Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-05-2008, 10:07 PM   #91
GuinnesS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 780
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpbarlow
Maybe: it's gotten better recently but it's still historically low. I don't think we'll see the old ratios anytime soon; but (at least emotionally) anything less than parity is "down".
Parity? , there has not been parity for more than six years now, just how long were you planning on waiting? A 25% currency swing in 3 months is not an insignificant improvement in purchasing power. The USD has been worming its way through the 'S' bend for longer than most have wanted to acknowledge, it has only been in the last couple of years that most American consumer even took notice as the price of their favourite toys went up. Likewise, many a European in recent times has suddenly found Harleys to be reasonably priced. Until the Euro showed up, much of the USD strength laid in the fact that it was the preferred harbour currency in town. When third world and emerging economies went tits up their citizens bought dollars. Like it or not, much of that past hope now lays with the Euro as well. It might be a good while yet before we see parity again.

GuinnesS screwed with this post 11-05-2008 at 10:17 PM
GuinnesS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 07:32 AM   #92
wpbarlow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,386
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuinnesS
Parity? , there has not been parity for more than six years now, just how long were you planning on waiting? ....

I haven't been waiting. I've done my part and bought 'em. My comment is re all the other slackers
wpbarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 11:31 AM   #93
vander
full-time dreamer

Oddometer: 915
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesman
Mmm...strange, couple of my colleagues in Barcelona just swear by their Aprillia dealers - in fact they told me in Barcelona region they have 8 bike and 1 scooter only dealers. So is it network or spares delivery problem?

And (really interested, not trolling) - how's KTM doing over there (Spain)? I mean -really, if you need spare part (not consumables) for say 990 Superduke or 990 Adventure, how long it takes? I am truly trying to understand why for Gawd sake KTM is so poorly represented and supplied in Benelux and France for instance comparing to Aprillia?...totally puzzling. I really need them to improve here, so I can get myself 690 nothing against Aprillia thou
Apologies for offtopic.
Aprilia: easy to buy, but then the nightmare begins (or can potentially begin). Too many cases of people waiting weeks and weeks and weeks for pieces (and not strange pieces, I know the case of 5 weeks to recieve a gear-lever of an RSV Mille) . I love the style and power of the Aprilias but would never buy one because of that. I have several friends that have or had them and -they say- will never have one again until something changes.

KTM: spare parts come normal in 3 days from Austria. There are less dealers than Aprilia has, but way better service (although it's not allways the same). People is in general satisfied with the service, as far as I know.
Old 11-06-2008, 01:03 PM   #94
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,203
8200ish in the UK. Too much for me. But I can wait .
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 02:03 PM   #95
EastSideSM
Isn't that dangerous?

Oddometer: 1,490
Smt

Well, if they can make a screen for the new bike, why can't they make one for us poor slobs that actually went out and bought the 06' and 07' SM's? Come on KTM, I dont want to have to put some ugly thing on my bike because you were too lazy to make one for us. It is still as god intended, naked, but as the weather gets colder, I feel the need to add a little protection. We are lke the ugly stepchild when it comes to aftermarket parts for these bikes. Oh well. At least I have a huge grin on my face everytime I swing my leg over my katie.
Old 11-06-2008, 06:15 PM   #96
GuinnesS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 780
This is THE bike that could do a proper bloodbath, culling the herd in my garage. Very easy sell for the Missus Though she knows full well by now that fallow real estate never lasts very long in there.
Old 11-06-2008, 06:40 PM   #97
wpbarlow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,386
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSideSM
Well, if they can make a screen for the new bike, why can't they make one for us ....
Well, if they make the SMT, I suspect the entire fairing/screen setup would fit on the SM. Might not be very inexpensive, but with the KTMTalk discount it wouldn't be too bad (assuming they could get it).

