Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2015, 02:52 PM   #1
chirieac OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Question First bike to buy to learn beginner to advanced off road skils

Hello,

I'm looking to buy my new first motorcycle and I need some help with making a decision.

First let me tell you that I never owned a bike (or a car) before. I just got my license last year. I am 29 years old and I live in Romania.

In the future I hope I will try different types of bikes, like sport bikes maybe. But for now I'll want something that can go off road because of the following reasons:
1. I've read that riding off road will give you more skills that may help you on the street and that will make you a better rider.
2. I can go off road somewhere and learn to ride a bike at my own pace without being exposed to the dangers of pavement roads where other vehicles "live".
3. I live in country side, so there is plenty of off road locations. I even live next to a forest, 1 or 2 km away from my house. The pavement road also are pretty bad, so the long suspension travel of the bike will help there also.
4. I could follow my friend that will be on a 250cc quad everywhere he goes (hopefully), so I'll have a riding partner.
5. It seems like a lot of fun (from watching adventures on YouTube).

Also, I would like to learn advanced skills also, like bunny hop or wheelies or sliding around in corners (if I ever could learn that)... or at least try to.
But of course, to get there first I need to learn the basic skills, so I understand if to get there I will need to wait for the second bike, more powerful/capable.

Since I want the bike to be road legal, I think a Dual Sport bike is what I need. Initially I was only looking at Yamaha WR250R and Honda CRF250L, leaning more towards the CRF because of the modern looks, cheap price and fuel gauge (which gives me confidence in not remaining out of gas). But, since I want to learn more advanced skills, most likely I'll drop the bike pretty often and I'm not sure how tough is the CRF. I hear some stories that things are easily bent on it if dropped, so maybe the WR has more resistance in crashing?

Also, since I may drop the bike often, I'm thinking that maybe I should buy an even more cheap bike, so I've started to look more into the 125cc category, like the Yamaha WR125R. But, I see people complain about the power of even the WR250R, saying is heavy and low-powered, so the 125R could be even worse. But still, I am a beginner so 125cc could seem powerful and good enough for me I guess.

Can guys please give some advice and recommendations?
chirieac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 03:22 PM   #2
wizz
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,465
Start with a wr250r because it's low maintenance, not too much power, street legal and reliable. Good bike to learn and can open up huge range of dual sport adventures. Then, try to find a cheap trials bike. You'll learn more of the advanced skills with a trials bike easier, then transfer those skills to your larger dual sport. And take a class or join a club. Those can help tremendously.
wizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 03:54 PM   #3
stevo7706
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
Best way to develop the skills you want is what millions of youths learn to ride...a good ol' used dirtbike ,preferably a 2 stroke. Perfect for donuts, wheelies, sliding, jumping and of course...crashing. Street bikes come and go but there will ALWAYS be a dirtbike(s) in my garage because they make me feel like a kid again. Most fun you can have on 2 wheels, IMHO
stevo7706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 05:20 PM   #4
Trident450
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
id recommend the crf 230 if youre confident, or a ttr125L if youre concerned about getting anything with any power....

4 strokes are reliable as can be, and when the nuclear blasts clear, and the only thing left are cocroaches and rats..... that honda will still run
Trident450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 05:38 PM   #5
Bucho
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,040
Im not familiar with the Yamaha WR125, (they dont sell that in the US).

I think both the Yamaha WR250R and Honda CRF250L are good dualsport bikes. The Yamaha is a little nicer/better suspension/performance, but is more expensive. The Honda might be better if you are short.
Both are good low maintenence dualsport bikes. If you need/want a street legal bike either are good.
If you dont need a street legal bike. There are lighter weight, better dirtbikes out there for learning to ride offroad.
Bucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 05:40 PM   #6
chirieac OP
Adventurer

Thank you for your replies!

