Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old Yesterday, 11:11 AM   #1
ChuckyBaby OP
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Question Need some help deciding between DR650 and DRZ400 Ė TAT and after

Hi Guys,

I know it's been discussed a thousand time, but Iíve been reading this forum (and others) too much, Iíve gathered so much information that Iím now undecided between both bikes.

Here is the plan: Iíll be doing the TAT in summer of 2016. I intend to buy the bike this summer, ride it for a while and then start modifying it for the TAT. I will most likely put an FCR card and a complete exhaust system when new and do the rest next winter in preparation for the big trip.

Apart from the TAT, the bike will be used once in a while to go to the office (street/highway), will also see some wood riding. Most likely 55/45 respectively. My yearly mileage should more or less 3000 miles.

Me: Iíve had bikes (RM80, RM125) and ATVís (Warrior 350) when I was young (Iím now 41). Then I had a street bike for 3 years (2000 Triumph ST) and then I went back to my passion and Iím now racing a Porsche 944 (road racing) since 2007. But now, Iím tired of all the work and expenses of going all around Northeast Canada and USA and I wish for something simpler. So I donít have a lot experience on dirt in my recent past, although Iíve done some auto ice racing. I have short legs, so seat height is important (a DR650 with the lowering links was more than perfect for me).

So Iíve thought of this: Maybe I could buy a DRZ400 SM and ride this summer with it, buy some wheels and go dirt once in a while.

Or just buy a DR650, mod it, lighten it and just have knobbys all the time on it.

Iím ready to make modifications to the bikes to make them appropriate for the intended purpose. But Iím not inclined to go to KTM for a better suspended bike at a higher cost (read 690 enduro R) that I will need to modify too for the TAT (bigger tank, new seat and so onÖ). Or maybe is it the way to go?

What you guys think?

Thanks

c.
ChuckyBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:30 AM   #2
slip
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 344
DRZ is a great bike, and I am sure it would be fine for the trip. But you will definitely have to get an after market seat, as the stock one will have your arse hurting after an hour. I myself would opt for the DR650. I have ridden them and I think the extra grunt and comfort would be better for such a long ride. I think the XR650L would be a good choice as well.

Current bike
2002 XR650L
slip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 11:38 AM   #3
ChuckyBaby OP
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by slip View Post
DRZ is a great bike, and I am sure it would be fine for the trip. But you will definitely have to get an after market seat, as the stock one will have your arse hurting after an hour. I myself would opt for the DR650. I have ridden them and I think the extra grunt and comfort would be better for such a long ride. I think the XR650L would be a good choice as well.
Thanks for the info!

The DR650 was/is still my first choice. But I ain't be doing the whole TAT each year. I plan on keeping the bike and do some 1 day dirt rides once or twice per month and a 3-5 day trip once per year. The rest of the time, maybe once a week, I'll go to the office on the bike.

I come from an auto racing background but I do not intent to race, although a good handling and comfortable bike is my priority. Think of it as a BMW M3. Not a Lotus Exige. I'm ready to buy a Cogent suspension kit for the DR650 if it's going to transform the bike.

c.
ChuckyBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:51 PM   #4
deputygene
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 231
DRZ and DR, both good bikes! I rode part of the TAT last year on a DR 650, my riding partner was on a DRZ 400 SM. He didn't switch wheels, just put Shinko knobs. His rear wore out kinda quick, but he never had any problems with his little fat tires. BTW, my Kenda K-270 5.10x17 rear lasted all of the 6000 miles I put on it.
deputygene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:53 PM   #5
dog54
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Dr650

I am considering a new DR650 and will be test riding one this Friday. I have been riding large street bikes for awhile and I am ready for something lighter, less complicated and reliable that can handle on/off road. In my younger days all I rode were smaller street legal dirt bikes. From what I have read and heard the DR650 should be a good choice for me. Of course, I have enjoyed ever bike that I have owned.
dog54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:55 PM   #6
SloMo228
World Class Cheapass

Oddometer: 1,763
Haven't had either (I ride the "third" option, a DR350), but got any pics of the 944?
SloMo228 is offline   Reply With Quote