ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-31-2010, 01:12 PM   #676
LowAndSilent
Still a newb
 
LowAndSilent's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Lynnwood, WA
Oddometer: 549
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wreckchecker
Post that news on FJRForum and I'm sure you'll get quick responses.
Thanks. I've all ready found one. I'll be picking it up in a few weeks.
__________________
Bikes:
09 Suzuki DL650A - Sold
08 Kawasaki Ninja 650R - Sold
05 Suzuki Burgman 400 - Wife's scoot
08 Yamaha FJR1300AE -

"Forget the carrot. It's time for the stick!" - Coworker
LowAndSilent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 11:17 AM   #677
GillaFunk
I use profanities
 
GillaFunk's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2005
Location: Penngrove, California (Sonoma County)
Oddometer: 4,074
where to sell a seat

So, I just picked up a used '07 and love it. it came with the stock seat and a seargeant driver seat, which I do not like. I prefer the stocker.

Being new to the FJR thing.....Im not really sure where I can post it up for sale.

I dont see anything in FJRForum.com for a marketplace, and I very much doubt it would be of anyones use on this site.

Any ideas?
__________________
"America is not at war. The Marine Corps is at war; America is at the mall."
EVERYTHING I need to know I learned from Porn

FOR SALE DR650 FMF Q Exhaust

GillaFunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 11:45 AM   #678
LowAndSilent
Still a newb
 
LowAndSilent's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Lynnwood, WA
Oddometer: 549
Quote:
Originally Posted by GillaFunk
So, I just picked up a used '07 and love it. it came with the stock seat and a seargeant driver seat, which I do not like. I prefer the stocker.

Being new to the FJR thing.....Im not really sure where I can post it up for sale.

I dont see anything in FJRForum.com for a marketplace, and I very much doubt it would be of anyones use on this site.

Any ideas?
You have to become a member on FJRForum.com to post in the marketplace section.

If not, put it up for sale in the Flea Market section here on ADV. I'm sure you'll find a taker.
__________________
Bikes:
09 Suzuki DL650A - Sold
08 Kawasaki Ninja 650R - Sold
05 Suzuki Burgman 400 - Wife's scoot
08 Yamaha FJR1300AE -

"Forget the carrot. It's time for the stick!" - Coworker
LowAndSilent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 12:39 PM   #679
BikerGeek99
Horizon Chaser
 
BikerGeek99's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Columbus, OH
Oddometer: 1,338
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowAndSilent
You have to become a member on FJRForum.com to post in the marketplace section.

If not, put it up for sale in the Flea Market section here on ADV. I'm sure you'll find a taker.
He speaketh the truth.

Plus, they just started a sign-up for a Russell group-buy over there, so some people may be looking for a spare stock seat to have modified. May just be a good time to sell.
__________________
Thank God for the man who put the white lines on the highway.
- Michael Stanley


- '09 FLHTCU
- '04 FJR1300
BikerGeek99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 01:06 PM   #680
ptc05ADV
Looking for adventur
 
ptc05ADV's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2005
Location: Eastern Ontario, great roads & lots of deer
Oddometer: 484
Thumb Another amazing trip

Howdy fellow FeeJeR's
Got back from a very sperb weekend at the BMW RA rally in sw Vermont- Pownal, VT to be exact. The area is releat with excellent two-lane tracks for acrving up the green ntns in VT and the Berkshires in MA.
I managed to roll-up over 1100 miles with only 500 miles added on the trip to and from the hacienda. SO, I did a lot of riding in two days. The FJR handled it with total grace.

The route home through the Adirondacks was AWESOME!! Bullet train? YES!!
Cheers,
Peter C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtgeek
Howdy Low, I have an 08A and love it. Its a great tourer. You can haul a ton of camping gear and ride, ride, ride! Its comfy and is an absolute bullet train. Good mileage per tank and range is exellent. Toured for a week on mine in June through NC, VA and WVA. Good luck in your search.

