Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-09-2009, 08:27 PM   #526
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,306
Quote:
Originally Posted by double_entendre
Very clean and easy to install.
Your definition of "easy to install" and mine are significantly different.

http://www.fjr1300.info/howto/audiovox.html

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 11:45 PM   #527
double_entendre
Ticking away the....

Oddometer: 4,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_Ces
Are they BMW grips? They look familiar...
Ron
Yup, sure are. Work very nicely on the bike. Only real complaint I have is wtih the grip heaters underneath 'em. If I'd been smarter I'd have put some kind of insulation between the bar and the grip heater on the left side. The right side throttle tube works like a champ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn

Welllllllll. I'm not saying that I didn't run into any problems, but that my problems were of my own making. If I were to tackle it again, it'd be a snap. The first time is always the hardest and all that. Smitty, who frequented the FJR Forum and is now here, I think, since he bought his KTM, has done a ton of installs.

Seems to me that the only really persnickety part is drilling the throttle tang. If you use a new drill bit and a lot of care, it's not that hard. And it's all downhill from there. Note that some of the instructions on that page have been superseded by tips on the FJR Forum. For example, instead of tapping into the coil, you can tap into one of the wires at the ECU--much easier if you're at all handy with a soldering gun.

YMMV, of course. It's like a valve adjustment on the FJR. Some folks would prefer to leave it to the dealer, some folks will tackle it on their own. I wasn't thrilled about yanking the cams to do a valve adjust and had a couple "whoopsie" lessons, but I'll know for next time--in 24,000 miles. I loooooooooooove shim under bucket adjusters.

Rancho
Old 12-10-2009, 06:09 AM   #528
Wreckchecker
Ungeneer to broked stuff.

Oddometer: 2,310
Quote:

- Mark
What's nice for those who don't have the time or talent is that this is a viable alternative and could be installed by most any shop.

I've got a can of spray paint that could make that controller look like a stock item real fast!
Old 12-10-2009, 09:01 AM   #529
double_entendre
Ticking away the....

Oddometer: 4,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wreckchecker
What's nice for those who don't have the time or talent is that this is a viable alternative and could be installed by most any shop.

I've got a can of spray paint that could make that controller look like a stock item real fast!
I've thought about getting out a rattle can, but then I'd lose the text labels. That's the only thing stopping me.

Rancho
Old 12-10-2009, 02:21 PM   #530
SlowRoll
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,351

Here's the MC Cruise on mine. The PO had installed it. Very kind of him.
SlowRoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 05:58 PM   #531
bmwhd
God Bless Texas

Oddometer: 1,476
Quote:

- Mark
It's really no big deal. Took me less than 3 hours and has worked like a champ. I have my control pad in a Skyway mount on the left bar that looks damn near factory.

'78 R80/7
'06 FJR1300A

"Gentlemen, gentlemen, be of good cheer, for they are out there and we are in here!" - Robert Culp, attributed by Hugh Hefner as the official slogan of the Playboy Mansion
bmwhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 10:02 PM   #532
Jagermeister
Funky White Boy

Oddometer: 128
New Guy

I'm new here; been around the FJR sites for a couple years.
Mine is an 08 with 31k miles & too many farkles to count (probably 20-ish).

Here's my precious on the Cherohala in Oct:

N. GA, same trip:

DR650 & XT-250

Always take the long route!
Jagermeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 06:45 AM   #533
richarddacat
helmet full of Blues

Oddometer: 3,177
Love the black and the black cans are a cool addy
BONA-WHO ??
richarddacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 09:50 AM   #534
Jagermeister
Funky White Boy

Oddometer: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by richarddacat
Love the black and the black cans are a cool addy
Sadly, the Black cans didn't last; they were too loud for Mrs. Jager.

It's kinda funny - She'll happily hang on while we rip up the side of a mountain, dragging hard parts at full lean in the outside lane, as we pass slower bikes. Just don't make it a noisy affair!

Back to stock canister stealth-mode, now.

DR650 & XT-250

Always take the long route!
Jagermeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 02:12 PM   #535
Black Beauty
Bejuma

Oddometer: 4
Installing GSG-Moto Framesliders help, please

I finally opened the delivered package with the GSG-Moto Framesliders for my new FJR 1300 2009 to find out that installation instructions were very limited and in German. I am trying to get some help/technical tips on how to install these sliders. I know at least where each goes, due to the pictures they sent, but that was about all I got. I am looking specifically the following, but no limited:

1) Order of installation, steps to follow, order of steps if applicable.
2) Torque required (very important).
3) Can I just park my bike on the center stand?, or I need anything else ?
4) Tools required or recommended and/or anything else I need to know

I would appreciate any tips. Thank you to all.

