Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-30-2012, 05:00 PM   #2101
fred flintstone
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 525
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.E. Coyote View Post
Anybody know what is going on with the fjrforum?
they "upgraded" software. It was gone for a while, up now but very slow.
fred flintstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 04:29 PM   #2102
smoker2
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
Here's my 05 on a recent 4 day trip to NC. I like my FJR, it's in contention for the longest length of ownership, April 2013 will be 3 years, an SV650 currently holds that title. A Penske rear is on the Christmas list this year, after 43K miles and a second OEM shock I'm ready to upgrade. My eye wanders a lot, and with my part-time job I get to ride a lot of other brands, but I'm always happy to get back on her.

smoker2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 05:12 PM   #2103
montybones
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=dtXFThyr764

Hope this isn't anyone here
montybones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 05:27 PM   #2104
brentde3
Should be outside

Oddometer: 546
I've got a bit of a question for the hive brain here.

While looking for a vstrom today, I stumbled upon a brand new 2007 FJR that's been sitting on a showroom floor since late 2006. The sales guy was really cool, and explained that the probable reason of this particular FJR's languishing was its automatic transmission. I had forgotten that Yamaha made an auto FJR (I guess it's not auto, as much as semi-auto), so now I'm looking for opinions about them. Most of you guys in this thread seem to have clutch levers on your bikes, but any info you can pass on would be helpful.

I have a bum left shoulder, so an automatic bike doesn't sound too bad at all. They've kept good care of it for the years they've had it (no gas in the tank, etc etc.). So, are the autos just as dependable as the standards? Still the same great FJR, just sans clutch lever?

Thanks!

IBA# 49512
brentde3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 06:02 PM   #2105
harfooz
FJR1300 / FLHX

Oddometer: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by montybones View Post

That'll buff out.

Maybe not.

But seriously, I hope they weren't hurt. Gotta watch those saddlebags!
Old 12-01-2012, 06:20 PM   #2106
bmwhd
God Bless Texas

Oddometer: 1,476
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred flintstone View Post
That doesn't fix it, it makes it worse. It was really annoying having douchebag service rep types tell me that over and over. It turns out the software only updated ambient pressure every so often, and when you rode aggressively in big mountain terrain it quickly got out of whack very fast. Stalling repeatedly when you'd try to pass or give it some throttle etc. However if you stopped and shut it off sensor would reset and you'd be good to go for another 1000 feet or so. Bike was unrideable where I lived at the time, would ride from 6k ft to 12 k ft often and hard.

About a year later after a lot of back and forth with Yamaha, I got a letter about an updated ECU. Fixed the problem and has not come back.
The whole altitude thing (and the other recalls) are examples of what makes Yam a great company to deal with in my book. They actually respond to customers. That fix really only took six months or so which is remarkable.

Ask the BMW crowd (and I am one too) about oil head hesitation or final drives and you'll truly appreciate the FJR.

'78 R80/7
'06 FJR1300A

"Gentlemen, gentlemen, be of good cheer, for they are out there and we are in here!" - Robert Culp, attributed by Hugh Hefner as the official slogan of the Playboy Mansion
bmwhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 06:23 PM   #2107
harfooz
FJR1300 / FLHX

Oddometer: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoker2 View Post
Here's my 05 on a recent 4 day trip to NC. I like my FJR, it's in contention for the longest length of ownership, April 2013 will be 3 years, an SV650 currently holds that title. A Penske rear is on the Christmas list this year, after 43K miles and a second OEM shock I'm ready to upgrade. My eye wanders a lot, and with my part-time job I get to ride a lot of other brands, but I'm always happy to get back on her.

Even though the Street Glide is getting ridden a lot, I still really enjoy my '05! One twist of the throttle and it makes me realize I'm glad that I've kept it. Mrs. 'Fooz asked me about going for a ride on it again today. (Thought she'd never ask!)

'fooz
Old 12-01-2012, 07:40 PM   #2108
montybones
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentde3 View Post

While looking for a vstrom today, I stumbled upon a brand new 2007 FJR that's been sitting on a showroom floor since late 2006. The sales guy was really cool, and explained that the probable reason of this particular FJR's languishing was its automatic transmission. I had forgotten that Yamaha made an auto FJR (I guess it's not auto, as much as semi-auto), so now I'm looking for opinions about them. Most of you guys in this thread seem to have clutch levers on your bikes, but any info you can pass on would be helpful.

