Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-13-2011, 12:51 PM   #511
TomADV
Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
The head kind of says Tiger, but, and it is a big but - the heart really jumps when I see the ktm. I don't know what it is about the ktm, but it has the extra something.
TomADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 07:33 AM   #512
TomADV
Adventurer

I did it. A second test ride did it. This time a bit longer and more varied. By the time I got back to the dealer I had no doubts. Awesome bike. Now the wait until I can get it. Too damn busy at work to get in and collect it for the next few days.
This time next week anyway, I hopefully will have a 2011 SMT in white. Oh yeah - can't wait.
Old 05-14-2011, 04:02 PM   #513
aks801
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
Took my first real look at one of these today. Man was I impressed!

I'm looking to get back into riding after about 5 years without a bike (last was a '79 KZ1000). I'll want to do some city riding, local blasts, day rides (into the Texas hill country) plus would like it to handle the occasional multi-day trip. Rider comfort is important, carrying a passenger is not. A high cool-factor is a plus.

This thing would appear to deliver on all accounts. Sitting on it in the showroom, it felt VERY comfortable. I'd like maybe an inch more reach forward to the handlebars, but it really wasn't cramped. The upright seating position feels great, and my legs certainly weren't cramped in the least (I'm 6', with 32" inseam). Those factory "soft" bags look pretty cool, and would probably handle my needs. I'd probably bungee a backpack to the top of the case mounting area during normal use. And I REALLY like how the very high cool factor: serious bike pron.

The current #1 choice on my list is the R1200R, so snagging a demo on either one or both will tell me a lot more (surely they will feel quite different).

Now if they'd just bring it here in something other than white....
aks801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 03:50 PM   #514
fixinbones
Tarmac Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,012
Quote:
Originally Posted by aks801 View Post
Took my first real look at one of these today. Man was I impressed!

I'm looking to get back into riding after about 5 years without a bike (last was a '79 KZ1000). I'll want to do some city riding, local blasts, day rides (into the Texas hill country) plus would like it to handle the occasional multi-day trip. Rider comfort is important, carrying a passenger is not. A high cool-factor is a plus.

This thing would appear to deliver on all accounts. Sitting on it in the showroom, it felt VERY comfortable. I'd like maybe an inch more reach forward to the handlebars, but it really wasn't cramped. The upright seating position feels great, and my legs certainly weren't cramped in the least (I'm 6', with 32" inseam). Those factory "soft" bags look pretty cool, and would probably handle my needs. I'd probably bungee a backpack to the top of the case mounting area during normal use. And I REALLY like how the very high cool factor: serious bike pron.

The current #1 choice on my list is the R1200R, so snagging a demo on either one or both will tell me a lot more (surely they will feel quite different).

Now if they'd just bring it here in something other than white....
The motors are two completely different animals. The Boxer gives you that constant torque and smoothness at any rpm while the KTM is more frenetic like a Ducati motor that wants to always be revved. I'm just getting rid of my S10000RR as my neck is getting worse. I looked at the R12R, R12GS ( which I previously owned) and the SMT. I also owned a KTM 950SMR. I really like both the KTM and boxer motors for different reasons and the fact that my Multistrada 1200 is quite similar in form and function to the SMT I've been leaning towards the BMWs. Have you sat on the R12R? The GS definitely has quite a bit more leg room for a 6' person although your inseam at 32" should be easily accomodated by the R12R. The R12R however has the least "high cool" factor. If I didnt have a Multistrada i think I would really be enticed into the SMT. The GS will probably be my next bike. Let us know what you decide. BTW, the white SMT is quite nice!!!!!!!!
'13 Ducati Diavel AMG #163
'09 KTM 65XC (son's ride)

Gone: '10 Ducati Multistrada 1200S, '11 BMW R1200GS, '10 BMW S1000RR, '08 BMW HP2 Megamoto, '07 KTM 950SMR, '05 BMW R1200GS, '94 BMW R1100R
fixinbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 06:20 AM   #515
aks801
Adventurer

Oddometer: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by fixinbones View Post
The motors are two completely different animals. The Boxer gives you that constant torque and smoothness at any rpm while the KTM is more frenetic like a Ducati motor that wants to always be revved. I'm just getting rid of my S10000RR as my neck is getting worse. I looked at the R12R, R12GS ( which I previously owned) and the SMT. I also owned a KTM 950SMR. I really like both the KTM and boxer motors for different reasons and the fact that my Multistrada 1200 is quite similar in form and function to the SMT I've been leaning towards the BMWs. Have you sat on the R12R? The GS definitely has quite a bit more leg room for a 6' person although your inseam at 32" should be easily accomodated by the R12R. The R12R however has the least "high cool" factor. If I didnt have a Multistrada i think I would really be enticed into the SMT. The GS will probably be my next bike. Let us know what you decide. BTW, the white SMT is quite nice!!!!!!!!
I have sat on the R12R, and discovered it will be paramount (not a bad pun) to order the correct seat. This one had the low seat (highly scalloped) and it just doesn't work for me. Looking at the BMW website, they have 5 different seats available, so getting the next-to-tallest will probably be how I would go. Otherwise the bike feels great. Maybe not a high "cool factor", but much German engineering to feel great about.