Yes, I also thought that maybe a dirt/enduro bike is more appropriate for learning those skills, but unfortunately it will need to be road legal to get to the off road stuff. Plus, there are plenty of dirt roads that are public roads that I was thinking to ride on.
Also, I think I prefer 4 strokes instead of 2 because of the less annoying sound, since I'll want to ride around through my village. People may get less annoyed by the 4 strokes sound.
Old 03-16-2015, 05:45 PM   #7
chirieac OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucho View Post
I think both the Yamaha WR250R and Honda CRF250L are good dualsport bikes. The Yamaha is a little nicer/better suspension/performance, but is more expensive. The Honda might be better if you are short.
Both are good low maintenence dualsport bikes. If you need/want a street legal bike either are good.
Between the two, which one will be more resistant to crashes? While I like the CRF more because of lower seat height, fuel gauge, better looks and I could upgrade the suspensions, I would move towards the WR if things doesn't break or bend so easily on it compared to the CRF. I say that because I've read stories where people reported bent handlebars or other parts by crashing at lower speeds.
Old 03-16-2015, 05:49 PM   #8
chirieac OP
Adventurer

A reason why I was looking at WR125R was because is cheaper used (with around $1400-$1500 less that WR250R), so not so hearbreaking when crashed and things gets broken/bent.
Old 03-16-2015, 06:07 PM   #9
BigShooter
Head Flunky

Oddometer: 180
Sounds like you have done some homework on the subject. Both of your top picks would be excellent bikes, with the WR250R probably being the best choose of the two, IMO, if are inclined to the extra cost. Not really sure, either, what all you have availible in smaller bikes over there. However, I imagine you probably have a better selection than in the states. A small bike can be very confidence inspiring and help you learn skills more easily. A lot of them can be more capable than they seem, and you can always trade up. If you can get one at a good deal, you can likely recoup much of your initial investment.
I think a KTM Freeride would be another excellent choice. Light, nimble, and enough power. Though they are pricey, and probably higher maintance. Good luck with your plans.
BigShooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 09:41 PM   #10
sunnyrollins
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
WR Definitely

The WR is a bike you can keep - I wish I had a 250 to take out once and a while when I'm tired and sore from being beaten up on big bikes.

Depending on what you want to learn to do - the WR is more appropriate to learn how to jump, has the power to do hill climbs, bring you to the next level. Not that the Honda doesn't, its just a superior bike and pretty indestructible.

Good Luck and get out and practice. Don't be intimidated to do hot laps, work on your balance, braking, etc. Everyone started out at some point.
'79 RD400 Daytona Special
www.greenlightsandham.com
sunnyrollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 10:33 PM   #11
Bucho
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,040
Quote:
Originally Posted by chirieac View Post
Between the two, which one will be more resistant to crashes? While I like the CRF more because of lower seat height, fuel gauge, better looks and I could upgrade the suspensions, I would move towards the WR if things doesn't break or bend so easily on it compared to the CRF. I say that because I've read stories where people reported bent handlebars or other parts by crashing at lower speeds.
I have a friends with each bike. Ive never owned either but have a bit on my friend's bikes. My friend's Honda had a full exhuast and the power commander. Was closer to Yamaha's performance.

As far as crash damage I think either bike is about the same. Most dualsport bikes come with cheap bars that can easily bend when crashed.
Most guys will swap the stock bars out immediately. Also good wrap around hand guards and a good skid plate are also musts for any bike that will be ridden offroad.
Good luck.
Bucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 04:36 AM   #12
RideFreak
Green Chile Eater

Oddometer: 6,197
The lightest and cheapest street legal enduro you can find. It'll get tore up as you learn, save your $$ for when you have it figured out and buy your second bike.
RideFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 05:15 AM   #13
trailer Rails
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideFreak View Post
The lightest and cheapest street legal enduro you can find. It'll get tore up as you learn, save your $$ for when you have it figured out and buy your second bike.

I am not familiar with the WR125R but that sounds pretty awesome for a beginner. Do not be afraid to beat up on the clutch and motor. That is how a small bike is intended to be ridden. It will also teach you a lot of skills.
trailer Rails is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 05:21 AM   #14
Ddgfarm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 133
A Kawasaki KLX250s would work too. Not quite as nice as a Wr but it has better low end grunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ddgfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 05:46 AM   #15
stevo7706
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
How important is it to be street legal in Romania? Will it be your only transportation? Sounds like your close enough to your playgrounds to not worry about the authorities and if your buddy rides a quad around, an illegal dirtbike makes more sense (to me).
stevo7706 is offline   Reply With Quote