Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-31-2010, 05:19 PM   #556
richarddacat
helmet full of Blues

Oddometer: 3,202
About time this thread got bumped. Love the pics, and love the state of WY, beautiful.

a lake in TN
BONA-WHO ??
richarddacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 05:27 PM   #557
DiasDePlaya
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 625
Lucky you guys that are happy with your FJR. Mine again have problems with the ignition switch, second time. Now waiting for the Yamaha truck, at least they give me a good service picking the bike from my garage to repair it.

"Ya veras como quieren en Chile al amigo cuando es forastero"
Traditional song
DiasDePlaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 05:32 PM   #558
richarddacat
helmet full of Blues

Oddometer: 3,202
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiasDePlaya
Lucky you guys that are happy with your FJR. Mine again have problems with the ignition switch, second time. Now waiting for the Yamaha truck, at least they give me a good service picking the bike from my garage to repair it.
Good luck the second time around.

My 05 hasn't had any problems.
BONA-WHO ??
richarddacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 06:57 PM   #559
wannabe1
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 555
Cigar Mike, I bet you and I are some of the very on ADV members that have FJRs and an XT225! Talk about power extremes!
wannabe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 08:07 PM   #560
Wreckchecker
Ungeneer to broked stuff.

Oddometer: 2,341
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiasDePlaya
They had a recall on the switches and the contacts of the redesigned switches are bigger to reduce electrical load. I'd be surprised if a new switch failed. Separately and like any bike, the wires are easy to pull (damage) if fastened incorrectly to the steering head with plastic tyraps.
Old 03-31-2010, 08:10 PM   #561
Wreckchecker
Ungeneer to broked stuff.

Oddometer: 2,341
The ride to Cheyenne sounds like fun. Since the thread got bumped, here was mine this morning while looking at the cherry blossoms on the way to work:
Old 04-01-2010, 05:55 AM   #562
Putts OP
Gettin' there.

Oddometer: 11,327
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cigar Mike
I bought a 2005 FJR in October of 2009

I LIKE IT!

Cigar Mike
Of course you do, the blue ones make you smile!!!

Old 04-01-2010, 10:11 AM   #563
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,553
Has anyone heard any rumors about when the FJR will be updated / redesigned? They need to keep up with the competition.. Factory cruise control and traction control would be welcome...
Old 04-01-2010, 10:40 AM   #564
bmwhd
God Bless Texas

Oddometer: 1,476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy
Has anyone heard any rumors about when the FJR will be updated / redesigned? They need to keep up with the competition.. Factory cruise control and traction control would be welcome...
It is time to ramp up the rumors but I've not heard any yet. Cruise would be nice but it's so easy to fit an aftermarket electronic cruise that I don't have that high on my list.

My '06 just keeps getting better and better. Best bike I've ever owned by far and oh brother, the sound that comes out of those Staintunes at speed

'78 R80/7
'06 FJR1300A

"Gentlemen, gentlemen, be of good cheer, for they are out there and we are in here!" - Robert Culp, attributed by Hugh Hefner as the official slogan of the Playboy Mansion
bmwhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 11:12 AM   #565
SportsGuy
icanhazdirt?

Oddometer: 538
Crap-tastic iphone photos near freezing on my commute a couple months ago:

Maybe that's why no one else rode in that day...

Insert art here...

Leica shots at PNW Tech Day last weekend:

Christ, THAT cleaned up the cockpit a bunch...

Well, it WAS an FJR when he rode into the Tech day... *whistles*

Total for the PNW FJR Tech Day was 34 FJRs, 1 R6, 1 Husky TE360-ish and 40 people - clicky for more Tech Day pics:

Random FJR shots - Canon:

SportsGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 12:57 PM   #566
Chris618
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 783
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabe1
Cigar Mike, I bet you and I are some of the very on ADV members that have FJRs and an XT225! Talk about power extremes!

Add me to the list of FJR and xt225 bikes.

Love them both, but also love my 950sm, Husaberg fs650, 300xcw and ttr125. Wife says I have a problem.
Chris618 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 01:17 PM   #567
McNeal
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,683
So, what is it like to do the valve check on the FJR1300? I was reading another thread which was comparing the K1300GT to the C14. Someone mentioned that to check the spark plugs or valves on the GT you need to remove the radiator. Several have commented it's a 7 to 8 hour job to check the valves on the C14 though it's easier from then on.

Last fall I took an FJR1300 for a test ride and enjoyed it. I've got a friend who thinks that I should buy a new C14 since he loves his. I admit it's a solid bike, but I like the looks of the FJR1300 better (I know, I know, I shouldn't be looking at the bike, I should be riding it). There's a dealer near me who's got several '09's available on one '08 which are priced attractively. I love the blue that Yamaha used, but I could live with black.

I know this thread is nothing but FJR1300 folks for the most part. Sometimes folks are willing to take off the rose colored glasses and give an honest opinion of their bikes. What do you folks see as the pros and cons of the FJR1300 compared with the C14.
McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 01:52 PM   #568
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by McNeal
So, what is it like to do the valve check on the FJR1300?
About average for an inline-four. You don't have to remove the radiator, but you do have to drain the coolant. Since it is only required every 26K, I used this opportunity to pull the exhaust and radiator and give everything a good inspection and cleanup. This makes the job much easier.

I doubt there's a significant difference between the GT, C14 and FJR in valve adjustments. It wouldn't be a factor if I were deciding between them. Now the RT is a lot easier, but OTOH, you have to do it more frequently.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 02:18 PM   #569
McNeal
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,683
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn
I doubt there's a significant difference between the GT, C14 and FJR in valve adjustments. It wouldn't be a factor if I were deciding between them. Now the RT is a lot easier, but OTOH, you have to do it more frequently.
Thanks and good point.

I like the R1200RT, but it's out of my budget.
McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 04:48 PM   #570
Cigar Mike
Too Old and Too Slow

Oddometer: 1,456
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabe1
The XT is actually the wife's bike. She only lets me ride it occasionally. The Xt has been a great bike for us. It goes where we need to go and brings her back. I usually ride the XR650L. But compared to the FJR it is about the same difference. I am a total noob when it comes to the FJR. But it is a lot of fun becoming acquainted with it. For two up I don't know how it could get much better.

After riding DS bikes the stock seat on the FJR seems comfortable. I would like to check out some of the after market seats though. From what I have read it can be greatly improved. Just what I need, a way to spend more money on motorcycles.

It is nice to see some posts again in this thread. I wondered where everyone went. Good to see some posts again. I am keeping my eye open for rides out here in Colorado.

Cigar Mike