User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2009, 12:41 PM   #196
Tslapper
#!

Oddometer: 6,244
are those slipons with a mid pipe?

I run a holeshot full system and was thinking I'd get a deep BIG inline 4 sound out of them but instead I got what sounds like two upright twins running together. I like it and it sounds like nothing else.

Good looking exhaust!
Tslapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 12:52 PM   #197
bmwhd
God Bless Texas

Oddometer: 1,476
Just slip-ons. The sound is not too loud but oh so sweet when you wind it up.

To me it gives the FJR one of those perfect mechanical sounds in the same league as a V-12 Ferrari, a Harley with just a tad more open than stock pipes, or a big block V-8 with glass packs (I'm old).

I still laugh out loud every time I get a chance to dance up through the gears a bit quickly. That's hard to do on the daily commute unless you want to pass everything like it's standing still but I do try.

'78 R80/7
'06 FJR1300A

"Gentlemen, gentlemen, be of good cheer, for they are out there and we are in here!" - Robert Culp, attributed by Hugh Hefner as the official slogan of the Playboy Mansion
bmwhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 01:00 PM   #198
Tslapper
#!

Oddometer: 6,244
I've had my bike referred to as "old mans crotch rocket".

Gotta love it!
Tslapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 01:23 PM   #199
cardingtr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwhd
Just slip-ons. The sound is not too loud but oh so sweet when you wind it up.

To me it gives the FJR one of those perfect mechanical sounds in the same league as a V-12 Ferrari, a Harley with just a tad more open than stock pipes, or a big block V-8 with glass packs (I'm old).

I still laugh out loud every time I get a chance to dance up through the gears a bit quickly. That's hard to do on the daily commute unless you want to pass everything like it's standing still but I do try.

How much did you pay for it? I'm torn between this and Nexus..
cardingtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 02:15 PM   #200
bmwhd
God Bless Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardingtr
How much did you pay for it? I'm torn between this and Nexus..
That's the bad news. Staintune's ain't cheap. I think I paid in the neighborhood of $800. However, given they're all stainless and don't ever need repacking, I think there a heck of a deal. They also hold their value if you ever sell the bike and want to part out the farkles.

'78 R80/7
'06 FJR1300A

"Gentlemen, gentlemen, be of good cheer, for they are out there and we are in here!" - Robert Culp, attributed by Hugh Hefner as the official slogan of the Playboy Mansion
Old 03-30-2009, 03:32 PM   #201
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,363
Quote:
I want what you're smoking. It's a freaking inline-four, just like a Toyota Corolla.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009, 03:33 PM   #202
Tripod
waldeinsamkeit

Oddometer: 1,138
Staintune does make an excellent product. I have one on my KLR sans baffle.

Can you give us some ear running the feej without the end baffles in?

Getting on it in traffic between a bunch of soccer-mom vans would be my choice. Make sure you tape the reactions.
Old 03-30-2009, 04:03 PM   #203
richarddacat
helmet full of Blues

Oddometer: 3,281
many slip-on options out there, I've had Two Bros and the Staintunes on mine. The 2Bros were too loud for me, the Staintunes were about right with the baffles in. Also sold them for what I gave for them. Both were used btw.

I'm back to the stock exhaust but recently had my headers gutted soooooo I'm itching to try some Holeshots http://www.holeshot.com/ or something else.

The stock mufflers also have "cats" in them so my gutting of the headers didn't provide me much, just a little more rumble and some cooling effects.

Beowulf http://www.beowulf-performance-products.com/default.asp is another favorite of mine but overseas shipping is added costs.

Two Bros;
Old 03-30-2009, 10:53 PM   #204
Steve G.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,723
I've got staintunes on one of my other bikes, and I've got an FJR. I agree that Staintunes' build quality and metalurgy is unmatched in motorcycling. I'm sorry, gonna get hate mail here, but I just don't find the sound of an "uncorked" 90 deg crank inline 4 particularly appealing. Kind of like an unmuffled BMW flat twin, Noise for noise sake, you might just as well ride a Harley with slash pipes.
This is the bone stock sound of a Laverda 180/3, stock, bone stock! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ogis0...eature=related

Nice pipes though, look great on your bike, but I like the sound of my stock one better.
Steve
Steve G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 07:24 AM   #205
Wreckchecker
Ungeneer to broked stuff.

Oddometer: 2,472
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn
I want what you're smoking. It's a freaking inline-four, just like a Toyota Corolla.

- Mark
And a Corvette has the same V-8 sound as the one in a taxi, right?
Old 03-31-2009, 07:58 AM   #206
bmwhd
God Bless Texas

Quote:

- Mark
I didn't mean to imply the sound was the same, rather that it makes me feel the same - i.e. it's good

To my tin ears at leat, there is none of the unpleasant noise that you often get with non-OEM pipes (on any type of motor), just pure visceral mechanical joy.

Then again, I like my Airhead's sound when uncorked a bit too so what do I know?

'78 R80/7
'06 FJR1300A

Old 03-31-2009, 08:07 AM   #207
bmwhd
God Bless Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod
Staintune does make an excellent product. I have one on my KLR sans baffle.

Can you give us some ear running the feej without the end baffles in?

Getting on it in traffic between a bunch of soccer-mom vans would be my choice. Make sure you tape the reactions.
If I had a way to do that, I would love to. That's what I love about them. With the baffles in, they're essentially no louder than stock. With them out, they growl just enough to get other drivers attention without pissing them off.

Perhaps one of my buds with a decent camera setup following behind would work? I'll see what I can do.

'78 R80/7
'06 FJR1300A

Old 03-31-2009, 11:33 AM   #208
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,363
Quote:
I didn't mean to imply the sound was the same, rather that it makes me feel the same - i.e. it's good
I was just giving you a hard time comparing a generic inline-four with slip-ons to V12 Ferraris. Each person's perception of what sounds good is very subjective, and high-revving inline-fours sound pretty awful to me, like we're all trying to mimic the sound of a hopped-up Import Nights Cvic with coffee-can exhaust. I'll take a twin or a V4 exhaust melody over any inline-four. One of the nicest sounding engines I ever owed was a ST1100 which just had a glorious V4 baritone and little of the cam whine and gear whir that plagues the newer model. I also think my RC30 with the old-style 180-deg crank is pretty nice-sounding, but that's probably just liking what I ride.

In a touring bike like the FJR, they can't make them too quiet for me.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 04:54 PM   #209
Steve G.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,723
Quote:
I was just giving you a hard time comparing a generic inline-four with slip-ons to V12 Ferraris. Each person's perception of what sounds good is very subjective, and high-revving inline-fours sound pretty awful to me, like we're all trying to mimic the sound of a hopped-up Import Nights Cvic with coffee-can exhaust. I'll take a twin or a V4 exhaust melody over any inline-four. One of the nicest sounding engines I ever owed was a ST1100 which just had a glorious V4 baritone and little of the cam whine and gear whir that plagues the newer model. I also think my RC30 with the old-style 180-deg crank is pretty nice-sounding, but that's probably just liking what I ride.

In a touring bike like the FJR, they can't make them too quiet for me.

- Mark
+1 Totally agree!
Steve
Steve G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 05:35 PM   #210
bmwhd
God Bless Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve G.
+1 Totally agree!
Steve
I must admit I'm the same way, on my LD rides I put the baffles in the 'Tunes. That way it's the same as volume as stock but with a better tone. I just pull them out for the occasional day trip.

'78 R80/7
'06 FJR1300A