Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-10-2008, 02:46 PM   #121
Garry
Old and In The Way

Oddometer: 1,182
The SM-T slots very nicely into the market niche with the Tiger, Multistrada, and Ulysses. No doubt it's the most sporty, but they're all fine bikes (all were demo'd multiple times and on my short list). I'm riding an SM-R now and wouldn't trade up for an SM-T but I might consider mounting that 19L fuel tank if it would fit...
Garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 04:13 PM   #122
fixinbones
Tarmac Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry
The SM-T slots very nicely into the market niche with the Tiger, Multistrada, and Ulysses. No doubt it's the most sporty, but they're all fine bikes (all were demo'd multiple times and on my short list). I'm riding an SM-R now and wouldn't trade up for an SM-T but I might consider mounting that 19L fuel tank if it would fit...
Garry,
How'd you like the Multistrada? I just sold my GS and need to fill the garage with another bike that I can do short commutes to work with and take my son out 2-up occasionally. I'm really thinking about a Multi but now I here on the Ducati boards that the Multi is definitely going to be replaced in late 2009 for a 2010 model. Supposedly, water cooled and 4v heads!!! I did have a SM-R briefly last year. I loved the ride and handling but I had my heart set on a Megamoto as my fun bike so I traded it for the Megamoto.

The 990SMT looks like a sweet bike that could fill multiple roles, if only they bring it to the USA!!!!!!! I'm not holding my breath as there are tons of 950SM-Rs still on dealers showroom floors. Can't figure it out. Is it that the price point is too high or people just don't get what KTM is all about?
'13 Ducati Diavel AMG #163
'09 KTM 65XC (son's ride)

Gone: '10 Ducati Multistrada 1200S, '11 BMW R1200GS, '10 BMW S1000RR, '08 BMW HP2 Megamoto, '07 KTM 950SMR, '05 BMW R1200GS, '94 BMW R1100R
fixinbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 08:38 PM   #123
Megaman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 138
[quote=fixinbones]

The 990SMT looks like a sweet bike that could fill multiple roles, if only they bring it to the USA!!!!!!!

It's on the US website:

http://www.ktmusa.com/Supermoto.16.0.html.

Cheers,
The Man
Megaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 08:52 PM   #124
lousgoose
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by fixinbones
Garry,
How'd you like the Multistrada? I just sold my GS and need to fill the garage with another bike that I can do short commutes to work with and take my son out 2-up occasionally. I'm really thinking about a Multi but now I here on the Ducati boards that the Multi is definitely going to be replaced in late 2009 for a 2010 model. Supposedly, water cooled and 4v heads!!! I did have a SM-R briefly last year. I loved the ride and handling but I had my heart set on a Megamoto as my fun bike so I traded it for the Megamoto.

The 990SMT looks like a sweet bike that could fill multiple roles, if only they bring it to the USA!!!!!!! I'm not holding my breath as there are tons of 950SM-Rs still on dealers showroom floors. Can't figure it out. Is it that the price point is too high or people just don't get what KTM is all about?
I know this question wasn't directed at me and, obviously Garry can speak to this better than I can - at least in terms of how these various bikes stack up. In the past year I test rode the multi, ulysses, tiger, and 950sm. The 950 was, of course, my absolute favorite; yet, of the other bikes, I liked the Multi best. It was less top heavy than the tiger and felt more solid when sporting around. The Uly was surprisingly good in curves and so on but other factors completely rule it out for me - heat issue being primary. Anyhow, I thought the brakes and suspension on the 1100s multi that I rode were outstanding and it seemed like a really solid and well finished bike. Having said that, I didn't find the seat to be more comfortable than the 950sm, nor did I find the small fairing to be that effective; thus, in my mind it would just pay to buy a 950 and put a screen, luggage, and a new seat on it.

As far as the SMR not being so successful, I think it's a combination of lots of factors. Americans like their bikes to fit into a comfy label (sport, cruiser, tourer) and I don't know how many times folks I was talking with said "yeah, but what does this bike (950sm) do?" as in it's obviously not a bike that fits into any of those categories purely. I always told them, "just ride one".

