poolman
Gnarly Poolside Adv.

Oddometer: 712
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandalscout View Post
it has slightly better MPG.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 150ron View Post
I saw horsepower listed for the new 2013 xt250 at 18HP, while the other years had 16HP, listed, also the tank is bigger at 2.6 gallons compared to 2.4.
Thanks Sandalscout and Ron,

A slightly bigger tank, a couple more horsepower, and better MPG sound like a good combination.

Thanks,

Sacred Valley of the Incas
Costa Rica Solo
poolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 06:26 PM   #587
150ron
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by poolman View Post
Thanks Sandalscout and Ron,

A slightly bigger tank, a couple more horsepower, and better MPG sound like a good combination.

Thanks,
+ its a really great looking bike, the graphics and the fender colors on it look great imo.

not to mention no more having to use the choke.
Old 09-24-2012, 07:12 PM   #588
poolman
Gnarly Poolside Adv.

Oddometer: 712
[QUOTE=150ron;19671685]

not to mention no more having to use the choke, or needing to run the float bowl dry before turning off the engine, or rejetting the carb for altitude...[/QUOTE]

Right you are!

Sacred Valley of the Incas
Costa Rica Solo

poolman screwed with this post 09-24-2012 at 07:35 PM
poolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 01:18 AM   #589
FLYNLOMOTO
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
The throttle is not snatchy whatsoever and the seat is good to decent. I had my first ride in jeans and it wasn't uncomfortable. When I ride to the "track" here in my riding gear I will wear some Troy Bayliss style padded shorts under my riding pants. These provide extra cushion (comfort) and protection in the event of a crash, and I do crash in the dirt/mud from time to time.

Mods arrived in the mail: Barkbusters in Black, Wolfman mimi tank bag, TTO Oil Temp gauge for starters. I am debating swapping the handlebar for the Pro Taper SE unit, but I think I will try to kill the stock one first before switching. The bike is TOOOO quiet, so I am going for the FMF slip on. To bad b/c I like the look of the stock exhaust cover.
I already ordered the Yami factory bash plate which will arrive in a few weeks.

The only problem so far is that my owners manual is entirely in Japanese. Can anyone send me a new 2013 FI Owners Manual? I can paypal you.
Hong Kong
FLYNLOMOTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 01:19 PM   #590
lonewolf97
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,196
LoneWolf97

I'm looking for an xt250. But found a 2005 xt 225 for 2gs. Is there much diff. in power between the 225 and 250? I've ridden a Dr 200. It wasn't very strong. But I'm used to riding a Dr 650. Looking for a smaller light weight bike I can put my daughter on.
lonewolf97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 07:43 PM   #591
Little Bike
Air/Clutz Sue

Oddometer: 1,145
First time on the freeway and at about 65 - 70 mph the front tire wobbled. I did an internet search and it seems like Yamaha put some cheap tires on. It is just the front or both? Anybody got the dealer to replace? I have a 2012
thanks

V-Strom 650 Adventure "Maxwell"
DR-Z400s "Little Donkey2"
Little Bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 12:06 AM   #592
FLYNLOMOTO
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
The Trailway Tires from Bridgestone should be pretty good. I find that I need to move closer to the tank and/or loosen
my grip on the bars to reduce head shake. Every "knobby" tire will head shake at speed but there are ways to reduce it.
Hong Kong
FLYNLOMOTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 05:55 AM   #593
sandalscout
blah blah blah

Oddometer: 2,046
Which tires are on the bike? I know that early 250s had a different tire than later ones. I know that several people had wobble issues with the Chen Shing tires that are/were used in the US, but I'm not sure that those are the tires still in use.

I didn't have a wobble problem, but I didn't care for that tire very much at all.
Old 09-26-2012, 06:07 AM   #594
Apertureguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 347
My 2012 has the Bridgestones and they're great so far.

Been up to 65 with no issue and just fine on the trails I have done.
Apertureguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 07:38 AM   #595
Little Bike
Air/Clutz Sue

I checked last night and have the Bridgestones. hmmmmm, better call the dealership today to see if the front wheel is true. The tire looks fine, but I'll check the pressure too. grrrrr

Old 09-26-2012, 08:09 AM   #596
ALinUTAH
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 611
It should be smooth as butter on the highway. Check your air pressure. And get the front wheel off the ground by setting the bike on a stump or a bucket or something, then spin the front wheel. Watch it in relation to the little half fender to see if it's round. I've ridden with a front tire not seated on the bead quite right and it was still smooth at speed. It wobbled at slower speeds.

(You shouldn't have ridden the bike without checking the tire pressure. Just sayin. Get in the habit.) -al
ALinUTAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 10:28 AM   #597
150ron
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by lonewolf97 View Post
I'm looking for an xt250. But found a 2005 xt 225 for 2gs. Is there much diff. in power between the 225 and 250? I've ridden a Dr 200. It wasn't very strong. But I'm used to riding a Dr 650. Looking for a smaller light weight bike I can put my daughter on.
The 250 does have more power then the 225, not by much, id say by around 3-4HP, but the 225 is lighter which might be better for your daughter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bike View Post
First time on the freeway and at about 65 - 70 mph the front tire wobbled. I did an internet search and it seems like Yamaha put some cheap tires on. It is just the front or both? Anybody got the dealer to replace? I have a 2012
thanks
Ive heard about the front wheel wobble, and yes, it was in the earlier 08-09 models with the cheng shin tires, mine never had the wobble and was very smooth on the freeway, ive also seen a post where a person removed the little black fender right above the front wheel and he said the wobble then went away, i removed mine anyways, something to try out, its only 4 bolts.

congrats on getting a 2012, lets see some pics.
Old 09-26-2012, 12:05 PM   #598
rivercreep
Banned

Oddometer: 3,243
Wheel wobble...

Not only were the stock Cheng-Shits on my 08 out of round, the rims were also not true.
Got the dealer to properly tension/true the wheels but they wouldn't replace the tires. The wobble was actually livable with the the truing of the wheels. (they also did a rebalance under warranty)
I only kept my 08 for about a yr = started rusting away too badly after my first winters commute.

Shame their Q.C. sucks or I'd buy another since Suzuki doesn't make a 250 D.S. (or 200) anymore.

What I'm really on this thread for, is to wait/watch to see of Yamaha has their fuel pump problems sorted out yet. (our 09 125 Zumas failed and I've read the same about many a WR250R)
By the time I get my next bike, I'll be in SoCal so...not rust issues.
rivercreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 06:34 PM   #599
Little Bike
Air/Clutz Sue

Talked to the dealership today - I'm going to check the air pressure Friday afternoon and if it looks fine it's back to the dealership on Saturday. Fortunately the dealership is on the other side of the hills - it's a pretty fun ride. However, I've done that ride 3 times in the last week......would be nice this one time if the dealership was in town.

Old 09-26-2012, 06:36 PM   #600
Little Bike
Air/Clutz Sue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALinUTAH View Post
It should be smooth as butter on the highway. Check your air pressure. And get the front wheel off the ground by setting the bike on a stump or a bucket or something, then spin the front wheel. Watch it in relation to the little half fender to see if it's round. I've ridden with a front tire not seated on the bead quite right and it was still smooth at speed. It wobbled at slower speeds.

(You shouldn't have ridden the bike without checking the tire pressure. Just sayin. Get in the habit.) -al
Yeah, the air pressure. I made the mistake of assuming the dealership checked that before I took the bike for a test drive. You know what happens when you assume!