Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-15-2011, 07:58 PM   #136
Rob.G
Mostly Harmless

Oddometer: 2,095
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFurious View Post
Is Bill still in business? I read on another site that he was planning to close up shop at the end of the summer and it appears they shut down the website.
The website went down due to an issue with his ISP and the developer who created it. He has a new one under construction now and it should be up in the near future. He's still in business. I exchanged several emails with him about this last week.

Rob
'10 Kawasaki KLX351S #320
Rob.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 10:03 PM   #137
MrFurious
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 702
Good to know!

MrFurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 08:43 AM   #138
DurtDevil
Adventurer

Oddometer: 68
Phew

I've been planning to purchase the 351 kit this winter, and was starting to look around to confirm pricing and get the ball rolling... and couldn't find his site anywhere. Definitely getting worried... 3 years on KLX w/5000+ miles now, been planning all along to mod up and really put a motor on this fun bike - and he disappeared.
Whoever gets Bill's new website address, please provide here - thanks!
Old 11-16-2011, 09:13 AM   #139
Danger4u2
KX & CR 500 Rider

Oddometer: 579
Yes, still going strong. I contacted him this morning here's what he said.

"Hello David,
I have not closed the shop. Still going strong, my web site went down last week because the person that was taking care of it decides he didn't want to mess with it any more. My son & grandson are making a new web site for me, hope to have it up & running by this week end. If you could help spread the word that I am still in busyness & doing well that would be appreciated. Glad you are happy with the 351 kit
Thanks
Bill "

I've been really surprised at the little KLX and how I've really come to like that bike, now that it's a 351cc. Riding in the rugged, rocky hills of the Kiamichi Mountains in S.E. Oklahoma last month the Dunlop GeoMax MX71's have held up quite well. It hasn't chunked off any knobbies like the tires on the other riders bikes. I also took my CR500 for the first time in this area and rode it one day. Man was it a hand full down there. Way more fun riding it on the sand at Little Sahara Oklahoma. It had an older Michelin rear tire and it ate off all the knobs on both out side rows. Riding on sharp rocks up and down steep hills will be a brutal test on any tire. I have 2200 miles on the KLX since Bill's kit and no problems.
Old 11-18-2011, 07:56 PM   #140
uaza
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
anyone here has the 351 kit on a Fuel injected KLX250 (or in this case D-tracker X)?
here in Brazil they are imported from thailand and are FI.

I wonder how well/easy to adjust
uaza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 12:38 AM   #141
MrFurious
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 702
Quote:
Originally Posted by uaza View Post
anyone here has the 351 kit on a Fuel injected KLX250 (or in this case D-tracker X)?
here in Brazil they are imported from thailand and are FI.

I wonder how well/easy to adjust
From what little I've read on Kawasaki Forums you need a JuiceBox or Power Commander with a custom fuel map. Those who have done it (mostly in the Philippines) report that the stock fuel injector seems to be up to the task at stock fuel pressure, so no need to upgrade the injector or pressure regulator.

Here's a link to a thread about a programmable ECU that's available in Thailand.
http://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/...-klx250-36083/

MrFurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 10:04 AM   #142
danceswithcages
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 254
Any word on Bill's new web address??

I've searched the web and can't come up with any info on where to buy his kit.

I'm seriously considering a KLX250 as my next bike, but only if the 351 kit is still available.
danceswithcages is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 11:19 AM   #143
IDRIDR
Take me to the River

Oddometer: 1,253
http://www.bandbcyclerestoration.com/
IDRIDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 11:30 AM   #144
danceswithcages
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by IDRIDR View Post

Thank you!
danceswithcages is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 11:32 PM   #145
tony.bike
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Did you get your 351?

Did you get your 351 kit yet danceswithcages? I am just getting ready to install mine. Looking forward to seeing how this all works out.
tony.bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 03:22 PM   #146
xxaarraa
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
OK, I read all 10 pages but still have an elementary question. The 22HP shown on the dyno - I am assuming that is at the wheel correct? Cannot be at the crank? I mean, stock bike makes 18 HP so I would hope the 351 kit nets more than 4 HP.

Can anyone please confirm?
xxaarraa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 03:27 PM   #147
Stumpy Pete
Semi-Regular Guy

Oddometer: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxaarraa View Post
OK, I read all 10 pages but still have an elementary question. The 22HP shown on the dyno - I am assuming that is at the wheel correct? Cannot be at the crank? I mean, stock bike makes 18 HP so I would hope the 351 kit nets more than 4 HP.