I'd also suspect that you could duplicate the entire bike for <$3k.
wpbarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 08:23 AM   #98
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 5,070
Quote:
Originally Posted by vander
Aprilia: easy to buy, but then the nightmare begins (or can potentially begin). Too many cases of people waiting weeks and weeks and weeks for pieces (and not strange pieces, I know the case of 5 weeks to recieve a gear-lever of an RSV Mille).
The same situation applies here in the USA too. Hopefully, Aprilia's supply chain has gotten better with the influx of Piaggio cash. We shall see.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 10:07 AM   #99
EastSideSM
Isn't that dangerous?

Oddometer: 1,490
Yes, Walter I think you are right. I actually like my bike the way it is, but a nice screen that was meant for it is really the only thing that is missing. I already have the rest of the "Touring Package" with a 37 L topcase and the side bags. and I like the look of the existing headlight so I don't need to duplicate...plus I actually like having a carbed bike.
Old 11-07-2008, 11:11 AM   #100
soundasleeprecording
genuine pleather seating

Oddometer: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpbarlow
Well, if they make the SMT, I suspect the entire fairing/screen setup would fit on the SM. Might not be very inexpensive, but with the KTMTalk discount it wouldn't be too bad (assuming they could get it).

I'd also suspect that you could duplicate the entire bike for <$3k.
Looking closely at the SMT, you would have to buy: The SMT tank & fairing & windshield (they bolt together), the side panels (to go on the new tank), the Superduke front fender, the headlight assembly, and the new instrument pod.
And probably the new seat as well. The gas tank is almost $1400 list price. Ouch. Worth it if you were to keep the SM for another 3-4 years.

R1200ST and some expensive bicycles.
soundasleeprecording is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 11:22 AM   #101
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundasleeprecording
Looking closely at the SMT, you would have to buy: The SMT tank & fairing & windshield (they bolt together), the side panels (to go on the new tank), the Superduke front fender, the headlight assembly, and the new instrument pod.
And probably the new seat as well. The gas tank is almost $1400 list price. Ouch. Worth it if you were to keep the SM for another 3-4 years.
Yes, a lot of eyeball cost estimates being made here which I don't think will prove true. And in any event, if you owned an SM and wanted an SMT, the right way to do it would be to trade which would undoubtedly be cheaper anyway. If you're trying to duplicate something an existing mfg already produces, trading up is almost always cheaper.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 03:45 PM   #102
amaunu
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
Smt is lookin good as alien. well what you get is old sm with some new plastics, smr also has all the same specs what you have in your sm right now.

Bogey I vould say, KTM should have respect its customers in a way that it offer something new instead plastics covered old cake. Makes thing cheap.

If I buy 19 inc front to my ADV, i am equal. I was preparing to purchase new smt but but just new wraparounds not convincing, disappoinment.
amaunu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 05:59 AM   #103
Bikeaddict
Bikeless Due To Recession

Oddometer: 216
Well, thats not actually the case. The SMT has shorter wheelbase, steeper rake angle and shorter suspension front: 160 instead of 200 of the SM and back 180 instead of 210. So, its not a revolution but it should be of some difference

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaunu
Smt is lookin good as alien. well what you get is old sm with some new plastics, smr also has all the same specs what you have in your sm right now.

Bogey I vould say, KTM should have respect its customers in a way that it offer something new instead plastics covered old cake. Makes thing cheap.

If I buy 19 inc front to my ADV, i am equal. I was preparing to purchase new smt but but just new wraparounds not convincing, disappoinment.
Old 11-08-2008, 07:50 AM   #104
lousgoose
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikeaddict
Well, thats not actually the case. The SMT has shorter wheelbase, steeper rake angle and shorter suspension front: 160 instead of 200 of the SM and back 180 instead of 210. So, its not a revolution but it should be of some difference
And to the novice, how exactly might these changes impact the handling and so forth of the bike? Will it make it less of a carver and more of a traveller? Just asking for opinions as far as rake, shorter suspension, and shorter wheelbase go?
lousgoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 08:07 AM   #105
Moronic
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,569
In theory, more of a carver.
Moronic is offline   Reply With Quote