ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-27-2013, 08:04 AM   #2701
Chivvalry
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Chivvalry's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2010
Location: Cranberry Twp, PA
Oddometer: 495
I think the reason this thread is slow on here is that there is actually two very active forums already that are dedicated to the FJR...

If you aren't aware of them then google "fjr forum" and "fjr riders" and you should be able to find them pretty quickly.
__________________
You are not paranoid if They are actually out to get you, however, They probably are not and you probably are.
USAF - '86-'99
2008 FJR1300
2011 WR250R
Chivvalry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 11:07 AM   #2702
jules083
Beastly Adventurer
 
jules083's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Richmond, Ohio
Oddometer: 2,502
Quote:
Originally Posted by bungie4 View Post
Jules, not much you can do about the cupping after the fact. Keeping the front inflated to about 40-42lbs in front and 39-41lbs rear will help the long term wear of your replacements tires a great deal.

Did I see your in Ohio? Lots of FJR riders there and we meet up in the Marietta area at least once a year. Come on out next time.
A long 2-up highway ride is what seemed to start the cupping for me. 600ish miles straight through with about 350lbs total weight on the bike.

I am in Ohio, never knew about the Marietta meet. I'll look it up for next year, thanks.





Quote:
Originally Posted by Chivvalry View Post
I think the reason this thread is slow on here is that there is actually two very active forums already that are dedicated to the FJR...

If you aren't aware of them then google "fjr forum" and "fjr riders" and you should be able to find them pretty quickly.
Good point. I've been on both sites but haven't spent a lot of time on either

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
jules083 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 11:48 AM   #2703
pit0rz
Off on a bimble...
 
pit0rz's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Rotterdam, NY
Oddometer: 701
Quote:
Originally Posted by jules083 View Post
A long 2-up highway ride is what seemed to start the cupping for me. 600ish miles straight through with about 350lbs total weight on the bike.
It's been my experience that this is a result of low tire pressure. Long stretches of highway / loaded up builds lots of heat.
__________________
Steve P.
Upstate NY

take the long way home
pit0rz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 07:35 AM   #2704
mxboy96
Adventurer
 
mxboy96's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Norfolk, NE
Oddometer: 65
So true

[QUOTE=jules083;22424498]Ummmm.....

My PR2's are wearing weird. The front is cupping pretty good, it is smooth going straight but I can feel it as soon as I start to lean. I'll likely stick with them though. The mileage and grip has been good, I'm probably around 6000 miles so far. Guessing 8-9k before they're shot.


I think one of the reasons this thread is so slow is the bikes are that good. The rest of the bike threads seem to talk about farkles and problems. The fjr doesn't need many mods no matter what you want to do with it, and there seem to be very few problems. From stock just pick your favorite seat, add a windshield, some luggage, and youre basically ready to do whatever you want.

I like your thinking my friend. Good to see a hardcore female rider out there;) There's not enough of them. The FJR is a pretty bulletproof bike. After all it does have the 'tuning forks' on it;) I'm a Yamaha technician so I always find problems with bikes, it's my job, lol. But I still love my '05 to pieces and would trust her across the country if I had to.
__________________
Tanman
mxboy96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 08:29 AM   #2705
jules083
Beastly Adventurer
 
jules083's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2011
Location: Richmond, Ohio
Oddometer: 2,502
[QUOTE=mxboy96;22432326]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jules083 View Post
I like your thinking my friend. Good to see a hardcore female rider out there;) There's not enough of them. The FJR is a pretty bulletproof bike. After all it does have the 'tuning forks' on it;) I'm a Yamaha technician so I always find problems with bikes, it's my job, lol. But I still love my '05 to pieces and would trust her across the country if I had to.
Should have mentioned this in the pic, but that's my girlfriend. I'm a guy. Note the 2 helmets.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2
jules083 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 08:02 PM   #2706
xcsp
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: WI
Oddometer: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxboy96 View Post
We need to get some conversation goin here guys, haha. Have any of you guys ran Royal Purple through your engine or gearbox? I tried it in my automotive applications, but not in my bike yet. I'm going to try a full synthetic in the engine in hopes it will help with shifting 'issues'. Mine 'clunks' into gear pretty good from neutral. Neutral is impossible to hit sometimes aside from just hitting the next gear, and under a load it just doesn't feel crisp like a sportbike normally does.
On my '03, it will "clunk" when put into gear from neutral also, but seems to be better if you hold the clutch lever in for a bit prior to shifting into gear. Otherwise, shifts fine, using Amsoil 10w40 motorcycle-spec. oil
xcsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 11:13 AM   #2707
dmac57
Beastly Adventurer
 
dmac57's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: Western NC
Oddometer: 2,576
[QUOTE=jules083;22432625]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxboy96 View Post

Should have mentioned this in the pic, but that's my girlfriend. I'm a guy. Note the 2 helmets.
Yeah, I didn't miss that...