Link of the sliders:

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/2732/532

First, I would like to thank all of you who provided tips and comments. I think I was reading too much into this slider installation.
After, reading several sources of information on this topic, I just got my new torque wrench, put some music on in my garage, got the engine mount screws out (started on the right side of the bike). Put the new slider in using a torque of 33 lb/ft. All sources I found call for 35 lb/ft, but as this was my first time using this type of tool, I figured a 33 lb/ft torque will be just fine and safe to the frame. I was amazed how easy was to get the screws out, I doubt they have a 35 lb/ft torque to begin with. I am planning to go for few miles and check again and later actually put the 35 lb/ft call for. I followed the same procedures on the left side of the bike with the longer screw that came with the package.
Simple installations, maybe 5 minutes per side, they look great. I am very proud of my first after market gadget installation on for my new toy.
Thanks again.
Black Beauty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 03:11 PM   #536
richarddacat
helmet full of Blues

I tried Two Brothers and Staintunes before I found happiness with Dale Walker HoleShots.
Just finished mounting new Dunlops on my freshly powder-coated wheels. I also grease the rear shaft, had the shock rebuilt, changed the fork oil, mounted a Stebel horn and FZ1 mirrors plus a few other minor details.

Personalizing my ride(s) is what I like to do love this bike!
BONA-WHO ??
Old 12-13-2009, 08:11 AM   #537
Wreckchecker
Ungeneer to broked stuff.

Oddometer: 2,310
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Beauty

I finally opened the delivered package with the GSG-Moto Framesliders for my new FJR 1300 2009 to find out that installation instructions were very limited and in German. I am trying to get some help/technical tips on how to install these sliders. I know at least where each goes, due to the pictures they sent, but that was about all I got. I am looking specifically the following, but no limited:

1) Order of installation, steps to follow, order of steps if applicable.
2) Torque required (very important).
3) Can I just park my bike on the center stand?, or I need anything else ?
4) Tools required or recommended and/or anything else I need to know

I would appreciate any tips. Thank you to all.

Link of the sliders:

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/2732/532

First, I would like to thank all of you who provided tips and comments. I think I was reading too much into this slider installation.
After, reading several sources of information on this topic, I just got my new torque wrench, put some music on in my garage, got the engine mount screws out (started on the right side of the bike). Put the new slider in using a torque of 33 lb/ft. All sources I found call for 35 lb/ft, but as this was my first time using this type of tool, I figured a 33 lb/ft torque will be just fine and safe to the frame. I was amazed how easy was to get the screws out, I doubt they have a 35 lb/ft torque to begin with. I am planning to go for few miles and check again and later actually put the 35 lb/ft call for. I followed the same procedures on the left side of the bike with the longer screw that came with the package.
Simple installations, maybe 5 minutes per side, they look great. I am very proud of my first after market gadget installation on for my new toy.
Thanks again.
Copy the following into Google:
site:fjrforum.com gsg sliders
Old 12-14-2009, 10:19 AM   #538
BikerGeek99
Horizon Chaser

Oddometer: 1,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagermeister
I'm new here; been around the FJR sites for a couple years.
Hiya, Jaeger! Welcome!

- '09 FLHTCU
- '04 FJR1300
BikerGeek99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 10:29 AM   #539
JimNtexas
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 283
Question MCL Riser Block for FJR?

Does anyone have experience with Motorcycle Larry's riser block?

On paper it looks like as good or better riser solution than Helibars. I've been happy with the two other MCL products I've purchased (risers for a Ninja 250 and FJR frame sliders).

If you have this riser block, were there any particular issues with installation and/or operation?

I'd ask on the Fjr Forum, but discussion of MCL products is discouraged on their forum. That was before my time and I don't know anything about that except that the problem seems to have been one of netiquette, not the products themselves.
JimNtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 12:25 PM   #540
richarddacat
helmet full of Blues

Most of them are about the same, these are different - http://fjr1300risers.homestead.com/ and is what I have.
I also added another set of risers on top of these to raise the bars higher. My setup is perfect for me and the hoses are not stretch beyond being damaging or unsafe.
They are simple to install.

Might look here - http://fjriders.com/forum/index.php and http://www.fjr1300.info/index.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimNtexas
Does anyone have experience with Motorcycle Larry's riser block?

On paper it looks like as good or better riser solution than Helibars. I've been happy with the two other MCL products I've purchased (risers for a Ninja 250 and FJR frame sliders).

If you have this riser block, were there any particular issues with installation and/or operation?

I'd ask on the Fjr Forum, but discussion of MCL products is discouraged on their forum. That was before my time and I don't know anything about that except that the problem seems to have been one of netiquette, not the products themselves.
BONA-WHO ??