ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-2008, 02:02 PM   #91
lunchmeat
MLI

Oddometer: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooliken
Lol! Man you must of just missed us. We ran into some issues with Lunchmeats bike......I will let him tell the story. We actually took the Ruth fire trail.

I do not know how we missed each other......
I made it home in good shape. After I left Steve I stopped and put the rubbers back in the pegs and aired up the tires again and checked the JB weld. Now that I'm home and rinsed all the shi^ off of her you really can't see the JB Weld. It matches the color of the magnesium valve coversThe scratches on the Roundel and the top box give her a little character.
It was sure nice to get out today and meet some good folks and have a good run. TKC's next time. Maybe Steve got some pics of me trying to run her up in the trees out of that mudhole?? THanks guys. Let's do it again sometime.
Old 11-16-2008, 02:46 PM   #92
OldnoGPS
Just a sightseer

Oddometer: 1,242
Sorry I missed you guys, next time I'll get off of my ass and be on time. Yeah buddy, those deep, wet leaves were doing a good job of hiding some big, slick rocks. You'll note that I went up - and right back down - from Aylor to the middle of the trail. Yeah, I'm a candyass - I found the steep/rutted section up/down from Aylor plenty entertaining since I was riding alone.

Next time.
OldnoGPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 02:56 PM   #93
Steverino
Arrogant Horse's Ass #1

Oddometer: 36,553
Sorry we missed ya Ted.

No pics of that maneuver Lunch, but it was entertaining.

ouch...

were you a boy scout?

nice tool roll.

all better...

if you want help with the tires let me know, got a tire changer in the garage.

Had a great day and enjoyed it.

Steve
Steverino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008, 03:31 PM   #94
Skippii
Hookers, my lad.

Oddometer: 6,474
....well, that's one way to get water out of the cylinder after misjudging river depth....
Old 11-17-2008, 03:39 AM   #95
hooliken
Awesome is a flavor

Oddometer: 2,733
And this is what Lunchmeat thinks of the "Death" Wings for offroad use.....

Incoming BMW battleship. I know that the Adventure is a bigger bike but when it really stands out is when you see it parked close to my SE. lol!

Look up the trail and around that corner is where Larry's BMW decided to play Harley Davidson and dump some oil on the trail.....

I cannot even began to describe how slippery some of the sections were yesterday. Steve and I at least had decent offroad tires, although Steve's rear TKC was looking a little............worn. I had several sideways, feet off the peg moments! But fortunately I had some tread block to save me. All of us should give Larry a round of applause because not once did he bitch about the conditions and just kept plugging along. You could tell he was somewhat relieved to be off that fire trail though....

I want to thank Steve and Larry for a very entertaining ride yesterday. Momma must be starting mentalpause cause by the time I got home she was all sunshine and roses...
I am hoping to meet the rest of you who post here for some riding. There are several of you that I live close to so do not hesitate to hit me up for a ride, for some help in the garage or whatever. Just as long as it does not involve helping you move...
hooliken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 05:22 AM   #96
OldnoGPS
Just a sightseer

Oddometer: 1,242
I'd note that none of the pix show the really rocky sections that are mostly north of the Aylor cutoff. Throw in some wet, lots of wind-blown leaves and it's a real challenge even with kind of knobby tires. Hard to pick a good line when you can't see the obstacles.

And just another thing: It's a long ways to medical care from up there and many other places we ride in Greene and Madison (and Albemarle, Nelson...). I have already had the experience this year of taking a head injured rider off of Ruth Fire Trail (airhead GS, hit a rock), took me 45 minutes in Grimmboy's truck to get from the top of Quaker Run to about 1/2 mile north of the Aylor cutoff on the trail. Then 20 minutes down to Aylor off the side of the world. Met the Madison Squad in Aylor, not sure what equipment they have to get up there. Guy ended up OK but it's food for thought. Of course it didn't keep me from going banzai through there a couple of weeks ago (in the dry) with SST and Grimmy...
OldnoGPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 02:24 PM   #97
hooliken
Awesome is a flavor

So how was work today people????

