Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2013, 03:00 PM   #886
ALinUTAH
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 559
I chose the XT because I wanted a new bike that was old school, meaning simple, air-cooled and carbed. The choices were XT250 or CRF230L. If I decide some day that I want a fancier 250 for more power, it will be a WR. No question about it. Al
ALinUTAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 12:08 AM   #887
FLYNLOMOTO
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
I have had the 2011 Kawi KLX 250, great bike but the XT 250 is way better save on the suspension. Unless you are doing jumps or riding that requires fully adjustable and heavily damped suspension, the XT beats the KLX in lightness, simplicity, reliability, dimensional size, and seat hight (everything that REALLY matters).

I'm just not a Honda guy. My 2012 fuel injected XT is awesome!
Hong Kong
FLYNLOMOTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 06:06 AM   #888
sandalscout
blah blah blah

Oddometer: 1,873
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYNLOMOTO View Post
I have had the 2011 Kawi KLX 250, great bike but the XT 250 is way better save on the suspension. Unless you are doing jumps or riding that requires fully adjustable and heavily damped suspension, the XT beats the KLX in lightness, simplicity, reliability, dimensional size, and seat hight (everything that REALLY matters).

I'm just not a Honda guy. My 2012 fuel injected XT is awesome!
Interesting perspective. I know that many love the low seat height of the XT, and I did too when I first got mine, but I've "grown up" into a bigger bike, and I don't mind the significantly higher seat on my KLR now, and the greatly increased seat-to-peg distance makes for a MUCH more comfortable ride (for me).

Interesting that you like the XT more than the KLX. I really like the KLX, and have been considering snagging a used one in the next year or two. It seems, to me, to be nearly as simple as the XT, weighs less than 4 pounds more on paper (and I suspect might actually be about 5-10 pounds lighter in real life based on numbers I've heard before ---- 305 for the XT, 295 for the KLX), and the better suspension sounds good to me.
Old 03-21-2013, 01:06 PM   #889
frog13
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,133
XT 250's

Build wise,what does the XT community believe the "bad/aggravating" points of a XT250 are?, if any. Meaning.......rims/spokes,changing oil,fasteners,seat removal,location of the battery,weak "alternator" output....stuff like that.I was looking at a 2012 today and it caught my eye....just sitting on it,the seat seemed quite comfy?....but, then again,I thought the seat on my xr650L was comfy too....as folks thought of me as crazy then also?. Can the xt250 hold 60 mph for extended periods......20-30 mile stretches?. Does the gas tank come off fairly easy....it's FI,and I noticed it had similiar tank fins like my former 650L....which seemed to catch wind(disrupting stability on the road?). Last question....whats the real world MPG if your traveling 60 mph?. TIA
frog13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 01:55 PM   #890
Chiriqui Charlie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 282
I ride my XT all over Panama, Costa Rica, and Nicaragua. On an open road I just set the speed to 60 or 63 mph and relax, sometimes for hours at a time. It would go faster, but I also like to enjoy the scenery. I have just 13,000 miles on it, changed tires at 8,000, brake pads at 11,000, and oil every 3,000, nothing else. Put on a Seat Concepts seat, makes a big difference for me on long trips. Powerful enough to pass on hills, very nimble in cities, gets about 65 mpg. What more could I ask for?

As for negatives: The gas tank is too small, down here gas stations can be far between.

Chiriqui Charlie screwed with this post 03-21-2013 at 02:04 PM
Chiriqui Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 02:20 PM   #891
ALinUTAH
Studly Adventurer

My biggest complaint is that I can't get a bigger gas tank. I carry a 2gal rotopax with me most of the time so I get by, but that's a lot of weight on the subframe, in addition to camp, and it's a slight pain. It gives me a 300 mile range. The stock 2.6gal tank will take you 160 or so depending.

The air filter is a throw-away paper filter. To my knowledge there is no K&N or foam filter available. I blow it out best I can throughout the season and buy a new one every spring. $17 IIRC.

The seat is torture just like on about every bike. Seat concepts is awesome and inexpensive.

The suspension is probably the weak point, if you demand a lot from a suspension. If you stay on the ground and don't try to hit the rough stuff fast and hard it's good enough. I ride stuff down around Moab that is as technical as I care to get and I do just fine. But most people would call me slow. I prefer to consider myself a "finesse" rider. LOL. If you try to keep up with guys who think everything is a race then you will probably be disappointed.

I have read complaints about the wheels, but I haven't bent one in 8k miles. OEM tires always suck. I like the Michelin T63.

I'm not an electronic gadget guy so I can't comment on alt output.

Real-world 60mph for extended periods is no problem. 70mph not so much. Steep hills and strong headwinds will challenge even 60mph, though. That would be the biggest downside to this bike for most people. It takes a certain frame of mind to tour around on a bike like this (or any of the air-cooled 250s). Stay off the big highways and out of traffic, which IMO is a good recipe for a road trip on any bike. I do 90% of my miles on dirt roads and jeep trails.

I don't spend a lot of time doing 60mph on slab, but I would say you can count on 60-65mpg. I get 70-75mpg when leisurely cruising around on dirt.

