Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2009, 05:51 AM   #151
bmwhd
God Bless Texas

Oddometer: 1,476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadscum
I got the recall letter yesterday, about 6 months too late!

Switch failed in Septembe '08 while touring. I was delayed 5 days waiting for a repair by a dealer in CORNELIUS, NC. Switch failed on Friday afternoon, dealer did not have a switch in stock. He was goining to order a switch on Monday with overnight delivery. I called on Tuesday,got an ear full of BS, no swithc yet. Called again on Wed., got more BS. Rented a car to get to the dealer and met with the owner..... much more BS, then he discovered the part was on back order with no projected availability date!!!!. Only after I told him of my need to be home in 4 days because I was low on critical medications did he reluctantly agtee to remove the SW from an '07 leftover AE he had on the floor.

Moral of my story:
Get the recall done ASAP.
Don't tour until the recall has been done.
Avoid the dealer in CORNELIUS, NC
While that dealer certainly had his head up his ass, another moral of the story might also be keep close tabs on fjrforum.com where a simple in-field work around for a failed switch is available

'78 R80/7
'06 FJR1300A

"Gentlemen, gentlemen, be of good cheer, for they are out there and we are in here!" - Robert Culp, attributed by Hugh Hefner as the official slogan of the Playboy Mansion
bmwhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 08:16 AM   #152
Roadscum
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,122
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwhd
While that dealer certainly had his head up his ass, another moral of the story might also be keep close tabs on fjrforum.com where a simple in-field work around for a failed switch is available
You got that right, a lot of good information here!
Roadscum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 04:07 PM   #153
wildbill
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
How does a Honda ST1300 compare to the FJR1300? Anyone who has ridden both please chime in. I have an '07 ST1300 and am considering an '08 FJR1300. It looks like the ST1300 wins hands down for mirrors.

Thanks

2012 Goldwing
wildbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 07:17 PM   #154
Wreckchecker
Ungeneer to broked stuff.

Oddometer: 2,433
I'd rather see where I'm going than where I 've been. Actually, the ST mirrors are at the absolute worst height if you ever split between cars. Errmm, so I've heard. The FJR looks great with or without bags, unlike the ST, and without bags is easy to thread between cars. So I've heard. Sorta. Totally wouldn't know myself...

Seriously, they are both great bikes and the differences are in flavor. My boss has the ST and doesn't like my FJR, while I'm strongly the opposite. You'll like the taste of one more than the other.

You sit "in" an ST more like a Goldwing, while you more ride on a FJR. The ST has the instruments up high and in front of you, while the FJR is more traditional in feel. Again, nothing wrong with either. Both can go a lot faster than you can, both are heavy (within a few pounds, but to me the ST feels heavier and slower turning underway, while FJR feels more top heavy in garage), the issues are known in both. In last year's Iron Butt, I think there were 4 FJRs in the top 11 and one ST, if you're into that world.

You have to try both, plus the Connie and Beemer. One will stand out.
Wreckchecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 11:03 PM   #155
eaglej
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 302
Baby came home tonight

Took only a short hop on it up the road near the dealership. It was 25 degrees out and a bit of ice, but I can already tell that we are going to have a lot of fun together. It is so smooooth. There was an 09 there and the black wheels and trim definitely look sharp, but I am happy with the money I saved.

Now the waiting game- it is pretty early around here.
J
Old 02-13-2009, 12:29 AM   #156
c-zulu
Resident Dirt Burner

Oddometer: 1,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilmedic13
Here's my FJ

I Love this thing. Just waiting for spring to come.

Great pic! If the FJR were a plane I think the B1B is a good comparison.
FJR = sportbike (ST really) that can carry a load.
B1B= fighter jet (bomber really) that can carry a load,a big load.
MOTO GUZZI STELVIO NTX---VICTORY KINGPIN TOUR
c-zulu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 06:40 PM   #157
richarddacat
helmet full of Blues

Oddometer: 3,243
well, jets and rockets would make a good thread wouldn't it....

