Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-29-2009, 10:00 AM   #151
Durden
Freak!

Oddometer: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeenThere
I just recently switched from a KLR650 to a KLX250S. The 650 was much nicer on the road being heavier and more powerful. I find the 250 adequate on the road, but a little lacking in power. I'm going to install the 351 kit though and that will take care of the power problem.

Being retired I don't commute, but the 250 is my regular ride for everything else. What's most important to me is how much more relaxed I am on the 250 over the 650. The 650 was very top heavy so I was always fearful I might drop it whether it be while riding trails, or even in parking lots. And, I knew I couldn't pick it up by myself when I did drop it, (dropped it 7 times in the dirt).

I'm glad I made the switch.

Norm
Ditto, Im a bit disappointed at how uncomfortable the KLX is on long trips, but the fact its a mx bike, its what you could expect. On the KLR I could make 750km in one day easy. That being said, the KLX is soooo much more fun in the city and on the trails. I havent dumped it yet, which speaks to how easy it is to control on the trails.
Durden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 11:45 AM   #152
Dirtnadvil
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 786
I also have a Sherpa as a second bike but it is really for my son. I did ride it up in the mountains this week and it made me realize how much I dread/avoid tight trails with the KLR. I can pick it up if its on flat ground, but what a bitch! I am looking for something lighter so it is easier to load in the back of a truck without help. Are any of you guys located in So Cal? I would like to swap bikes for a few miles if I could.....
Dirtnadvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 08:11 PM   #153
Hannda
Short, fat, bearded, slow

Oddometer: 26,867
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNC
Yep, my recent annual 2-week Colorado trip finally convinced I want to stay street legal without aftermarket kits and such, but being that there are some good candidates like the KLX available, there's no reason for me to continue my weigh lifting program.
The 351 kit on the KLX is WONDERFUL, honest. It's apparently not any faster (same tranny) but the engine doesn't work as hard to do the work and it has much more power through the rev range. I've ridden Bakes (now Bobcat's) and Bill Blue's. Bake had the 351 kit with the stock carb and stock pipe. Bill had a pumper carb and a free-er breathing pipe. Bill's, with the pumper carb, felt like a 2 stoke - amazing burst of power (you'd never have known you were on a bike that left the showroom floor as a 250 4stroke) when you got on the throttle. But Bakes felt perfect. Smooth, linear power that you could feel as being well beyond the stock 250 (I'd ridden Charla's stock 250, then Bake's 351 then Bill's 351 with the pumper carb one after the other in the span of an hour - best way to test them out I can think of, all readily comparable).

Food for thought.
Hannda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 08:25 PM   #154
redpillar
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durden
Ditto, Im a bit disappointed at how uncomfortable the KLX is on long trips, but the fact its a mx bike, its what you could expect. On the KLR I could make 750km in one day easy. That being said, the KLX is soooo much more fun in the city and on the trails. I havent dumped it yet, which speaks to how easy it is to control on the trails.
I just finished a 3500 KM trip on my KLX over a period of 12 days. the seat is stock but I used a piece of blue foam from a camping mat cut to fit and a sheep skin and I was able to pull off a couple of 480 KM days, and about 10 days of 200 km and over. There were a few times that I would have liked a different seat but I never quit riding because I was too uncomfortable. If I was to do it again I would look into a Renazco seat but the bike did it's job. I would also probably go for the 351 kit as well. Mine is stock except for being piped and jetted and it was fine on everything but the faster highways. A bit slow but it caused no big problems. I was able to cruise at 85 to 90 km anywhere I went even long 7% uphill grades with about 40 to 50 lbs of gear on board.
I have been looking at a larger cc bike like a 610 Husky but after this trip I think I will hold off as I am very happy at how the bike handled the trip.

Here is a link to the Trip Report

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=502085

redpillar screwed with this post 09-01-2009 at 01:22 PM
redpillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 02:15 AM   #155
sparrowfall
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
KLX250s '09 -> kick start kit

Does anyone know if the kick start kit (99999-0073) available from Ron Ayers etc will fit the '09 model?