Buncha reprobates...
__________________
"Everybody's got to believe in something.
I believe I'll have another beer."
- W. C. Fields
dmac57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 02:35 PM   #2708
clocklaw
Beastly Adventurer
 
clocklaw's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Columbia, TN
Oddometer: 1,743
Quote:
Originally Posted by jules083 View Post
Should have mentioned this in the pic, but that's my girlfriend. I'm a guy. Note the 2 helmets.
I saw the two helmets, but I figured you had the dude riding bitch
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
I dunno who she is, but I'd pay a dollar to watch her eat a jar of mayonnaise.
2005 FJR1300 - "my Blue Angel"
My Twins are Twins!
1992 TDM850 - "Ginger" & 1993 TDM850 - "Raven"
clocklaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 10:40 AM   #2709
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!
 
Maggot12's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Barrie Ont
Oddometer: 2,865
Question guys... Can US sold Gen I or Gen II bikes show numbers in metric such as celius or the odometer in kms?

Thanks
__________________
Maggot

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 01:22 PM   #2710
clocklaw
Beastly Adventurer
 
clocklaw's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2011
Location: Columbia, TN
Oddometer: 1,743
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggot12 View Post
Question guys... Can US sold Gen I or Gen II bikes show numbers in metric such as celius or the odometer in kms?

Thanks
US first gen bike doesn't have an air temp gauge, but it can change to KM on the odometer.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bender View Post
I dunno who she is, but I'd pay a dollar to watch her eat a jar of mayonnaise.
2005 FJR1300 - "my Blue Angel"
My Twins are Twins!
1992 TDM850 - "Ginger" & 1993 TDM850 - "Raven"
clocklaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2013, 10:30 AM   #2711
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!
 
Maggot12's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Barrie Ont
Oddometer: 2,865
Quote:
Originally Posted by clocklaw View Post
US first gen bike doesn't have an air temp gauge, but it can change to KM on the odometer.
Thanks...
__________________
Maggot

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2013, 08:16 PM   #2712
hollywoodgt
Adventurer
 
hollywoodgt's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2013
Oddometer: 13
Just bought a 2010 with 1250 miles on it about a month and a half ago.Already started to farkle the FJR out: Zumo, Mondo lights w/mirror brackets, Aux Plug, Sargent seat, Phone Cradle and a throttle lock and a palm rest
hollywoodgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 06:58 PM   #2713
LKLD
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2012
Location: FLA
Oddometer: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodgt View Post
Just bought a 2010 with 1250 miles on it about a month and a half ago.Already started to farkle the FJR out: Zumo, Mondo lights w/mirror brackets, Aux Plug, Sargent seat, Phone Cradle and a throttle lock and a palm rest
Congratulations and welcome!
__________________
Being alive, is not living.
LKLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 07:09 PM   #2714
richarddacat
helmet full of Blues
 
richarddacat's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Mid-TN
Oddometer: 3,113
Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywoodgt View Post
Just bought a 2010 with 1250 miles on it about a month and a half ago.Already started to farkle the FJR out: Zumo, Mondo lights w/mirror brackets, Aux Plug, Sargent seat, Phone Cradle and a throttle lock and a palm rest
Well, where are the pics?
__________________
* 05FJR/88K75c *
Middle Tennessee Tag Riders
Never run out of traction, real estate, and ideas at the same time.
IF Eric Clapton was God, Joe Bonamassa would be his Son.
richarddacat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2013, 07:37 PM   #2715
justdirtyfun
Gnarly Adventurer
 
justdirtyfun's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Alton,IL
Oddometer: 280
Advice

Can anyone suggest a simple cheap way to get a trickle charge connection on fjr? I would like to someday get the powerlet at passenger peg set up. For now just sae to maintain during slow season.
justdirtyfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:29 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014