I have a bum left shoulder, so an automatic bike doesn't sound too bad at all. They've kept good care of it for the years they've had it (no gas in the tank, etc etc.). So, are the autos just as dependable as the standards? Still the same great FJR, just sans clutch lever?

Thanks!
I purchase a leftover 2007 back in late 2010.I wasn't looking for the AE and I also was a little hesitant about the whole electronic clutch.I couldn't pass up the deal they offered and bought it anyway... haven't regretted a minute of it and love my FJR. Try to have the dealer throw in a set of tires ,mine were dried and cracking
montybones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 09:49 PM   #2109
ObiJohn
Screaming Banshee

Oddometer: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentde3 View Post

Thanks!
I have a new '09 AE that I bought back in June. I've had nothing but great times on the bike. IMO the auto clutch is the best part of the bike. Don't have to worry about starting it, giving it too much gas, losing balance and having a hand slip off the clutch, etc. I've been riding for a couple of years but this is by far the most powerful motorcycle I've ever owned, and it is also the tallest (and I'm not the tallest... at 5'6").

The only difference between this bike, at speed, and the regular A model, is that you can't pull in the clutch to coast after passing... and the FJR is a VERY fast bike. It's nothing to pass on a 2-lane highway, starting out at 60 mph or so and by the time I've gotten around the car I'm passing and have pulled back into my lane I'm hitting 90 or so, and when you chop the throttle it's like throwing out a parachute... you really decelerate. Not a big deal to just ease back on the throttle and let the bike slow itself. Other than that, it's nice to be able to grab a handful of throttle when accelerating and just blip the shifter with your left thumb.

At slow speed, the bike handles very well and the auto clutch isn't a big deal. You quickly learn to use 2nd for slow-speed maneuvering, and to drag the rear brake to 'feather' the clutch.

For the '07 AE model, look into getting the '08 and later throttle tube w/cam that makes getting on and off the throttle much less abrupt. Also, ensure all of the factory recalls are done before taking delivery of the motorcycle; on my '09 I found they hadn't done the ground spider recall and make them install the mod before I left the shop.

I plan to keep my new '09 for several years... until Yamaha brings a batch of the GenIII AS/AE models into the US.
Old 12-02-2012, 01:35 AM   #2110
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,361
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObiJohn View Post
The only difference between this bike, at speed, and the regular A model, is that you can't pull in the clutch to coast after passing... and the FJR is a VERY fast bike. It's nothing to pass on a 2-lane highway, starting out at 60 mph or so and by the time I've gotten around the car I'm passing and have pulled back into my lane I'm hitting 90 or so, and when you chop the throttle it's like throwing out a parachute... you really decelerate. Not a big deal to just ease back on the throttle and let the bike slow itself.
Why is pulling the clutch and coasting preferable to simply not chopping the throttle so much?

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 05:32 AM   #2111
fred flintstone
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 525
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwhd View Post
The whole altitude thing (and the other recalls) are examples of what makes Yam a great company to deal with in my book. They actually respond to customers. That fix really only took six months or so which is remarkable.

Ask the BMW crowd (and I am one too) about oil head hesitation or final drives and you'll truly appreciate the FJR.
Clearly you aren't riding your BMW aggressively enough :) Mine runs just fine.
fred flintstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 12:10 PM   #2112
DAKEZ
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,696
embed [burp]

Old 12-02-2012, 12:12 PM   #2113
nevermind
sLOW Rider

Oddometer: 2,938
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
I think he was going 205 MPH too!
nevermind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 12:37 PM   #2114
1greenmachine
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 682
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoker2 View Post

So comeing from a sv how big of a jump was it, i love my sv650 but it sucks for 2-up and an fjr is kinda the direction i'd like to go. I know its alot bigger size and weight but once moving is it that noticable, and how tippy is it in low speed manuevering?
1greenmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 02:11 PM   #2115
bungie4
Frostback

Oddometer: 465
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1greenmachine View Post
So comeing from a sv how big of a jump was it, i love my sv650 but it sucks for 2-up and an fjr is kinda the direction i'd like to go. I know its alot bigger size and weight but once moving is it that noticable, and how tippy is it in low speed manuevering?
The FJR masks its weight exceptionally well. Anything above a walking speed and the weight disappears. It's probably the easiest bike I've ever owned to ride slow. But make no mistake, if you tip it over a little to far and think your just gonna dab a foot to save it; Well, enjoy your new knee!

2013 FJR1300, 2004 FJR1300, 2013 CRF250L
I have a job, I explore, I follow every little whiff.
On/Offroad help when you need it - http://www.assistancelist.com
bungie4 is offline   Reply With Quote