Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2012, 11:24 AM   #1426
Jon_PDX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,085
Quote:
Originally Posted by cisco View Post
The ST4S is Ducati's sport touring bike, 130 hp 996cc 160mph( not with me on it). I compare the FJR more to my R1150RT, but hopefuly not as boring, but the same in comfort and handling.
Frank
I guess I could have saved some typing about HP and torque.....hehehe. Sounds like the ST4S and FJR will put about the same amount of power to the ground. The FJR may spin up faster just because it's an inline-4 but I could be wrong.

Never road an 1150RT but I did take an hour long test ride on a new 1200RT with all the bells and whistles last year before purchasing the FJR. Between the two, the FJR felt faster and sportier.

I'll look forward to hear what you think of it after riding it home from the dealers.

Jon...
Old 02-20-2012, 02:41 AM   #1427
Hayabusa1300
death or glory

Oddometer: 10
comparing FJR and ST4 - FJR wins in handling, speed and comfort. I`ve been riding a lot of bikes comparing to others and I can say that the only alternative to FJR nowadays is BMW 1600 GTL. Not even goldwing and any other pseudo touring bikes. BMW 1200 RT is a good bike, but...but it is a little bit slower in transferring the command from your hand on the throttle to the engine and during steep fast turns FRJ is more predictable in handling even heavy loaded. It is my opinion based as I used both bikes. Here in russia Police use BMW1200RT, BMW has changed the gear ratio and they are very fast at the start and have short rpm range between gears. It gives speed only in the beginnig but after about 70 mph they go off.
P.S. I dont know what I wrote this for

Hayabusa1300 screwed with this post 02-20-2012 at 02:52 AM
Hayabusa1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 06:54 AM   #1428
ec90t
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 243
Riding to Richmond, KY today to meet up with a fellow inmate to swap rides. I'm leaving on a DL1000 and coming home of an FJR The roads are fine for me, but he's going to haul his because of the road conditions south of Brea, KY.

ec90t screwed with this post 02-22-2012 at 06:53 PM
ec90t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012, 10:12 AM   #1429
Fast1
Twisted Throttle

Oddometer: 1,805
Can anyone post the shop manual steps for adjusting the shift lever on the FJR? I've yet to get my hands on a shop manual for a gen II and would like to know exactly what the shop manual references for adjustment and the alignment markers.

Also does the shop manual reference anything for rear brake lever adjustment?

EDIT.. got it figured out.. was pretty simple

too bad this fun ride has to wait another month or so for the winter to change up here in the frozen tundra..

11 Husqvarna TE630- sold
08 Husqvarna TE510- sold

Fast1 screwed with this post 02-20-2012 at 01:48 PM
Fast1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 06:57 PM   #1430
ec90t
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 243
I got the trollip home and cleaned up a bit. The fluids have all been flushed and awaiting a few parts to arrive to get her back in tip top shape. Fun bike with power to spare.

ec90t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 07:12 AM   #1431
Jon_PDX
Beastly Adventurer

ec90t,
Looks good.....I think you made a good trade

I've owned three V-Vsrom's (all 650's though) and the FJR is what I kept trying to make the V-Strom's into. I could have saved a lot of $$$ if I had just bought the FJR in the first place.

Which reminds me, that's the same year bike Frank (Cisco) is getting. I wonder if he has flown back to pick it up and is on his way back since he has not posted for a few days? I'm really curious what he will have to say about the bike when he gets home.