Al
__________________
Peter Campbell
All-round Instructor Pilot
08 FJR 1300 - my "GT clone"
SOLD! 09 FZ-1 - my new "hoon" bike
SOLD! 06 KTM 950 ADV - The best ADV ride
ptc05ADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 05:33 PM   #681
rockmurf
IBA #31100
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: Bradenton,FL
Oddometer: 322
Just wanted to chime in. I have an 06 with 72k miles and it has been a complete joy to own. Cheap and easy maintain. 40-50 mpg on reg. gas. Cheap insurance, comfortable powerful, great bike.
rockmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 10:37 AM   #682
O Captain My Captain
Modern Day Walter Mitty
 
O Captain My Captain's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Do I smell pot roast??
Oddometer: 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowAndSilent
Thanks for the help everyone. My DL650 is sold, and now I can look for an FJR to buy in earnest.
Hey Low, just curious as to why you sold your Wee Strom and decided to get an FJR? I ask because I may be in the market for a new ride within the next couple of months (currently ride an XR650L) and the two bikes nearing the top of my list are the Wee/Vee Strom and the FJR. Two different types of bikes (Stroms and FJR) for two different jobs I know, but I'll need to decide what will be a more practical choice for the type of riding I intend to do.

I love my XR but the biggest issue is its non-user friendliness on the higway for long periods, which is obviously a non-issue for the Wee/Vee Stroms and especially the FJR. I'm on the border of adventure touring and sport touring and both bikes are very appealing to me.
O Captain My Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 11:03 AM   #683
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: Swellvue, WA
Oddometer: 10,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by O Captain My Captain
Hey Low, just curious as to why you sold your Wee Strom and decided to get an FJR?
I'll chime in because I own both, a 2005 FJR and a 2006 Wee.

Let me start by saying that although I own a few bikes, I don't take owning extra ones lightly - each has to do a much better job for a particular mission than any of the others or I'll try and make a single bike do both jobs. In this regard, these two are very different bikes and because of this, I continue to own both. Neither is a adequate substitute for the other.

The Wee is a Swiss-Army-Knife type of bike, extremely versatile, easy to own, exceptionally easy to ride (perhaps the easiest to ride bike in existence) cheap, low-maintenance and relatively easy to work on, comfortable, somewhat disposable, great on gas, and a bit bland. It has completely adequate power, but you really have to wring it hard to ride with more powerful bikes and it runs out of steam above 90 or so. It is a pack horse in the vein of the KLR, but it is much much more comfortable than a KLR and a much better highway bike. It does nothing exceptionally and everything very well. It is a superb commuter bike, light touring rig, adventure bike, and all-arounder. And you can get it with ABS at reasonable cost, which is a huge plus in my book.

The FJR is a high-speed bullet-train type of bike. It loves high-speed cruising and smooth pavement. While it is down on power slightly to the latest bikes (like the VFR and C14), it still has a lot of power and torque and is great fun to wind through the gears in a straight line. It handles heavy loads and two-up riding with aplomb. It is exceptionally comfortable and even with the stock screen, has great weather protection. It handles very well for what it is and can be hustled in the tight stuff, but it has pretty severe cornering clearance limits (especially with the stock suspension) and you always know you're on a heavy bike that you're unlikely to save if you get it seriously out of shape. It's a great 6/10th's bike, a good 7/10th's bike, a marginal 8/10th's bike, and a lousy 9/10th's bike. And it's a holy bitch to pick up after falling over. Another issue is that the 05's and earlier are not good hot climate bikes - I've modded mine to be completely acceptable and it is fine in the PacNW, but in Dallas, an early FJR would quite simply roast you to death. And while the FJR will do gravel roads now and then, it really can't be used in the adventure touring role at all.

