Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2014, 12:58 PM   #1
BioChemMotoMachine OP
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Advice: F800r or FZ09

Hello All,

I am thinkng of selling my 2012 F800R and purchasing an FZ09. My F800R has 8000k on it, and I do love it. I test rode the FZ09 in December - loved it also....maybe a little too much.

Lots of my friends are telling me to keep the F800R, and instead throw a slip on exhaust etc., and they also tell me Yamaha doesn't have the quality of BMW, and I'll be sorry in a few years when the Km's start adding up.

You are me......what would you do???

(I use my bike mostly in the city, but some road trips occur <400km per day)
BioChemMotoMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 01:09 PM   #2
joexr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,773
Cool2

Yamaha!
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 03:51 PM   #3
chrisjohn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 110
Seriously? BMW will break waaaaay before a modern Yamaha.
chrisjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 04:36 PM   #4
Rox
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 152
Tough call. The BMW is classier but the Yamaha is just better . I was looking at the BMW and the Ducati Monster when I bought my Street Triple R. When in doubt go with the triple. I'd personally tell you to go Triumph Street Triple but between the 2 the Yamaha. It's cheaper than the Beemer, out handles and is stronger and faster than the Beemer. Even after throwing full Ohlins and an Akro exhaust you'd pay just a few bucks more than the BMW and have a waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better motorcycle.

Just sayin,
Rox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 04:53 PM   #5
elementalg20
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 781
If you didn't already own and like the f800 I would also vote Yamaha. You unlike myself actually rode both and should be able to make the call. My concern is taking a beating on the buy in of the f800. If your using it for touring there are probably more/better farkles for the small beemer.

Gone...1998 Triumph Trophy 1200 2000 KTM Adventure 640, 1994 BMW R1100RS, 2002 BMW K1200RS,1999 VFR800, 1996 VFR750, 1985 Maxim X, 198x 250LTD
elementalg20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 05:47 PM   #6
Kapsel
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Hi, this is my first attempt to make a statement here on advrider.
I was the second owner of F800R 2010 for two years.
On october 2013 I took a 3 hour ride with yamaha mt-09 and I was really impressed with this bike. In many ways the quality of Yamaha exceeds BMW especially in the way how parts are put together. For example in BMW between seat and the tail of the bike were bigger gaps than in yamaha. The plastic parts that are protecting radiator on BMW are mounted in very cheap way. Engine of the f800r looked so small that you felt like it was toy and also the gap between frame and the engine looked litle odd. Later I bought BMW crashbars and I filled this gap and make area around engine optical bigger so it didn't hurt my eyes anymore.
The most annoying thing in look of the BMW were classic forks not like USD in yamaha which is cheaper then BMW.
I wanted to add some rubber protection to make it look more beefy but I couldn't find any on the market.
If I were using bike to ride not far from home to just pop a wheelies all the time I would definetly choose MT-09 /FZ-09. If I would like to ride longer distance then I will keep BMW just because the size of the tank. BMW tank has 2.5 liters more then MT-09 and because yamaha engine consumes more fuel mainly because you don't go over 4800 rpm in BMW (some odd vabration). Yamaha engine loves to rev and that eats fuel fast:) so You will need to stop more often looking for a gas station. However the possition on the MT-09 is more upright and knees ale less bend then on BMW which might suggest it could be used for longer trips but with higher speeds little more forward possition on BMW helps to fight with the wind.

I sold my BMW 2 months ago and for last two weeks I really regret it.
The reason I regret that I sold my BMW is that it was in pristine condition. Since the day I bought it I had to only seel leaking head cover gasket and replace turn/light/horn module. There were no other issue with this bike through 22500 km.
I sold it for 2/3 of a price of new MT-09 and for now I don't see in my walet the rest of 1/3 price for new mt-09. Other reason is that over all I liked the look of F800R very much ( people's head turner) especialy after I bolted lots of plastic parts that doesn't come with basic equiped models.
The best for BMW would be keep the overall look and put nuda900 engine in it and put USD forks.
So If you don't have problems to earn money on mt-09 and You like your F800R I would keep it for at least another year and then in 2015 I would buy yamaha mt-09. The only problem is that after mt-09 occured on the market your f800r will probably loose lots of value. That is why I mention if You don't have problem to save some money to fullfilled the gap in price.
Ther is other reason for not buying now MT-09 and that is there might be another more touring oriented model with MT-09 engine with bigger tank and some half fairing. Another reason is that it is good to wait for any information about how good reliable this new yamaha engine is. Probably on 99% it will be reliable like every yamaha but sometimes shit happens.

I hope I helped You to make a right decision.
I'm sorry for my English which is not as good as it should be...
Good luck with right choice :)
Kapsel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 12:02 PM   #7
Süsser Tod
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 965
Lets see...

The Yamaha has USD cartridge forks whereas the BMW has crappy damper rod conventional forks (how on earth people are willing to pay that much for a bike with suspension that was outdated in the early 90s is beyond me).

The Yamaha has radial monoblock calipers, whereas the BMW has 2 piece axial calipers, they might be Brembo but they are about the cheapest calipers Brembo makes (the cheapest they make are the 2 piston floating clipers found in many other BMWs).

Yamaha has more power and less vibration than the BMW.

Should I go on? Seriously, there is nothing the BMW does better than the Yamaha, save for badgewhore appeal.
Süsser Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 12:07 PM   #8
Süsser Tod
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 965
Quote:
Originally Posted by BioChemMotoMachine View Post
Lots of my friends are telling me to keep the F800R, and instead throw a slip on exhaust etc., and they also tell me Yamaha doesn't have the quality of BMW, and I'll be sorry in a few years when the Km's start adding up.

Yes, Yamaha doesn't have the quality of BMW, you know, BMWs are unstoppable... On their way to the dealership. Look for reliability charts, BMW does quite bad.

http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/news...e-reliability/

So you've got a bike from the less reliable brand and worry about poor reliability from a brand that has a better reliability record? Does not compute, too much coolaid
Süsser Tod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 03:59 PM   #9
ph0rk
Doesn't Care

Oddometer: 2,050
if ABS doesn't matter to you, I'd go with an FZ09 too.
Old 01-13-2014, 06:26 PM   #10
andmoon
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,187
I could have bought any new f800r for less than what fz09s are selling for in my area. I hate purple. I love abs. There is an fz09 with bluple wheels and no abs in my garage. I paid full msrp for it.
Old 01-13-2014, 06:36 PM   #11
Roadscum
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,257
You should have the one that puts the biggest grin on your face. Both are great bikes....

Paul
Old 01-13-2014, 09:15 PM   #12
ph0rk
Doesn't Care

Oddometer: 2,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by andmoon View Post
I could have bought any new f800r for less than what fz09s are selling for in my area. I hate purple. I love abs. There is an fz09 with bluple wheels and no abs in my garage. I paid full msrp for it.
Old 01-14-2014, 03:28 AM   #13
stripple
Runnin' Hard

Oddometer: 599
You know what to do....

If you ride for the FUN of riding, you know that FZ is the bike for you.
Old 01-14-2014, 10:19 AM   #14
Tom-Nor
Wannabe Adventurer

Oddometer: 459
Why are you asking otvers what you should do? You should ask yourself that question.
And yamaha is a quality brand, as most of the motorcycle brands now thes days.
Old 01-14-2014, 12:06 PM   #15
fast4d
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,236
the triple is worlds ahead of the BMW parallel twin

yamaha is definitely the winner here. it is priced low so some things (suspension) may need to be upgraded
2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
2013 KTM SMT 990
fast4d is offline   Reply With Quote