 PM   #22818
bloochdog
Itinerant jackass

Oddometer: 5,759
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffstuff View Post
Damn - I would have tried to round up a Cville contingent to come meet you for this if I had seen it earlier. I would have put off house chores to another time. After riding this afternoon I had no motivation to do anything productive and from everyone's comments it sounds like these places need to be on my list to try!

LD - I wish you and HB lived closer.
I will give earlier warning next time. Me and Banshee dont need much prodding to ride to your side of the mountian some time... we are going to try to make movie night some time.
Old 02-12-2013, 09:34 PM   #22819
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,529
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Rocket View Post
... Last winter we had nothing to speak [of], ... We had only 21" up to now, before this storm for this season. ... Jan 2011 we had 60+" in that month alone.
I finally can sleep through the night now when it snows. ...
The farmer across the street lost all 3 greenhouses yesterday. He just replaced them after Jan 2011 did the same thing to them.
It would all be OK if we had nice cool summers, but we get the same heat and humidity (sometimes worse humidity) as you get.
And besides, I see pics of you guys riding and it's killing me.
If it makes ya feel any better, this is the second unusually mild low-snow winter in a row for us. The year before ('10-'11) we had a bunch of snow (don't know the figure). The driveway at my garage looked like a tunnel.

Congratulations on your retirement! You're talking about moving south from there to here. Well that's cool; I'm thinking of moving south myself. To the equator would be just about perfect. I can remember lots of long, cold winters. Winters where things would freeze solid and stay that way for quite a while. Winters where we'd get that loose powdery snow that you only get when it's really cold, and sometimes a lot of it. These latest winters aren't representative of this area's average over time. My expectation is that we're gonna get slammed with wicked cold one winter soon to make up for these unusual but welcomed warm winters. That's how the law of averages works and I don't really want to be around for the rebound. And cool summers? It's hotter and more humid on the east side of the mountain, and usually most of the summer is tolerable, but... on average we get a week or two of sweltering weather that is in the high 90s. And last summer, we had about ten days in a row where it broke 100. The day my daughter got married, I saw 102 on the thermometer at the house about mid-morning. I think it was the hottest day of the year. Unbelievably uncomfortable to wear a tux on! So yeah it sure would be nice to get some relief from the extremes we get here. There's a fraction of each year where it's absolutely gorgeous here, some in the spring and some in the fall, but it just doesn't last long enough. You would see some difference between there and here in overall warmness and snow, but it may not be as much as you're hoping for.

Now why that farmer didn't replace his broken roofs with steep ones that the snow would slide down is beyond me. I think if an insurance company is going to cover that kind of damage, they should require a certain minimum pitch. I sure don't want part of my premiums for catastrophe insurance to go toward continually replacing the same things that break over and over again.
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:59 PM   #22820
tuffstuff
Livin' Life

Oddometer: 514
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloochdog View Post
I will give earlier warning next time. Me and Banshee dont need much prodding to ride to your side of the mountian some time... we are going to try to make movie night some time.
Excellent! Longer days with more riding are just around the corner. See you soon!!
Old 02-14-2013, 08:03 AM   #22821
Nick650
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 522
As soon as this leg heals up , i am going on a road trip. I really miss riding. A nurse was taking me to xray monday and asked me if i had sold my motorcycle yet. I asked her if she was in a car accident ,would she quit driving and just walk from then on. Accidents happen. I will never forget that ice freezes on bridges before asphalt. People that don't ride always assume that we will quickly sell our motorcycles because now we should know they are bad. They are probley the same people that want to outlaw guns because they are dangerous. Some of my best memories involve riding. Route 60 heading to new river gorge bridge one fall, sun shining through the trees, five other friends riding along. The leafy fall smell of the woods, the bike handleing smoothly underneath me. Or loading your suspension on a water break that has a large, deep mudhole on the other side and landing smoothly 2 feet from the edge. All of our group rides. So many memories and times that i felt at this moment in time there is no other place i would rather be. I may become physically unable to ride one day but i will ride until then. Durn , you can tell i'm going stir crazy by the way i ramble on. Ya'll have a good day.
Nick650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:07 AM   #22822
VACommuter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,623
That's what I'm talking about, beetches! You go Nick.

VAC
2003 KLR 685 "Street Ugly"
2007 KLR 719 "Muscles from Brussels"
VACommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:08 AM   #22823
hppyfngy
not dead yet

Oddometer: 4,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick650 View Post
As soon as this leg heals up , i am going on a road trip. I really miss riding. A nurse was taking me to xray monday and asked me if i had sold my motorcycle yet. I asked her if she was in a car accident ,would she quit driving and just walk from then on. Accidents happen. I will never forget that ice freezes on bridges before asphalt. People that don't ride always assume that we will quickly sell our motorcycles because now we should know they are bad. They are probley the same people that want to outlaw guns because they are dangerous. Some of my best memories involve riding. Route 60 heading to new river gorge bridge one fall, sun shining through the trees, five other friends riding along. The leafy fall smell of the woods, the bike handleing smoothly underneath me. Or loading your suspension on a water break that has a large, deep mudhole on the other side and landing smoothly 2 feet from the edge. All of our group rides. So many memories and times that i felt at this moment in time there is no other place i would rather be. I may become physically unable to ride one day but i will ride until then. Durn , you can tell i'm going stir crazy by the way i ramble on. Ya'll have a good day.
Soon, man. It'll be soon.

'13 KLR 650 For Sale!
'07 KLX250s
hppyfngy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:08 AM   #22824
HBN OP
is car free

Oddometer: 11,942
In the words of my RMH surgeon: "Let me fix you up so you can go hurt yourself again"

Great insight Nick. You'll be riding in no time
HBurgNinja - The Thread | HBN Boondocking the Nation | Beards to Canada
HBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:10 AM   #22825
mtnflow
LFC, more pie please

Oddometer: 2,250
Awesome nick.

shouldn't you people be working or something....it's 10 in the morning
mtnflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:11 AM   #22826
VACommuter
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,623
Slow day working for The Man. What can I say. Social media is blocked so ADV is all I got to keep me sane...

VAC
2003 KLR 685 "Street Ugly"
2007 KLR 719 "Muscles from Brussels"
VACommuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:17 AM   #22827
LadyDraco
KillerSmileIHazIt !!

Oddometer: 28,073
Nick... I hope all is going well with ya...
And YOU will be riding in no time...

Check it from time to time as I'm always adding to it..
My Rides and life on the Farm
LadyDraco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:20 AM   #22828
mtnflow
LFC, more pie please

Oddometer: 2,250
Nick, did Rachel get your batteries on the charger/tender yet?
mtnflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:32 AM   #22829
Hack

Oddometer: 3,793
When I was in fourth grade I broke my arm doing gymnastics. I quit gymnastics but I rode my Honda QA50 with that broken arm, cast and all. Many years later at about 20 y.o. I rode my Quad with a broken ankle after breaking it on a CR500. Again, cast and all. My pops rigged up a stick to shift with as it was my left ankle. Down shifting, no problem. Up shifting, let go of throttle reach over and pull up on the stick.

See ya riding soon Nick.
Hack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:46 AM   #22830
valongbeard
Accidental Adventure

Oddometer: 1,277
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick650 View Post
Some of my best memories involve riding.
You got that right Nick. I bet you stirred the emotions of everyone here. We get what you're saying. Those who don't ride, will never understand. I keep telling my wife that riding my bike is as close as I can get to flying. Sailing along with the wind in my face as free as a bird.

Happy mending Nick. I know it's hard, but take care of that leg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mica View Post
I liked his form but the results were negligible.
valongbeard is offline   Reply With Quote