Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-25-2012, 07:22 PM   #1501
Jud
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,987
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbreeze View Post
I'm thinking of buying an FJR. My question is - can these things be ridden sedately? Or are they boring if you try to stick to close to the speed limit? I have a disc fused in my back and can't afford a get off...

thanks
Back issues here too,,, L2-L4 fused and over the years the disc at L1 has been quashed and I have spinal stenosis and arthritis from the trama. I don't ride sedately at all but I suppose they well could be. It's no harder to ride a FJR sedately than say a DL650. Matter of fact,, I ride both hard as heck, just in slightly different ways. The FJR gets wheelies, darkies and top end runs. The Dl gets wheelies and playing of dirt.

Live life,,,,, get the FJR. Life is too short to worry about the "What ifs".
Blue Skies Coming
Jud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 03:43 AM   #1502
Jon_PDX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,081
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jud View Post
I think it's around 10:1 so losing 10lbs would be like gaining 1 hp. But, figure the most I'll lose is what,,,, maybe 20lbs or so if I do the exhaust combined with a light battery {already have that}.

Look at it like this, the bike is gonna be nearing 100K miles in another year or so it'll need a freshening up anyway so take the over bore and valve job outta it as it would sort need to be done anyway. Exhaust, programmer, cams and the extra money on a better valve job is really what you are looking at. Emulators aren't much and rebuilding teh Wilbers not all that much either. After spending that sorta money the bike would have a happy, basically new engine that puts out a good bit more than stock and it would run circles around a stocker in the twisties. Might even put down more than a stock C14 and I know it'll handle better as I've rode a C14 and prefer even the stock FJR.

I think that after those mods you would have a bike that is better at the "sport" side of things than the other sport tourers for a cost of say 5K$. Now considering the miles on the bike, I doubt I could sell it for 3K$ so if I wanted to pick up even a used C14 I would have to spend at least 3-4K$ in addition to that 3K$ from selling the bike right? So I'm looking at coming outta pocket for around 6K$ for a used C14 much less a new uber tourer. I'm thinking I would bemuch happier with my modded FJR for the same money or less.

How's that for "justifying" my wants?

Seriously though,,, we'll see. Sometimes I just like day dreaming out loud. I keep scanning the forums for a set of used pipes and a commander so if I could save some pennies there,,,,, I can "justify" spending more elsewhere.

One thing for sure though,,,,,, I do like the FJR and I'm not stretching the bubble gum on that un.
If it's 10:1 then for sure I can see going the upgrade/refresh motor route because there is no way to shed 150-200 lbs off the bike. Especially since you already know the bike. And....when I wrote my reply I totally forgot you were including suspension upgrades in the 3-5K figure......oops. So what you are thinking about doing actually makes more sense than I had realized at first.

I'm the King when it comes to justifying things. Just ask my wife, the Queen .

Jon...
Old 03-26-2012, 10:22 AM   #1503
harfooz
FJR1300 / FLHX

Oddometer: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jud View Post
... But, I've recently been riding the FJR alot lately {commuting} since it seems I'm working all the time {averaging 80hrs a week} and commuting is the only fun I have,,,, I've been making the best of it.
I hear ya about the commute. It's like therapy when I'm putting in the long hours at work these last few weeks.

'fooz
Old 03-26-2012, 11:04 AM   #1504
Roadscum
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,667
Quote:
I'm thinking of buying an FJR. My question is - can these things be ridden sedately? Or are they boring if you try to stick to close to the speed limit? I have a disc fused in my back and can't afford a get off...

thanks

YES, the broad power band and down low torque makes it very easy to ride sedately. Go 4 it!!

Regards, Paul
Old 03-26-2012, 05:36 PM   #1505
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,663
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn View Post

My only caution is that it is a very heavy bike and if you're having back issues and worried about tipovers, a lighter bike might be more suitable. A 650 Strom is also a very comfortable bike that is virtually the match of the FJR except in wind protection and actually has more legroom. And it's an easy 175-lbs lighter. It only makes 63-hp rather than 123-hp, but if you're not going to use a 1300cc motor, why carry it around?

