Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2012, 08:34 PM   #631
LarryGee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 357
Going to go look at an 08 XT250 tomorrow. Thinking it would be a good alternative to the F800GS in the narrow trails and sugar sand in and around Central FL. I will trailer it to where I would ride so not concerned about highway speeds.

I'm 56 and not interested in screaming down single tracks. Just some nice casual woods riding with a fair amount of sand/mud. I'm about 200lbs, 6' 1". Is this bike going to do what I want it to do?
LarryGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 08:58 PM   #632
kentnothstine
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 603
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryGee View Post
Going to go look at an 08 XT250 tomorrow. Thinking it would be a good alternative to the F800GS in the narrow trails and sugar sand in and around Central FL. I will trailer it to where I would ride so not concerned about highway speeds.

I'm 56 and not interested in screaming down single tracks. Just some nice casual woods riding with a fair amount of sand/mud. I'm about 200lbs, 6' 1". Is this bike going to do what I want it to do?

I picked up an 08 this last spring with street tires. I am 6'6" 240-250. I also have a drz400s, so that is my comparator.
I feel like the xt is a little light on the power at high speeds. If I have a strong headwind or going up a steep hill then I can not use 5th but the low end is ok. By no means is this a power house. If you're planning on taking much extra weight with you often and for long periods of time, then I would look at somethinig else. It is nice and light, very flickable in my opinion.

That being said, I love it, it is simple and easy to maintan, great as a second bike. I can do around town and low speed with little to no trouble. I need to get the street rubber off and get some dual sport tires. I feel like it would do great with dirt / dual sport tires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanantos View Post
Once your crotch gets wet it's all over.
kentnothstine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 04:27 AM   #633
LarryGee
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentnothstine View Post
If I have a strong headwind or going up a steep hill then I can not use 5th but the low end is ok. By no means is this a power house. If you're planning on taking much extra weight with you often and for long periods of time, then I would look at somethinig else. It is nice and light, very flickable in my opinion.

Thanks for that insight. Being in MI, your "hills" are probably our FL "mountains" and we don't have that to worry about. I am already 40-50 lbs lighter than you so that helps a little. Finally, I wouldn't be taking this bike on any long rides. If I'm going to be dual sporting then I'll take the GS. Pavement only, I'll take the KGT.

I was looking for a little affirmation from someone who actually owns one and I think you gave it to me.... Thanks Again...
LarryGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:42 AM   #634
150ron
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,175
Quote:

For what you are planning to do with it, should be just fine, might be a tight fit for you at 6 feet tall, but some bar risers and a coleman/stearns atv seat cover will help you raise it up a bit to be more comfortable.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:02 AM   #635
EZman671
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
2008 XT250 Axel Nut Size

What size wrench is required for the two rear axel nuts?

What size are the front nuts for wheel removal.

Might pick up a 2008 and may need to take a wheel or two off to fit in my van.
EZman671 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 10:29 AM   #636
HeadPoseur
Adventurer

Oddometer: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by EZman671 View Post
What size wrench is required for the two rear axel nuts?

What size are the front nuts for wheel removal.

Might pick up a 2008 and may need to take a wheel or two off to fit in my van.
Hi. The front wheel takes a 17mm and a 19mm and the rear takes a 19mm and a 22mm.
HeadPoseur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 11:34 AM   #637
EZman671
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadPoseur View Post
Hi. The front wheel takes a 17mm and a 19mm and the rear takes a 19mm and a 22mm.

Thanks!
Old 10-12-2012, 01:41 PM   #638
EZman671
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 150ron View Post
Yes matt, running foam's now, its great

Red uni first and then one black one, both very lightly oiled, bike runs great! It seems to run very good with just one black foam as well, but i put the red in there, to catch the bigger stuff first, sort of like a prefilter.

You ever take more pics of the KLR?
On another bike I used swimming pool skimmer filters. Kinda like hairnet material. Works great for a cheap and easy prefilter.
Old 10-12-2012, 02:54 PM   #639
Baja_Bound
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
First time to take the XT250 on a little adventure ride! We went to Hidden Falls Adventure Park located in Marble Falls, Texas and it did well in everything but boulder climbing.

Baja_Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 06:22 PM   #640
150ron
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baja_Bound View Post
First time to take the XT250 on a little adventure ride! We went to Hidden Falls Adventure Park located in Marble Falls, Texas and it did well in everything but boulder climbing.

Great pic!
Old 10-12-2012, 06:53 PM   #641
MEDIC-0372 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 249
Quote:

I have 17,000 miles on my 2008 XT-250 and think that it should do what you want. Make sure that you have the right tires for that sand/mud.

The best thing is to sit on one and see how it feels to you.

Enjoy...

The life we save may be your's...
MEDIC-0372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 06:59 PM   #642
MEDIC-0372 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 249
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cameraman View Post
Hi Guys n Gals,

well I'm back with another XT250 Serow, which has joined my little fleet of a 1998 XT225 Serow (Japan Spec) bike and my 2003 build but 2010 registered XT225 (Brazilian Spec).

So ladies and gentlemen, please say hello to my 2005, 20th Anniversary bike, which has been named as Team Bjerg, due to her spending time in Denmark.

And here's me with a cheesy grin!

Reggie

Wow...looks GREAT!!

The life we save may be your's...
MEDIC-0372 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 11:18 PM   #643
The Cameraman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEDIC-0372 View Post
Wow...looks GREAT!!

Hi Mate,

shame I can't say the same about the owner!
The Cameraman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 09:42 AM   #644
CajunE
sportsman

Oddometer: 76
Coleman Seat cushion

[QUOTE=150ron;19362962]This thing is amazing for the money, i honestly feel they should charge tripple what they charge for it, i should've done this the first day i got the bike, tis awesome! i also added 1/2 of memory foam under it, raised the seat heigh by about and 1 1/2 it seems like, posture feels better, legs arent that cramped anymore, now i know why many said this was the best 20+ bucks they spent on their bike, it also makes it wider, i highly recommend this seat cover, its a deal and a half for the money, and fits fine on the bike, imo looks pretty good too.

Hey man, It's been a while since I have been on. Very busy with school and teaching that I haven't had time to ride or go through the messages on ADV. I see that you put a Coleman seat cushion on. I also see that you like it or ecstatic over it. quick question, how is it secured to the seat? is it wrapped under the seat? You also said you put memory foam under it. Did you fabric glue it to the Coleman seat pad? or is it just underneath it? I have been looking at them every time I step foot in Wal-Mart. let me know. Thanks
CajunE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 06:54 PM   #645
150ron
Beastly Adventurer

I removed the stock straps that came with the seat cover and just tied bungee cords from side to side, that way it just stretches over the seat and stays in place, the foam i just put between the stock seat and the seat cover, never moved, no glue needed.

pick one up, definately worth the money.