Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2010, 05:42 PM   #571
California
Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 2,848
Ok, I admit it! I'm a lazy bastad and this thread is too long for me to read the whole thing. Is there any substantial differences between the different year models? I'm trying to buy a low miles 2007 and I'm not aware of any "red alert" type items or "you'd be better off with a ..." type things. I'm not talking about farkles and such, just original stock stuff. What's your expert opinion?

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I
took the one less traveled by,
and that has made all the difference
California is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 06:08 PM   #572
richarddacat
daylight rider

Oddometer: 2,971
Quote:
Originally Posted by California
Ok, I admit it! I'm a lazy bastad and this thread is too long for me to read the whole thing. Is there any substantial differences between the different year models? I'm trying to buy a low miles 2007 and I'm not aware of any "red alert" type items or "you'd be better off with a ..." type things. I'm not talking about farkles and such, just original stock stuff. What's your expert opinion?
Sorry, don't care much for lazy bastards but if it ain't too much trouble for ya check this site out.

http://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showforum=77
Only a biker knows why a dog sticks it head out the window.
richarddacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 06:36 PM   #573
Putts OP
Gettin' there.

Oddometer: 11,185
Old 04-01-2010, 07:19 PM   #574
SportsGuy
icanhazdirt?

Oddometer: 538
Quote:
Originally Posted by McNeal
So, what is it like to do the valve check on the FJR1300? I was reading another thread which was comparing the K1300GT to the C14. Someone mentioned that to check the spark plugs or valves on the GT you need to remove the radiator. Several have commented it's a 7 to 8 hour job to check the valves on the C14 though it's easier from then on.

Last fall I took an FJR1300 for a test ride and enjoyed it. I've got a friend who thinks that I should buy a new C14 since he loves his. I admit it's a solid bike, but I like the looks of the FJR1300 better (I know, I know, I shouldn't be looking at the bike, I should be riding it). There's a dealer near me who's got several '09's available on one '08 which are priced attractively. I love the blue that Yamaha used, but I could live with black.

I know this thread is nothing but FJR1300 folks for the most part. Sometimes folks are willing to take off the rose colored glasses and give an honest opinion of their bikes. What do you folks see as the pros and cons of the FJR1300 compared with the C14.
I rode the C14 and FJR back to back last summer on test rides. I took the FJR home.

The FJR has an easier overall maintenance routine. That said, mine heads to the dealer for whatever it needs.

Now, go buy an FJR and be happy with it.
SportsGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 07:30 PM   #575
richarddacat
daylight rider

just had my 05 in the shop for the first time for a valve adjustment at 30k, all were in spec. TB sync made a huge difference.
Old 04-01-2010, 09:41 PM   #576
robd1998
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wreckchecker
The ride to Cheyenne sounds like fun. Since the thread got bumped, here was mine this morning while looking at the cherry blossoms on the way to work:

Hey Bob that bike looks familiar. Let me have it back for cheap.
robd1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 10:29 PM   #577
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 14,383
Quote:
Originally Posted by richarddacat
just had my 05 in the shop for the first time for a valve adjustment at 30k, all were in spec. TB sync made a huge difference.
Last August I brought my '07 in for it's first valve check at 30,000 miles and all were in spec.
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 10:37 PM   #578
Putts OP
Gettin' there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakebird
first valve check at 30,000 miles and all were in spec.
FJRs are a tool.

A soulless, exquisite tool.
Old 04-02-2010, 07:10 AM   #579
McNeal
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,629
Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsGuy
I rode the C14 and FJR back to back last summer on test rides. I took the FJR home.
Can you be specific as to why you liked the FJR more?
The one thing I didn't like on the C14 was the mirrors. With the bags on you lose the lower half of the mirror. That's been fixed on the '10 model.
Quote:
The FJR has an easier overall maintenance routine. That said, mine heads to the dealer for whatever it needs.

Now, go buy an FJR and be happy with it.
I've been circling around the FJR for some time. I bought my Ducati new in '04 and probably should have bought an FJR instead. The Ducati has been a great bike, but I've had several back surgeries and the forward lean on the ST3 is just too much for long days. I didn't realize this would be a problem when I test rode the bike.

With the prices available on the '08 and '09 FJR's it's real temping.
McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 08:07 AM   #580
SportsGuy
icanhazdirt?

