ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-13-2008, 09:22 AM   #16
ilmostro
Under Da Sea
 
ilmostro's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2003
Location: San Rafael, CA
Oddometer: 29,249
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack splash
My proposal is to start AMA Chartered Adventure Riding clubs. These clubs would be formed by inmates here and follow the model of the Enduro Clubs. Each Club would create an event or two per year, with the members laying out and working their event. Another way is for many ADV riders to join existing clubs and force a vote on having a real ADV ride.

I know there are pro's and con's to the AMA and forming "organizations". The fastest and easiest way to get a new ride going is to use the system that is already in place. Insurance is a must for anyone hosting an event, and the AMA's insurance is inexpensive and easy to obtain. I've had a few "discussions" with inmates here, about joining clubs or why an AMA sanction is important, some didn't go well, but over the years, most of them saw the light and joined an Enduro Club and have become productive members.

What is it exactly you are proposing?


If it involves using the "ADV Rider" name I can tell you now, that shit ain't happening.


If it involves dues, memberships or money changing hands, this belongs in vendors.


There aren't any "sanctioned" rides here and to the best of my knowledge, there aren't going to be any.


This is a very loosely knit "club" already and we don't need anyone's sanction other than Baldy's to have it.


Find people you get along with, that have similar riding styles, bike and experience and go have fun.


Doesn't seem so hard to me.


You like clubs? Join the MOA or something similar. They have all the committees, chairs and meetings you could ever hope for.


If you need an AMA chartered club that badly, start up a Jack Splash Adventure Riding club and post about it in vendors.
__________________
I've got stay the fuck out of it written on a stone tablet in my bedroom. - Con Stapleton
ilmostro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 09:39 AM   #17
PO-SLOKE
" ONTO " Member # 3
 
PO-SLOKE's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: Sapphire,NC
Oddometer: 386
Admirable Accomplishment

Jack Splash ,

Man , I gotta tell ya , I was without words when I looked at whta you guys have done the PB500 after viewing the PB500 website . I know some about that area from years back . I spent some time there for sure , and to put together something like that in the middle of Jersey is " FRIGGIN AMAZING " . Folks that have never been in those parts might not understand the work it takes to do something like that in such an area as NJ . But WOW .

I suppose the Dakar wannabe in you is a stronger testemant than you think . All I can say is , " HELLAVU " good job man . Most know that I can really spew on about land useage but I will leave that to those who have already migrated this topic from other forums regarding NC land use . Whew ........

Never the less , good job and you guys keep the good relationship going and at hand that you have established with the needed folks to make a positive impression .


Wes
__________________
Riding public lands is our privilege not our right .
RIDE LEGAL LAND
OR
DON'T RIDE AT ALL !
Ethics people, ethics
PO-SLOKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 03:38 PM   #18
yanni23
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2007
Oddometer: 655
I've done exactly the same thing, Jack, for the last 11 years. I've run laps upon laps in WNC and found the best of the best for any type of event. Adventure to Dual-Sport...got a loop for any and everything. I started out the same way; just doing it to train and be a better overall rider. Then the ol' melon got to thinkin'...
yanni23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 03:52 PM   #19
The Dude Himself
Hooked on Dirt!!
 
The Dude Himself's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: Charleston, SC
Oddometer: 1,719
Jack:

My girl and I both volunteered at the SBR this past spring, with plans to volunteer at all the other RallyMoto events we could hit within 12 hours ride until my skill improved enought to compete myself... unfortunately we bought a condo right after I ran into you at the Xplor event in Charlottesville and my free time dried up. As I wrap up this year, sick with pnemonia, tired from working too much, and cranky from not riding except for work - I realize I missed most of the goals I set for the past year. Sure, I bought a condo; but there has been at least one MC event on my calendar each month and I only made it to 2.

What I'm saying is I'm in. You need help with anything, let me know. And of course I'll see you at the Sandblast. Hell, as soon as I shake this cough I'd love to come up and ride the Pine Barrens, if you folks don't mind teaching me to ride sand. It scares me.

Mike aka The Dude Himself
Dumbass on a Big Bike
The Dude Himself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 05:58 PM   #20
donnymoto
Beastly Adventurer
 
donnymoto's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: NOVA-VA-USA
Oddometer: 1,256
Jack, that sounds like a great idea to me. I'm totally diggin your Pine Barrens ride, wish I'd known about it when it happened but yes I've got a KLR650 and this is the type of riding I'm looking for. I can understand some don't want organized rides, I also ride that way a lot, sometimes hook up with other riders and events like this would also be nice. I've been riding roads all summer and fall around here looking for the same sort of thing. I'm for it.
donnymoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 07:07 PM   #21
jack splash OP
Two Sheds
 
jack splash's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Pt Pleasant, NJ USA
Oddometer: 2,211
Woha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilmostro
What is it exactly you are proposing?


