Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-22-2011, 11:39 AM   #1141
richarddacat
helmet full of Blues

Oddometer: 3,176
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Harvey View Post
Picking up a FJR is not a big deal for one person if they do it right. Squat down, put your butt against the seat, place one hand on the handlebar that is closest to the ground, put your other hand under the back seat's hardpoint(the place you grab to put it up on its centerstand) and legpress/walk it back upright. This works on big heavy cruisers, sport bikes, dualsports, ect. I know this from experience.
+1

I've done this and I've seen a little lady at a rally do it with a Goldwing.
BONA-WHO ??
richarddacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 11:40 AM   #1142
dceggert
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 213
Quote:
Originally Posted by richarddacat View Post
+1

I've done this and I've seen a little lady at a rally do it with a Goldwing.
Yea, pretty ingenious of her and a wow during the demonstration, but she cheats with a bottle jack!
2005 R1200GS (sold)
1999 HD Ultra Classic
dceggert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2011, 04:01 PM   #1143
Wlfman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Harvey View Post
Picking up a FJR is not a big deal for one person if they do it right. Squat down, put your butt against the seat, place one hand on the handlebar that is closest to the ground, put your other hand under the back seat's hardpoint(the place you grab to put it up on its centerstand) and legpress/walk it back upright. This works on big heavy cruisers, sport bikes, dualsports, ect. I know this from experience.
Yep, works great. I once saw a small short (5'1") lady pick up a Gold Wing that way.

Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt the people who are doing it."
"Now and then it's good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and JUST BE HAPPY."
Wlfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 09:46 AM   #1144
Jud
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptc05ADV View Post
Hey guys, we are talking about the FJR...

But some of the Yamaha line IS getting a little STALE! Time for a refresh? Venture? HELL YES!!
FJR? Maybe. Improvements could start with:

1. A few more points of compression on the motor - squeeze out a few more ponies and better fuel economy at the same time.
2. Lose 10 to 20 pounds (maybe in that highly understressed lump of a motor?)
3. Cruise Control and/or heated seat options. The cruise would be awesome to have!!
4. A more adjustable rear suspension?

Peter C
As long as they can increase the compression without necessitating the use of 93 octane. I'm not really cheap {although I do like the cheaper fuel costs}, I love the fact that the bike can perk along perfectly fine on 87 octane because I've been to quite a few places where one couldn't get anything higher.

Agree whole heartedly on the weight loss and the cruise. I have an adiovox after market setup on my DL and I love it. They quit selling them though.
Blue Skies Coming
Jud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 09:54 AM   #1145
harfooz
FJR1300 / FLHX

Oddometer: 307
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jud View Post
As long as they can increase the compression without necessitating the use of 93 octane. I'm not really cheap {although I do like the cheaper fuel costs}, I love the fact that the bike can perk along perfectly fine on 87 octane because I've been to quite a few places where one couldn't get anything higher.

Agree whole heartedly on the weight loss and the cruise. I have an adiovox after market setup on my DL and I love it. They quit selling them though.

I'm also loving the 87 octane fuel the FJR uses.

Is there a suitable replacement option for the Audiovox cruise control? I have always wanted one on mine, but have just put up with the Throttlemeister.

'fooz
Old 09-23-2011, 10:09 AM   #1146
richarddacat
helmet full of Blues

Oddometer: 3,176
Quote:
Originally Posted by harfooz View Post

Is there a suitable replacement option for the Audiovox cruise control? I have always wanted one on mine, but have just put up with the Throttlemeister.

'fooz
I don't care much for the throttlemeister either. Options along the manual throttle locks that I've used is a Madco and got fair results with it but removed it and rigged up a cheap Vista cruise that's working for me now.
I've still got the Madco and it's available FS if interested.

The Brakeaway has gotten good comments but I've never tried it.
http://www.customdynamics.com/motorc...maha_FJR_1300_

The electronic Audiovox seems the way to go, just a lot of work.
BONA-WHO ??
richarddacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 11:14 AM   #1147
Wlfman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,288
Quote:

'fooz
Not cheap, but : http://www.mccruise.com/FJR-Series-motorcycles.html

Those who say it cannot be done should not interrupt the people who are doing it."
"Now and then it's good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and JUST BE HAPPY."
Wlfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 12:22 PM   #1148
B.E. Coyote
(Super-Genius)

Oddometer: 5,230
Audiotex cc is being imported under another name.look on eBay they run around $175
B.E. Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 04:16 PM   #1149
Tom Herold
Ugh...

Oddometer: 116
You can also find them here:
http://www.murphskits.com/catalog/pr...roducts_id=422
Tom Herold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 09:49 PM   #1150
Sticky Throttle
Happy wanderer

Oddometer: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wlfman View Post
Got one. Expensive. Works well. Is reliable. And the Guymer brothers (in Australia) provide great support (despite being half a world away).