Oddometer: 538
Quote:
Originally Posted by McNeal
Can you be specific as to why you liked the FJR more?
The one thing I didn't like on the C14 was the mirrors. With the bags on you lose the lower half of the mirror. That's been fixed on the '10 model.
Funny, I liked the mirrors on the C14 more than on the FJR. LOL

In either case the stock mirrors remain a compromise, but solutions can be had to fix the issue on the FJR such as replacements on longer stalks and spacers to move the factory units out further.

I was specifically looking for the heat issue Connies had up until the 2010 models. No idea what they changed, but I hear the new models manage heat much better. I rode in June here (Seattle - mid-70's) and the difference in how the two bikes managed heat was noticable. The Connie had me completely soaked from sweating inside 20 minutes around town. The FJR was noticeably better. I rode the same route back to back.

While moving, on both bikes things were roughly the same. But when riding slowly in traffic or stopped at lights, the heat was an issue for me on the Connie.

Otherwise, it's tough to fault the bike. It's an excellent ride. My choice was perssonal. After riding a Suzuki Vstrom 1000, a Ducati Multistrada S, a Suzuki B-King, the FJR, the Connie and a Yamaha FZ1, I though about what each bike was like and my intended use. In reality that left me with the Connie, the FJR, the Duc and the Vstrom.

I pulled the Connie from the list due to my experience with the heat management. I dropped the Vstrom because it was basically similar to the Multistrada, and given both were financially attainable, ah, I'd easy opt for the Duc. ;)

I then had to decide if I wanted a fling or a relationship. The Duc or the FJR. It took me about 3 seconds to decide and 30 minutes to agonize, but the FJR was the right choice for me.

I later realized it was the one bike I rode that simply did everything I asked of it and it had asked nothing in return. Lean more? OK, how low do you want to go? Go faster, sure thing, just twist that grip. Stop NOW! No prblem, grab the levers and haul, the ABS will help. Get groceries, let's go! Stuff the boxes full and stuff that baguette down you jacket (I'm a motorcycle, after all).

OK, so the FJR isn't for everybody, but rarely do people label having one a mistake.

Plus, and this factored into my decision, there is an active local group of FJR owners near me. We ride frequently, hold tech days and generally hang out online (www.Fjrforum.com). This might not matter to some, but it has added greatly to my ownership experience.
SportsGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 08:37 AM   #581
Putts OP
Gettin' there.

Quote:
In either case the stock mirrors remain a compromise, but solutions can be had to fix the issue on the FJR such as replacements on longer stalks and spacers to move the factory units out further.
I've got the gen 1 FJR and have replaced the mirriors. Damn if I can remember now, I think they're F1 mirrors. The folks over on the FJRforum know. They work GREAT!

Old 04-04-2010, 08:41 AM   #582
richarddacat
daylight rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Putts
I've got the gen 1 FJR and have replaced the mirriors. Damn if I can remember now, I think they're F1 mirrors. The folks over on the FJRforum know. They work GREAT!

FZ1's
Old 04-04-2010, 08:53 AM   #583
McNeal
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,629
Quote:
I then had to decide if I wanted a fling or a relationship.
I've been having a fling for 6 years now.

Thanks for the information.
McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 08:56 AM   #584
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Oddometer: 29,229
I have lusted for an FJR for a while now and finally bought one. I found a lightly used 06 with 3500 miles on it for $7500. It's in the shop now for 3 recalls, a new front tire and the steering head needs to be torqued...hence the worn front hoop. I found a used Russell seat for $100 bucks. It has a few nicks, but was a steal for the price. It has bar risers as the only option. I'll be adding a tail case and a C Baileys 2+2 with flip in the near future. Heated grips and hand guards will come along somewhere down the road. I want some kind of throttle lock as well.
Dranrab Luap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 09:13 AM   #585
richarddacat
daylight rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dranrab Luap
I have lusted for an FJR for a while now and finally bought one. I found a lightly used 06 with 3500 miles on it for $7500. It's in the shop now for 3 recalls, a new front tire and the steering head needs to be torqued...hence the worn front hoop. I found a used Russell seat for $100 bucks. It has a few nicks, but was a steal for the price. It has bar risers as the only option. I'll be adding a tail case and a C Baileys 2+2 with flip in the near future. Heated grips and hand guards will come along somewhere down the road. I want some kind of throttle lock as well.
Good deal on the 06

I'm using a http://www.madcorider.com/cam-lock_Sport.html throttle lock with satisfactory results but there's other options out there.
Audiovox cruise control is the cats whiskers IMO but I haven't sprung for it.