Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-23-2013, 03:50 PM   #901
frog13
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,254
All good responses....great info!.I also noticed on the FI 2012 I was looking at,on the right side of the case (rear brake side) what looked to be a "plug" where a kick starter use to be installed ( back years ago when bikes had such things?).Anyone ever dig inside the case to see if it is possible to put a kicker on these?.....the 2009 TW200 I have has this option.( Bay Area Yamaha in Oregon.....$200.00 shipped). TIA
frog13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 07:36 PM   #902
sandalscout
blah blah blah

Oddometer: 2,027
Quote:
Originally Posted by frog13 View Post
All good responses....great info!.I also noticed on the FI 2012 I was looking at,on the right side of the case (rear brake side) what looked to be a "plug" where a kick starter use to be installed ( back years ago when bikes had such things?).Anyone ever dig inside the case to see if it is possible to put a kicker on these?.....the 2009 TW200 I have has this option.( Bay Area Yamaha in Oregon.....$200.00 shipped). TIA
I looked into this, briefly, on my 2009. There is a "boss" there, but it's not actually machined out all of the way. I've fairly certain that the 2012s are the same way. I have a feeling that it might be possible to retrofit a TW kick start kit to the XT, but it would, at least, require some machining to get the case bored out to accept the seal and shaft.
Old 03-23-2013, 10:29 PM   #903
Rick
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 339
I think the 2013 is the FI model. I have the 2012 model and it's got a carb.

For issues, the only thing I think I'd like to change is the seat height. I'd like it to be an inch higher so I may either upgrade the suspension sometime this year. Other than that, I think it's very good for what it is. A decent starter bike. Eventually, I will probably sell it and buy something more powerful such as a DRZ400 or WR250R.
Old 03-26-2013, 09:01 AM   #904
150ron
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,183
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick's KLR View Post
I think the 2013 is the FI model. I have the 2012 model and it's got a carb.

For issues, the only thing I think I'd like to change is the seat height. I'd like it to be an inch higher so I may either upgrade the suspension sometime this year. Other than that, I think it's very good for what it is. A decent starter bike. Eventually, I will probably sell it and buy something more powerful such as a DRZ400 or WR250R.
For seat height you can do this, cheap and easy.

Coleman/Stearns ATV seat cover, available for around 20 bucks at Walmart or online (amazon/ebay)

I went from the XT250 to a DRZ400S, lovin it.
Old 03-26-2013, 11:24 AM   #905
frog13
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 150ron View Post
For seat height you can do this, cheap and easy.

Coleman/Stearns ATV seat cover, available for around 20 bucks at Walmart or online (amazon/ebay)

I went from the XT250 to a DRZ400S, lovin it.
Is the DRZ400's tall seat height an issue for you off road?.
Old 03-26-2013, 12:15 PM   #906
150ron
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,183
Quote:
Originally Posted by frog13 View Post
Is the DRZ400's tall seat height an issue for you off road?.
Yes, but i am only 5'9 with a 30 inch inseam, on the road it is fine, i can have both feet down (toes only), looking into maybe lowering it by an inch or so, i still manage fine off road, but would like to be able to flat foot the bike for sure like i used to be able to with the xt.
Old 03-30-2013, 12:43 PM   #907
CajunE
sportsman

Oddometer: 76
Mods needed to ride in Colorado

Hello guys, I am going to Silverton, Colorado in July and riding several loops around the area, i need to know what type of changes if any do I have to do with jetting? I currently have a 140 main jet size when riding in 8,000-12,000 ft do I need to go to a smaller jet? If so what size? I was told that for the short time that i would be there that it wouldn't be necessary to change the jetting. Anyone that has any experience riding in this elevation with an xt 250 that has a carb please let me know. Thank you
CajunE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:36 PM   #908
joeydzz
The King

Oddometer: 7
here is a couple shots of my 2008 xt250
joeydzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 05:13 PM   #909
lonewolf97
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,193
My daughter's 2009 xt250 and my 97 dr 650 after a day of trail
riding in the uwharrie national forest.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
Old 03-31-2013, 07:23 PM   #910
frog13
Beastly Adventurer

Your Dr and the XT "look" close in seat height?.....did you lower the DR or is it an optical illusion.
Old 04-01-2013, 03:45 AM   #911
lonewolf97
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,193
I lowered the Dr when I bought it in 97 new by screwing out on the rear shock preloaded spring. It makes it too soft off road.
It needs a suspension upgrade. The Dr seat is a couple inches higher than the stock xt seat. we are both short people.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:26 PM   #912
Rick
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 339
Quote:
Originally Posted by 150ron View Post
Yes, but i am only 5'9 with a 30 inch inseam, on the road it is fine, i can have both feet down (toes only), looking into maybe lowering it by an inch or so, i still manage fine off road, but would like to be able to flat foot the bike for sure like i used to be able to with the xt.
I bought one of those seat pads from Walmart. I didn't like how it mounted but ran across your thread over at xt225.com and used paracord and it worked fine. Took it for a trail ride and liked the change.

Around here you ride in the mud. I couldn't image riding a bike that I couldn't flat foot on the trail. It's the difference between spending a lot of time picking the bike up or managing it through the slick stuff.

While I lust after bikes like the DRZ for their power, I can't talk myself out of the XT because it keeps me from breaking stuff like legs and hips...
Old 04-02-2013, 08:40 AM   #913
sdthorpe
Adventurer... yeah right!

Oddometer: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by CajunE View Post
Hello guys, I am going to Silverton, Colorado in July and riding several loops around the area, i need to know what type of changes if any do I have to do with jetting? I currently have a 140 main jet size when riding in 8,000-12,000 ft do I need to go to a smaller jet? If so what size? I was told that for the short time that i would be there that it wouldn't be necessary to change the jetting. Anyone that has any experience riding in this elevation with an xt 250 that has a carb please let me know. Thank you
Doesn't look like you're gonna get an answer here, maybe post up a thread in the Rockies Forum?
sdthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 05:11 PM   #914
ALinUTAH
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 607
Re: jetting for Colorado.

I live at 7700 ft and ride up to about 10k regularly. I jetted the main down 2 sizes from stock, which is a 135 IIRC, so that means I have a 130. My local yamaha dealer had jets. Plus I flip the air filter cover to flow more air. My plug is still a little black. I can feel a big difference between having having the airbox open and closed even with the 130 jet. BTW, I have stock exhaust. If you try to ride at 10-12k with a 140 you will run terribly rich. You could probably get away with it if you just open up the airbox by flipping the cover, but you will lack any kind of top end on the highway. If you have a pipe you will want to be a little richer than me of course.

I assume you have richened your pilot too. That's easy enough to adjust. I have stock pilot jet with screw at 2 turns. It starts easy. Or at the very least you could just bump your idle speed up to compensate for the rich idle as you gain elevation. It will probably not want to idle at all the way you are set up now. -al
ALinUTAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 06:08 PM   #915
Canuman
Crusty & Unobliging

Oddometer: 4,544
'81 XT250 Shock?

I have an '81 that's been a long-term project. Finally, after several years and too much money, it's about to lurch its way into the sun light. I need to replace various cables and clean up a few bits, but she's a cool old-school dual sport. I've been stymied for a rear shock. The KYB on the back is long gone, and I don't want to pay $500 for a shock on a bike that might be worth a grand on a very good day. Anyone have any suggestions?
hONORARY mEMBER fIRST aMERICAN cHAPTER tEAM nONGA (pROVISIONAL wING)
Canuman is offline   Reply With Quote