--A happy customer here.
Old 09-23-2011, 09:54 PM   #1151
Sticky Throttle
Happy wanderer

Oddometer: 68
Quote:

'fooz
+1.

The fact that the FJR has such a great engine but only needs 87 octane while getting over 40 mpg (46.9 mpg over 40k miles for me) is quite impressive. A great performer for the money, but I'm biased.
Old 09-24-2011, 03:17 AM   #1152
ptc05ADV
Looking for adventur

Oddometer: 484
Laugh Low octane a winner

Gents,
Agreed that 87 Octane, CHEAP gas, is a real winning hand for the FJR!!

What I was looking at is that modern car engines are running higher compressions and doing GDI = gas direct injection and running on 87 octane. Amazing stuff.
For the FJR we could probably get to 11.5 to 12 to 1 compression and regular fuel with some minor revamping of injector spray and timing and a smarter, more powerful ECU.
AND the gas mileage is awesome!!

PTC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sticky Throttle View Post
+1.

The fact that the FJR has such a great engine but only needs 87 octane while getting over 40 mpg (46.9 mpg over 40k miles for me) is quite impressive. A great performer for the money, but I'm biased.
SOLD! 09 FZ-1 - my new "hoon" bike
SOLD! 06 KTM 950 ADV - The best ADV ride
ptc05ADV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 09:16 AM   #1153
Jud
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Herold View Post

Glad to see they are still available. He was smart to pick up where JC Whitney dropped the ball. It costs slightly more now {I think JC Whitney was selling them for around 120$ but that's completely understandable considering the economies of scale. I just might pick one up for my FJR as the Vista Cruise absolutely sucks compared to the Audiovox cruise on my DL. Plus, the unit has been dead reliable. I hit a deer on the bike, messed it up real bad and let it sit in the weather for a year exsposing the control switch module to rain, baking heat and freezing cold,,,,,, still works perfectly.
Blue Skies Coming
Jud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2011, 02:08 PM   #1154
Tom Herold
Ugh...

I was lucky, a couple of years ago when Audiovox stopped marketing the CC units, the auto parts stores around the nation were dumping them dirt cheap - I picked up two complete and new in the box units for $12 each. That's not a typo, $12 each... I would've bought more but I couldn't find them.

The current CC unit I have on my FJR has been reused on two different bikes now; they're solid, reliable and aren't that difficult to install or uninstall at all. I still have a new unit sitting in the box in case I need it for another bike.

Murphs also sells just the control pad if yours ever goes bad, my experience with the Audiovox unit is that's the most likely culprit if the system ever fails. It's nice to have a parts source!
Old 09-25-2011, 10:26 AM   #1155
Tom Herold
Ugh...

I have a 2k mile trip coming up, going to ride the Nachez Trace and tour 5 states over the Columbus Day weekend. I had to change out my tires from Perelli Angels to Bridgestone BT023 GT's yesterday and took it out for a spin today.

Even though I bought the ones designed for heavier ST bikes, the Angel's didn't last - the front cupped at 5k, but I squeezed another 3k out of it just because I wanted to feel like I was getting something for my money. I can usually get one front per two rear tires, but not this time.

The rear made it to 8k too. The cords weren't too far from wearing through, it had a large flat spot at 6k and the side walls gave a lot of flex. Initially, I liked the handeling and the wet traction was very reassuring. They wore out quickly, no where near the durability of the Pilot Road 2CT's I've experienced in the past

I won't be going back to the Angels, they didn't suit my needs.

Enter the BT023's; I just ran them for their first 100 miles to scrub them in on the Texas Hill Country roads and have to say I like them a lot. Based on reading other owners experiences I'm running them at 42/42psi to help prevent cupping and noticed a few things right away;

- The steering's a bit heavier, the bike doesn't fall into turns as readily but once positioned on a line, it'll hold confidently all the way through.

- The stiffer sidewall is a welcomed feeling, I know what the bike is doing, how it's responding to the road and my inputs. Very confidence inspiring.

- Later in the ride I started to get aggressive with the braking and the tires stuck very well, bringing with them a nice stability and predictable feel.

- Deep in the lean, a little dragging the peg and center stand on the left, the bike was confident feeling and ready to stand up under hard power. I didn't feel any unwanted traction loss, but admit I didn't push the new tires too hard because this was a break-in run.

The next test will be a high speed slab run from Austin to Little Rock, then more from Little Rock to Nashville before starting the Nachez Trace Parkway to its end in Mississippi. After that, back roads to Austin again. I'll be interested in how the harder compound down the center of the rear holds up.

The bike is a commuter and long distance runner. I'll be happy with at least 10k miles out of the rear - can anyone running these tires tell me if that's a realistic expectation?

Tom Herold screwed with this post 09-25-2011 at 05:47 PM