If you want a bike to do a lot of things and you like a lighter bike, I'd strongly recommend the Wee (or the Vee, although if you want the bigger version, then I'd tend to start looking awfully hard at a GS which I think is a much better liter+ bike all-around). With a better shield, it is a surprisingly capable highway tourer and just a great all-around bike. But if you're staying on the pavement, don't mind the weight, and want to do the huge miles in all weather at speed, the FJR is definitely a much better high-speed cruiser.

If you want something in-between that compromises between both jobs - bite the bullet and get a GSA. But you'll probably spend more than you would on two bikes and you've got to be comfortable with BMW ownership.

- Mark

markjenn screwed with this post 08-04-2010 at 11:10 AM
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 02:43 PM   #684
O Captain My Captain
Modern Day Walter Mitty
 
O Captain My Captain's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Do I smell pot roast??
Oddometer: 498
Thanks for chiming in. I share your sentiment and don't want to have extra bikes in the garage that I don't use. I'm thinking that perhaps the best way for me to go may be to ditch the XR and replace it with a Wee and then maybe add the FJR down the line if I feel the need to do more highway riding. I like the idea of the GSA, but as you alluded to, there is the issue of BMW ownership and, for me, the jury is still out for me in terms of BMW quality issues. I've read too many stories on both sides, but it's the negative ones that give me pause. I don't think I've heard of anyone having major malfunctions on an FJR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn
I'll chime in because I own both, a 2005 FJR and a 2006 Wee.

Let me start by saying that although I own a few bikes, I don't take owning extra ones lightly - each has to do a much better job for a particular mission than any of the others or I'll try and make a single bike do both jobs. In this regard, these two are very different bikes and because of this, I continue to own both. Neither is a adequate substitute for the other.

The Wee is a Swiss-Army-Knife type of bike, extremely versatile, easy to own, exceptionally easy to ride (perhaps the easiest to ride bike in existence) cheap, low-maintenance and relatively easy to work on, comfortable, somewhat disposable, great on gas, and a bit bland. It has completely adequate power, but you really have to wring it hard to ride with more powerful bikes and it runs out of steam above 90 or so. It is a pack horse in the vein of the KLR, but it is much much more comfortable than a KLR and a much better highway bike. It does nothing exceptionally and everything very well. It is a superb commuter bike, light touring rig, adventure bike, and all-arounder. And you can get it with ABS at reasonable cost, which is a huge plus in my book.

The FJR is a high-speed bullet-train type of bike. It loves high-speed cruising and smooth pavement. While it is down on power slightly to the latest bikes (like the VFR and C14), it still has a lot of power and torque and is great fun to wind through the gears in a straight line. It handles heavy loads and two-up riding with aplomb. It is exceptionally comfortable and even with the stock screen, has great weather protection. It handles very well for what it is and can be hustled in the tight stuff, but it has pretty severe cornering clearance limits (especially with the stock suspension) and you always know you're on a heavy bike that you're unlikely to save if you get it seriously out of shape. It's a great 6/10th's bike, a good 7/10th's bike, a marginal 8/10th's bike, and a lousy 9/10th's bike. And it's a holy bitch to pick up after falling over. Another issue is that the 05's and earlier are not good hot climate bikes - I've modded mine to be completely acceptable and it is fine in the PacNW, but in Dallas, an early FJR would quite simply roast you to death. And while the FJR will do gravel roads now and then, it really can't be used in the adventure touring role at all.

If you want a bike to do a lot of things and you like a lighter bike, I'd strongly recommend the Wee (or the Vee, although if you want the bigger version, then I'd tend to start looking awfully hard at a GS which I think is a much better liter+ bike all-around). With a better shield, it is a surprisingly capable highway tourer and just a great all-around bike. But if you're staying on the pavement, don't mind the weight, and want to do the huge miles in all weather at speed, the FJR is definitely a much better high-speed cruiser.

If you want something in-between that compromises between both jobs - bite the bullet and get a GSA. But you'll probably spend more than you would on two bikes and you've got to be comfortable with BMW ownership.