Old 02-14-2009, 01:58 AM   #158
wanka
Adventurer

Oddometer: 43
Ok, I've posted this question all over and have looked at all types of bikes and I still haven't decided on any one. Cruisers, tourers, dual sport and now I'm asking about the FJR. My last ride was an '04 Wing lost to a deer, now mainly going to be one up and need a bike for everything. I've always liked the FJR but have to ask how is it in the city as a commuter. The specs say 640 lbs. wet so there is some weight. I need opinions good or bad. Was seriously looking at Honda's CBF1000, but it has a chain. Thanks.
wanka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 10:19 AM   #159
bmwhd
God Bless Texas

Oddometer: 1,476
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanka
Ok, I've posted this question all over and have looked at all types of bikes and I still haven't decided on any one. Cruisers, tourers, dual sport and now I'm asking about the FJR. My last ride was an '04 Wing lost to a deer, now mainly going to be one up and need a bike for everything. I've always liked the FJR but have to ask how is it in the city as a commuter. The specs say 640 lbs. wet so there is some weight. I need opinions good or bad. Was seriously looking at Honda's CBF1000, but it has a chain. Thanks.
I commute every day on mine in the city. I think it is excellent in that role too. Since it is the best looking of the ST's without the bags, it's perfect with just a top box or bag on the back.

My feeling is the weight is a total non-issue. Especially coming off a GW

As mentioned before, the one consideration would be the amount of really slow, rough roads you may travel on your commute. The FJR has a long-ish wheel base and the OEM suspension is not ideal for really bad pavement (though upgrades are of course an option) so a mix of slow twisty riding on unimproved roads is not that fun on the FJR.

'78 R80/7
'06 FJR1300A

"Gentlemen, gentlemen, be of good cheer, for they are out there and we are in here!" - Robert Culp, attributed by Hugh Hefner as the official slogan of the Playboy Mansion
bmwhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 10:47 AM   #160
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadscum
Moral of my story:
Get the recall done ASAP.
Don't tour until the recall has been done.
Avoid the dealer in CORNELIUS, NC
And, learn how to bypass the ignition switch in an emergency. The info is all over the net and it's not that difficult. It's something I generally know how to do on all my bikes as ignition switch problems are not that uncommon.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 01:31 PM   #161
OnOff
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,621
Re safety recall

For the 2006+ ignition recalls...
I got my recall notice for the ignition in the mail. Gen 2 has higher output electrical system and they are frying switches which can shut down your bike. My 06 has 24,000 on it and no problems, but I am getting it done. They replace ignition switch and swap out tumblers so you can use your original key. I just saw the switch and it comes with new tumbler and matching keys that will not be used unless you want different keys to your bags. Mamma Yamma did the right thing and is taking care of business. Great bike.
OnOff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 07:00 PM   #162
richarddacat
helmet full of Blues

Oddometer: 3,243
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanka
I commute on my 05 almost daily and at times it becomes tiring in stop'n'go stuff. My R model BMW is easier in the thick stuff BUT, I take the long way home more often on the FJR.
The FJR is my main tourer, my beemers are my play bikes and hot summer bikes.

BTW, if you're use to a GW as a commuter you'll love the FJR.... either way I think you'll love it.
Old 02-14-2009, 09:02 PM   #163
Wreckchecker
Ungeneer to broked stuff.

Oddometer: 2,433
I ride my Feej into the heart of DC nearly every day. If I were an all-day messenger, I'd probably go for something like a 250-400cc dual sport. But for my actual 37 miles each way, I have a radio, have some weather protection, and do just fine.
Wreckchecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 01:19 PM   #164
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,345
I commuted for a year in heavy seattle traffic. I have seven bikes including a dual-sport (DRZ) and a bike that is renowned for being a commuter (Strom), and I quickly gravitated towards taking the FJR every day - weather protection, hard bags, and ABS far outweighed nimbleness in my application and the gas mileage was 40+ even with the traffic.

FJR's are just superb all-around road bikes.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 02:44 PM   #165
erco
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12