Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-20-2015, 10:03 AM   #1
ilian OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
bmw k100 oil in sight glass not moving ?!

Hi, is this a problem? When the bike is running, the oil in the sight glass is absolutely still. My 1150 gs seems to be moving the oil but not so in the k bike.

Can anyone please check on their k bike and let me know?
ilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 01:08 PM   #2
ilian OP
Adventurer

Anyone?
Can it be the oil pump?
Old 05-20-2015, 09:51 PM   #3
op48no1
Trust, but verify

Oddometer: 1,650
If the bike is running and the engine hasn't seized, and if the oil pressure light isn't on, I honestly don't think you have anything to worry about.

Edit: Let me ask a question. By "not moving," do you mean the oil isn't swirling around, or do you mean the level doesn't go down when the bike starts? I do admit, I expect the oil level to drop when the motor is on, and slowly go up when you shut it down. If the oil level stays the same, that seems kind of odd. I had a K75 a long time ago, but I don't recall how the oil level in the sight glass behaved.

Does the oil pressure light come on when you turn on the ignition, but before the bike starts? If it does, that means the sender and the light are working, and if the light goes off with the motor running, that you have oil pressure.

I'm still thinking you have nothing to worry about, but too little knowledge can be dangerous. Do you have any other reason to suspect an oil pump problem? Anything in the engine behavior or service history?

-Henry

op48no1 screwed with this post 05-20-2015 at 09:56 PM
op48no1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:05 AM   #4
ilian OP
Adventurer

I just finished restoring the bike, it was in running condition but I don't remember if the oil swirled before and after I changed the oil and oil filter, I noticed that it wasn't swirling in the oil sight glass. Also, the level doesn't drop at all when the engine is running.

No oil pressure light problems, it light up before I start the bike and it's off after the bike is started.
Old Yesterday, 02:50 AM   #5
EddyB
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 206
Bike is fine but you sir have a problem... of imagining problems
EddyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 02:54 AM   #6
damurph
Cold Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,935
If you feel that unsure...pull the cylinder head cover. Not a big job. Fire it up and watch the oil lubricate the cams and the floor. Button it back up with confidence.
Old Yesterday, 03:51 AM   #7
curtis6870
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 698
Could the sight glass be fogged &/or covered in a film of old oil? Maybe you cant see the oil.
Old Yesterday, 04:56 AM   #8
ilian OP
Adventurer

An update:

As the police here, in Bulgaria, are still using these bikes (don't ask...) I pulled over (haha) a motorcycle cop and flat out asked him to put his bike on a center stand and start the bike in neutral.

The oil level on his bike slightly dropped and I could see how it was rotating from top to bottom (in the sight glass)

Mine doesn't do this - it stays absolutely still, the glass isn't fogged at all on my bike.

My friend suggested we open the engine and blow compressed air through the oil lines.

What do you guys think?
This is important to me as it's my father's bike and I want to keep it in good order for my son, soon to be a rider himself.
Old Yesterday, 07:01 AM   #9
johnvrt
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Just a thought here. Is your oil level correct when the engine is not running? The level should be visible in the sight glass. If you are way overfilled or way underfilled, you might not see the oil swirling around when running.
johnvrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:54 AM   #10
EddyB
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilian View Post
An update:

My friend suggested we open the engine and blow compressed air through the oil lines.
Oh yes so you are one of those people who mess up motorcycles while trying to catch a ghost
EddyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:39 AM   #11
de Vaca
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
An easier check. Just change the oil, see if the sight glass level disappears, refill, check the level and relax, and enjoy riding. Or just tilt the bike to the side slightly and see if the level in the glass changes.
de Vaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 10:57 AM   #12
ilian OP
Adventurer

The oil level is right in the middle of the sight glass - not overfilled or under-filled. It's the same when both running and when cold and not running. That's actually my problem.

I just changed the oil 2 days ago (right before I noticed this) and the sight glass was empty when there was no oil in the engine (as expected)

When I tilt the bike the level changes accordingly, as it should.

Eddy, I certainly chase something but not a ghost
I will make a video of a friend's k100 (we will test his on Sunday) and post both mine and his side by side for you to see that something's really weird
Old Yesterday, 11:07 AM   #13
Wansfel
50 yrs on 2 wheels

Oddometer: 1,316
Finally got around to checking my '91 K100LT. Cold, sitting on the center stand, several thousand miles on the oil change, the oil level sits right in the center of the bulls eye. Start it up and the level drops close to the bottom of the sight window when running, but I really can't see any swirling oil. Tilt it to the right slightly while running and the oil level comes back up to center.

Hope this helps alleviate concerns.
Old Yesterday, 02:26 PM   #14
ilian OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wansfel View Post
Finally got around to checking my '91 K100LT. Cold, sitting on the center stand, several thousand miles on the oil change, the oil level sits right in the center of the bulls eye. Start it up and the level drops close to the bottom of the sight window when running, but I really can't see any swirling oil. Tilt it to the right slightly while running and the oil level comes back up to center.

Hope this helps alleviate concerns.
Thank you so much for this!

This only confirms my fears - what you describe is exactly what I saw on the cop's bike earlier today.
Fuck, I still got a lot of work to do to make the bike reliable.