I've searched and found plenty of posts about fitting it to an 07 & earlier but wasn't sure about the 09.

thanks!
sparrowfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2009, 05:59 AM   #156
TomN OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,498
Well I am leaving in 2 days for a 7 day trip, stock seat no extra padding, i'll let you know how painful it is
Old 09-04-2009, 08:10 AM   #157
Chuck289
Air cooled

Oddometer: 2,230
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomN
Well I am leaving in 2 days for a 7 day trip, stock seat no extra padding, i'll let you know how painful it is
Please do let us know.
Good luck and godspeed
Old 09-04-2009, 03:34 PM   #158
sparrowfall
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRONWHEEL
When I contacted Ron Ayers they said that with the information they currently have they would have to say no it won't fit. Now they also said that this could change if Kawasaki releases an actual part number for the 2009 kick start kit. My guess is it would probably work, but until Kawasaki gives it the green light I'm not willing to take the gamble. I hope it will work it would be nice to have a kick starter as a backup.
tks ironwheel... i'm comparing two fiddy road legal trail bikes here in Oz and the 09 KLX looks (and felt) like a sweet sweet bike. Only hurdles I can see it's lack of kicker and pissy little tank.
sparrowfall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 01:48 AM   #159
taranaki
Dopeless Hope Fiend

Oddometer: 1,268
Highway Dirt Bikes handguards?

Has anyone here fit these to a KLX 250s?

I have Acerbis Rally Pros now. Iffy fit and not enough room for heavy gloves.
Old 09-14-2009, 03:38 AM   #160
capt_enduro
tool whore

Oddometer: 191
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtnadvil
I use my bike for a 20 mile commute 90% of the time. The other 10% is ADV touring (camping gear) and trail riding. I have been thinking about getting the 250 so I can do more exploring and get off of the main fire roads. I am a little worried that I will find it too small or under powered. I am wondering how guys like it after riding 650s....
My daily driver is an 800, but I still get an ear-to-ear grin every time I get on the KLX. It's very light and easy to flick around, especially after stepping off a much larger (and more top-heavy) bike. Not a lot of room for gear though. It has plenty of power for trail riding and single track - tons of grunt to get the job done. On the pavement, you can flog it all day long at 70 mph (thanks to the six speed trans). Not good on the superslab, but it's perfectly at home on those two & four lane roads that the interstates were built to bypass.

60 - 70 mpg (less if you flog it) - it's an awesome commuter bike, although I don't drive mine to work much anymore (I'd rather have my laptop, rain gear, etc. in the panniers than on my back).

'09 BMW F800GS
'09 Kawasaki KLX250S
'05 Yamaha TTR230
capt_enduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 03:40 PM   #161
c_m_shooter
Ninja Warrior

Oddometer: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by taranaki
Has anyone here fit these to a KLX 250s?

I have Acerbis Rally Pros now. Iffy fit and not enough room for heavy gloves.

Don't worry about the fit of the Acerbis, just bend them to the shape you want. You will have to take them off and bend them back every time you drop it anyway, so just consider it practice. I had asked about a better set awhile back on another forum and everyone else is pleased with the Acerbis, so I must be missing something.
c_m_shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 09:18 PM   #162
redpillar
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by c_m_shooter
Don't worry about the fit of the Acerbis, just bend them to the shape you want. You will have to take them off and bend them back every time you drop it anyway, so just consider it practice. I had asked about a better set awhile back on another forum and everyone else is pleased with the Acerbis, so I must be missing something.
I fit them on mine but I put 1" spacers on the inboard ends to get more room.
redpillar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 09:42 PM   #163
Hannda

Look what's new . . . .

Bake has made a 1.1 gal aux fuel tank for the '09 KLX250. I'd seen the ones he made for the '07 models, but this is new just for the '09.

I'd imagine he'll be selling them in Flea Market soon.

Yes, this is probably but I've read here that many of you seem to be looking for a "more fuel, longer range" option. Thought I'd let you know about this.
Old 10-09-2009, 09:48 PM   #164
Bake
adventurer

Oddometer: 10,514
Thanks Dave!

http://www.bakerdistancetanks.com

Bake screwed with this post 10-30-2009 at 04:52 PM
Bake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 09:53 PM   #165
Hannda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bake
I'll be cooking up my own website this weekend. I'll bounce in with it when I'm there.
Yes, I have two production tanks that have been test fit, and this baby is going to be a "GO"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bake
Thanks Dave!
Aw shucks, twernt nothin'.

I just figured that this thread is where those who'd be most interested already hang out.