Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2013, 12:14 PM   #2401
doc4216
Chronic High Fiver

Oddometer: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmac57 View Post
It would seem that replacing OE adjustable levers with aftermarket adjustable levers is just an exercise in spending or cosmetics, but...

I got Pazzos for a bike that had non-adjustable levers, because the reach to the clutch made my (small) hands right sore, especially in traffic. The fact that they look good wasn't important. Job done there. I put them on the Buell, strictly out of cosmetics. The OE levers were silver and cheap-looking, so I went with black. On the FJR, what my aim was is to get a lever with more "dogleg" for more leverage (clutch), and slightly shorter reach than the OE levers provide. I think they'll do fine. A side benefit is that the lever is thicker top to bottom, which I find more comfortable; less feeling of cutting into my fingers.

Some folks like the "shorty" levers; I'll have to leave it to them to opine on those. In case you think that big hands would be disadvantaged, this isn't so; in fact you can increase the reach as well, if you have big paws, while gaining the leverage and the beefier lever.

The nice thing about these is that the price of admission is pretty modest. HTH!
I have smaller hands also, being I'm a girl, and this is the one thing so far that I am not a fan of. It just seems that the levers are so hard to pull. Isn't there a set called EZ-pull or something like that?

Also, do these come closer than the original adjustable ones? I have them on the smallest (distance wise) setting and they still seem far.

Thanks
Old 05-03-2013, 12:22 PM   #2402
dmac57
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,816
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc4216 View Post
I have smaller hands also, being I'm a girl, and this is the one thing so far that I am not a fan of. It just seems that the levers are so hard to pull. Isn't there a set called EZ-pull or something like that?

Also, do these come closer than the original adjustable ones? I have them on the smallest (distance wise) setting and they still seem far.
Don't know about EZ-pulls. My guess (haven't had a chance to ride with the new ones yet, just sat on it) is that it's as if you have 1.5-2 more "clicks" closer. I can tell that the leverage is better though. I had read that on the 2006 & 2007 models, you have to be cautious to not get the lever too close, due to the throw not being enough to get full clutch disengagement, so I'll watch that.
dmac57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 06:53 PM   #2403
richarddacat
helmet full of Blues

Oddometer: 3,268
Quote:

Thanks
Yes, they adjust closer than the stock levers but be aware of the condition dmac57 mentioned. Mine is an 05 and I haven't noticed it.

I bought mine in the Galaxy Blue color with black adjusters.
Old 05-03-2013, 07:18 PM   #2404
doc4216
Chronic High Fiver

Got my seal-mate today, cleaning the seals tomorrow. One silly question...how the heck do I get the dust seals up?
Old 05-04-2013, 10:23 AM   #2405
doc4216
Chronic High Fiver

nevermind....job is done
Old 05-05-2013, 08:46 AM   #2406
BanjoBoy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 876
Quote:

Thanks
Not sure wut vintage yer FJR is, but there are sum "work arounds" ta make shit mor comfortable for ya.
I have an '07, and even though I have strong manly hands, on long 10-14 hr gnarly rides (With as little slab'in as possible ) my hands get tired.
I put a master clutch cylinder from an '05 on mah bike, (Easier pull, butt longer throw) SS brake 'n clutch lines, and PSR levers.
I've also learned ta use the rear brake mor, so that helps mah brake hand on them long rides.
Sit on yer bike how you normally ride, and make sure the levers are in line with yer arms; you don't want them ta be rotated on the bars too far up or down, and that'll give yer hands the most leverage.

Good luck shawty.

Old 05-05-2013, 09:00 AM   #2407
doc4216
Chronic High Fiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanjoBoy View Post
Not sure wut vintage yer FJR is, but there are sum "work arounds" ta make shit mor comfortable for ya.
I have an '07, and even though I have strong manly hands, on long 10-14 hr gnarly rides (With as little slab'in as possible ) my hands get tired.
I put a master clutch cylinder from an '05 on mah bike, (Easier pull, butt longer throw) SS brake 'n clutch lines, and PSR levers.
I've also learned ta use the rear brake mor, so that helps mah brake hand on them long rides.
Sit on yer bike how you normally ride, and make sure the levers are in line with yer arms; you don't want them ta be rotated on the bars too far up or down, and that'll give yer hands the most leverage.

Good luck shawty.

Thanks Banjoboy! I hadn't even thought about the angle of them yet (even though I change them on my previous bikes). LOL...I appreciate the suggestions!

Ride safe
Old 05-05-2013, 09:01 PM   #2408
dmac57
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,816
Quote:
Originally Posted by BanjoBoy View Post
Good luck shawty.
dmac57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 02:00 AM   #2409
lapi
STRider..ADVWannaBe

Oddometer: 29
Quote:
nevermind....job is done
34,000 and leaky seals. Love to hear how you got plastic guards up, cleaned the forks.

I have the sealmate. Thanks
lapi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 06:25 PM   #2410
WAH III
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
The rock guards do not need to be removed. Mine had leaked a drop or two on the garage floor a couple of different times and I was concerned as to how much oil I had lost. Measured the old oil when I poured it out and the leaking leg had about one half ounce less than the other leg. The Yamaha shop manager instructed me to put 22.3 ounces of 5w fork oil in each leg.
Old 05-06-2013, 06:27 PM   #2411
doc4216
Chronic High Fiver

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapi View Post
34,000 and leaky seals. Love to hear how you got plastic guards up, cleaned the forks.

I have the sealmate. Thanks
Glad you got it taken care of by yourself today! Well done!
Old 05-06-2013, 06:31 PM   #2412
richarddacat
helmet full of Blues

At 55K mine has never leaked and these have been hugging my forks since 13K - http://www.sealsavers.com/ with the rock guards removed.

I also just did a Traxxion upgrade and that included new seals but they were just fine when I shipped them off.

Kudos to sealsavers.
Old 05-07-2013, 09:53 AM   #2413
clocklaw
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,915
Quote:
Originally Posted by richarddacat View Post
Kudos to sealsavers.
What Size?
clocklaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 06:40 PM   #2414
richarddacat
helmet full of Blues

Quote:
Originally Posted by clocklaw View Post
What Size?

I got the slide on short seal savers and our fork diameter is 48mm. They are high enough to go above the fairing edge.

http://www.sealsavers.com/shop/short-sealsavers/
Old 05-08-2013, 08:37 AM   #2415
clocklaw
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,915
Quote:
Originally Posted by richarddacat View Post
I got the slide on short seal savers and our fork diameter is 48mm. They are high enough to go above the fairing edge.

http://www.sealsavers.com/shop/short-sealsavers/
thanks RTC, the largest size they indicate are 1 3/4 (inches??) which would be 44.5mm.
clocklaw is offline   Reply With Quote