Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2009, 06:16 AM   #46
Bill & Jo Ann Blue OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
It takes me 3.5 to 4 Hrs. to take the top end off & replace it with the new 351 kit. That includes answering the phone a couple of times.
Bill
B&B Cycle Restoration
Bill & Jo Ann Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2009, 12:44 AM   #47
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Oddometer: 1,100
So is the difference between the 22 hp and 26 hp just the carb and the slip on?

Did you guys do a dyno run with the stock 250 engine? I'd be curious to see how it compares - same dyno stock.

Any thoughts on whether it will be less reliable than the 331cc? I would imagine there is a bit more meat in the 331 between the water jacket holes and the sleeves ... will that be a factor?

Thanks guys!

Rick
rickypanecatyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 12:10 AM   #48
customerservice
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickypanecatyl

Did you guys do a dyno run with the stock 250 engine? I'd be curious to see how it compares - same dyno stock.

Any thoughts on whether it will be less reliable than the 331cc? I would imagine there is a bit more meat in the 331 between the water jacket holes and the sleeves ... will that be a factor?

Thanks guys!

Rick
No Slips to show but seen mine hit 20 something Hp on wheels, enigine guts and carb all stock aftermarket slip on stock headers with open air box.

customerservice screwed with this post 03-26-2009 at 12:18 AM
customerservice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 02:59 PM   #49
Bake
adventurer

Oddometer: 10,515
auxilary fuel tank

Ok, well since the cat is out of the bag already, here's where I'm at on our fuel tank.

I've done 2 mock-ups, and the capacity will be very close to 1.1 gal. We plan on making it a complete bolt on arrangement, of course.

We're doing the leftside tank first. I'm not convinced on a right side tank yet. Bill says we're doing it. I feel I want a ____ _____ on the bike to do this. About that, I'll only say __ _____ ___, because I also have that in development.

I think the first tank will be ready for prototype fab in a week. As long as a major rework or something weird doesn't show up, production would start a few weeks later. I need to finish the tooling, but the designs are done. I will post up on the website the 2 prototype tanks ONLY AFTER we have ridden with it a good bit and are satisfied with it.

All B & B CycleRestoration parts are proved out on our bikes beforehand. I will be shooting to have it in fairly rough country testing soon after fabrication is finished.

Bake screwed with this post 03-27-2009 at 03:10 PM
Bake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 03:11 PM   #50
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

hey bake - i was still curious as to what the difference between your 22 hp and Bills 26 hp on the web site was?

Thanks

Rick
Old 03-27-2009, 03:17 PM   #51
Bake
adventurer

Quote:
Yes, and we ran different tires. Mine was run with a D?S 50/50, while Bill's had the stock tire.

Quote:
We haven't spent the $ or time to run a stock bike, no.

Quote:

Thanks guys!

Rick
My feeling is it won't be any different in reliability than if you put in the 331 kit. The vendors of the sleeves, pistons, gaskets...it's all the same or better. I've seen the cylinders of the 331 and 351 side by side, and it's a barely visible difference at the water jacket.
Old 04-04-2009, 05:22 PM   #52
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,589
Bake,

How's your fuel range with a full tank with the 350cc kit compared to the stock range before the conversion?
Old 04-04-2009, 09:04 PM   #53
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Sorry for all the questions guys ... will the 351 kit go on a 99 KLX 300?

Rick
Old 04-06-2009, 07:08 AM   #54
GB
Mod Squad

Old 04-15-2009, 12:45 AM   #55
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

still wondering fellas?
Old 04-15-2009, 09:08 AM   #56
Bake
adventurer

Quote:
still wondering fellas?
Sorry I've not done updating on this thread...lesson learned, and I'll check back more often. Bill and I did the Gyp Hills rides-get together and spent a full day absolutely running our pair of 351's at 90% of our riding capabilities when we got into the open-range on our own. In the afternoon, I ran it 60 miles as hard as I can ride. I was beat for 2 days afterwards. Testing...and a ton of fun also!

Bill doesn't spend much time with websites and threads...he has machine shop work to be doing, so I do the website development and some of the additional fabrication, concept and mock-up work.

On the older 300, I'm not sure about that particular fitment. I'll be in the shop tonite, and I'll check with Bill on that. I'm going to guess if the 300 engine was unchanged through it's production run, it would fit, as the KLX250 and 300 are the same engine in many ways.

In other news:
1st production tank goes to the welder 4/16/09.

I also have many new products in mind. With my experience with the 351 at my recent Gypsum Hills rides, I'm convinced there is a need and a market for serious off-road, TAT level parts. The 351 now has the performance to allow major off road capabilities. Here's a hint...there will be a D/S level support package, with the 34mm carb kit, the basic bashplate, the brake lines, and of course the extra tank....and now I want to offer some Rally-type level parts also. We have 6 items in concept now, and one could be in mock-up quickly, and another one is soon to be in dyno testing, followed by an exciting development in additional performance.

Thanks, guys

Anybody nearby want to loan us an '09 for a couple of weeks??

I'll work with anybody within 500 miles of Wichita, Kansas, and Bill has said a discount on parts could be made on the deal.
Old 04-15-2009, 09:17 AM   #57
Bake
adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy
Bake,

How's your fuel range with a full tank with the 350cc kit compared to the stock range before the conversion?
Riding at good average speeds in D/S mode, my bike with stock modified carb and pipe is returning a reliable 59 mpg. I saw a high of 61 on a lazy, dirt road putt-putt ride. Bill's bike with the 34mm carb and a pipe returns about 50 if you're just touring around D/S style. However, we rode hard at the Gyp Hills, and he went to reserve at 98 miles. Some of that has to do with holding a steady high speed, without a lot of shifting and average speed changes.

Bake screwed with this post 04-15-2009 at 09:04 PM
Old 04-15-2009, 09:48 AM   #58
GB
Mod Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bake
In other news:
1st production tank goes to the welder 4/16/09.
Thanks for the update!

What's this about a bigger tank? PICS???

I'd let you have my 09KLX in a second, but for the distance between us.
Old 04-15-2009, 11:52 AM   #59
HalfPlate
What? Where?

Oddometer: 1,043
THANKS BILL!!!!!!!!

351 Kit is done now just trying to keep the front wheel down whilst I breaks her in
3rd BMW GS Trophy Challenge Qualifier 2012
IBA# 34681 (SS1000)
"luck played a fundamental role" Carlo Boffi
HalfPlate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2009, 12:13 PM   #60
rickypanecatyl
SE Asia adventure tours

Thanks for the update guys! I'm excited about what your doing.

I have a KTM 690 enduro I ride everywhere and my wife has really been getting into riding as well. We were looking at getting her a new Yam WR250R when I heard about you guys. I'd read that though the WR has more hp the KLX has just as much torque and is more user friendly. We do ride on the freeway some with panniers and top bags and so I was concerned a stock KLX just couldn't do it.

I almost pulled the trigger on a 2006 KLX for $2,900 that my plan was to convert it when I stumbled on a '99 KLX 300 for $1,200. Since I want to replace the carb and pipe as well I just feel better doing it on an older one - thus the question of can you put the 351 kit on the 300. Also we ride in some rough areas doing missions type work and consequently are actually "anti-bling" ... if I bought a new one for the reliability I'd trade someone my plastic with an old bike