- Mark
That's a good question. My primary use for the bike would be commuting. Rush hour traffic and 36 miles, about 20 of it on the interstate. I'm concerned a 650-700 might not have the power needed. I like the Honda NT700 quite a bit too, just concerned about the engine size.

I talked to the sales dude at the Yamaha dealer. We're about $800 apart. He wants $14800 out the door. I don't want to go over $14000. For now I am just letting it ride. He's got my number. And if he doesn't call, that's ok too.

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 05:42 PM   #1506
DirtDabber
cultural illiterate

Oddometer: 7,589
Quote:
He's got my number. And if he doesn't call, that's ok too.

Just remember he gets paid to wait on you to cave first.

I wonder where that road goes?
DirtDabber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 05:49 PM   #1507
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,268
Quote:
That's a good question. My primary use for the bike would be commuting. Rush hour traffic and 36 miles, about 20 of it on the interstate. I'm concerned a 650-700 might not have the power needed. I like the Honda NT700 quite a bit too, just concerned about the engine size.
You said earlier you were interested in riding a bike sedately. I really don't think you're going to find a 60-hp machine underpowered for just general riding around. Today's commuter makes about the same power of a superbike of a couple decades ago.

Have you looked at the NT700X? That impresses me as a very nice all-around machine if you just want to troll, commute, and have fun. Low seat height, decent weight, cool luggage solution, very non-intimidating.

FJR's certainly commute and are fine everyday machines, but their forte is high-speed, long-distance, reel-in-the-horizon, all-weather, open-road touring. They're pretty much overkill for everything else.

Quote:
I talked to the sales dude at the Yamaha dealer. We're about $800 apart. He wants $14800 out the door. I don't want to go over $14000. For now I am just letting it ride. He's got my number. And if he doesn't call, that's ok too.
My experience is that gaps like this aren't often bridged with a call back. If they were going to do it, they would have. And depending on your sales tax situation, this looks like an awfully aggressive discount, probably less than dealer cost. But good luck, regardless.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 09:27 PM   #1508
Jon_PDX
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I've had three V-Strom 650's and now the FJR1300. I can tell you that the V-Strom had more than enough of HP for commuting and just running around town. Even my DR650 dual sport is just fine in those situations although not nearly as comfortable as the V-Strom or FJR.

Quote:
You said earlier you were interested in riding a bike sedately. I really don't think you're going to find a 60-hp machine underpowered for just general riding around. Today's commuter makes about the same power of a superbike of a couple decades ago.

FJR's certainly commute and are fine everyday machines, but their forte is high-speed, long-distance, reel-in-the-horizon, all-weather, open-road touring. They're pretty much overkill for everything else.
I totally agree Mark. The FJR is a wonderful bike and has been fine for everyday use. The reason I made the switch from my last V-Strom to the FJR was because I have had a long time dream of getting out and seeing the country on a bike. I test rode the BMW R1200RT, a Goldwing, and the FJR1300. All three were very nice bikes but in the end I went with the FJR and also kept my DR650 for those times when a larger bike was not needed.

But if I was not planning on any long distance riding the V-Strom or something similar would be my choice because in town and heavy traffic a lighter weight bike really makes a difference.

Jon...
Old 03-26-2012, 09:59 PM   #1509
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_PDX View Post
But if I was not planning on any long distance riding the V-Strom or something similar would be my choice because in town and heavy traffic a lighter weight bike really makes a difference.
Yep. In my book, higher horsepower is the most overrated feature of a bike and lighter weight the most underrated.

- Mark
Old 03-26-2012, 11:45 PM   #1510
Jon_PDX
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I like the Honda NT700 quite a bit too, just concerned about the engine size.
I had never heard about the NT700 before and just checked out the 2011 version at Honda's site.
http://powersports.honda.com/2011/nt700v.aspx

I know this is an FJR thread but....

That's a nice looking bike! Power to weight ratio should be good and depending on gearing it looks like it would be a fun bike to ride. At 569 lbs ready to ride it's right in the middle of the V-Strom and FJR1300.

This luggage feature caught my attention....
"Large-capacity saddlebags feature a passthrough space between the two sides to facilitate packing longer items and provide additional carrying capacity."