I don't think that the 990 or fairing changes will necessarily make this a better bike than a regular 950 - in fact, it still sounds like the fi is even still lurching a bit in the 2008 990sm from some of the things I read; however, I do think the changes in the bike will make it a better seller.
lousgoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 09:39 PM   #125
twinrider
pass the catnip

Oddometer: 9,014
Looks like a KTM version of the Tiger 1050 from the side, which in turn was a Triumph version of a Multistrada, which in turn was a Ducati version of a TDM.
2006 Djebel 250XC
twinrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 05:09 AM   #126
Garry
Old and In The Way

I really liked the Multistrada 1000 "S". It was my favorite of the rest of that niche. Sporty handling, fun torquey engine. Ergos weren't quite right for me (legs vs tank cutouts). Needs a new seat (what bike doesn't?). Funky looks but not too bad in black with bags on the back to balance out the bulbous fairing. You could find nicely farkled 1000 "S" models (luggage, termis, ecu, etc) with low miles for under $10K when I was looking (right when the 1100 was coming out).

Then I rode the SM-R and knew what I wanted. A bit sportier and rawer plus the ergos fit me. No regrets.
Old 11-11-2008, 06:36 AM   #127
soundasleeprecording
genuine pleather seating

Oddometer: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megaman

It's on the US website:

http://www.ktmusa.com/Supermoto.16.0.html.

Cheers,
The Man
Nice try, but that link goes to the international page - go to the USA link on the site, only the 950 SMR appears. You won't see the EFI 990 SM (R/T) in the USA - unless sales go through the roof in Europe.

R1200ST and some expensive bicycles.
soundasleeprecording is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 10:28 AM   #128
jmlmjmjm
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 839
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn
I recall KTM has been a no-show for several years now. Are they at this year's CW show?

- Mark
They were at Phoenix. Demo rides and a display inside the "show".

No SMT990 on display.

jmlmjmjm screwed with this post 11-11-2008 at 10:33 AM
jmlmjmjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 10:42 AM   #129
lousgoose
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundasleeprecording
Nice try, but that link goes to the international page - go to the USA link on the site, only the 950 SMR appears. You won't see the EFI 990 SM (R/T) in the USA - unless sales go through the roof in Europe.
I dunno. You're probably right. But just looking at the marketing/publicity info KTM is putting out there on the bike right now, they know they have a different sort of bike with this, or not to offend any current 950 owners, they know they have a bike here they can market in a significantly different sort of way...and the language and literature they are using reflect this. I think they will bring the bike to the States because of this.

Now, if you'll all excuse me, I have to go and sign this land deal in Arizona I've got working. Guy says I'll be able to see the beach from the house. I can't wait.
lousgoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 11:00 AM   #130
Curvesurfer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 373
My initial enthusiasm for this model has waned.

There are already great factory soft bags with a metal mount available for the SM. They appear to offer about the same capacity as the softbags on the SM-T. Windscreen options for the SM aren't great, but exist.

I don't see how this is significantly enough different from an SM with these farkles to get excited about.
'95 900SS SP
Curvesurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 11:08 AM   #131
TTTom
some guy on a bike

Oddometer: 865
I'd take any report of a 4v water cooled MTS with a huge grain of salt. Some guy on multistrada.net may say that they've got the inside scoop but again and again we've seen these supposed leaks turn out to be nothing... for example the "for sure" reports a 2009 MTS replacement with a 19" front tire.
Old 11-11-2008, 12:33 PM   #132
Garry
Old and In The Way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curvesurfer
I don't see how this is significantly enough different from an SM with these farkles to get excited about.
Larger tank and the extra power of the 990 engine plus the other stuff in one package from the factory is nice. This may be the only 990 SM* we get in the USA.
Old 11-11-2008, 12:42 PM   #133
wpbarlow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curvesurfer
...I don't see how this is significantly enough different from an SM with these farkles to get excited about.
I said that 121 posts ago

But it will probably be effective to entice new owners.
wpbarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 01:54 PM   #134
soundasleeprecording
genuine pleather seating

Oddometer: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Garry
Larger tank and the extra power of the 990 engine plus the other stuff in one package from the factory is nice. This may be the only 990 SM* we get in the USA.
The tank is larger than the 950SM we did get here in the US, but the SM & SMT share the same fuel capacity. If the LC8 Supermoto does return to the US, you can bet it will be the Travel version, with probably a very limted run of the one (or both) the SM & SM-R.

It all depends on how well it sells in Europe. Then we get a taste.

Pooooooooossibly.

R1200ST and some expensive bicycles.
soundasleeprecording is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 02:41 PM   #135
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 16,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpbarlow
I said that 121 posts ago

But it will probably be effective to entice new owners.
It's certainly the most popular thread about the bikes shown at Milan.

Make of that what we will, I guess.
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote