Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-24-2010, 12:18 AM   #631
996DL
Buell me

Oddometer: 2,103
Tired of touring in an envelope of comfort ?...

Seriously though, congratulations on putting some really serious miles on your 07 FJR in such a short period, you must live right !

I'm an old Italian mc lover from aways back, are you getting the typical awesome leftover firesale pricing, on your intended Guzzi ?...

996DL
996DL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 01:03 AM   #632
sebastianp
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt_Aubrey
I think some of you guys are having way too much fun with this bike...

I'm 6' 7", 37" inseam, more legs than upper body. There are days when I think I'm destined to ride dual sports forever -- I haven't found a street bike that I thought I could ride comfortably for more than about 30 minutes before everything cramped up.

But I'd love a good sport tourer. As much as I love my KLR, there are days when I just want/need to gobble miles for several days in succession. Need a better tool for the job.

Is the FJR a possibility? Can the ergs be modified without going broke?
I'm 6'7 -- try a BMW sometime. Made where there are tall Germans!
sebastianp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 12:38 PM   #633
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by 996DL
Tired of touring in an envelope of comfort ?...
I've toured on everything from an RSV Mille to a CBR1000RR and ZX-14, putting as many miles on in a year as I have with the FJR.
The FJR is almost cheating though

Quote:
Seriously though, congratulations on putting some really serious miles on your 07 FJR in such a short period, you must live right !
I just ride a lot, and the road trips in the west tend to be a few thousand miles each.

Quote:
I'm an old Italian mc lover from aways back, are you getting the typical awesome leftover firesale pricing, on your intended Guzzi ?...
Indeed, that was the attraction.

I had no plans of getting rid of the FJR at all - until I saw leftover, zero mile full warranty $13,590 bikes selling for $8500-$9000.

Those seem to sell minutes before my phone call. I got one for mid $10k, still a firesale price IMO. Two year warranty w/ 24 hr roadside assistance... lots to like.
And they've moved the fuel pump since my V11 Rosso Mandello, so it won't vapor lock on hot days.
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 06:20 AM   #634
Wreckchecker
Ungeneer to broked stuff.

Oddometer: 2,285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt_Aubrey
I think some of you guys are having way too much fun with this bike...

I'm 6' 7", 37" inseam, more legs than upper body. There are days when I think I'm destined to ride dual sports forever -- I haven't found a street bike that I thought I could ride comfortably for more than about 30 minutes before everything cramped up.

But I'd love a good sport tourer. As much as I love my KLR, there are days when I just want/need to gobble miles for several days in succession. Need a better tool for the job.

Is the FJR a possibility? Can the ergs be modified without going broke?

Mods -- will start another thread if this is too much of a hijack...
--
Mark
This is an old thread, so discount what is said about the Gen1 FJRs (2005 & earlier).
With the seat in the tall position and a VStream or other tall windshield you'd have lots of company in the tall owner group.
Old 04-25-2010, 06:22 AM   #635
Wreckchecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constipated Face
Those police bikes look sharp.
They have to LOOK sharp, because they're detuned and make a LOT less h.p. than the rest of the world gets.
Old 04-25-2010, 06:32 AM   #636
Wreckchecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLdeano

2006 ABS w/ under 11k miles. Wish I could say I liked it, but fork seals were blown and it was pissing fork oil after the first few miles so other than a short commute to work it has been a really heavy paperweight

Hopefully seals get straightened out and she is as good to me as the B1250 was.
The seals went out after 4 years and 11,000 miles. Andddd.....?

Seriously, I've never bought a used vehicle without something that needed to be sorted out. These bikes are incredibly reliable and the biggest problem is that owners just get tired of them or see something else that catches their eye. After all, the grass is always greener on the other side, right Blakebird? (I have goose lust, too, but am not going back to commuting with a chain.)

fwiw, There's a guy on the FJRForum who just turned 222,000 miles and plenty over 100,000. The FJR has been one of the most popular Iron Butt rides for several years and has a very active owner's group.

Get it sorted out so you can come out & play!
Old 04-25-2010, 02:09 PM   #637
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,045
To answer the tall gentleman's question about legroom...
I'm not nearly as tall as you, but on a couple of bikes where I wanted more legroom, I had a Corbin made with a taller seat pocket. Looked and worked great on my ZX-14....which tended to be a knee kinker on 700 mile days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wreckchecker
(I have goose lust, too, but am not going back to commuting with a chain.)
Which Moto Guzzi had you planned on buying that would have chain final drive?
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 03:02 PM   #638
Laconic
Gaulded

Oddometer: 15,669
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakebird
It will treat you better.

I bought my 2007 used from a dealer in July 2008 w/ 1,137 miles on it.
It now has 33,000 and has been one of the top three bikes I've ever owned.

I had no plans on selling it, but as usually happens when I'm content with a bike - something shiny and purty catches my eye.
I didn't advertise it much, just here in the Flea Market
I thought I had a buyer for it, but the sale fell through and a week from today it will get traded in for:

Glad things are working out Blake. If it's any consolation, I just spent four grand on furniture yesterday and it ain't over yet...

Laconic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 06:58 PM   #639
DiasDePlaya
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 624
I was thinking about to change my FJR because I had the idea that is not good to ride like a hooligan, as I like. My plan was to change it by a Yamaha FZ1.

But today I won a long race between a KTM 950 SM rode by one of the fastest pilots that I know. I won in a very curvy road, the natural environment for the KTM. Now I love my FJR very much more than yesterday!

"Ya veras como quieren en Chile al amigo cuando es forastero"
Traditional song
DiasDePlaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 07:09 PM   #640
DLdeano
Ridin' all I can

Oddometer: 949
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wreckchecker
The seals went out after 4 years and 11,000 miles. Andddd.....?

Seriously, I've never bought a used vehicle without something that needed to be sorted out.
Get it sorted out so you can come out & play!
Just cryin' in my beer a bit 'cause the Bandit sold, and the FJ is out of service...no riding for the past week or so

I've done the used thing a few times, and always sort through them, as well.
Gonna pull the final drive, as well, check the splines for lube, swap fluid and forget about it for a good long while
DLdeano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 02:16 PM   #641
Wreckchecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakebird
Which Moto Guzzi had you planned on buying that would have chain final drive?
It was a joke that was "my bad" in how I wrote it. Congrats again on your pretty new ride.

Seriously, I've been looking for a relatively cheap project goose to keep the Feej company in the garage.
Old 04-26-2010, 02:50 PM   #642
sagedrifter
Southern Explorer

Oddometer: 1,408
Capt_Aubrey: I'm 6"4" with a short 34" inseam and ride the FJR on long trips with only a Sargent seat and a tall shield added. You could have a tall seat built and lower the pegs. Risers are no problem, many have them. The FJR1300 is the first bike I have not added risers or changed the pegs on. I found it to be almost perfect from day one. I rode it for a while not changing anything and my body settled in well.

Its been a while, but I think the BMW RT12 is the bike for the really tall folks. I tried one in the past and loved the room but wanted more engine. The Honda ST13 would give a tall rider some knee room, that bike fits me great but, I moved on to the FJR wanting more sport, less heat, less weight etc.

With my 34" inseam the Connies flared out fuel tank killed it for me, I would have to lower the pegs. My knees hit the tank all wrong and after lowering the pegs on my past Honda ST I knew I needed to avoid lowering the pegs for the curves. I hate dragging pegs and toes in every "fun" curve, but some of us must lower the pegs. I've learned I rather be a bit cramped and have the lean angle. I do have highway pegs for the interstate.

You may want to search this site: http://www.fjriders.com/forum/index.php
sagedrifter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 04:18 PM   #643
Braun2332
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
This has probably been covered a million times..

What givi bag do most use? I'm thinking about the E55 but haven't read too many reviews about them.

What top case does everyone else use?
Braun2332 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 11:58 AM   #644
Bug R
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braun2332
This has probably been covered a million times..

What givi bag do most use? I'm thinking about the E55 but haven't read too many reviews about them.

What top case does everyone else use?
E52's are very popular, since they swallow two full face helmets or more that a full case of beer

I seen V46's as well.

Chris
Bug R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 01:06 PM   #645
Dirtgeek

Oddometer: n/a
I have a v46 on the way. I'll post pics after mounted.

al