Edit: Just read this review...
http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/117/53...irst-Ride.aspx

And if I ever decide to get ride of the FJR the NT700 will be on my short list.

Jon...

Jon_PDX screwed with this post 03-26-2012 at 11:59 PM
Jon_PDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 12:45 AM   #1511
Jud
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,987
Quote:

Have you looked at the NT700X? That impresses me as a very nice all-around machine if you just want to troll, commute, and have fun. Low seat height, decent weight, cool luggage solution, very non-intimidating.

My experience is that gaps like this aren't often bridged with a call back. If they were going to do it, they would have. And depending on your sales tax situation, this looks like an awfully aggressive discount, probably less than dealer cost. But good luck, regardless.

- Mark

Great post and agree completely.

To tell the truth,,,, look into not only that Honda {that's caught my my wife's eye recently} but also the Tiger 1050 and the roadie version of the Tiger 800. All three of these bikes are alot lighter than the FJR and if you are just doing a 30-50mile commute,,,, would be nearly as comfy. Like the quoted poster, I find the FJR really excels in long days of mixed riding for fun. Not the humdrum monotony of commuting,,,,,,,,,,,, but it sure makes my 40 mile commute less humdrum by gosh!

Unless you are willing to mod the DL650,, I would rule the DL out. I hated mine when I first got it as I was so used to the handling, power and the shaftie's low maintenance. It wasn't untill I added a few inches of travel, ground clerance and alot better handling that I started liking it.
Blue Skies Coming
Jud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 12:02 PM   #1512
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

well, I guess I didn't say enough

at the risk of being to wordy...

I used to own a 1999 Concours C10. I had it for 8 years. During that time, a lot of my riding buddies began to refer to me as "Too Fast". My wife refused to ride with me. I, on the other hand, never considered myself "too fast". I didn't go any faster than most of the other Connie riders I knew.

Time past, the Connie got sold, other bikes came and went, and I began to realize I probably did need to slow down. When I bought the ST1300, I was afraid I may go even faster on it than I did on the Connie - but I found I could ride it pretty sedately, staying somewhat near the speed limit, and still enjoy it. My wife went on a 250 mile ride with me and she enjoyed it.

I totaled the ST last year, and I have had a pretty rough recovery. I am now quite certain that I am not immortal after all. I have aged a lot in the last year.

Now the time has come to ride again, and I want a bike I can commute on, take a long road trip on occasionally, take a passenger occasionally, and ride with my buddies, most of who ride Harleys or metric cruisers. I may even get a metric cruiser myself. This is my short list:

2008 Royal Star Tour Deluxe (new)
2011 FJR (new)
2010 NT700V (new)
2010 Road Star Silverado (new)
2006 Concours (used)
2002 Concours (used)
and there is still an outside chance I may go for the Suzuki GSX1250FA.

I figure the FJR is probably the best bike on this list, but it's also the most expensive, and if I can't take my wife for a ride without her hitting me on the back of the head, as some previous posters have mentioned, then I don't want it.

Travels with Maw Maw
Old 03-27-2012, 12:08 PM   #1513
FiveG
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 148
The Feejer is a great two-up bike.

As for sedate riding, yes, it works fine for that. But, the FJR loves twisties and corners really well, IMHO. On the highway (which I try to avoid), I regularly find that when I glance down, there are in excess of 90 Speedos being metered, even when I didn't intend to blow through the speed limit. The answer to sedatishness is, "Control, grasshopper."

It's a great bike.

"Steve Martin," Godzilla (1985)
FiveG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 12:23 PM   #1514
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Cross-shopping a Royal Star Tour Deluxe and a NT700V? That's a little like cross-shopping a Lincoln Town Car and a Honda Accord. Sounds like you've got some basic decisions to make about what type of bike you want.

You've made an offer on a FJR, so I say go with this. Make the best deal you can and just get on with it. Don't let $800 put you into a Royal Star or NT instead of an FJR. That's truly the tail wagging the dog.

And if you're trying to be safety conscious now, I'd completely rule out any bike without ABS brakes.

- Mark
Old 03-27-2012, 02:56 PM   #1515
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

I was thinking Buick Road Mastter vs Honda Civic

Travels with Maw Maw