- Mark
O Captain My Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 06:07 PM   #685
ptc05ADV
Looking for adventur
 
ptc05ADV's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2005
Location: Eastern Ontario, great roads & lots of deer
Oddometer: 484
Cool2 BMW "issues"

As you can see from my signature I've owned BMW's and now have my beloved FJR.
BMW's either GS/GSA or RT/LT/GT bikes are very good and very capable at traversing a very wide variety of roads. They cosset their riders and deliver performance over long distances with aplomb. My two-year experience with my FJR tell me that this slightly portly beast (but lighter than the ST1300) is the equal in neary every aspect to the RT/GT series except in one area. MAINTENANCE. The FJR is so amazing cheap to run and to maintain that BMW should, perhaps, be embarrased to charge what they do to keep their bikes warranty compliant and roadworthy.
There is my $.02 for your consideration.
P.S. I still admire BMW's and look fondly on my ownership experience.

PTC

Quote:
Originally Posted by O Captain My Captain
Thanks for chiming in. I share your sentiment and don't want to have extra bikes in the garage that I don't use. I'm thinking that perhaps the best way for me to go may be to ditch the XR and replace it with a Wee and then maybe add the FJR down the line if I feel the need to do more highway riding. I like the idea of the GSA, but as you alluded to, there is the issue of BMW ownership and, for me, the jury is still out for me in terms of BMW quality issues. I've read too many stories on both sides, but it's the negative ones that give me pause. I don't think I've heard of anyone having major malfunctions on an FJR.
__________________
Peter Campbell
All-round Instructor Pilot
08 FJR 1300 - my "GT clone"
SOLD! 09 FZ-1 - my new "hoon" bike
SOLD! 06 KTM 950 ADV - The best ADV ride
ptc05ADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 06:36 PM   #686
O Captain My Captain
Modern Day Walter Mitty
 
O Captain My Captain's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Do I smell pot roast??
Oddometer: 498
Good to know. Thanks for your input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptc05ADV
As you can see from my signature I've owned BMW's and now have my beloved FJR.
BMW's either GS/GSA or RT/LT/GT bikes are very good and very capable at traversing a very wide variety of roads. They cosset their riders and deliver performance over long distances with aplomb. My two-year experience with my FJR tell me that this slightly portly beast (but lighter than the ST1300) is the equal in neary every aspect to the RT/GT series except in one area. MAINTENANCE. The FJR is so amazing cheap to run and to maintain that BMW should, perhaps, be embarrased to charge what they do to keep their bikes warranty compliant and roadworthy.
There is my $.02 for your consideration.
P.S. I still admire BMW's and look fondly on my ownership experience.

PTC
O Captain My Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 08:36 PM   #687
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: Swellvue, WA
Oddometer: 10,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptc05ADV
As you can see from my signature I've owned BMW's and now have my beloved FJR.
BMW's either GS/GSA or RT/LT/GT bikes are very good and very capable at traversing a very wide variety of roads. They cosset their riders and deliver performance over long distances with aplomb. My two-year experience with my FJR tell me that this slightly portly beast (but lighter than the ST1300) is the equal in neary every aspect to the RT/GT series except in one area. MAINTENANCE. The FJR is so amazing cheap to run and to maintain that BMW should, perhaps, be embarrased to charge what they do to keep their bikes warranty compliant and roadworthy.
There is my $.02 for your consideration.
P.S. I still admire BMW's and look fondly on my ownership experience.

PTC
I pretty much agree with this. I do think you need to pay attention a little more to things with a BMW and if you get a lemon with a BMW, Katie bar the door. I like German vehicles and I probably will always have a BMW in my stable - I just sold my R1100S and replaced it with a S1000R which is a phenomenal sports bike.

And everything isn't perfect with the FJR. While mine has been reliable as a train, I just did a valve check on my FJR a month or so ago and frankly it was a total PITA and it made me think how much easier it would have gone with an RT. You win some and you lose some. I don't think BMW's are nearly as bad as many make them out, and FJR's have had some issues also (valve noise, ignition switches, etc.)

