Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2009, 04:04 PM   #31
Brtp4
Yea, its a friggin L

Oddometer: 1,957
Mine was this kinda bizarre thing, a 1969 Rupp Goat. It had a huge 5 hp motor with a jackshaft and a 2 speed clutch system. I clocked it at a little over 35 mph, which, on a chassis like that, is pucker speed.

I think the most fun I had in my life was the first time I went to my aunts house out in the country to ride it. My cousin and I went out for about 4 hours through fields, woods, roads and some yards. In a lotta ways that was my first ADV ride.

Good times. I wish I had pics somewhere.

BP
Brtp4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 07:23 AM   #32
R1150GSA OP
Saint "Alloy"sius

Oddometer: 26,174
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryScot

or at least I think it is one of those

This picture should be on the front page.

Thanks, AngryScot
IBA #17734
R1150GSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 09:51 AM   #33
sc-razor
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,746
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_Court
I did the exact same thing... it seems like just yesterday. Ahhh the smell of those new tires!
Me too! That's a cool memory. My dad finally let me have my choice of a mini bike or a go cart, but I had to work (sell Grit newspapers in front of the grocery stores) to pay for it. I chose the mini bike. Golden Pinto. I rode the wheels completely off of that thing and then some bastard stole it. Gosh I loved that thing! I always loved the Rupps and Hondas but there was no way.

Steve
sc-razor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 02:08 PM   #34
gaspipe
Wandering Soul

Oddometer: 11,342
I don't remember what year mine was, but I also had a Rupp Roadster. I started riding it when I was seven, so the thing must have been about a '72 or '73. I also had the great fortune to have grown up with a few square miles of woods behind me, and I spent years riding that thing back there. Moved up to a two stroke lime green Kawasaki KS125M after that.

Lots of good memories on that little bike.

EDIT: Found a pic on the interwebs that looked like mine....

Note the exposed fork springs....that's what mine had, so it was probably a '69 or '70 model. I remember changing the motor out to a hotrod 5HP Tecumseh when I wore the original one totally out by about the fifth grade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly duke 2000
Mine was a 1973 green , 4 hp . rupp roadster. It was actually street legal, but I was only 13. Had the torque converter making it an automatic trans. Can't figure out why car manu. aren't using the converter for an almost infinite gear transmision in the search for better gas milage. Mercedes suv came out with a 7 speed trans. Sold my rupp for a tc 125 suzuki in 74. I knew my mountain trails like the back of my hand. For first timers coming to the trails , I had to pull my rupp over and wait for them , even on 250's. Those were good times, every kid should have 1000 acres in their back yard growing up. Kelly

Hair of the dog....

gaspipe screwed with this post 02-21-2009 at 02:17 PM
gaspipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 03:17 PM   #35
Brtp4
Yea, its a friggin L

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaspipe
I don't remember what year mine was, but I also had a Rupp Roadster. I started riding it when I was seven, so the thing must have been about a '72 or '73. I also had the great fortune to have grown up with a few square miles of woods behind me, and I spent years riding that thing back there. Moved up to a two stroke lime green Kawasaki KS125M after that.

Lots of good memories on that little bike.

EDIT: Found a pic on the interwebs that looked like mine....

Note the exposed fork springs....that's what mine had, so it was probably a '69 or '70 model. I remember changing the motor out to a hotrod 5HP Tecumseh when I wore the original one totally out by about the fifth grade.
I STILL want one of those. It would be a completely impractical purchase but sooner or later I know I will end up buying one.

BP
Old 02-21-2009, 08:52 PM   #36
ADK
_____

Oddometer: 8,118
Nice ones are only 2500-3000 dollars on e-bay.
ADK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 05:09 PM   #37
Abbotson
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
I rode all over south side OKC on a street legal or tagged (back then) Rupp mini-bike with a 3.5 HP engine that did 35 MPH. The state pasted a laws that reqiured all street legal motorcycles to have mirrors and riders had to wear helmets. So I bought mirrors and a helmet.