If it involves using the "ADV Rider" name I can tell you now, that shit ain't happening.


If it involves dues, memberships or money changing hands, this belongs in vendors.


There aren't any "sanctioned" rides here and to the best of my knowledge, there aren't going to be any.


This is a very loosely knit "club" already and we don't need anyone's sanction other than Baldy's to have it.


Find people you get along with, that have similar riding styles, bike and experience and go have fun.


Doesn't seem so hard to me.


You like clubs? Join the MOA or something similar. They have all the committees, chairs and meetings you could ever hope for.


If you need an AMA chartered club that badly, start up a Jack Splash Adventure Riding club and post about it in vendors.


ilostro: Maybe you should read the whole thread, before quoting and posting. Also checkout www.pinebarrens500.org, and the thread in the northeast forum,

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=404497

also check with Packmule on the kind of events I've organized in the past.

You got the wrong impression on my proposal. Completly missed the point, but it's one of those, if I have to explain it, you won't get it.

This part was for guys like you.

Others would rather be left alone and keep the "good stuff" for themselves. Believe me I know how bringing in "outsiders" can "F" things up. But that applies to everything. There's givers and takers everywhere.
It's what "you" do that makes the difference.


Things may be different up here, we like to get together and ride. The Enduro club that sponsored the PB rides is NON-Profit.

Also, I think it's a good idea to have an event insured, the AMA provides that. But read the WHOLE thread.


Here's the best line I've seen in a while.

"There aren't any "sanctioned" rides here and to the best of my knowledge, there aren't going to be any."


When you say "here", do you mean this site or the whole south east?

Jack
__________________
Stay dirty my friends!
Bigfoot has a picture of me!

www.pinebarrens500.org
www.pinebarrensadventures.com

jack splash screwed with this post 11-13-2008 at 07:21 PM
jack splash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 06:10 AM   #22
ilmostro
Under Da Sea
 
ilmostro's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2003
Location: San Rafael, CA
Oddometer: 29,249
Quote:
Originally Posted by jack splash
ilostro: Maybe you should read the whole thread, before quoting and posting. Also checkout www.pinebarrens500.org, and the thread in the northeast forum,

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=404497

also check with Packmule on the kind of events I've organized in the past.

You got the wrong impression on my proposal. Completly missed the point, but it's one of those, if I have to explain it, you won't get it.

This part was for guys like you.

Others would rather be left alone and keep the "good stuff" for themselves. Believe me I know how bringing in "outsiders" can "F" things up. But that applies to everything. There's givers and takers everywhere.
It's what "you" do that makes the difference.


Things may be different up here, we like to get together and ride. The Enduro club that sponsored the PB rides is NON-Profit.

Also, I think it's a good idea to have an event insured, the AMA provides that. But read the WHOLE thread.


Here's the best line I've seen in a while.

"There aren't any "sanctioned" rides here and to the best of my knowledge, there aren't going to be any."


When you say "here", do you mean this site or the whole south east?

Jack

I am feeling benevolent and will pretend for a moment that you aren't a jack ass.


Your initial post was not very clear in regards to the relationship of this site, you, your potential members and the AMA.


You can do whatever you want. You can start an adventure riding club. You can cull your members from the inmates at ADV Rider. You can get sanctioning from the AMA and all the insurance you can handle.


I just wanted to make things clear to you from the beginning that any riding club you choose to form will be a separate entity on its own and not affiliated in any way with ADVRider.com.


If you choose to form a club and that club requires dues, charges for a ride or has money involved in any way, shape or form, it needs to go in the vendors forum


When I mean "We", I mean this site and the volunteers that help to keep it running.
__________________
I've got stay the fuck out of it written on a stone tablet in my bedroom. - Con Stapleton
ilmostro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 09:19 AM   #23
TomN
Beastly Adventurer
 
TomN's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2005
Location: Chalfont, PA
Oddometer: 2,497
Wow obviously you don't know him at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilmostro
I am feeling benevolent and will pretend for a moment that you aren't a jack ass.


Your initial post was not very clear in regards to the relationship of this site, you, your potential members and the AMA.


You can do whatever you want. You can start an adventure riding club. You can cull your members from the inmates at ADV Rider. You can get sanctioning from the AMA and all the insurance you can handle.


I just wanted to make things clear to you from the beginning that any riding club you choose to form will be a separate entity on its own and not affiliated in any way with ADVRider.com.