I see the dyno chart, and I agree that the 22hp seems a little weak. I think the point of the big-bore kit is more low-end torque than high-end power.
I think it's interesting that the 351 makes within 1 ft.-lb. of max torque at 3750 rpm. I also think it's worth noting that the chart is for a bike with the 351 kit, but with stock exhaust and stock carb.

I'd be interested in an incremental series that charted the benefits of the Mikuni carb and an aftermarket or KLX300 exhaust. It'd be nice to see a chart for a stock KLX250, too, but I realize dyno runs aren't free.

Stumpy Pete screwed with this post 03-24-2013 at 04:21 PM
Stumpy Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 05:43 AM   #148
Danger4u2
KX & CR 500 Rider

Oddometer: 579
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumpy Pete View Post
I see the dyno chart, and I agree that the 22hp seems a little weak. I think the point of the big-bore kit is more low-end torque than high-end power.
I think it's interesting that the 351 makes within 1 ft.-lb. of max torque at 3750 rpm. I also think it's worth noting that the chart is for a bike with the 351 kit, but with stock exhaust and stock carb.

I'd be interested in an incremental series that charted the benefits of the Mikuni carb and an aftermarket or KLX300 exhaust. It'd be nice to see a chart for a stock KLX250, too, but I realize dyno runs aren't free.
I took my bike to Bill Blue and he did my conversion. His 351cc kit/ pumper carburetor, my supplied full FMF Q4 and KLX snorkel. I've put about 4,000 miles on it without any problems. Don't know what the horsepower is but I really enjoy the KLX now. It's my go to fun bike. I did drop one tooth on the front sprocket for more low end, runs comfortable at 55 mph but it will still do 70 mph for short bursts.

Danger4u2 screwed with this post 03-25-2013 at 07:11 PM
Danger4u2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 08:31 AM   #149
Stumpy Pete
Semi-Regular Guy

Oddometer: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxaarraa View Post

The short answer is yes, the 351 bore kit alone will get you roughly five hp and five ft-lbs.

Stock: 19.30hp, 13.12 ft-lb

With big-bore kit: 24.58 hp and 18.75 ft-lbs

More power and torque is available with further modifications.

http://www.kawasakiforums.com/forum/...e2/#post482824

I like that much of the gain is available between 4000 and 5000 rpms. I haven't done any of this yet, but I'm thinking about starting with the piston and cylinder and possibly doing the pumper carb later.
Stumpy Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 07:58 AM   #150
corvettechris
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
We just finished a 351 upgrade on our KLX250.

Here is our experience and recommendations for anyone contemplating this upgrade.

We are at 4,500 feet so our jetting and power issues I bet are different than most. When we're riding the mountains at 5000+ feet, the stock KLX just wasn't doing it. Often struggling to maintain 55 mph on uphills. That is with a light rider even and with the dynotjet jet kit. So we decided it was time for MORE POWER CAPTAIN!

We started with the Bill Blue 351 kit. I've done several car and motorcycle rebuilds, and had already adjusted the vales on the KLX, so it only took me an hour to disassemble the bike. Putting it back together took me about 4 hours.

I changed the jetting up two main jet sizes as Bill suggested. It wasn't enough. But we were already a bit lean due to the elevation. Right now we're running a 128 (which is now a bit rich, I'll get to that later). We rode 100 miles to break it in a couple of days later. We could tell that it had quite a bit more power and we gained 10 mph top speed, with the only change being the 351 and jetting. I felt that the bike was still overly plugged up with the stock exhaust, so we ordered the FMF Q4.

We received the Q4 and did the install in 10 minutes. What a huge change. Now the bike has a heck of a lot more power everywhere through the range. And now, with stock gearing it makes 90mph!

Now, with the new pipe, its a bit rich and needs leaned out a little bit, but it is running great. I am not of the opinion that the carb itself needs to be changed. My best friend has been semi-professionally drag racing bikes for years and he agrees that the carb should be fine.

Overall, this upgrade cost about $1,000 which is a lot, but doing it in stages made it more palatable.

A friend of ours has the same KLX and I was telling him yesterday, I think the way I would recommend it now to anyone considering the upgrade is, buy the Q4 (with a quiet core) first, then see how the power is, then if you need more, do the 351 upgrade.

Next up: LED headlight, black and blue plasti-dip paint job

corvettechris screwed with this post 05-14-2014 at 08:12 AM
corvettechris is offline   Reply With Quote