Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2009, 02:02 PM   #91
innominate
Adventurer

Oddometer: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve G.
So I'm looking at getting an FJR 1300. I need a bike with good weather protection, power, and looks, this bike seems to have all 3. I'm noticing quite a difference in pricing with the early ones and their apparent heat issues. Can you guys give me the basic improvements they've made on these over the years, and how much of an issue this 'heat' thing is? I'm in the PNW, so heat is usually no worries, but do go to the desert often.
Steve
check this http://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=8660. there's a model comparison link. along with other info
The content of this post is for entertainment purposes only and does not necessarily reflect the opinions of the poster. Furthermore, claims made by the poster are deemed to be fictitious for the purpose of entertainment. All rights reserved.
innominate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 10:42 PM   #92
Steve G.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,622
Quote:
Originally Posted by innominate
check this http://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?showtopic=8660. there's a model comparison link. along with other info
Interesting reading. So these engines have an issue with valve guides it seems. Is this on Generation 2 as well as 1?
Steve
Steve G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 11:22 AM   #93
bmwhd
God Bless Texas

Oddometer: 1,476
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve G.
Interesting reading. So these engines have an issue with valve guides it seems. Is this on Generation 2 as well as 1?
Steve
No. Since the 2006 model year, there have been no confirmed reports of any "Tickers" - i.e. valve guide issues.

FWIW, Yamaha has bent over backwards to fix this (and several minor complaints) on the FJR.

My personal favorite example is the so called Gen II Altitude Fix. Gen II FJRs had a glitch in the ECU mapping that required a greater than 20% change in throttle position to trigger a refresh of the air pressure reading. Thus a very leisurely ride up a mountain could result in some fueling issues. Yamaha went from "not a problem, as designed" to voluntary replacement of ECUs with proactive customer notification in under 6 months. Compare that to our favorite marquee's FD issues...

'78 R80/7
'06 FJR1300A

"Gentlemen, gentlemen, be of good cheer, for they are out there and we are in here!" - Robert Culp, attributed by Hugh Hefner as the official slogan of the Playboy Mansion
bmwhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 12:15 PM   #94
B.E. Coyote
(Super-Genius)

Oddometer: 5,270
Took my fairly new to me 08 out today after installing the audio-vox cruise control. Sweet!

B.E. Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 02:45 PM   #95
dch
Rock Chalk

Oddometer: 344
Here's mine, all loaded, ready to go.

dch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 02:48 PM   #96
dch
Rock Chalk

Oddometer: 344
Saw this one down at Barber, she's a beauty

dch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 06:41 AM   #97
Wreckchecker
Ungeneer to broked stuff.

Oddometer: 2,345
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwhd
No. Since the 2006 model year, there have been no confirmed reports of any "Tickers" - i.e. valve guide issues.

FWIW, Yamaha has bent over backwards to fix this (and several minor complaints) on the FJR.

My personal favorite example is the so called Gen II Altitude Fix. Gen II FJRs had a glitch in the ECU mapping that required a greater than 20% change in throttle position to trigger a refresh of the air pressure reading. Thus a very leisurely ride up a mountain could result in some fueling issues. Yamaha went from "not a problem, as designed" to voluntary replacement of ECUs with proactive customer notification in under 6 months. Compare that to our favorite marquee's FD issues...
+1
I had a 2004 that ticked and Yamaha fixed it at their cost. I was not the original owner, it was WAY out of warranty by both years of age and mileage. Compared to valve guide problems in Harleys and a number of problems in Beemers, Yamaha SHOWED me that they were responsible.

The Gen1 heat problem was more pronounced for guys riding with office pants in the summer or those with tennis shoes. I typically have on a 'Stitch and road boots, so I was aware of the tank getting warm when near empty, but the heat never bothered me.

I bought a 2007 this summer and it's like having twins that are slightly different. The Gen2 bikes have a number of small improvements and it is a slightly nicer bike. However, the Gen1 bikes seemed faster, because the swingarm was 1" shorter. Not that I do it often anymore, but it was easier to wheelie and keep up with the 600cc bikes on the Gen1.

Thought you guys might enjoy this as a "theme of the week" FJR photo...

Bob
Wreckchecker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 04:50 PM   #98
bungie4
Frostback

Oddometer: 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerGeek99
Non-ABS. Bought it in April with 47K miles on it. GROUP PICTURE!!!!
My bike, 2nd row, 2nd from right! Good times, good times! See ya next Sept bud!
bungie4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 10:30 PM   #99
HYLYNDYR
naewittyshitepostedere

Oddometer: 66
Might as well throw in a pick of my old 04, now riding an 06 !

HYLYNDYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 10:31 PM   #100
HYLYNDYR
naewittyshitepostedere

Here's another !

Old 01-18-2009, 10:37 PM   #101
HYLYNDYR
naewittyshitepostedere

Hey.., Highlander country !!

Old 01-19-2009, 05:11 AM   #102
Saber
slow

Oddometer: 100
My 06 had a couple of problems.
It did have some heat blast onto my ankles, I solved it with some foam, it seemed that the factory foam didn't extend to the plastic. Not a big deal.
I did however have to replace the ignition assembly, it did stop the bike. I am sure a wire broke.
Funny thing was I loosened the cable when I replaced the triple tree with a riser and ball bearings. I know that it would remove the lock on the triple tree but, I may move the ignition key assembly to another location so the wire doesn't have to flex. I do have the old assembly and would just have to use 2 different keys, which we have to do anyway now.

I ended up selling it to my son, I couldn't get comfortable in a sport bike sitting position. (This is a personal problem)

I really liked the bike though.
Saber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 05:40 AM   #103
Putts OP
Gettin' there.

Oddometer: 11,327
Just got my new ADV stickers from Gadget Boy and he asked for some pix of the new stickies, thought I'd drop them in here.

Old 01-19-2009, 04:11 PM   #104
mike25
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saber
My 06 had a couple of problems.
It did have some heat blast onto my ankles, I solved it with some foam, it seemed that the factory foam didn't extend to the plastic. Not a big deal.
I did however have to replace the ignition assembly, it did stop the bike. I am sure a wire broke.
Funny thing was I loosened the cable when I replaced the triple tree with a riser and ball bearings. I know that it would remove the lock on the triple tree but, I may move the ignition key assembly to another location so the wire doesn't have to flex. I do have the old assembly and would just have to use 2 different keys, which we have to do anyway now.

I ended up selling it to my son, I couldn't get comfortable in a sport bike sitting position. (This is a personal problem)

I really liked the bike though.

FYI, Yamaha has just issued a recall for the ignition switches.
mike25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 04:45 AM   #105
Saber
slow

Oddometer: 100
Quote:
FYI, Yamaha has just issued a recall for the ignition switches.
I replaced in last spring.

What type of recall? Are they mailing it out?

Thanks for the info.
Saber is offline   Reply With Quote