Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-26-2008, 07:30 AM   #16
Bagspacked
Chasing the Sun...

Oddometer: 91
Don't have a picture right now, but still have my brothers 1971 Rupp Hustler. my first Rupp was similar to yours. Sure wish I still had that. I also have a '71 Honda Trail 70, a Steen 90, and a '77 honda XR 75. Hey I'm right up the road from you. I have 5 acres up here if you wanna go mini bikin in the spring!
Bagspacked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 08:08 AM   #17
Yellow Iron
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,023
Rupp is where I got my start

WOW seeing these pics brings back the good ol days
Yellow Iron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 11:30 AM   #18
mullman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow Iron
Rupp is where I got my start

WOW seeing these pics brings back the good ol days
+1

Mine was a rusty green color and it would fly.
I rode that until I got a Honda XR80, I was really cool then.
mullman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 06:30 PM   #19
* SHAG *
Unstable

Oddometer: 4,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthshake
Yep, don't remember the model. But it had a 5hp motor, a belt from the engine to swingarm pivot, and a chain from there on back. With a tight belt and light 12 year old it would wheelie...woohoo!!!!
My brother and I had a "Digger" with a jackshaft. I don't remember a belt . I thought it had 2 chains.
We had a blast on the thing until the twatwaffle down the street got the 2 speed roadster. It was a lot faster.
05-GS- Rock Red 92k
06-GS- Dakar-40k Sold
* SHAG * is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 09:11 PM   #20
TAS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 490
My first "bike" was a Rupp; I literally rode it to pieces. The gentleman who built the Rupp line lives in Stuart, FL., the next town over from where I live today. He is actually more popular here for his Rupp Outriggers than his mini-bikes. He still collects examples of his bikes and go carts and restores them in his shop for old times sake. Nice guy, very talented.

Edit: 5HP Tecumseh, pull start, centrifical cluth, front and rear suspension. I can't remember the model name.
My next bike was an Alsport Steen as well, it was powered by a 100cc Hodaka engine.

TAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 09:47 AM   #21
cogitate
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,941
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAS
My first "bike" was a Rupp; I literally rode it to pieces. The gentleman who built the Rupp line lives in Stuart, FL., the next town over from where I live today. He is actually more popular here for his Rupp Outriggers than his mini-bikes. He still collects examples of his bikes and go carts and restores them in his shop for old times sake. Nice guy, very talented.

Edit: 5HP Tecumseh, pull start, centrifical cluth, front and rear suspension. I can't remember the model name.
My next bike was an Alsport Steen as well, it was powered by a 100cc Hodaka engine.

Very cool. It that one yours? Any pics of your Steen? I remember them being very high end for a mini, but what was I, ten at the time?

"The Howtostretch Handbook", a guide to stretching, free download
cogitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 11:08 AM   #22
TAS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 490
Quote:
Originally Posted by motonomus
Very cool. It that one yours? Any pics of your Steen? I remember them being very high end for a mini, but what was I, ten at the time?
Not mine but the exact model and color. My Dad bought the Rupp for me when I was around 9. I loved that thing and rode it every day, rain or shine for 4 1/2 years.
The only photo I can find of an Alsport Steen is this old ad.

My Dad wasn't much for family photos but certainly made up for it with cool gifts! The Steen was bought as a surprize for Xmas; I nearly fainted. He bought it from one of his friends at work (his son had outgrown it). I kept the Steen well into my late 20's and passed it on to a friend whos son was ready for a bike that size. By then I was well into my KTM phase (1981 KTM 495 and a 1986 125MX). My street ride was a 1981 Honda XL600R. I was quite the kick starter back then.

The adventures I had on the Rupp and Alsport Steen are my most cherished childhood memories. On the weekends I would leave the house right after b'fast and not return until I needed gas. More often than not, pushing the bike with an empty tank. I would gas up and be off again. I would bring my scout knife and canteen and stop deep in the woods to sit a whittle, have a drink and just hang out; it was the greatest.

