Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-25-2009, 07:04 PM   #1
G600 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 392
Yamaha TT600RE – a few questions .

Hi all.

I am new here, just bought a 2005 TT600RE. Love the bike so far, I have had it for 10 days and ridden 1000 km. Great fun on and off road, it is a fine do-it-all bike.

I have a few questions:

1.Does the TT600RE have the same engine as the XT600E? Or does the TT600RE use the same engine as the TTR600, only with the electric start added? The TTR600 (non-electric start) engine is supposed to be 30 mm. narrower than the same year XT is that true? Why?

2.There seem to be two different engines in the recent TT600 and XT600 models (see picture). Can anyone tell me why that is? Different engines for different models? Different years? The clutch actuation is different in the two engines. And the engine casting is not the exact same.

3.I have some sort of a snorkel-thingy in the airbox (restricts airflow). Should I remove it? Must I rejet if I remove it? The bike has ample torque/power but there is a flat spot in the powerband just before the second carburetor opens (I think). How can I get a better and more “seamless” powerband?

G600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 01:20 AM   #2
YorkieBoy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
Hi G600, the TT600RE is pretty much the same bike as the TTR600, just with an e-start and cheaper suspension front and rear, I don't think they have much in common with the XTs. I tried removing the snorkel, didn't seem to make much difference. One thing I did do was fit a pair of fork gaiters to save the fork seals which get a hammering with the standard setup.
I've got a set of service manuals in pdf format if you need them.

Cheers,

YorkieBoy
YorkieBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 11:59 AM   #3
G600 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

YorkieBoy, thanks.
Did you have a TTR600 or a TT600RE? What did you like/dislike? Do you know of any potential problems I should be aware of?
Old 06-04-2009, 03:27 PM   #4
YorkieBoy
Adventurer

I currently have an 04 TT600RE, and so far the only problems I've had with it after some pretty hard use are the fork seals needing replacing. I've fixed that problem by fitting a pair of cheapo neoprene fork gaiters and touch wood had no problems since. I've put an Acerbis 20l tank on it, some soft luggage and a nifty little screen and now it's as good for long distance touring as it is in the dirt. I've not heard of any common faults with either the TTR600 or the TT600RE, it's air cooled so I try to keep on top of the oil change and so far it's been sweet. I'll post up some pic's of my setup when I dig out my camera.

Cheers,

Paul
Old 06-05-2009, 04:46 AM   #5
rob11784
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Hi I just picked up a '00 TT600R with 2000miles on it. On the first ride the right casing started making a noise that seemed to be coming from the kickstart mechanism so i figured it wasnt going to do any major damage. Anyway, took the casing off and the nut holding the counter balancer on has come loose and would have wound all the way off if the back of the clutch was not smacking into it !. there is a strange curved washer that makes a ringing noise behind this nut if yours comes loose. Apparently this is a common fault on XT600, tt600 etc and Dave Lambeth recomends Red-Locktite on the nut. Im getting mine welded tonight ....
rob11784 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 10:16 AM   #6
G600 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

YorkieBoy, you seem to be using your bike in the same way I have planned for mine. Some fun in the dirt, and then slap on some soft luggage and take a trip. I like the small tank though, as it makes the bike more manageable in the dirt. This bike is no racebike but it still seems pretty capable in the dirt. I do feel that a second set of wheels is would be nice, for some knobby’s. I am looking forward to the pictures of your bike. Where did you get the soft luggage? Did you need some kind of a bracket to keep the luggage off the muffler?

Rob11784, thanks. Great tip. I’m glad there was no damage to your bike…
Old 06-05-2009, 10:58 AM   #7
SCQTT
Zwei Kolben

Oddometer: 5,283
FYI G600

We have not had the big Yam thumpers for quite some time in the states.

You will probably get little help from us Yanks.

Good luck.
Old 06-05-2009, 01:53 PM   #8
Laromonster
Vesperado !

Oddometer: 1,265
I had the same TTRE a few years ago, its the same engine as in the early 90's XTE's only difference is the bigger carb.

The kick only TTR had a slimmer engine due to the lighter, narrower flywheel.

Engine is basically bulletproof except the fifth gear which is wafer thin, keep the revs in that gear above 4500 and it should last a lifetime, urban myth has it its the power pulses at lower rpms that causes failure.

You get a modest performance gain from opening the top of the airbox and a larger main jet, raised needle.

Mine had a leo vince exhaust that really woke it up

'91 Vespa PX 200E "Lusso"
'05 KTM 640 ADV "Fatman"
'99 HD FLHRCI "Leviathan"
Laromonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 06:01 PM   #9
G600 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Scqtt, yes I know. Kind of a bummer :-)

Laromonster, thanks a lot. Great info. I suspected that the engine was not a E-start version of the TTR600 engine, since this engine is wider and also has a different final gearing ( the rear chain wheel has 47 T stock, the TTR has less). Someone told me the TTR600 has a different gearbox with different ratios?? I did not know about the thin fifth gear, very interesting. Do you know of someone that has some online pictures of a rebuild of this engine?

I put the bike on knobby’s tonight for the first time and took it for a ride. It is better off road than I expected. I rode some rough whoops, rocks and mud, and the bike just shined. My KTM400 is better, of course, but the TT did OK, and it is also fun around town. And if I feel like a trip out of town..the TT is also great… I am going to be riding this bike a lot this summer…
I love this bike, it is the most fun bike I have had in years…
Old 06-05-2009, 11:41 PM   #10
YorkieBoy
Adventurer

Here's my setup for a weekends riding in the Yorkshire dales, not sure who that hobo stood next to it is. The bags are just cheap Oxford panniers and rest on the plastics without touching the pipe.

It's a great bike for touring and off-road and so far no real problems, it's happiest when it's being revved some so don't feel that you have to bs shy with the right hand.

Paul
Old 03-09-2014, 12:13 AM   #11
gnuttis
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
can anyone comfirm that wich one XT660 rear wheel with cushdrive fits Yamaha TT600RE, would be very happy to know please! :)
gnuttis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 10:15 AM   #12
panterg55
Formely panterg

Oddometer: 47
Which Cush Drive Rear Hub ?

Bump !
I too am interested in which hub can be used - although I did think it was from a later XT 600 with a rear disc , Thanks Glenn
Old 03-10-2014, 10:27 AM   #13
Uncle-roby
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
The TT600RE has been built in Italy by Belgarda (20 kms from where I live...), installing a XT600E engine on a TT600R frame (last model bult from 1997 on).
The TT600RE has a little bit less powerful engine (37 hp at the wheel) then the TT600R and it is 15 kilos heavier.
Suspensions are shorter.

I reckon you can remove the snorkel without rejetting.

The production of such bike was discontinued some years ago (2005?) and the model has never replaced.

The new XT model has a different liquid cooled EFI engine.