Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-19-2009, 08:25 PM   #1
TaZ9 OP
Happy Adventurer

Oddometer: 262
Warning!! Another IMS gas tank problem...

Last month I bought a 4.9 gallon IMS gas tank for my DR650. I have already had one bad experience with a leaky IMS tank that I had previously bought for a DRZ400 that I owned. After that problem I had sworn off aftermarket tanks...or so I thought.

I live in Colorado and like to do extended back country rides. Up until last month I had just carried extra gas in a $5.00 Wallyworld plastic gas can.

With an upcoming 1,500 mile adventure into the desert Southwest, I gave in and ordered the IMS gas tank for my DR650. I figured that surely IMS has had more than enough time time to correct the problems that it has become notorious for, but I was wrong. While prepping my bike for my upcoming ride, I unscrewed the cap and saw that the rubber insert was torn in several places and that that part of the ring seal was floating in my gas tank. I have had the tank less than a month and have not overtightened the cap. As a matter of fact, I have only filled up about 5-6 times. It is obviously an issue with poor production quality of the rubber insert.

The sad thing is that I really like the extra capacity, but get tired of constantly dealing with manufacturers that don't listen to their customers when it comes to shoddy manufacturing.

I bought the tank from justgastanks.com and have already sent then an e-mail describing the self destructing insert and am waiting on a reply. I will post as soon as I hear something.

TaZ9 screwed with this post 06-20-2009 at 10:17 AM
TaZ9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 08:45 PM   #2
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,838
Not in Ride Reports

Moved to Thumpers.

btw, Justgastanks.com now offers 5% discount to ADV inmates. Check the Vendors discount sticky.
Old 06-19-2009, 09:01 PM   #3
Watson
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 879
Post pictures of the cap damage. Are you referring to the piece on the left in this picture?

That piece floats-around on the threads a bit, and I check it everytime I fill up. On occassion, I have to push it all the way up to the base of the cap. If i didn't do this, i can see how it'd get eaten-up when putting the cap back on. Not sure I'd slam IMS for this one...

And if the cap is all yer worried about, you can get replacements...

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...t-Gas-Cap.aspx
Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 09:27 PM   #4
NMTrailboss
Team Dead End

Oddometer: 5,970
My XR650L has had an IMS 4.0 gallon tank since I bought it new in 1995 and now with almost 46,000 miles I've had no leaks or problems with it. I agree that you need to check the gas cap seal and push it all the way into the cap after every fill up or it could become caught up in the tank threads and damaged.
NMTrailboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 09:31 PM   #5
TaZ9 OP
Happy Adventurer

Yep, that's the part...the rubber insert. I too checked the insert each time I filled up, and have been very careful to not overtighten the cap. The insert tore almost all the way around the the ring area, and even cut a 1"" sliver off the outher side of the ring. Even with care the ring has come apart and split in less than a month. The insert material is not up to normal day-to-day use and is defective. I'm sure IMS has been aware of similar complaints before.

TaZ9 screwed with this post 06-20-2009 at 10:15 AM
Old 06-20-2009, 12:19 AM   #6
achesley
Old Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 3,425
Thanks for the heads up. I have an older IMS tank I bought from a guy last several weeks ago. Guess I need to check it out. Have not noticed anything unusual about it but have just filled up the bike 3 times since installing it. It doesn't leak anything from that department yet.

A '00 KLR 650 39,000 miles, A '07 1250S 77,000 actual, A '03 5.3L Chevy Truck 76,000 + '43 style dude , Simper Fi ;-)
achesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 03:38 AM   #7
greer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,694
Never had any trouble with mine either.

Sarah
Old 06-20-2009, 03:53 AM   #8
996DL
Buell me

Oddometer: 2,145
You can always get the "trouble free" Australian made Safari tank and you'll feel far better about the minor headaches with the IMS...

996DL
996DL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 06:03 AM   #9
Aussie Trev
aka DRTrev

Oddometer: 5,427
On the other hand..........

Mate and I ordered two IMS tanks from justgastanks for our DR's over here in Oz. One developed a leak and once aware of it IMS offered to send out another tank, postage and all.

We've been running on them for two years now and no probs at all.....we have nothing but praise for IMS.

cheers

"Just having a crack"
Aussie Trev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 07:07 AM   #10
scottyb
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 285
i had an IMS on my 450exc. never fit right. called IMS and they said there is variations in fit. sold it and bought aqualine. needed more capacity any way.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 07:18 AM   #11
truck6driver
The Fireman

Oddometer: 7,317
M IMS tank has been on my bike for 10 + years. No leaks. I did have to replace the cap this year since I could not find the rubber insert alone. SO I bought a new cap. There IS a quality difference between the 2 caps for sure. The old one was thicker and had IMS on it. The new one is thin and appears to be cheaply made. It doesn't have the ISM logo on it either. I'm thinking that they have farmed out the caps to another mfgr to make for them. The new gasket insert is too small for the cap and moves around alot. I have to position it everytime I have the cap off.

Over all the tank has been great other than the fuel discoloration over the years. The new cap has been a disapointment though.

Ray
Old 06-20-2009, 09:07 AM   #12
Watson
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 879
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaZ9
Yep, that's the part...the rubber insert. I too checked the insert each time I filled up, and have been very careful to not overtighten the cap. The insert tore almost all the way around the the ring area, and even cut a 1"" sliver off the outher side of the ring. Even with care the ring has come apart and split in less than a month. The insert material is not up to normal day-to-day use and is defective. I'm sure IMS has been aware of similar complaints before. No more IMS products for me!

...well, I'm not gonna swear by IMS tanks, but mine is A-OK with me. I commute on the DR everyday of the week when possible. I've put a little over 4500 miles on the bike since purchasing it last November...it came with the IMS. If yer checking the insert everytime (sometimes it helps to turn it as you push it in), and yer not overtightening bad run of luck with 'em, i guess. Try contacting IMS, not the retailer who sold it to ya. I've heard they work agressively with customers who have experienced problems.
Watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 09:24 AM   #13
TaZ9 OP
Happy Adventurer

Definitely a problem..the 5th complaint this week!

I got a quick reply from Ben Rosenthal at justgastanks.com and he wrote, "This is the 5th (problem with the rubber insert) this week!" He is having IMS send me a new one. Thanks Ben!

So if you're having the same problem, let your supplier or IMS know about it. For the price we pay for aftermarket products, the quality should be top notch.
Old 06-20-2009, 09:43 AM   #14
Klay
dreaming adventurer

Oddometer: 100,668
We have two DR650s with 4.9 IMS tanks. One has a torn insert and the the other is intact. The tanks are both seven years old.

windigo
Klay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2009, 10:45 AM   #15
XRsteve
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 254
It sounds like a problem that on newer tanks. LIke somebody mentioned, IMS probably got a different supplier for caps. My IMS tank is many years old and holding up well. I did replace the cap gasket, but it wasn't close to being new. I actually used an acerbis gasket.
XRsteve is offline   Reply With Quote