Jon...
Old 02-26-2012, 01:47 AM   #1432
Hayabusa1300
death or glory

Oddometer: 10
I don`t know? have you seen this or not, but a new triumph trophy 1200
http://www.motorbox.com/motor-blog/c...t/immagini/p/2
my opinion something between BMW and Honda Pan St1300
Hayabusa1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 06:15 AM   #1433
rockmurf
IBA #31100

Oddometer: 321
The power outlet will not power your heated gear. It is for recharging your cell phone and running your gps. The fjr has no equal. It is reliable, fun, relatively cheap to keep with 26k valve checks and uses regular gas, not bad on tires. Good luck with your purchase.
rockmurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 05:58 PM   #1434
Spacelord
Mutha Mutha

Oddometer: 814
Has anyone converted their diaphragm clutch to springs, If you have I'd like to here what you think after doing this. I tried searching and couldn't find any info, but my search skills are lacking. As always, thanks for any help.
Old 02-28-2012, 07:41 PM   #1435
bobobob
badbadbad

Oddometer: 4,675
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockmurf View Post
The power outlet will not power your heated gear. It is for recharging your cell phone and running your gps. The fjr has no equal. It is reliable, fun, relatively cheap to keep with 26k valve checks and uses regular gas, not bad on tires. Good luck with your purchase.
MCN says the FJR alternator puts out 490 watts peak.
Do you think that would be enough to power a GPS,
LED driving lights and a heated vest wired to the battery?
Call it 120 watts for the accessories.
Thanks.
bobobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 11:58 PM   #1436
Jud
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,031
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobobob View Post
Thanks.
The GPS is insignificant. The LED driving lights draw what,,,,,, maybe around 60 watts a pair max? Prolly less as many of teh LED aux. lights draw 10-15 watts. A heated vest should be around 40-60 watts depending on the make. So, 100-120 watts max and I'm betting less.

I have a 2nd gend FJR and I have run my vest, my wife's vest, a set of heated grips {what, 20watts or so} and the GPS with no issues what-so-ever.

Best idea, get a volt meter and actually check it. Even if it is up near the edge, just run the vest on low or run the low beams when the LEDs are on as they are probably useless when teh LEDs on on anyway.
Blue Skies Coming
Jud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 05:05 AM   #1437
Jon_PDX
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacelord View Post
Has anyone converted their diaphragm clutch to springs, If you have I'd like to here what you think after doing this. I tried searching and couldn't find any info, but my search skills are lacking. As always, thanks for any help.
Really, we don't have regular springs in our clutches? Guess I better take a closer look at the service manual.

Well I'll be, learn something new every day.

I did a quick search and came up with this for you. Not sure if it's what you wanted to know but maybe it will help.

Barnett Clutch Pack and Spring Install

http://www.fjrforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=138295

Jon...
Old 02-29-2012, 09:08 AM   #1438
bobobob
badbadbad

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobobob View Post
Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jud View Post
The GPS is insignificant. The LED driving lights draw what,,,,,, maybe around 60 watts a pair max? Prolly less as many of teh LED aux. lights draw 10-15 watts. A heated vest should be around 40-60 watts depending on the make. So, 100-120 watts max and I'm betting less.

I have a 2nd gend FJR and I have run my vest, my wife's vest, a set of heated grips {what, 20watts or so} and the GPS with no issues what-so-ever.

Best idea, get a volt meter and actually check it. Even if it is up near the edge, just run the vest on low or run the low beams when the LEDs are on as they are probably useless when teh LEDs on on anyway.
The Denali LEDs are 20 watts for the pair.
Looks like all three accs. will easily be under 120 watts.

Thanks for the info and advice about the volt meter.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:27 AM   #1439
sagedrifter
Southern Explorer

Oddometer: 1,408
The FJR has good power for heated jackets and such. The only time I would worry about power would be trying to run extra high powerd lights. I rather use the 10 watt led lights anyway.

I ran heated pants, gloves, jacket, gps, radio, cell phone charger, high beams etc. and never had an issue. The battery is very small though, you can kill it quick with things left on with the engine off.
sagedrifter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 04:16 PM   #1440
bobobob
badbadbad

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagedrifter View Post
The FJR has good power for heated jackets and such. The only time I would worry about power would be trying to run extra high powerd lights. I rather use the 10 watt led lights anyway.

I ran heated pants, gloves, jacket, gps, radio, cell phone charger, high beams etc. and never had an issue. The battery is very small though, you can kill it quick with things left on with the engine off.
Interesting info about the small battery.
Any room to go with a bigger, more powerful battery?