The funniest incident I remember is when I was stopped at a traffic light and two motorcycle cops pulled up beside me in the next lane. I looked over at them an nodded. All they could do was just shake their heads. The light turned green and I roared off.

The next mini bike I had was put together using a burned Bonanza frame and a Hodaka ACE 90 bottom with a 100 cc jug and head. It was a real screamer.
Abbotson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 06:12 PM   #38
richarddacat
helmet full of Blues

Oddometer: 3,184
what do you mean nobody has got the link?

http://www.ruppbikes.com/ruppBikes.aspx

we were talking about Rupps on another site....small world huh. couldn't quite remember all the names.

BONA-WHO ??
richarddacat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 07:12 PM   #39
motorcyclefanatic
The name says it all

Oddometer: 720
I had a Rupp Roadster-II, 1971 I think. My first "real" m/c. Had a gas tank, front and rear brakes and suspension, lights, etc.

It was well put together. It was stolen before I managed to tear it up. I probably have a picture around here somewhere. If I can dig it up I'll post it.
Old 02-24-2009, 07:50 PM   #40
LarryGS
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 621
Rupp Sprint

I think I was in 3rd grade when my dad came home with a Rupp Sprint that he got from a workmate. 5 hp pullstart Tecumseh engine. First ride, I gassed it and went right through the hedge, with a severe case of wristlock.
My brother and I rode the heck out of that thing for about 5 yrs, taking it to the local field with friends, constructing jump and riding through the stream. Awesome fun. It's in my dad's basement now, in parts, awaiting rebuild.
LarryGS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 06:39 PM   #41
One Eye Mike
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 658

I believe the year was 1971.
One Eye Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2009, 07:55 PM   #42
Brtp4
Yea, its a friggin L

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Eye Mike

I believe the year was 1971.
That thing look sooooo beautiful.

BP
Old 03-23-2009, 06:23 AM   #43
LowAdvRider
Why aren't we Riding?

Oddometer: 131
Looks just like mine did! Memories. Except mine was used. With a rusted tank and a new 5HP engine. Used epoxy on the tank to fix the holes and new bearings in the wheels to help it steer and rode the tires off from it. I mess those days...
Old 03-28-2009, 12:45 PM   #44
scootertrash
Mobile Homie

Oddometer: 2,072
I remember back in the early 70's when I was lusting after any kind of bike that you didn't have to pedal. There was a PM article or comparo of about a dozen minibikes and I recall the Rupp being represented. Maybe someone here has a stack of old PM's, seems like it was around '71 to '73.
My friend got a pressed frame Suzuki 50cc street bike. We made it into a "scrambler" because he wasn't old enough to ride legal on the street. I learned to ride m/c's on that bike...

TV-free for 7 years and counting
"The difference between Adventure and Adversity is Attitude"
scootertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 10:35 AM   #45
4w7s
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoFlow
I started out on a Rupp. Then my dad bought a Chris cycle, made in Italy. It had a 50cc (Zundapp I think) motor with a 3 speed and a rotating shift grip. Next was a Chris cycle 100cc, 4 speed Moto Beta motor. I remember hitting 65 mph indicated on that mini bike.

I didn't know how lucky I was in those days. Where I lived you could ride on country roads and hardly see anyone. If a Sheriff saw you he would just tell you to go home or even better yet to be careful. Now days you would be turned over to the child protection agency and your parents would be arrested for child endangerment.

Years ago I tried to find those Chris cycles because I knew the area they were sold in, but no luck. If one could only see the future. I would love to have those back as keep sakes.
Cool, I used to own a Chris Cycle when I was a kid...back in the early 70's probably. It was a beauty and wish I held on to it...but one does not think well at that age.

After that bike I got a Honda 70, but it was just not the same aesthetically.

If you have any photos or sources of info for the Chris Cycle please send them to me.

Thanks

Roberto
4w7s is offline   Reply With Quote