Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2010, 10:15 PM   #601
Putts OP
Gettin' there.

Oddometer: 11,315
Add my 250 pounds and it might as well be a FatBoy, but it doesn't feel like it.
I get cross winds in Monatana and into Wyoming that will peal a bowling ball.

I just tilt the FJR onto its side and scoot over on the seat to sit up straight behind the cocked bike and ride on.
Stable like a rock.
Old 04-05-2010, 11:24 PM   #602
996DL
Buell me

Oddometer: 2,118
Quote:
Originally Posted by Putts
I get cross winds in Monatana and into Wyoming that will peal a bowling ball.

I just tilt the FJR onto its side and scoot over on the seat to sit up straight behind the cocked bike and ride on.
Stable like a rock.
That is precisely why I want one, somewhere down the road !

Living on the prairies, hours from the Rockies, never have I ever made a worse decision, than choosing a DL1000 for touring in these regions.

996DL
996DL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 05:54 AM   #603
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,967
Hmm...add another bike the long list of "to-own-someday."

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 07:41 PM   #604
Slash1
Glad To Be Here

Oddometer: 72
I soooo want one. I really, really do.
Slash1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 08:19 PM   #605
Sticky Throttle
Happy wanderer

Oddometer: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn
Optimistic. CW measured 609 lbs dry for a Gen1. Add in 40-lbs for fuel and you're at 650 or so. And the Gen2 bikes are widely reported to be 15 or so lbs heavier, so figure 665 for a Gen2.

- Mark
Respect your opinion, but I simply call 'em like I see 'em. See specs at bottom of page http://www.ridermagazine.com/output.cfm?id=142849

I have a Gen1 and am referring to it's wet weight.
Old 04-08-2010, 12:42 AM   #606
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sticky Throttle
Respect your opinion, but I simply call 'em like I see 'em. See specs at bottom of page http://www.ridermagazine.com/output.cfm?id=142849

I have a Gen1 and am referring to it's wet weight.
No biggee - we're both around 650 more or less and perhaps Cycle World and Rider make different assumptions about whether wet weight is full tank, half tank, or everything besides fuel. The key thing here is that the published specs by Yamaha (522 dry for the early ones) are pure fiction. It's a 650-lb motorcycle more or less and thats before any farkles.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 06:22 AM   #607
richarddacat
helmet full of Blues

Oddometer: 3,198
Just got to mention the ST1300 at or around 730lbs and the Concours at or around 680lbs. Just saying.
BONA-WHO ??
richarddacat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 06:42 AM   #608
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Oddometer: 29,938
It would seem reasonable to me that Yamaha would want the VIN of bikes before they shipped recall parts to the service center. This seems to have escaped the shop I took my bike to fow three weeks until I pushed them to dig in. One would think they had ordered recall parts in the past. I have low tolerance for idiots.
Dranrab Luap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 04:00 AM   #609
2whl-hoop
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 841
Heli-bar triples?

I've been getting wrist and elbow pain after riding the FJR for a relatively short time (starts after 10-20 miles). I've read a lot about the heli-bar triple clamps, and I keep hearing that they help with shoulder and back pains, but I'm not sure they'd help with my wrist issues. I don't have problems on a bike with a wide, flat bar, like my wr250r. I'm wondering if the triples would move the bar back enough that it would take some pressure off my wrists or if the angle would be too similar and I'd still have problems. I'm not too keen to throw money at it if it's still going to be an issue.

Any advice/opinions?
2whl-hoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 04:12 AM   #610
JimNtexas
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by s3hoop
I've been getting wrist and elbow pain after riding the FJR for a relatively short time (starts after 10-20 miles). I've read a lot about the heli-bar triple clamps, and I keep hearing that they help with shoulder and back pains, but I'm not sure they'd help with my wrist issues.
When I purchased my FJR the wrist and back pain issue was a major pain in the...wrist and back.

The MCL Riser Block completely solved that issue for me. No more back pain, no more excessive pressure on my wrist.

The other ergonomic flaw in the FJR IMHO is the excessively strong throttle return spring. I added a Throttlemeister which helped a lot, but I think I'll do the 'spring unwind' modification at some point.
JimNtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 05:58 AM   #611
cardingtr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Quote:
I've been getting wrist and elbow pain after riding the FJR for a relatively short time (starts after 10-20 miles). I've read a lot about the heli-bar triple clamps, and I keep hearing that they help with shoulder and back pains, but I'm not sure they'd help with my wrist issues. I don't have problems on a bike with a wide, flat bar, like my wr250r. I'm wondering if the triples would move the bar back enough that it would take some pressure off my wrists or if the angle would be too similar and I'd still have problems. I'm not too keen to throw money at it if it's still going to be an issue.

Any advice/opinions?
If it's your new ride, I'll say ride it around for a few weeks without modification until you develop muscle memory for the new ergonomics.
Also, relax your hands and arms while riding by flexing your elbows. I have the same issue when I bought it new but got used to it that it's now a non issue.
cardingtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 07:56 AM   #612
BikerGeek99
Horizon Chaser

Oddometer: 1,291
Quote:

Any advice/opinions?
Have you read up on the Master Yoda Riding Position?

If not, cruise over to the FJRforum.com and check it out.

For me, a combination of Master Yoda and Heli risers (and a Russell Day-Long seat) have helped immensely.

- '09 FLHTCU
- '04 FJR1300
BikerGeek99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 08:11 AM   #613
richarddacat
helmet full of Blues

Oddometer: 3,198
double risers my help, along with the MYRP of course.

BONA-WHO ??
richarddacat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 04:29 PM   #614
Wreckchecker
Ungeneer to broked stuff.

Oddometer: 2,318
As mentioned, lots to find with Googling FJRForum. Try Master Yoda and a different position for the bar adjusters for the quick and easy free first shot. But I found with both FJRs that releasing the center throttle spring was an absolute must.
Old 04-12-2010, 07:05 AM   #615
2whl-hoop
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 841
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardingtr
Also, relax your hands and arms while riding by flexing your elbows. I have the same issue when I bought it new but got used to it that it's now a non issue.
I took the FJR out on a 195 mile bonding session yesterday, mainly twisty backroads on the bluffs over the Mississippi. I only stopped to fuel up 15 miles into it. At the beginning of the ride I was telling myself to relax my grip on the bars, and it seemed to help. I occasionally got some numbness in my right hand, but not really any pain. I'll probably still get a set of Helibar triples though, eventually.

I rode a 1050 SpeedTriple on Friday, which kind of got me thinking about replacing the FJR, but yesterday, during the ride, I really couldn't think of another bike I'd rather be on.
2whl-hoop is offline   Reply With Quote