Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-30-2014, 03:14 PM   #1
ibgary OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 648
For reference only: Problems with 650GS/single.

This is for reference only, not for bashing the bike or for saying you've never had a problem.

I have had a few starting/idling problems. BMW apparently fixed the problem by flashing the ECU.

In my searching I only found 3 or 4 people with the same problem.

If you have had a problem with your bike please share the symptoms and the solution if you or BMW have fixed it.

I got my bike new in April. After the last issue, ☝the bike has been great. I put about 600 miles on it since getting it back 2 weeks ago. I have about 5,600 miles so far.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

ibgary screwed with this post 10-30-2014 at 05:29 PM Reason: Spelling
ibgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 12:32 PM   #2
fundamentalbass
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
I have a bought-from-new, 2012 G650GS [Sertao]. Almost exactly 30,000 km (approx. 19,000 miles). I am just about to do the third non-run-in service.

Up to now, it has had a full BMW service history under warranty. The bike is used for commuting & some gravel roads to get to remote campsites. No serious off-roading.

Two issues, both under warranty:

(1) The usual hot start issue from the get-go. Fixed after some significant running around and multiple visits to the only central/lower North Island NZ BMW dealership. Fixed with a decompression lever. Bike now starts with a gentle touch every single time. Initially, I had no idea what the problem was and it was extremely worrying at the time & very pissed. I was stuck multiple times in various locations. (I do get to some out-of-the-way places.) In and out of the shop a couple of times. I think I was the local NZ guinea pig.

(2) Six months ago the ABS/speed sensor failed. Thus, no ABS. Took two visits to fix that. The last time it was in the shop for a week before they released it. New sensor and cable with diagnostic shenanigans.

BUT, no issues at the moment, and the bike is running very well. No too bad, all things considered. I am very happy with it. Teething problems, I hope.

The bike is now out of warranty and I am going to do my own maintenance and I have my fingers crossed nothing goes wrong on the 'computer' side of things. If it does go, I will have to pay through the nose to have BMW fix it (but only once).
Attached Images

fundamentalbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2014, 04:28 PM   #3
ibgary OP
Studly Adventurer

Thanks.
Sounds like we ride alike.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
Old 11-01-2014, 01:01 AM   #4
fundamentalbass
Adventurer

Oddometer: 29
I have been lurking at the following thread since I bought the bike: 2012 BMW G650GS Sertao Owners http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=747861

As a n00b I try not to scare myself with the generic issues posted for the G650GS. But it has been an extremely interesting resource for me.
fundamentalbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 03:43 PM   #5
ibgary OP
Studly Adventurer

Perhaps mine is just "out there".
Last fall the headlight mounting tabs broke off. Replaced under warranty.
In early June while in Wyoming I stopped for gas and noticed the front lower fender had broken off and was missing. On order under warranty.
Mid June after returning from a trip to Zion, I found the headlight assembly broken again.

🚍🐉☝