Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-05-2008, 08:54 AM   #76
Sparrowhawk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,817
KTM's Answer to the Tiger & Multistrada?

KTM showed a 990SM based touring edition with a screen and larger 19 L tank at Milan:

http://news.motorbiker.org/blogs.nsf...motorcycle.htm

http://www.ktm.com/990-Supermoto-T.100770.0.html
Sparrowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 09:42 AM   #77
fixinbones
Tarmac Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,012
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpreynolds
Bike is now showing up on KTM's US web site under Supermoto models. Am I getting too hopeful here?
'13 Ducati Diavel AMG #163
'09 KTM 65XC (son's ride)

Gone: '10 Ducati Multistrada 1200S, '11 BMW R1200GS, '10 BMW S1000RR, '08 BMW HP2 Megamoto, '07 KTM 950SMR, '05 BMW R1200GS, '94 BMW R1100R
fixinbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 09:42 AM   #78
Joe Bar
Middle England

Oddometer: 1,352
I'm sure a lot of people are full of it when it come to saying they will buy this bike or that bike, but I think this one may be different. I won't be buying one (more than happy with the HP2 MM), but I'm definitely the target audience.

Before buying the HP2 Megamoto, I had tried the Super Duke and 950SM, and previously owned a 950 Adventure. I found the SD, the SM just too focused for my type of riding, loved the build quality, and high end components, but just needed something that bit more practical and everday real world usuable. The 950 SMT looks like just the bike, only 9 months too late for me.

The bike desrves to do well, as it will surely appeal to a wider audience who want to go further than just round the block on their bike, but aren't ready for a full on tourer just yet, or to give up on decent brakes and suspension.
Old 11-05-2008, 10:02 AM   #79
wpbarlow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bar
...but just needed something that bit more practical and everday real world usuable. ...
That's a bit surprising reason. In what ways is a MM more practical/useabe than a 950SM or SD?
wpbarlow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 10:47 AM   #80
Chadd
I live in the wrong place

Oddometer: 467
I don't see it on the US site. Can you link it?

Quote:
Bike is now showing up on KTM's US web site under Supermoto models. Am I getting too hopeful here?
03 WR250F
95 GasGas JT25
Chadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 11:42 AM   #81
bluesman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,144
Quote:
Originally Posted by vander
And that's not a problem of Aprilia UK, because you're describing the situation in Spain also.

Aprilia has a big problem in dealer back up and spares availability.
Mmm...strange, couple of my colleagues in Barcelona just swear by their Aprillia dealers - in fact they told me in Barcelona region they have 8 bike and 1 scooter only dealers. So is it network or spares delivery problem?

And (really interested, not trolling) - how's KTM doing over there (Spain)? I mean -really, if you need spare part (not consumables) for say 990 Superduke or 990 Adventure, how long it takes? I am truly trying to understand why for Gawd sake KTM is so poorly represented and supplied in Benelux and France for instance comparing to Aprillia?...totally puzzling. I really need them to improve here, so I can get myself 690 nothing against Aprillia thou
Apologies for offtopic.
bluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 11:47 AM   #82
GuinnesS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 778
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpbarlow
So, you shouldn't be too surprised if KTM feels (at least a little bit) a) that most of you are full of shit- especially in a down economy with current dollar/euro values; or b) that we collectively just aren't siginificant enough in quantity to risk bringing them to the US.

Now more than ever would be the time to buy European, the Dollar is up almost 25% against the Euro since July
Old 11-05-2008, 11:54 AM   #83
Joe Bar
Middle England

Oddometer: 1,352
Quote:
...but just needed something that bit more practical and everday real world usuable. ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpbarlow
That's a bit surprising reason. In what ways is a MM more practical/useabe than a 950SM or SD?
The biggest single factor for me was the riding position, particularly on the SM. I felt I was sat too far forward, right over the front wheel (it is a supermoto after all), the Hypermotard felt the same. The SD990 was a bit better, but the fuelling was horrible on the one I tried.

But for me the MM ticked all the boxes, I like the shaft drive, the low weight, and for me the riding position is perfect. I've done over 600 miles in a day and got off the bike without an ache (slightly numb backside maybe ), and was still fine to ride the next day.

For a boxer, it's really light and feels it on the move, power and torque delivery is really linear, with great feedback. As a total package, it just doesn't feel as raw as the KTM's do. Some people like that they are so full on, but I was after a bike I could use long distance as well as day to day, and for me the MM just ticked the boxes better.
Old 11-05-2008, 11:56 AM   #84
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 4,928
Quote:
I'm sure a lot of people are full of it when it come to saying they will buy this bike or that bike, but I think this one may be different.
I'll buy one someday... used. Considering the fact that SMs depreciate like a first generation Hyundai, there's absolutely no reason to buy new, for me. For others, who feel they "need" to have the latest/greatest things, I say go for it.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 11:57 AM   #85
wpbarlow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuinnesS
Now more than ever would be the time to buy European, the Dollar is up almost 25% against the Euro since July
Maybe: it's gotten better recently but it's still historically low. I don't think we'll see the old ratios anytime soon; but (at least emotionally) anything less than parity is "down".
wpbarlow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 12:50 PM   #86
priller
-

Oddometer: 2,988
how come this:

Name:  smt%201.jpg
Views: 569
Size:  69.0 KB

belongs in here and this:

belongs to beasts?

priller screwed with this post 11-05-2008 at 12:55 PM
priller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 01:20 PM   #87
Conner
Charlie Ringo

Oddometer: 308
Maybe...

'Cause the Buell has Mud and Snow tires?
Conner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 01:28 PM   #88
priller
-

Oddometer: 2,988
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamerider
'Cause the Buell has Mud and Snow tires?
oh, ok. i thought it was high fender and "crash pads".
priller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 02:15 PM   #89
soundasleeprecording
genuine pleather seating

Oddometer: 515
Quote:
Uhhhhhh, I hate to burst anyone's bubble, but the SD-R & the Adventure-R are the only 2009 models on the USA website. No 990 SM, SMR, or SMT. Not even the RC8, which we know will be here in February (which means March/April). Doesn't mean it won't show, but don't look for it to come to the US before May (if at all).

R1200ST and some expensive bicycles.
soundasleeprecording is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 02:22 PM   #90
lousgoose
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242
bp goofs

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundasleeprecording
Uhhhhhh, I hate to burst anyone's bubble, but the SD-R & the Adventure-R are the only 2009 models on the USA website. No 990 SM, SMR, or SMT. Not even the RC8, which we know will be here in February (which means March/April). Doesn't mean it won't show, but don't look for it to come to the US before May (if at all).
Too eager here, my mistake. Yes, I was on the KTM site, thought I had selected the US as location. Normally, not even the 990 Supermoto appears there so I assumed it was the US site. Sorry.
lousgoose is offline   Reply With Quote