But in the final analysis, I think bikes like the Wee and FJR do tilt the odds towards hassle-free ownership about as far as you can. If that's a huge priority, then these are the bikes to own.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 08:43 AM   #688
LowAndSilent
Still a newb
 
LowAndSilent's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Lynnwood, WA
Oddometer: 549
Quote:
Originally Posted by O Captain My Captain
Hey Low, just curious as to why you sold your Wee Strom and decided to get an FJR? I ask because I may be in the market for a new ride within the next couple of months (currently ride an XR650L) and the two bikes nearing the top of my list are the Wee/Vee Strom and the FJR. Two different types of bikes (Stroms and FJR) for two different jobs I know, but I'll need to decide what will be a more practical choice for the type of riding I intend to do.

I love my XR but the biggest issue is its non-user friendliness on the higway for long periods, which is obviously a non-issue for the Wee/Vee Stroms and especially the FJR. I'm on the border of adventure touring and sport touring and both bikes are very appealing to me.
Markjenn covered it very well from the DL650 side (and I'm sure on the FJR aspect as well). I've never ridden an FJR, so I cannot comment on how it is compared to the DL650. The reason I gave my DL up was because of how I see myself riding in the next few years. I want to do a lot more touring, especially with the wife, and still have the ability to go out and have fun in the mountain roads around the PNW. The DL650 was great two-up...or one-up and loaded. Started running out of steam quite a bit two-up and loaded, especially in the mountains around here.

I'll eventually be getting a DS bike once I can sell my wife's 650R. That'll at least give me the option of exploring all of the wonderful FS and dirt trails around the area. I will really miss the DL's ability to take me down any road that I saw.

So i'll be going from this:



to this:



I'll get to know the new bike real well. 2500 miles to get it home...and I may take the long way and do about 3200 miles.

Edit: Oops...forgot. Plans changed and I'll be tacking on another 1300 miles onto that. So...between 3800 and 4500 miles before I return home.
__________________
Bikes:
09 Suzuki DL650A - Sold
08 Kawasaki Ninja 650R - Sold
05 Suzuki Burgman 400 - Wife's scoot
08 Yamaha FJR1300AE -

"Forget the carrot. It's time for the stick!" - Coworker

LowAndSilent screwed with this post 08-05-2010 at 08:55 AM
LowAndSilent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 07:18 PM   #689
O Captain My Captain
Modern Day Walter Mitty
 
O Captain My Captain's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: Do I smell pot roast??
Oddometer: 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowAndSilent


I'll get to know the new bike real well. 2500 miles to get it home...and I may take the long way and do about 3200 miles.

Edit: Oops...forgot. Plans changed and I'll be tacking on another 1300 miles onto that. So...between 3800 and 4500 miles before I return home.
That's a great way to break in your new ride.

The black ones are really growing on me, although my first choice would still be blue. I hope Yamaha brings back blue for 2011 and beyond. Sat on a silver FJR today at my dealer. Fit like a glove.

O Captain My Captain screwed with this post 08-05-2010 at 08:14 PM
O Captain My Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 08:10 PM   #690
LowAndSilent
Still a newb
 
LowAndSilent's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Lynnwood, WA
Oddometer: 549
Quote:
Originally Posted by O Captain My Captain
That's a great way to break in your new ride.

The black ones are really growing on me, although my first choice would still be blue. I hope Yamaha brings blue for 2011 and beyond. Sat on a silver FJR today at my dealer. Fit like a glove.
I actually like most any of the colors for the FJR...really, really like the Burgandy though.
__________________
Bikes:
09 Suzuki DL650A - Sold
08 Kawasaki Ninja 650R - Sold
05 Suzuki Burgman 400 - Wife's scoot
08 Yamaha FJR1300AE -

"Forget the carrot. It's time for the stick!" - Coworker
LowAndSilent is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:49 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014