Have a great holiday,

TAS
TAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2008, 05:31 PM   #23
Jim Z
Huge n00b

Oddometer: 134
Here are my Dad's rides from when he was a kid. That's a Bonanza with gas tank. Fuel gauge filler cap. The original Tecumseh died long ago, so it has a '90s model now. The bike is in mint condition, he has been anal about his stuff since he was 10. He still has the original engine with scrambler style exhaust - I have thought about rebuilding it as a present for him but haven't gotten around to it yet. It's got the weird 2 chain setup. He was the envy of the neighborhood until a couple guys got Honda Trail 70s.

haha notice the drag tire and drag T-handle brake on the blue bike. The flat profile makes for interesting cornering behavior. The blue bike originally came with a steering wheel and was called "The Wheel" he took that off and put those ape hangers on with sweet metallic blue grips.
Jim Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 11:20 AM   #24
Brtp4
Do what you love.

Oddometer: 1,965
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAS

Are you kidding? You live near Mick Rupp? Do you have his contact info? Can you arrange an interview with him or get photos of his stuff? It'd be a dream of mine to hear the guys tale. I am pretty sure that at least one of the magazines would publish a story on the guy.

Few people know how innovative Rupp was. I heard that they reached almost $40m in sales, which was quite a bit back then.

Drooling over Black Widows and Scramblers at the local Firestone led me to a life of motorcycles and a career in the industry. Holy smokes, I wanna interview the guy. Pls PM me about this if you can.

BP
Brtp4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 07:59 PM   #25
One Eye Mike
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 658
My Father had a Rupp realership of sorts in Northern wisconsin in the late 60's /early 70's. I can't post photo's right now, but can show some snowmobile /mini bike photos once I set up my smug mug account.
One Eye Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 08:28 PM   #26
Brtp4
Do what you love.

Oddometer: 1,965
You can email them to me and I will post them.

BP
Brtp4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 08:51 PM   #27
ColinDoyle
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 723
Quote:
Originally Posted by BubbaZanetti
what's the point of minibikes

are they for short people?
They're for screwing around in your mile-long dirt driveway out in the country. Looks like you're from NYC - bummer, dude. You're missing out on fun minibike shenanigans.
Old 02-08-2009, 10:50 PM   #28
LoFlow
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 956
I started out on a Rupp. Then my dad bought a Chris cycle, made in Italy. It had a 50cc (Zundapp I think) motor with a 3 speed and a rotating shift grip. Next was a Chris cycle 100cc, 4 speed Moto Beta motor. I remember hitting 65 mph indicated on that mini bike.

I didn't know how lucky I was in those days. Where I lived you could ride on country roads and hardly see anyone. If a Sheriff saw you he would just tell you to go home or even better yet to be careful. Now days you would be turned over to the child protection agency and your parents would be arrested for child endangerment.

Years ago I tried to find those Chris cycles because I knew the area they were sold in, but no luck. If one could only see the future. I would love to have those back as keep sakes.
LoFlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 05:52 PM   #29
AngryScot

Oddometer: 18,319

or at least I think it is one of those

AngryScot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 04:44 PM   #30
kelly duke 2000
Closed, Gone Riding

Oddometer: 479
Mine was a 1973 green , 4 hp . rupp roadster. It was actually street legal, but I was only 13. Had the torque converter making it an automatic trans. Can't figure out why car manu. aren't using the converter for an almost infinite gear transmision in the search for better gas milage. Mercedes suv came out with a 7 speed trans. Sold my rupp for a tc 125 suzuki in 74. I knew my mountain trails like the back of my hand. For first timers coming to the trails , I had to pull my rupp over and wait for them , even on 250's. Those were good times, every kid should have 1000 acres in their back yard growing up. Kelly
kelly duke 2000 is offline   Reply With Quote