If you choose to form a club and that club requires dues, charges for a ride or has money involved in any way, shape or form, it needs to go in the vendors forum


When I mean "We", I mean this site and the volunteers that help to keep it running.
__________________
2011 DL650
2009 KLX250S
TomN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 11:53 AM   #24
dlrides
1:1.618
 
dlrides's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Newton NC
Oddometer: 5,065
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilmostro
I am feeling benevolent and will pretend for a moment that you aren't a jack ass.


Your initial post was not very clear in regards to the relationship of this site, you, your potential members and the AMA.


You can do whatever you want. You can start an adventure riding club. You can cull your members from the inmates at ADV Rider. You can get sanctioning from the AMA and all the insurance you can handle.


I just wanted to make things clear to you from the beginning that any riding club you choose to form will be a separate entity on its own and not affiliated in any way with ADVRider.com.


If you choose to form a club and that club requires dues, charges for a ride or has money involved in any way, shape or form, it needs to go in the vendors forum


When I mean "We", I mean this site and the volunteers that help to keep it running.





Ritalin presription expired ?
dlrides is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 01:13 PM   #25
The Dude Himself
Hooked on Dirt!!
 
The Dude Himself's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2004
Location: Charleston, SC
Oddometer: 1,719
The two met in Charlottesville, and this is likely a big misunderstanding - they're both real cool guys with similar personalities and interests. If you want a dogpile, go for it in another thread - don't cloud this one up with bullshit.
The Dude Himself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 02:42 PM   #26
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger
 
fullmonte's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2005
Location: Chattanooga, Tennessee
Oddometer: 4,897
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dude Himself
If you want a dogpile, go for it in another thread - don't cloud this one up with bullshit.
It didn't get cloudy until the new mod showed up with the attitude. Maybe he forgot how to behave outside of JM. A little respect towards the other inmates would be a good start. I'm sure I'm not the only one who has noticed his remarks in other Southeast threads. Lighten up IlFrancestro.
__________________
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 02:53 PM   #27
yanni23
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2007
Oddometer: 655
Pretend he's not a jackass? That's a little much bud. So far everything's been nice and orderly in here. Mod or whatever, it's uncalled for. If I start calling you a jackass, you'd kick me off, so I won't do that. The attitude just steers the thread off course.
yanni23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 03:39 PM   #28
eyedragaknee
McGuyver
 
eyedragaknee's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2004
Location: Triangle
Oddometer: 2,317
From post #13

Planning

Ya'll can talk(argue now) about it. I'm going riding and don't really give a shit where I end up as long as there is food and a bed when I am done.
__________________
2008 KTM250-XCFW
2011 Gas Gas TXT250
1966 Honda 305 Scrambler
eyedragaknee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 04:23 PM   #29
jack splash OP
Two Sheds
 
jack splash's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2004
Location: Pt Pleasant, NJ USA
Oddometer: 2,211
Mr, would you like some respect with that post?

I'll take two, their small. Sorry we're all out.

I've been am inmate here for a few years now, and have posts directed at me, and I'm sure I dished out a statement or two, that just were not right. But I was suprised by the intensitity of the post, by one who turns out to be a moderator of this site. I believe he didn't really read all the posts.

I've learned to becareful of my words here, because they can be misunderstood or twisted, or may offend someone in some way you didn't think could happen.

Possiblly what happened is El' bad tempero mistook "jack splash" for "jack ass". Mostly I've been called an "Elitist Prick" for the bike I ride or for the last event I organized, at which the machines had to be over 500 cc's. But most of that was in "good fun"? or ball busting.

The other thing I've learned on this site is (although it's hard) to ignore the personal attacks, and not to respond inkind. When I do, I end up looking like Homer Simson, making a bad thing worse. DOH!


I think another mod ( Packmule) straightened this out, and let ilmostro know that I'm not a Yankee corporate marketing guy, trying to take over the site and mind control the inmates.

Jack
__________________
Stay dirty my friends!
Bigfoot has a picture of me!

www.pinebarrens500.org
www.pinebarrensadventures.com

jack splash screwed with this post 11-14-2008 at 05:01 PM
jack splash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 05:20 PM   #30
dlrides
1:1.618
 
dlrides's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Newton NC
Oddometer: 5,065
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte
It didn't get cloudy until the new mod showed up with the attitude. Maybe he forgot how to behave outside of JM. A little respect towards the other inmates would be a good start. I'm sure I'm not the only one who has noticed his remarks in other Southeast threads. Lighten up IlFrancestro.



Hey Monte !



Good luck with your project jack splash ! There are probably plenty around that would be interested that type of group.
dlrides is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:09 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014