User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2012, 05:33 PM   #286
bikeneil
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 432
Helmet lock

Thanks for both replies, I figure it's better to ask people that know before I start to work on things. Thanks.
bikeneil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 07:14 PM   #287
Reconstructed
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
Reconstructed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 07:45 PM   #288
DirtRipper44
Dig Deep

Oddometer: 37
Talking 30 years later

2012 XT 250

https://mail-attachment.googleuserco...ljs9TA9ppUA84c

1982 XT250

I was 17 when i got my 82, had alot of memories with it, loved it so i decided to get the son of the great bike =)
Old 04-11-2012, 09:28 PM   #289
CajunE
sportsman

Oddometer: 76
Ride Report loop around Alabama

Hello everyone! just finished a short 4 day ride around Alabama on my xt. Just wanted to share. Riding around Alabama was one of the most enjoyable trips I have taken. Met a lot of nice and interesting people and also saw a lot of beautiful scenery. I went with two other buddies of mine who rode some pigs (XR650)

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=780984
CajunE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 07:11 PM   #290
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,629
Hello. I have an XT225 set up for off road use, it is still street legal, but so heavily modified it is not much fun on the street. It has 606 tires, no turn signals, and very stiff suspension. I mainly ride it on the street just to get it to the dirt. Now I am looking for a small displacement bike to ride around town and local paved country roads. But I am 6' 220 pounds, and too big to fit comfortably on small street only bikes. I also have a Goldwing, but it is more of a highway bike, too big to be much fun around locally, and it gets 35 mpg. So, I am looking for a more street oriented dual sport, and the XT250 seems to be the only one out there. The Honda CRf230L is too small, it feels like a mini bike compared to the XT. And the KLX250 and WR250 are too dirt oriented. So what are your opinions about the XT250 as a mostly street only bike? I was planning to put Avon Distanza tires on it.
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 11:31 PM   #291
Brods1675
Giant

Oddometer: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
Hello. I have an XT225 set up for off road use, it is still street legal, but so heavily modified it is not much fun on the street. It has 606 tires, no turn signals, and very stiff suspension. I mainly ride it on the street just to get it to the dirt. Now I am looking for a small displacement bike to ride around town and local paved country roads. But I am 6' 220 pounds, and too big to fit comfortably on small street only bikes. I also have a Goldwing, but it is more of a highway bike, too big to be much fun around locally, and it gets 35 mpg. So, I am looking for a more street oriented dual sport, and the XT250 seems to be the only one out there. The Honda CRf230L is too small, it feels like a mini bike compared to the XT. And the KLX250 and WR250 are too dirt oriented. So what are your opinions about the XT250 as a mostly street only bike? I was planning to put Avon Distanza tires on it.
I'm in Australia, so what I have to say will be metric. I'm 200cm and 115kg. I have a 1200GSA, my wife has a stock XT250 (2009). It's a live wire, even for someone of my size! It's fun in the bush and is lively on road too.

My wife's previous bike was an XT225, and that was a little ripper too!

Brods1675 screwed with this post 04-27-2012 at 11:34 PM Reason: extra info
Brods1675 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 10:09 PM   #292
kentnothstine
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 608
Booo yaaaaa

Just picked up an XT250 for the girlfriend to ride!

Kent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanantos View Post
Once your crotch gets wet it's all over.
kentnothstine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 12:38 PM   #293
gordonlee
n00b

Oddometer: 5
large gas tank

has anyone found a large gas tank for the 2012 xt250
gordonlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 12:40 PM   #294
sandalscout
blah blah blah

Oddometer: 2,046
Unfortunately, no one makes them for the XT.

Clarke does make one for the XT225, I've overlain the XT225 and 250 in photoshop and I think it's a doable swap, but will require making a new front bracket as the front mounting point is quite a bit different on the 225.

It apparently took years to get enough interested parties for Clarke to make a tank for the 225, I am not holding my breath for the 250 at all.
Old 05-07-2012, 12:34 PM   #295
150ron
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,189
New member on ADV with a 2009 XT250

Hello fellow XT250 owners, my name is Ron and i have owned my 2009 xt250 for a bit over 6 months now, and have put 3,000+ miles on the bike so far, I bought the bike litterally brand spanking new from a guy that rode it maybe once, i love this thing, and have done lots of good useful mods to it, here's a list of my mods.

TUSK handlebar risers
TUSK fork seal guards
TUSK rear fender pack
WR250R skid plate
WR250R white front bumper
TURBOCITY rear brake master cylinder guard
TRAILTECH spark plug temperature meter
#140 main jet
FMF power4 core exhaust
air/fuel screw 3 turns out
air box cover removed
jet needle shimmed
SUPERIOR SPROCKETS 16 tooth front sprocket
CYCRA probend crm's handguards
ACERBIS dual sport rear taillight/brakelight
WESTERN POWERSPORTS 3 wire dual sport turn signals with running lights, front and rear
NGK iridium spark plug
built in garage door opener
1'' copper tube spacers added to front forks
Full synthetic oil used
Battery Tender pigtails
Shinko 244 rear (new not yet installed)
Pirelli dual sport XCMH (not yet installed)
Additional tool kit on the spare side

I use this bike for everything, from freeway riding at 75+mph to the hardest trails around me, i beat the snot out of my bike, and use it to the max, it has done everything i have needed it to do, been dropped plenty of times on trails, but still runs like a champ.

I have lots and lots of trails around me, all within 10-25 miles of my house, so i usually go out dual sporting every weekend, it has been a great and comfortable bike for me.

Heres some pics i just snapped

If anyone needs any info on any of the mods ive done, ill be happy to post up pics or any details.

Looking forward to doing lots of reading on this forum,
150ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 12:44 PM   #296
NJ-Brett
Brett

Oddometer: 6,266
Look at a TU250.
Its comfortable for a full size person, has a good seat, and is a hoot to ride.
80 mpg, fuel injected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
NJ-Brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 05:45 PM   #297
MEDIC-0372 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by 150ron View Post

Nice looking bike...

The life we save may be your's...
MEDIC-0372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 07:06 PM   #298
sandalscout
blah blah blah

Oddometer: 2,046
Hey Ron, good to see you over here!
Old 05-11-2012, 08:13 PM   #299
Alacrity
Semi Pro Bar Vaulter

Oddometer: 468
After 3+ years, almost 5000 miles (figure 3/4 trail or gravel) and a good deal of hard use - mostly as a loaner bike, still working fine. Brake pads (muds eaten them up), oil changes - crankcase and fork, valve adjustment, yearly grease and air filter maint is all thats been required. 606s look about half done - not expecting anything more in the next 5k. Some crappy photos of its life with us.

Then

Now

\
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Ron > Nice Clean look, how"d you strip the decals?

Alacrity screwed with this post 05-11-2012 at 09:33 PM Reason: I suck
Alacrity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 03:11 PM   #300
Toshito
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
I have a 2008 XT250. I have the OEM Yamaha square silver back rack with a top case. Recently I bought 2 surplus night vision goggle cases (only 20$ each!) and I want to mount them as panniers.

I was thinking of fabricating my own, when I saw this: https://www.yamahagenuineparts.com/T...opcat=toppicks

Do you think that it would be sturdy enough to support the cases? Maybe I could add some reinforcement, like linking them in the back.

I know that I have other options like the happy-trails SU rack, but it's pricey when you add the shipping.

I'm a cheap bastard and I don't want to spend 400$ on luggage only to be broke and unable to ride my bike!

And no I'm not interrested in soft luggage, I live in the city and I want lockable secure luggage for when I go shopping.

Thanks!
Toshito is offline   Reply With Quote