BTW, this might be relevant: These are the opinions of a guy pushing 50 who isn't in a hurry or concerned with impressing anybody. -al

Quote:
Originally Posted by frog13 View Post
Build wise,what does the XT community believe the "bad/aggravating" points of a XT250 are?, if any. Meaning.......rims/spokes,changing oil,fasteners,seat removal,location of the battery,weak "alternator" output....stuff like that.I was looking at a 2012 today and it caught my eye....just sitting on it,the seat seemed quite comfy?....but, then again,I thought the seat on my xr650L was comfy too....as folks thought of me as crazy then also?. Can the xt250 hold 60 mph for extended periods......20-30 mile stretches?. Does the gas tank come off fairly easy....it's FI,and I noticed it had similiar tank fins like my former 650L....which seemed to catch wind(disrupting stability on the road?). Last question....whats the real world MPG if your traveling 60 mph?. TIA
Old 03-21-2013, 02:54 PM   #892
ALinUTAH
Studly Adventurer

I missed a few of your questions...

Changing oil is easy. If I stand the bike up vertically I can even keep most of it out of my skid plate. Filter is easy to get to. Check level thru a glass window.

Seat comes off with two bolts under the rear fender. Air filter is in the airbox under it, held down by a cover with two screws. Battery is under one of the side panels. Removing panels and tank is just a matter of removing allen head screws. I think you can do everything with 3 or 4 wrenches. Spark plug is very easy to get to.

Getting the carb out requires removing several bolts that hold in the airbox and sliding it to the rear. No biggie. Oh wait, you said it was EFI, not sure about that. You will also have a pump in the tank I guess.

Adjusting the rear shock preload requires that you remove it which is easy enough with the rear wheel off the ground. The upper bolt is near the airbox so you have to remove the side panel IIRC. This is all from memory so I may have a few details wrong. But I don't think any of it is difficult. -al
Old 03-21-2013, 03:00 PM   #893
sandalscout
blah blah blah

Oddometer: 1,873
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALinUTAH View Post
This is all from memory so I may have a few details wrong. But I don't think any of it is difficult. -al
I don't recall anything being terribly difficult, but I did note that it is a little bit more compact than other bikes, and I felt like my hands were a bit too big while working on it at times.
Old 03-22-2013, 12:40 AM   #894
The Cameraman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by frog13 View Post
Hi Frog,

the XT250 will cruise all day at 60mph, I've done this on a regular basis for my 400 mile round trips to London.

The fuel tank comes off really easy, just remove the side panels, three tank bolts and the fuel lines.

Real World fuel economy at a steady 60mph cruise is 80mpg. Slow it down to 56mph and you'll get nearer 90mpg. Have have broken to 100mpg barrier a couple of times.

Regards

Reggie
The Cameraman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 08:01 AM   #895
ALinUTAH
Studly Adventurer

Imperial gallons? Al
Old 03-22-2013, 10:17 AM   #896
The Cameraman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 218
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALinUTAH View Post
Imperial gallons? Al
yes
The Cameraman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:17 AM   #897
jeepkevin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 74
5600 miles on my XT so far and I agree with everything others have commented on. My 2 complaints have been the overall height of the bike and the suspension. I built some raising links for the rear and added a small spacer to the front springs and raised the oil level slightly. I'm much happier with this. I'm 6' and thought the bike felt a little small for me. One could also complain about the fuel capacity but after a couple of hours in the stock seat I'm ready to get off and take a break. 60-63 mph I agree is the happy spot for cruising. I played with the jets, opened up the exhaust a little bit, and add to the intake opening of the airbox. She is easier to start, pulls hard and strong, but has dropped mpg down to 50-60 range. I'm ok with that.
jeepkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 01:50 PM   #898
Willwilkins
Dr. Topbox

Oddometer: 615
I love mine

Say what you like, think what you like but I say the XT is the perfect bike for loading onto a wooden fishing boat to cross a lake on the Karakoram Highway in Pakistan.

My biggest ride yet. Oz to UK. Read all about it here
http://www.wollongongtowoolwich.co.uk
Willwilkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 09:41 AM   #899
Jeepguy2
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
I am thinking about buying an xt250 or a new crf250l. So I have enjoyed reading this thread. I am leaning heavily toward a used xt250 between 2008 to 2012, but also not opposed to buying new. I do have a question about the Fi models though. If your battery dies can you push start a Fi model, or do you have to jump it? I'm thinking that if your battery is completely dead the computer & injector wouldn't be able to function without jumper cables providing the energy required to function properly. Although If you had a little power it might be enough to work the Fi system but not enough to start the bike & you could push/coast start it. Second question do the new Fi models perform as well as a carb model with the bigger jet & fuel screw turned out 3 times? These seem like neat little bikes & a lot of fun. Thanks for all the post & pictures, I'm so looking forward to this type of riding.
Jeepguy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 10:02 AM   #900
tommu56
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepguy2 View Post
I am thinking about buying an xt250 or a new crf250l. So I have enjoyed reading this thread. I am leaning heavily toward a used xt250 between 2008 to 2012, but also not opposed to buying new. I do have a question about the Fi models though. If your battery dies can you push start a Fi model, or do you have to jump it? I'm thinking that if your battery is completely dead the computer & injector wouldn't be able to function without jumper cables providing the energy required to function properly. Although If you had a little power it might be enough to work the Fi system but not enough to start the bike & you could push/coast start it. Second question do the new Fi models perform as well as a carb model with the bigger jet & fuel screw turned out 3 times? These seem like neat little bikes & a lot of fun. Thanks for all the post & pictures, I'm so looking forward to this type of riding.
My daughter has a 2012 but the battery hasn't ever died.
and it has sat for 3 months.
It needs the fuel pump to the injection = dead battery no fuel pump wont start
tommu56 is offline   Reply With Quote