Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-24-2011, 03:57 PM   #1
Viperject OP
finally dirty

Oddometer: 49
WR250R hand guards & skid plate suggestions?

Yes, I used the search function. Yes, I turned up threads with 25,000+ replies. Search Nazis, take deep breaths and calm yourselves.

I've turned up several skid plate options of seemingly similar construction with wildly varying prices. I'm considering this one, but I wonder if its solid, wrap-around design will retain engine heat. Perhaps there is something out there that is both strong and allows superior air-flow..?

SKID PLATE BASH GUARD YAMAHA WR250R/X 2008 to 2011

Handguards are another matter. There are lots of so-called "universal fit" applications available... so many, in fact, that I don't know where to begin. I want a simple aluminum or steel bar to protect the controls in warm weather, to which I can attach non-vented plastic or vinyl guards to deflect wind in cold weather. Something that doesn't require cutting or drilling of factory parts, preferably.

Suggestions appreciated. And links if you have them...
Viperject is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 04:23 PM   #2
scoprire
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 197
I've got a flatland skidplate on my WR250R. It looks pretty much like the one you've shown. No problems w/ heat. I rode in about 95 degree heat and pretty humid a few weeks ago w/ no problems at all.

I've also got Zeta armor handguards w/ the XC protectors. Well made. Saved me on one drop already. When I bought them, I had the stock 7/8 bars. I later changed to fat bars and all I had to replace was the mounts to the bars; nice not to have to replace the entire guard. It's only a couple of screws to install/remove the protectors, and it looks like any of their protectors can be used w/ the armor guards.

No one can see you posing in a blizzard.
scoprire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 04:49 PM   #3
DNF
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 404
I just put on a Ricochet guard on. Like it so far. Doesn't cover the hose though. Easy to install. Rode a few thousand feet uphill today on goat trails and it was 30C out.
DNF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 06:05 PM   #4
scottmac
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,502
I've got a Flatland skid plate on mine and like it.

Handguards?

Highway Dirtbikes. Do it right the first time, awesome stuff. Fat bars are need though.

http://www.highwaydirtbikes.com/HDB_Shop/
scottmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 08:56 PM   #5
AZ TOM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,581
Flatlander, better coverage!
AZ TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 09:30 PM   #6
Oh2RideMore
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,267
get the hdb guards

I have the flatland plate, and like it alot. It has saved my case numerous times on rough rocky terrain. The cycra pro bend guards, zeta version, are another story. I wish I would have researched them further before buying. As they can rotate up, the throttle side rotated up and busted my banjo bolt fitting on master cylinder, letting air in on a mild lowside. Front brakes were gone until I bleed brakes again. Highway dirtbike guards look to have a more secure mounting system, and are heavier gauge aluminum.
Old 07-24-2011, 09:47 PM   #7
Jäger
Osons

Oddometer: 790
I have the Ricochet... works as advertised. I do wish all the common manufacturers were a little more generous in protecting that hose, however.

Handguards. Cycra pro-bends with the triple clamp mount. If those guards rotate with the triple clamp mount - you'll probably have much bigger problems...
Jäger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 06:28 PM   #8
AzWR250R
n00b

Oddometer: 4
I have a skid plate (Flatland I believe) and I am very happy with it. No heat issues here yet in 100-115 degree heat however I am not doing much trail riding in that kind of heat.

Also, I am very happy with my Enduro Engineering Evolution hand guards. Strong, great price and spare parts available in case you need them without buying a complete set.
AzWR250R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 07:08 PM   #9
what broke now
Petroleum Brother

Oddometer: 1,240
"Cycra pro-bends with the triple clamp mount. If those guards rotate with the triple clamp mount"

I never understood the point of the guard attaching entirely to the handlebar. Triple clamp mounts are structurally superior.
what broke now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 08:40 AM   #10
Cruz
Lost but laughing.

Oddometer: 5,782
http://en.axp-racing.com/n-777/Phd-E...77-AX1037.html

xronly
Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 05:18 PM   #11
LukeDuke25
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Flatland makes the best plate for the WR250. In face, they just came out with a new one that had extended ears. They are one of their best selling plates. http://www.enduroarmor.com/flatland-...a-skid-plates/
LukeDuke25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 06:01 AM   #12
mts49
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by what broke now View Post
"Cycra pro-bends with the triple clamp mount. If those guards rotate with the triple clamp mount"

I never understood the point of the guard attaching entirely to the handlebar. Triple clamp mounts are structurally superior.

THIS.

Even if you dont get the Cycra Pro-Bends, I saw a Zeta triple clamp pinch bolt mount that could be used with most standard handguards.
mts49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 12:17 PM   #13
rmax
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 186
I went with the Highway Dirtbikes handgards and mirrors. They’re a little pricey but they offer great protection and can be ordered with integrated turn signals (not shown). The mirrors are great, they easily fold in when you don’t want to use them. I generally keep at least one of them out. They also fold in when they brush against a tree. I’ve had numerous drops and again they fold in instead of breaking.

http://www.highwaydirtbikes.com/HDB_Shop/

rmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 12:37 AM   #14
Lucky:)
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 220
Question

What size expander insert fits perfectly into the stock handlebar for WR250R?
Lucky:) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2013, 06:44 AM   #15
VxZeroKnots
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,516
+! for HDB handguards. they are the best system out there.

No bike does everything perfectly. In fact, no bike does anything until someone gets on it to ride.

VxZeroKnots is online now   Reply With Quote