User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2014, 12:42 PM   #1
Tripletreat OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 576
Motorcycle reliability

Motorcycle reliability is an important factor for those who ride longer distances and those whose dealership/mechanical support is distant. I've had some subtle pressure to ride a new Japanese motorcycle to reduce the possibility of a breakdown on the road. I should add that my newest road bike is a 1985 European machine. I believe that a well-maintained machine from other than Japan can be a solid touring partner. Others are not convinced.
Has anyone ever attempted to create a "reliability index" of manufacturers? Where might one look for such information?
The habit or offering personal experience or a "data point" does little to substantiate my conviction (i.e. that I can tour successfully on an older, non-Japanese machine).
Old 11-21-2014, 12:50 PM   #2
jimmex
Guero con moto

Oddometer: 2,645
This section is for RIDE REPORTS goober.
PAPA
SJTR
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 12:59 PM   #3
CA Stu
Thanks

Oddometer: 47,295
Moved from Ride Reports...
Old 11-21-2014, 01:26 PM   #4
74C5
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 967
The most reliable bike is the one you can fix the most likely of problems on regardless of location.
74C5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 03:14 PM   #5
windblown101
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 839
There's been some reports done. Can't recall if it was a MC rag or consumer reports. Whichever it was the Japanese bikes were at the top of the reliability list.

Anecdotal for sure, but of the dealers I've spoken to that carry both Euro & Japanese models and the independent repair shops I know that work on both, all seem to agree that the Euros are some great bikes but the Japanese have the edge when it comes to only having to change the oil and ride.

If my life depended on me getting across the country and back without having a single breakdown of any sort and I could ride any bike made in the world I'd jump on one made in Japan.

That doesn't mean a Japanese bike is better from an ownership experience. I love a lot of things about Euro bikes and feel there are some Euro bikes the Japanese can't touch. You just gotta be willing to live with the fact that the odds are higher of odd niggles showing up unexpectedly on the Euro brands.
windblown101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 03:44 PM   #6
Norty01
RIDERCOACH

Oddometer: 246
How do the current bikes from India/China compete with regards to " reliability?"

Royal Enfield?
Harley?
Q-Link?

others?
Norty01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 03:57 PM   #7
farmerstu
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 457
I would not disagree that Japanese bikes are the most reliable overall. however everything mechanical is subject to failure. then the question for the long distance rider becomes "how soon can i get it fixed". In the U.S. nobody can get you back on the road faster than Harley. IMO the dealer network and huge number on independent shops are HDs biggest selling point.
farmerstu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 03:58 PM   #8
limeymike
Who Me?

Oddometer: 628
I ride older euro bikes, I like to know my bikes and service them. Just going out the garage turning a key and never turning a spanner seems a bit boring. I did have a ST1300 once, yes, amazing Honda engineering but it really is a 2 wheeled Accord, Yawn.
limeymike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 05:47 PM   #9
JettPilot
ADV Fanatic !!!

Oddometer: 535
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripletreat View Post
The habit or offering personal experience or a "data point" does little to substantiate my conviction (i.e. that I can tour successfully on an older, non-Japanese machine).
That's the problem ... You have already made up your mind. You are all but saying, " unless God comes down and gives me reports and statistics that probably don't exist, I don't want to hear it... " Its pretty clear you wont listen to good advice, and are even in such denial, that you have invented some " requirements " to make sure no one will tell you anything you don't want to hear. I am a big believer in consequences. Take your old European bike on a long trip into the middle of nowhere. Maybe being stuck, broke, and having to truck your bike will teach you

Mike
JettPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 05:50 PM   #10
dwestly
Refuses to Grow Up!

Oddometer: 453
Quote:
Originally Posted by 74C5 View Post
The most reliable bike is the one you can fix the most likely of problems on regardless of location.
I would suggest that the more desirable situation is that it doesn't break on you in the first place.
dwestly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 06:30 PM   #11
dogon2whls
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
farmerstu . . . you bring up a good point . . .

and i never would have considered harley as that bike .
dogon2whls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 06:37 PM   #12
riverflow
Adventurous Commuter

Oddometer: 856
A well maintained and addressed machine of any make can be a fine touring bike. Sift through any threads and forums about your bike's issues and what is common to break and "fix it so it don't"!

"There is no such thing as bad weather, only the wrong clothes" ~ Billy Connolly.
riverflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 06:56 PM   #13
portablejohn
Sociophobe

Oddometer: 1,217
Parts and Labor. If you can get any part you need in a timely fashion (fedex), carry tools and know how to use them (a service manual counts as a tool) you could ride almost any bike.
portablejohn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 08:06 PM   #14
Tripletreat OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 576
Thank you for your keen insights, JettPilot. Until today I had not realized that asking for information invoked such passion in folks. Perhaps you've been unjustly, publicly humiliated by Consumer Reports or Motorcycle Consumer News in the past?
Be of good cheer. This too shall pass.
Old 11-22-2014, 01:35 AM   #15
Vertical C
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,616
Breaking down can be an adventure, so ride what you want.
Vertical C is online now   Reply With Quote