Spent a couple hours cleaning leaves out of my yard then spent the rest of the day riding........
Old 11-17-2008, 04:21 PM   #98
HBN OP
is car free

Oddometer: 11,925
I got out in the snow and ice through Hopkins Gap for the Valley Tag after work. Crazy fun

On the way home I stopped by to see Skippii at his work. Unfortunately I saw that he was busy through the office window.
From Valley_Tag_2

Skippii, I told the lady at the front desk that the National Forest Service Honda Civic you parked next to had left their interior lights on. Maybe you can let the owner know.
HBurgNinja - The Thread | HBN Boondocking the Nation | Beards to Canada

HBN screwed with this post 11-17-2008 at 05:14 PM
HBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 10:37 AM   #99
HBN OP
is car free

Pizza Lunch/Maintenance at Skippii's- Noon,Wed

Pizza Lunch/Maintenance at Skippii's in Harrisonburg
Noon, Wed 19

PM me if you want to come so I can get extra pizza/toppings etc. Only have an hour for lunch but plan on installing my FIAMM horn.
Old 11-18-2008, 11:37 AM   #100
Skippii
Hookers, my lad.

Oddometer: 6,474
Quote:
Originally Posted by HBurgNinja
Pizza Lunch/Maintenance at Skippii's in Harrisonburg
Noon, Wed 19

PM me if you want to come so I can get extra pizza/toppings etc. Only have an hour for lunch but plan on installing my FIAMM horn.
And during that same hour, I'm planning on installing heated grips, putting dog-bone raiser in the suspension, figuring out where the hell the rest of the screws go, and fixing the Ninja. And having time left to eat pizza.
Ought to be an awesome time.

(Okay, I will be in my garage all day long, pausing only to relocate the Tag.)
Old 11-18-2008, 11:54 AM   #101
HBN OP
is car free

Relocate that tag NOW!
Old 11-18-2008, 12:00 PM   #102
Gimmeslack
furthur

Oddometer: 2,462
You guys crack me up...
I'll be sitting at my screen W O R K I N G

Deadlines...

"If you hold a cat by the tail, you learn things you cannot learn any other way."

Twain
Gimmeslack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 03:33 PM   #103
hooliken
Awesome is a flavor

I am headed to H'Burg tomorrow to have lunch with me wife. Anything worthy dirtwise for me to check out between Elkton and H'Burg? Come on Valley Dudes share the love....
Old 11-18-2008, 04:27 PM   #104
Gimmeslack
furthur

Oddometer: 2,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooliken
I am headed to H'Burg tomorrow to have lunch with me wife. Anything worthy dirtwise for me to check out between Elkton and H'Burg? Come on Valley Dudes share the love....
AFAIK for "challenging" dirt, I don't know of anything on the East side of town. Of course there are lots of dirt roads and it's a lovely valley. But if you want rock gardens or fire trails, I think you'll have to head further West to GWNF.

Caveat: there are lots of folks on here that know the roads better than I

"If you hold a cat by the tail, you learn things you cannot learn any other way."

Twain
Gimmeslack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 05:42 PM   #105
HBN OP
is car free

Between Elkton and Harrisonburg there are only a few dirt roads, none of which are challenging. If you are looking for a short detour, I would reccomend 340 South to Captain Yancey Rd., Right at Island Ford Rd then Left after the bridge onto Old Island Ford Rd aka Power Dam Rd(Dirt) along the river. This eventually will spit you out on 996 (McGaheysville Rd) or you can take a left on Three Springs Rd past the water treatment plant and then a Right on Pineville and Left on McGhaeysville Rd. Take a left at McGhaeysville Rd and this will bring you back up to Rt 33. Left to go to Harrisonburg. There was an appple tree at the old Middle School on 996 that had a great bounty of fruit. Probably all gone now, but I was filling up backpacks full of tasty free apples through the fall.

This is just a short detour through some countryside but by no means a "dirt" Route.

A nice ride to the East is to go down 340 and turn onto Ore Bank Rd or Raynes Bank Rd. These will take you South and eventually to Browns Gap aka Madison Run Fire Road. These are mostly dirt and the site of the Mt. Vernon Forge. Jubal Early fortified himself here during the Civil War and whole armies were once transported through this path. Browns Gap Rd heading East then turn Right onto Port Republic Rd. This once again crosses 340 and continues back through the town of Port Republic, past Cross Keys and to Harrisonburg.

Not sure if you have a lunch destination picked out but the Little Grill has some healthy options and a great "local" burger.

This all may have been way out of line but I just thought I'd share some nice routes.