The SMT990 has so much to like, it will figure strongly in my decision.
aks801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 08:13 AM   #516
EastSideSM
Isn't that dangerous?

Oddometer: 1,490
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomADV View Post
I did it. A second test ride did it. This time a bit longer and more varied. By the time I got back to the dealer I had no doubts. Awesome bike. Now the wait until I can get it. Too damn busy at work to get in and collect it for the next few days.
This time next week anyway, I hopefully will have a 2011 SMT in white. Oh yeah - can't wait.
Awesome, while you couldn't go wrong with either choice in this case, I? think you will be very pleased with your decision. Can't wait to hear your first impressions and see some pics!!!!

Welcome to the wonderful world of KTM. I have the older regular SM but I have loved every minute of it and it still makes me smile more than anything else I have owned previously. I have put 32,000 miles on it in the past 3 years and am looking forward to the next 32,000.

This site has been invaluable for me to learn a lot about isssues, heading off problems, common mods, etc. It is a great resource during ownership of these machines. Good luck!!
Old 05-19-2011, 10:37 AM   #517
TomADV
Adventurer

Yeeeeehaaaaaafekkkkaaashiiiittwaayyywowwwwwwwhoooo ppppeeeee
Old 05-19-2011, 10:38 AM   #518
TomADV
Adventurer

Just rode it home!!!! Awesome. No more words needed.
Old 05-19-2011, 11:30 AM   #519
D.T.
One wheel wonder...

Oddometer: 9,790
Thumb

D.T. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 05:02 PM   #520
k1973
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 100
Just added this brand new 2010 to the stable.

Came with Zumo 665. But I'll have to wait for the crash bars, engine guard, and center stand as they are on back order. Should have them by the end of the month.

k1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 08:29 AM   #521
JJGeo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 282
^^ Nice combo!

Rode my SMT into work this morning. Picked up 1-1/2 dozen donuts on the way in and strapped them to the back. Loads of fun...and practical!
WMRRA #98
JJGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 12:29 PM   #522
EastSideSM
Isn't that dangerous?

Oddometer: 1,490
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomADV View Post
Yeeeeehaaaaaafekkkkaaashiiiittwaayyywowwwwwwwhoooo ppppeeeee
Yup!!!! Glad to see the bike had the desired effect. It hasn't gone away for me for the past 3 years. In fact I can't wait to leave work because I get to ride it home. Might take the long way today.
Old 05-20-2011, 01:05 PM   #523
TomADV
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSideSM View Post
Yup!!!! Glad to see the bike had the desired effect. It hasn't gone away for me for the past 3 years. In fact I can't wait to leave work because I get to ride it home. Might take the long way today.
I know the feeling. Can't wait to get on the bike again. Unfortunately now I have to go away for the weekend and leave the bike behind. Oh well - I am free next week so hopefully plenty of bike time then.
Old 05-21-2011, 07:23 AM   #524
Ultra54
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
What amazes me about my SMT is how it has expanded my riding possibilities as far as roads that now available to blitz. I live where frost takes its toll on the roads yet it makes no difference to the SMT with mid corner bumps dissappearing as it slices through them. I've owned many bikes and if there was only one bike I could own this would be it, include the BMW and Ducati version also. It's funny how the sport bike "purists" scratch there heads and ask me why I got rid of my Monster for this "strange" looking bike. I don't ride with many people, especially now that I have an SMT, as they can't keep pace on these crappy roads. When we are stopped at our local watering hole they look down and my virtually non existant chicken strips and comment how I must be insane and I tell them every time that it's not my abilities so much as it's actually the bike that deserves the credit. LOL...I'm looking down as the R1 guy in full leathers is telling me he swapped out his brand new stock tires for a set of what ever because he didn't like the way they turn in and the profile of brand X is so much better than everything else....blah ...blah....blah...and I see he has an inch and a half unused tread on each side of his squared off rear tire.
Ultra54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 05:12 AM   #525
jimmydeanh
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 118
Pilot Road 3's

Picked up a set last month and finally did a 1805 ride from MD to Quebec and back on all types of roads. The tyres did extremly well and I think are a good match for the bike. In the wet they were the shizzz Never had a tyre I felt comfy on in the rain until now; I was pulling 90mph sweepers in the pouring rain not realizing I left my friends behind because it just handled so well
Our Montana Adventure 2009

What I ride:
2010 KTM SM-T (AKA the Tard)
2011 KTM 350 SX-F (AKA KaTyM)
2006 Speed Triple (AKA the BAMF)
1981 Blonde (AKA Yummy)
jimmydeanh is offline   Reply With Quote